Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September mums-to-be - the bumps get bigger and we all get more excited!

(1000 Posts)
HettySunshine Tue 28-May-13 20:04:10

Here we are ladies. A shiny new thread for us all. Let the chatting continue!

Gaviscon tablets are grim! But I only tried strawberry...

frogchops Tue 25-Jun-13 20:12:48

Just re-read my post, blush god I'm such a grumpy cow grin
Anyway....can we just recap the whole boobicles topic?.... I want to buy a nursing bra....what is everyone doing about guessing sizes? I'm in a 36 c at the mo having only really gone up 1 cup size so far so they aren't huge, but can I expect them to get much bigger? Any non first timers any advice?

jennimoo Tue 25-Jun-13 20:39:18

I think you're supposed to wait til about 37 weeks to get a nursing bra. Then you need one with a bit of room in the cups but the ability to tighten the back a bit. Hope that helps!

JammyTummy Tue 25-Jun-13 21:30:18

Just wondering- those of you who already have kidletts, did anybody use a head support/ cushion type thing when DC was tiny to prevent flat head? One of my friend's little boy is now 8 months with flat head (I forget the name of the syndrome) and the doctor said it is too late to use a cushion now, it should've been used much earlier on to prevent the head misshaping. He recommended a helmet (!) to be worn for 23 hours a day for I can't remember how many months! They said they won't do that, as it is just cosmetic and sounds like a real pain for lo.

andadietcoke Tue 25-Jun-13 22:09:35

jammy one of my friends swears by the Clevamama baby pillow, both for correcting flat head, but also because her baby was a bit colicky and he slept like a dream when she used it.

Belvedere Tue 25-Jun-13 22:19:37

Jammy - my friends little boy also has a flat head. My sister has four kids (so lots of advice and hand me downs) she swears by the cushion. I'm definitely going to use one as really don't want my poor boy to have a flat head.
Gaviscon and I are best friends, I've had so much now I can down the peppermint and aniseed out of the bottle without flinching. It's mega gross though!!

kipsonline Tue 25-Jun-13 22:35:51

Argh. 31 weeks today. Made the mistake of weighing myself. Exactly 2 stone heavier, the same as my entire pregnancies on previous 2 occasions. Beyond grumpy now!

JammyTummy Tue 25-Jun-13 22:46:54

Ok. Clevamama cushion. I'm on it.

kips I'm 2 stone up too.

JammyTummy Tue 25-Jun-13 22:49:45

Wonder if it would fit in a Moses basket?! Probably not...

kipsonline Tue 25-Jun-13 22:52:22

Oh and I also have dietcoke's hideous cold/ aches/ sore throat./ head/ you name it... I am dreading another night of not being able to breath or sleep. I will try the vicks tip now though, I'm intruiged !! As I said, well grumpy....grrrrrr

Wincher Tue 25-Jun-13 22:59:00

Jammy I'm pretty sure the mw was talking bollocks about Braxtonon hicks contraactions - was googling the there day when they really cranked up and most things online agree with this: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/braxton-hicks-contractions

I think the flat head thing corrects itself as they get a bit older...altho my health visitor mum swears that sufficient tummy time will prevent it ever occurring in the first place...

jennimoo Wed 26-Jun-13 06:46:38

My DD didn't like tummy time but we used a sling loads and that helps too, and I expect I'll be using a sling even more to keep up with DD! Unless there seems to be a problem I don't think we'll use a pillow.

andadietcoke Wed 26-Jun-13 07:36:58

Oh kips I feel your pain. Feeling slightly better today but still throw up after coughing - have been sleeping sat up so the catarrh goes down rather than prompting a coughing fit which has worked well.

The other thing the hospital suggested was piriton because it would dry the cold up, and beconase spray to help with sinuses. She did say it was worth sending someone else to get it though because they probably wouldn't sell it to me if they saw I was pregnant!

Hope you feel better soon!

I agree, it sounds like bollocks about the BH. My friend gave birth almost 2 weeks ago. She started having BH at least 2 months ago. Baby was still 4 days overdue (and gorgeous!)

As for flat head, DD1 hated tummy time with a passion, and I didn't get on with slings post CS with a bad back. She never developed even a slightly smoothed head, let along a flat one. Maybe it was because being DC1 she spent a lot of time being cuddled instead of laying down? I don't know. Hoping we have better luck with a sling this time.

ION I had a bit of a probably hormonal outburst yesterday! Walking home, passed a man at a bus stop, and overheard him being racist to a young family! Poor mother, carrying her baby, trying to cross the road, and this man was calling her names and asking if she was really carrying a bomb! shock I'm afraid I saw red, spun round and asked him what the hell he thought he was playing at. He muttered a few excuses and I just exploded at him, ended up ranting at him for a good few minutes, wagging finger and all, and told him he disgusted me! He ended shuffling on the spot staring at his feet. I was so angry I was shaking. So glad I didn't end up bursting into tears too! blush

dakomponist Wed 26-Jun-13 08:03:49

Poor wee bump has hiccups again. Bless! Apparently it's quite common in the third trimester.

kimjayne Wed 26-Jun-13 08:23:01

hello all. ive got a couple questions for you. Firstly im finding baby is moving much less at the moment which is worrying me slightly. As it stands today ive not felt any kicks?! I know from what ive read that hes probably just got no room to move much anymore but I just wondered if anyone else is having similar worries?
Secondly, the last 2 or 3 days ive had bursts of nausea at random times. Last night I had to run out of an NCT class to the loos. I couldnt actually be sick but felt really faint, hot, blurred vision etc.
Again I just wondered if this was normal? im on prescribed Iron tablets at the mo. Not sure if this could be the cause?

andadietcoke Wed 26-Jun-13 08:32:44

Hi kim my movement has changed over the last few weeks - kicks are more subtle and have become more like rolling and wriggling movement, but they do have a routine. I feel one baby in the day, and one at night...

I've had a few episodes as you describe - normally sorted by eating and drinking a fair bit.

However, if you're worried about either the movement or feeling ill, ring your midwife. For movement they've told me to ring when anything changes from 'normal for me' rather than 10 kicks in 2 hours or 10 movements all day, or whatever other guidelines there are.

kipsonline Wed 26-Jun-13 08:42:44

Thanks dietcoke I actually cried in the pharmacy yesterday when they wouldn't let me take away anything for it!! How do we have such bad colds at this time of year?? My DH has hay fever though so I am going to hunt down his meds now and see if they dry up the snot, I can't believe it is possible to generate so much!!!!!
kim I have had similar fainting/nauseous episodes when hungry/tired/hot and also periods of less movement as the boy shifts position I think (although still not head down unfortunately I don't think)
mango good for you! Let's hope it shames him into thinking twice next time..

RunningBear78 Wed 26-Jun-13 09:58:13

I thought we weren't supposed to use pillows for babies!? very confusing.

Well done you MrsMango you should feel proud of yourself! I would say that is the best use of hormonal inbalances I've ever read grin

kim if you are worried about movements phone the mw. it might be worth having a quiet day though, sometimes if you are quite active you don't notice them wriggling so much? i've also had a couple of hot/faint/dizzy/sick episodes, often from getting hot, tired, hungry, travel sick or being in a stuffy room.

JammyTummy Wed 26-Jun-13 09:58:21

Good for you mango! No time for nasty sheltered people!

My bump gets the hiccups quite a lot! It lasts for ages too! Poor sausage.

Both DH and I woke up feeling quite choked up. I put it down to hay fever and gave him a Benydryl, then without thinking twice about it popped one myself! It didn't even occur to me I shouldn't have done it till I read dietcoke post! Eek!

Mooster1709 Wed 26-Jun-13 10:25:48

Yay for you MrsMango!

And kips I'm nearly at the 2 stone mark too, at 30+6. Very depressing. Obviously hasn't stopped me eating.

RunningBear78 Wed 26-Jun-13 10:52:26

I was wondering, those that are feeling a bit ill again, have you recently had the whooping cough vaccine? I had mine yesterday and in addition to a sore arm am feeling a bit ropey. Mw said I might as the vaccine also includes tetnus, diptheria and something else, which we've already been vaccinated against so it is upping our antibodies, which can make us a bit ill. I think I've had whooping cough too, so am in for a double dose of rubbishyness.

On the weight front, if it makes you feel better, I'm at around 2.5 stone (17kg) at 28+3 ... and with JUST the weight the baby puts on from now, I'll weigh more than my dh by 40 weeks shock.

Aw, ty all. blush I'm not normally so volatile I assure you. (He did ask for it though!)

I've just had a text from the new midwife cancelling my appointment for today (another woman in labour, so possibly the most valid reason ever!) But if you're cancelling on someone last minute, surely you call, not just text and hope they get it! I'm very fed up with them now, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if all I get is a couple of texts off the new one before they decide I should be allocated to someone else. I think it's time to speak to someone about this, and possibly complain. sad

andadietcoke Wed 26-Jun-13 12:30:15

runningbear mine was a week ago, but the evening if mine I didn't feel good at all - breathless and hot - took a couple of paracetamol and felt much better.

This thread is not accepting new messages.