Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September mums-to-be - the bumps get bigger and we all get more excited!

(1000 Posts)
HettySunshine Tue 28-May-13 20:04:10

Here we are ladies. A shiny new thread for us all. Let the chatting continue!

Kittenkatzen Wed 29-May-13 19:20:17

Welcome newbies smile

Is c0smos our first confirmed ELCS date? Or have I missed someone else's news? Exciting either way!

I haven't booked my whooping cough jab yet, was going to ask the mw about it at my 25wk appt tomorrow. No experience/real knowledge as to the safety of it but I seem to remember there was a thread on the pregnancy board not too long ago discussing it - might be worth a trawl back to find it?

Does anyone have any bottle advice? I'm planning to bf & have bought a medela swing pump...I want bottles that will interchange well with the real thing! So many options it's really confusing.

Joskar Wed 29-May-13 20:04:17

I trust the whooping cough jab. After everything that's happened with the MMR and the measles epidemic I wouldn't be taking any chances.

NTMummy059 Wed 29-May-13 20:25:06

Hi all.. Just wanted to join please! Due with my first on the 5th September and it's a little girl grin

So excited only 3 months to go!

Is it really weird that I actually want her to come a bit late so she will be oldest in school year? Although I'm sure I'm living in denial about how uncomfortable I will be by then haha!

JammyTummy Wed 29-May-13 20:26:30

I bought a 4 pack of Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles, the ones with the little anti-colic thingy inside. Obviously have no previous experience with them but I heard they're meant to be good!

Kittenkatzen Wed 29-May-13 20:33:49

I have the same as jammy, also planning to bf but hoping to express too so DH can do the 3am feeds get involved smile

Welcome NT!

frogchops Wed 29-May-13 20:36:54

I'm the same kitten, and totally agree with the three am DP call out sharing. Although I'm embarrassingly scared by my breast pump!!

weebarra Wed 29-May-13 21:33:05

ready, my friend is a paediatroc dietician (and also had a 32 weeker) and she said NICU recommended nuk bottles. They are what I used when I gave DS2 a bottle occasionally.

I've read quite a lot about the newer tommee tippee ones leaking....but I guess none of u guys have had a chance to try them out yet so it's difficult to comment!

Hadn't considered NUK...thanks for the tip off weebarra. Was leaning towards Mam, more research required!

Fozziebearmum2b Wed 29-May-13 22:07:32

Ah-lost you all wink wondered why no-one was chatting!

My first baby purchase arrived today-moses basket which is so lovely, got in the sale at M&P. Dh and I just stated at it, can't believe a little person will be in there in about 17 wks...

CharlW1 Wed 29-May-13 22:13:42

I want to bf if I can but want OH to be involved too so have been looking at bottles and everyone seems to recommend nuk - anyway I was in TK Maxx atthe weekend and they had a set of 4 nuk bottles suitable from birth for £12.99 instead of £19.99 - so keep an eye out if you want to go with nuk - otherwise the price for nuk does seem more expensive than other makes.

Welcome to the newbies on the thread smile

Blanketsandpillows Wed 29-May-13 23:24:50

My midwife suggested that I have the whopping cough vaccine at the same time as my 28 week appointment. She said any time between 28 and 32 weeks is ideal.

kimjayne Thu 30-May-13 08:40:40

my midwife doesnt get involved in vaccinations which is annoying as im now having to make a special trip to our gp for the jab. its already proving tricky to get the time off wrk for all these appointments.

badguider Thu 30-May-13 09:54:12

Hello new thread smile

I hope everybody is well? I am feeling very thankful for amazing friends. An ex-work friend I kept in touch with has just given us a whole 'travel system' with pram, buggy and carseat. It's a mamas and papas pliko pramette and looks great. Also a moses basket with stand and a nappy bin and a big bag of maternity clothes.
Another friend has offered us a baby bjorn and bath which we'll get in July.
And an american friend is coming over in the summer with her 16wk old and is bringing me one of these which are £100 here but only $20 there.

So all that's left for us (even though we've not bought anything yet!) is to hire the bedside cot from nct and buy some babygrows, muslins, nappys, creams etc and something for the baby to sleep under (blanket, swaddling blanket, grobag).

Kittenkatzen Thu 30-May-13 10:51:47

Morning all smile

Just ha my 25wk appt with the midwife. All well, hb in the 150s, am measuring a week ahead of dates but she didn't seem concerned. Have booked whooping cough jab for 29 weeks. She pointed out the appt schedule from now on - every 2/3 weeks from now until the end, which brought everything home a bit!

jemimahpuddleduck Thu 30-May-13 11:00:23

Morning All

Back from my holiday and have managed to keep up with you.... Just!

Also had my 25wk appointment yesterday but nothing at all mentioned about the whooping cough, I'm seeing her again at 28 wks do you think it will be too late to talk to her about that then?

I'm not sure if it's because I've been away but tiredness seems to have returned now other than that feeling pretty good.

badguider Thu 30-May-13 11:03:28

hi jemima i'm 26wks today and was told at the 24/25wk one that WC vaccine is not given till after 28 weeks (cause it's for the baby not the mother). I think it might even be 32 weeks here...

The nhs page here says anywhere from 28-38 weeks so you're not too late smile

Wincher Thu 30-May-13 11:05:25

My DH also vetoes pretty much every name I suggest, but won't suggest any himself. It is really annoying! I really like Giles myself, but it doesn't really go with DS1's name.

Wincher Thu 30-May-13 11:08:33

It's weird how different it is for second time mothers, kittenkatzen! I last saw a MW at 16 weeks and won't see her until 28 weeks. Then I don't see anyone again until 34 weeks - at which point I think it goes fortnightly, then weekly at 39 weeks I think.

Kittenkatzen Thu 30-May-13 11:28:42

jemima you're supposed to have the WC jab between 28-32(?) weeks....my mw just said I had to make an appt with the surgery nurse for it - maybe give her a quick call to double check? Hope you had a lovely holiday!

wincher 16 - 28 weeks is a long wait shock

fl0b0t Thu 30-May-13 11:32:25

jemimah I'm tired again too! Not quite 1st trimester tired yet, but grateful of a nap tired!

I read out my list of names I liked (as middle names as we've chosen 1st names) and husband managed "I don't like some of those". I decided this was a Good Thing as he's having an opinion.... he did follow up a good 20 second later with "but I do like some of them"... yes dear!

Mooster1709 Thu 30-May-13 11:53:27

I've booked in my whooping cough vaccination for week 29 I think - I got the impression it didn't make any difference when you had it, as long as between 28 and 32 wks, so wouldn't worry kim.

Emma - what's your labour book? Is it any good? Have been wondering whether to buy a specific book for this. There are bits at the end of my pregnancy books, but wasn't sure if I needed to know more. Also, can any second-time mums out there recommend good baby books? Realised i know an awful lot about being pregnant but not much at all about what to do with an actual baby...

Also, any recommendations for gym/birthing balls? I'd like to try using one as a chair in my office because by the end of the day I'm in agony, but don't want to spend much, so would be good if it could also be used as a birth ball (and on a related note, are birth balls any good? do they help? or just another bit of kit to lug to hospital?). Got one off ebay that arrived yesterday, spent about an hour trying to inflate it, before realising that there was a tear in it...

Mooster1709 Thu 30-May-13 11:55:18

ION our builder has managed to fuse all the electrics in the house, there is a bath in our spare room, and I had to sleep on a sodding futon mattress last night so am in absolute SPD agony this morning. And to top it all off, a yogurt leaked all over the inside of my handbag so I'm going to smell like off milk for weeks.

Mooster1709 Thu 30-May-13 12:02:16

On bottles - I have heard good things about the Medela Calma bottle/solitaire teat. Supposed to work well with bf. Any experience of these? They're not cheap at all, but I find this stupidly reassuring blush.

Hi NT I'm due 29th August and am also hoping she'll be a week late to make it into the next school year! I bet by the end of August I'll change my mind though..

This thread is not accepting new messages.