Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September mums-to-be - the bumps get bigger and we all get more excited!

(1000 Posts)
HettySunshine Tue 28-May-13 20:04:10

Here we are ladies. A shiny new thread for us all. Let the chatting continue!

weebarra Wed 29-May-13 13:05:02

I use reuseables with DS2 who is 2.5 and plan to with DC3. It probably is a bit more work but you do get used to it!

frogchops Wed 29-May-13 13:45:46

Juniper..... Thanks for the heads up on doubling tesco coupons!!

HettySunshine Wed 29-May-13 13:52:17

I'm planning to use disposables for the first couple of weeks until the shock wears off and then move on to reusable ones.

I got a big bag of them with the wraps and some liners at the nct sale but I don't know what size baby they're for as no labels! I'll just try them and see. They seem to be adjustable as they have four poppers on each side.

kipsonline Wed 29-May-13 15:02:26

Hello new thread! We used motherease one size for our 2 DS, after the first few weeks of crazy bowel movements ;)
We're also struggling for boys names (used all our faves already), but not sure I'm brave enough to start a names thread!! Some of the posters are brutal...

Mooster1709 Wed 29-May-13 15:55:06

Hello new thread! I am technologically incompetent and lost you all for a while there...

charl your idea for the hanging holder thing for the back of the door sounds brilliant. I can't sew at all but am going to see if anyone will sell me one!

Runningbear I get very bad hayfever very early (and, touch wood, it seems to have gone now - tree pollen rather than grass I think). 2 GPs very reluctant to give me anything at all for it. Definite no-no to antihistamines apparently. My eyes are particularly bad though and they said Opticrom (sodium cromoglycate) eye drops were fine, even though pharmacist wouldn't sell it to me OTC (got a prescription). Also tried Prevalin nose spray which is safe, but didn't do much for me.

I'm well ahead on all the shopping, but it's all just sitting in boxes in our garage... We're having building work done so can't put anything in what's going to be the nursery yet, or actually build the furniture. I fear I'll be doing that a week before I'm due, the rate the house is progressing...

JammyTummy Wed 29-May-13 16:10:45

Ooh I'd like to see the names thread! Can someone pleas post a link?

Mooster, Ikea hanging holder thing. We got one for DD, she now keeps her hats in it! smile

jennimoo Wed 29-May-13 16:42:38

Joskar - we did cloth for DD from about 2 weeks for a year or so. I didn't find it that much extra work, and nice not to have a full stinky bin. However I don't think we saved money as I bought loads and they started to give DD nappy rash towards the end (that's why we stopped) so I don't know if ill be able use them with this one. There are l

jennimoo Wed 29-May-13 16:43:22

Oops
Loads of places to get them, I quite like fill your pants as the name uses me ;)

jennimoo Wed 29-May-13 16:45:25

Amuses that should be.

And for Rake do remember that if there are lots of people in labour they may not have a MW to send you so be prepared (mentally as we'll as practically!) for them to ask you to go to the hospital... This is what happened to me last time around, but I knew there was a baby boom and therefore it was a strong possibility!

Joskar the g nappies have the option of using biodegradable inners instead of washable ones, which might be the answer if ur more worried about the environment than the cost: http://www.gnappies.com/

Jenni I had a friend who were told they didnt have enough midwifed & she just said 'well I'm not moving so either u send someone out to me or I give birth on my own'....I imagine it was unpopular, but it got her a midwife & a home birth!

Mooster1709 Wed 29-May-13 16:55:50

Thanks mrsMango, though for some reason I first read its name as 'Pussyslinger' and sniggered away to myself. This, I fear, says nothing good about the inside of my head.

fl0b0t Wed 29-May-13 17:05:19

Joskar I plan to use a mix- reuseables for the bulk but disposeables when it suits- environment and cost issue. I've picked up LOADS of outers second hand (yet to work out how they all "work") so they've cost me nothing. I appreciate they can be a bit fiddly and some people report higher nappy rash incidents (whilst others say they got it worse with disposeables), but they're my ideal. Will see how it goes anyway.

I am feeling grumpy today because I had some really scary tummy pains earlier, which have thankfully turned out to be a bit of a tummy bug. Been on the loo all afternoon. Mixed with acid reflux and nausea, I want to hide from the world today.

EmmaDee Wed 29-May-13 17:18:16

Hi all, had a minor panic couldnt find you for a minute!!!

Being considering the reusable nappies myself as I care about the environment, but I actually have no clue how to use them! Must get researching!

I read the first bit of my labour book last night, and actually it disnt scare me as much as I though, cosidering the thought of it turns me into a jibbering wreck! I have been sticking to the notion that Babydee will be delivered by stork or left in the cabbage patch around the 25 September, however the time has come to man/woman up!!!

I also wanted to ask, is there anyone out there who still hasnt felt anything? I havent 23 weeks today. I ocassionally get a feeling as if someone is pushing down on me quite low down, but thats it. I stupidly read some updetting story in the daily mail about a woman whos baby was never moving in the scans etc and have freaked myself out!! But to be honest my baby wasnt moving either. Ugh.

Im sure alls well, but if anyone else has experince I would be really grateful!

Mooster grin

The actual name is no better if you say it out loud, but I suppose it's at least accurate as anyone who's potty trained a child will know!

My new midwife is lovely, and seemed quite confident and no nonsense, which is what I was hoping for. I'm hoping if I start getting stressed and panicking she'll give me a slap and tell me to snap out of it. grin

RunningBear78 Wed 29-May-13 17:30:03

We've been given a ton of re-useable nappies to have a go with, lots of different kinds so i hope some will fit. I suspect we may also go with disposables for the first week or so, until things settle down and i stop panicing

The nappy lady does all sorts of useful re-useable related stuff, including trial packs of different kinds of nappys. They also do flushable paper liners which look like a brilliant idea to me! www.thenappylady.co.uk/liners.html

I have to say I'm struggling to get my head around what I am supposed to do with a nappy full of poo ... i read somewhere to put soiled nappys in a string bag, but surely if you put a nappy full of poo in a string bag for a day or two that is going to start smelling pretty dreadful quite quickly?

thanks for the heads up on the MATB1 form ... work have just asked for one. our on the ball mw totally forgot to sort one out for me today, so just phoned and she'll sort one out for me. wonder what else she has forgotten to do hmm

thanks for the hayfever info mooster i think i might just have to wait and see how things go if it ever stops raining!

Kittenkatzen Wed 29-May-13 17:44:08
JammyTummy Wed 29-May-13 17:49:51

Aww boo its a boys name thread sad
Thanks anyway Kitten
We seem to be taking one step forward two steps back with girls names! DH is being mega picky and not contributing an awful lot!

frogchops Wed 29-May-13 18:14:52

Oooo a boys name thread, exciting. I like seeing everyone's ideas. You're brave kitten, there's some brutal name commenters!!

Kittenkatzen Wed 29-May-13 18:37:55

I was thinking I'd got off quite lightly judging by some other threads I've read! I don't mind the harsh comments tbh - they might point out something awful I'd not thought of, and if not then I'm at liberty to ignore them - the beauty of the Internet grin

jammy my DH is being the same with boys names - I'm getting a flat "no" to almost everything I like, whilst his contributions so far have been Giles and, er, nope I think that's it! hmm

Kind of hope baby is a girl just to make naming easier ha!

Blanketsandpillows Wed 29-May-13 18:45:21

Hello all. I've not really been on these Sept threads but thought I would say hello! I am 25 weeks now....but already I'm feeling impatient and want Sept to be here! Not that I'm ready at all yet!

kimjayne Wed 29-May-13 18:49:25

quick question. Has anyone else booked their whooping cough vaccine? ive booked mine for the 11th june which will be the first day of week 28 for me. ive just read you should have this vaccination between weeks 28 and 32 ideally. I just wondered if I should leave it a little later maybe in order for best protection for baby? also, it worried me slightly that these vaccines arent actually tested or officially proved safe during pregnancy? im guessing it will be fairly safe but just wonderes what your thoughts/experiences might be on this one??

C0smos Wed 29-May-13 18:56:46

Hello
Also a very late joiner although I was on the first thread back in January. I have an ELCS booked for 19th Sept so I have a date to aim for.

I have done absolutely nothing so far, my parents are visiting from overseas in November so I want to keep the spare room as it is for them. Baby will be in a travel cot in our room for the first few months.

I have a girls name I love, but DH not keen, not even thought about boys names yet.

fl0b0t Wed 29-May-13 19:02:17

emmadee our baby is called babyd because of our surname smile

I feel like I'm being a bit lax leaving things up to the midwife (whooping cough etc).... but I'm trying to relax and enjoy pregnancy.

jennimoo Wed 29-May-13 19:12:04

Reusable nappies and poo... Newborn poo pretty much bypasses all liners but as its liquidy the washing machine does the job. And I was disposable liners so you just put them down the toilet with most of the poo. As long as you dry pail (don't rinse / wet them, leave in tight sealed bucket) smells fine.

This thread is not accepting new messages.