Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September mums-to-be - the bumps get bigger and we all get more excited!

(1000 Posts)
HettySunshine Tue 28-May-13 20:04:10

Here we are ladies. A shiny new thread for us all. Let the chatting continue!

SGJ Tue 28-May-13 20:26:17

Well done Hetty! Shiny new thread smile

frogchops Tue 28-May-13 20:32:18

Can't believe how quick we waffle through these threads!!

CharlW1 Tue 28-May-13 20:38:24

We chatter so much - so glad I am part of such a lovely group!

Hello, shiny new thread! I did a bit of baby buying today - I am down in Devon with my parents and went to the Heathcotes fabric factory shop - got a piece of printed cotton in a baby pattern the size of a cot quilt. It is blue all around the sides, yellow, red and green in the middle with pictures of robots and funny clockwork animals. I got a piece of red cotton to be the backing side, and will get wadding in my local market and teach myself machine quilting - it will become a playmat/emergency quilt.

ION, I am delegating all the nesting to DH. He finishes work at the end of this week to become househusband, so I have been preparing him a very long list of things to do grin including going to baby first aid class, building cot and changing table after getting them from the loft and maybe sanding and repainting the table, sorting DS out with school uniform and when to turn up in Sept. Thanks to excellent reminders at the end of the last thread, I'll add 'prep a birth-bag' to the list, although am still planning a home birth. I might take him to my next MW appointment, and we can ask about a hospital tour - I'm thinking that we need the "if you transfer in by ambulance" type of tour, which is probably a bit different. I wonder if they do those at all. It will be bewildering and stressful enough if that has to happen, without the added factor of never having been anywhere other than the scans dept.

Just checking in so I can find you all again! smile

CharlW1 Tue 28-May-13 21:44:50

Flo apparently using cream down below is off the banned list now - though it will be a while until I am brave enough to put any more down there for a while blush

I have been getting bits and pieces for baby but I am getting loads from my sister so will be getting cot etc in the next few weeks. I have been quite creative though and I'm currently knitting my second baby blanket, I also have a cardigan on the go. I also love sewing so Rake I'll be doing the same as you and getting some lovely fabrics and being all creative - I think the first thing I will do is something I can hang on the back of the door with lots of pockets for nappies, cream, muslin clothes etc so they are at hand.

Kittenkatzen Tue 28-May-13 22:03:25

Marking place, thanks hetty

Ooh rake thanks for the reminder to look into baby first aid classes...

Can't remember who was asking about cloth nappies at the end of the last thread...my bro is giving us some G nappies so we're going to see how we get on with those (think I may end up getti g disposable inserts at the very least as we have nowhere to dry the washing!). We've also got a cheeky wipes kit which seems a fairly straightforward replacement for disposable wipes.

weebarra Wed 29-May-13 07:17:56

Hello new thread!
Really annoyed, was at the supermarket last night and when I got back some lady accused me of denting her car door with mine! I know I didn't as I am always really careful now the bump is bigger. She wouldn't believe me and said she'd report me to the police. I was actually quite pleased I held it together til I got home and cried on DH

Kitten I have been getting these things by email. Last MW appointment I had (they are held in a children's centre, formerly a sure start centre) they made me sign up for information, and so far I have had three: the first was a course for "mums of boys aged 2.5-5" very specifically not parents of boys, about how "boys are different" which made me angry at first then confused and irritated because it gave no location or timings, so on balance I think it was for mums of boys with no father figure in their lives. Then I got the first aid one, then the latest is "handling anger in the family" ?!? ... we live in a quite deprived and low employment area, I suppose the child and family services reflect that.

Kittenkatzen Wed 29-May-13 08:00:29

Wow rake that's a bit worrying/scary! Especially the anger one shock still, at least some help is being offered I guess which can only be a good thing. The "mums of boys" one sounds odd - you'd think they'd stipulate that it's for single mums if that's the case!

Wincher Wed 29-May-13 08:28:47

Hello all!

Suffering a bit of pelvic pain this morning, am hoping it's just an after effect of swimming 1km last night and that it will pass soon .

Had my GTT yesterday so am glad that's over - I'd be verybsurprised if I have gestational diabetes but you never know I guess.

JammyTummy Wed 29-May-13 09:24:38

DH had me in tears this morning relaying the story/ photos of Baby 59 from China who was found in a drain pipe. It's such a sad sad story, really makes you think about the different circumstances under which people have babies! Makes you feel so lucky.

flipflump Wed 29-May-13 10:04:53

I'd love to be creative, like you ladies. I have the best intention, sewing machine etc but I seriously lack skill!!! There is a local fabric shop running courses, thinking of treating myself, so said machine can be put to use. I tried making some bunting for the nursery, got frustrated and abandoned it - told you I was rubbish! My mum is a dab hand with knitting needles and has made 2 gorgeous pram blankets, 3 cardigans, 2 little beanie type hats and a teddy bear. So amazing!!! She has now started on the most stunning shawl. Maybe that's why I don't try harder?! This will be 5th grandchild for my parents, I thought she would be bored of knitting by now.

flipflump Wed 29-May-13 10:09:18

Jammy DH showed me that video last night too. So terribly sad! Awful that parents felt that was their only option. It is wonderful that baby survived but tragic that his life history is so tainted when it has only just begun.

ION, how did it go on names board? How's everyone getting on with choosing? We think we have one boys name and one girls, unless we have a wobble. We haven't gone for anything unusual, they are fairly popular but all names we love are popular and I think that's for a reason.

frogchops Wed 29-May-13 10:37:09

Hormonal emotional teary snivelling mess I am today. I feel like lots of little things have accumulated (although I couldn't name them :-/) and have me ready to blow. Then I get to work and some fat lardarse obnoxious vile woman picks a petty issue with me and I lose it. confused

Kittenkatzen Wed 29-May-13 10:44:26

<hands chocolate to frog> bitch slap her and blame it on the hormones grin (ok I'm joking, don't actually do that - but the thought might make you feel a bit better!)

flip I didn't get round to posting on the names board yet as there were one or two similar threads already there so thought I'd see how they develop first. Might go and do it now though....we have a girls name chosen, it's boys names we're struggling with.

Aw frog, I hope your day gets better. Go hide somewhere and have a good cry, always makes me feel better. ((hugs))

I'm avoiding any reports on that poor baby at the moment, I know I will end up a sobbing wreck. sad

Love my new bump band, I might have to go buy another so I never have to go without! I slept in it, and I didn't wake up in pain at all. Big improvement.

Got my midwife appointment very soon, so will be meeting my new midwife, the third one. Supposed to have continued care by one midwife, but through one admin error or another, I've had all my four appointments with different people, three midwives and a consultant, who was confused as to why I'd been referred! grin Not really worried though, it's pretty much the same community team as when I had DD1, and I know a fair few of the hospital team as I work on site.

RunningBear78 Wed 29-May-13 10:57:30

Hello shiny new thread!
Just back from my mw appointment. Managed to remember to mention my funny turn at the swimming pool the other day, she just smiled and said she had some other poor lady faint on her the other day ... clearly she isn't worried! Totally forgot to ask about hayfever medication in anticipation of one of the worst summers for pollen, and was there some form we need to get?
bub's heart is still working and just by looking apparently the baby's growth is fine.
that was it. at least she isn't worrried about me!

Kittenkatzen Wed 29-May-13 11:03:10

runningbear I think you're supposed to be given your MATB1 form around now for handing in at work - I've my mw appt tomorrow and have been told she'll give it to me then. Might be worth a call just to check a I know there's a deadline your work will need it by?

Name thread started - eek!!

Wincher Wed 29-May-13 11:26:11

I don't have a 24 week appointment so won't get my matb1 formnuntil my 28 week appointment. I checked with work but this is fine apparently, the important thing js I've let them know and I can give them the form and all the other paperwork when I have it.

Joskar Wed 29-May-13 11:43:47

You need to notify work 15 weeks before the due date but you can send the MATB1 in later. I filled out my paperwork two weeks ago so they could advertise for a replacement (which they did immediately!) and I'm going to give them the MAT form tomorrow.

readytosettle it was me who mentioned cloth nappies. Two of my friends are using them with great success. I'm pretty uncomfortable with the notion of all the extra landfill but I don't want to make life impossible for myself especially as we don't have mains electric so doing laundry is always a bit of a headache. I thought I'd at least try it though. Seemingly if you use muslin squares at first they are cheap and dry quickly and you get waterproof outers.

Has anyone used them before? Where did you get them? Is it worth it?

juniper9 Wed 29-May-13 12:48:59

I bought a mamalicious support band too- feels great! Also wearing compression socks as I'm just about to go on holiday! Off to ibiza hmm. Not sure I'm going to be their typical type of tourist (with my gaviscon sachets).

If anyone has any tesco club card vouchers, quite a lot of the baby stuff on tesco direct is part of their double up scheme. My mum's buying us a cot with her vouchers smile

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Wed 29-May-13 12:57:20

Hello

Panicking a bit now as we don't have a room ready for the baby! I think I may have to start doing the DIY myself soon or shame DH in to it. I haven't bought a thing either but I have most things still from DS. I do need to sort my life out a bit.

This thread is not accepting new messages.