Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sloths, slugs and heffalump bumps-july13

(974 Posts)

Hope this works

Photograph- have no experience with mat forms unfortunately.
Notprincess so glad no protein keep going.
Enjoy dorset dinky and the massages. Happy holidays to al of you getting a break
Esme hope the bh settle, glad the baby is in the rightplace.
I am still the itchiest lady on the planet. Poor dh did actually search everywhere in london in middle of sunday night but no joy for open chemist. Just seen obstetrician and i do have choleostasis. Bit shocked. Best case scenario is take the meds and get to 40weeks on the day and be induced. Just have to wait and see if respond to meds, if not will be induced in 1-2 weeks. Suddenly have to get myself sorted faster- nanny, work etc. still at leastnot just sign of madness all the itching

photographerlady Tue 28-May-13 14:31:00

- sets up camp -

Hope the itching improves, princess.

I just ran to an emergency at work - I've become so unfit in the last 8 weeks, but it's great to know I can still manage it, just!

Runswithsquirrels Tue 28-May-13 15:01:19

Thanks for the new thread Princess.

It's now pouring with rain here in London, but the last two days have been lovely so can't complain. We went to Mothercare on Oxford Street to test drive our choice of pushchair. We decided on the Bugaboo Bee for weight etc but it seems so low. However all the others have enormous wheels and won't fit in our tiny boot so Bugaboo Bee it will have to be!

Still have had no BH and 35 weeks today. Am now completely convinced baby will just appear without contractions or pain smile

photographerlady Tue 28-May-13 15:05:01

runswith I am in London too today and its nonstop rain, not looking forward to that mad dash to the station later after work.

Runswithsquirrels Tue 28-May-13 15:52:45

That mad dash where people never notice you are carrying one extra human being about and either walk straight into you or wait until you move out of the way. Ah, London!

MummyKanny Tue 28-May-13 16:21:11

Ooh thank you princess for the new thread - love the title.

Runswith, I decided to go with the Bee too after much deliberation. Which colour did you go for?

How is everyone doing? I am 32+5, the days are speeding by. I finish work at 37+1 so am willing the next few weeks away! I am in London too and the commuting is starting to take its toll.

This is probably a silly question but - does anyone know what size nappies to get? I'm so confused! It seems sensible to me to get some size 1 and size 2 ones but I have no idea how many of each to get to start with.

What is everyone's view on cot bumpers too? I'm really not sure about them, I've read that they weren't recommended due to the potential limit to the air flow to the baby, but everyone seems to have them!

dinkystinky Tue 28-May-13 16:36:57

Hello all and thanks for new thread Princess llama - I have a child free hour now while kids are off doing crafty stuff (ideal for a rainy day) in kids club and dh is off having his massage. At the end of my massage they used a minty mama mio foot gel on my feet - supposed to be v good at easing puffiness and felt like bliss - would recommend to anyone suffering from swollen feet/legs.

Princess llama - at least now you know what is causing the crazy itching and having an action plan in place - though am sorry its heaping unnecessary stress on top of all the stress you have right now. Sending you hugs, portion and anything else that might help you feel better right now.

Mummykanny - get a couple of packs of size 1 and see how you go from there. Supermarkets/pharmacies will be open post birth and you can see how quickly your baby is growing. Would avoid cot bumpers I'm afraid - they are an unnecessary cost and potential risk zone.

Photographer - all mat leave etc policies should be available in writing to you as part of your handbook/terms and conditions.big they haven't made it available to you yet, get a copy asap and use it to chase your boss up.

dinkystinky Tue 28-May-13 16:37:50

Hmm big should read if - damn you autocorrect!

dinkystinky Tue 28-May-13 16:39:10

PS Runs - am using my humungobump as a battering ram in rush hour - is proving surprisingly effective!

MummyKanny Tue 28-May-13 16:40:57

Thanks, dinky - I seem to be forgetting that shops will indeed be open once baby arrives! Hope you're enjoying your break - foot massage sounds like absolute bliss!

Runswithsquirrels Tue 28-May-13 17:58:50

MummyKanny - going for the bright yellow. I love yellow and like the way it stands out.

BB01 Tue 28-May-13 18:44:03

Marking my place!

Abzs Tue 28-May-13 18:44:41

Had my 34wk appointment yesterday with my GP (per policy up here) and true to current form forgot to ask for a prescription for more iron tablets and had to go back. I remembered on the way out of the practice door.

I also had the first of the NHS ante-natal classes. Was supposed to cover what to expect in the first few days/weeks, but I don't feel like I learned anything really. Two more on friday - feeding and relaxation techniques. Then two next week on labour and birth. No hospital tour here - infection control cited as the reason.

MrsRoss26 Tue 28-May-13 19:52:55

Hi all, seems like the further we go the more mixed bag we get in terms of issues. The choleostasis sounds like a real pain; I hope those wanting an induction get it soon. How did this swing round so quickly though? It seems like yesterday we were talking about morning sickness, now we have Oliver with us and at least one on the way today!

Having hit 31wks (now 31+6) I seem to have hit the tiredness wall, and have started getting more dizzy spells. Today I ended up lying on my office floor to shake it sad must remember to eat smaller meals!

Thanks for the new thread too, the bumps are definitely getting bigger! I have a wedding this weekend and can really recommend Seraphine for a great fit - thanks to JLewis the price was reasonable too, even for a 1-wear item.

MummyKanny Tue 28-May-13 20:09:37

Runs - snap! It's a lovely colour - will look fab in the sunshine and will cheer everyone up in the rain smile

Totally agree with the tiredness, it's unbelievable how it has just hit me out of nowhere. Lots of nice baths and yoga over here.

DH just asked me if I was sad about coming to the end of the pregnancy - what do others think? I have loved it so far and I'm sure I'll miss the bump (and having little chats when nobody else is around!) but the excitement of meeting BabyKanny wins hands down!

BadMissM Tue 28-May-13 20:24:00

32+2 today.... am acquiring a humungobump to rival Dinky's!

Very tired too....

waves to everyone

Beginningofthejourney Tue 28-May-13 20:27:32

Just catching up with the threat with strict instructions to sit with my feet up as I just (tmi coming up!) got out the shower and 'wet' myself and it was straw ? Waters! and now having some tightening! Really want to pack my bag better and dry and straighten my hair (vain I know!) but think I should stay put for now! Hoping this bubba listens to the instructions to wait until June but will keep you all posted!
33+5!

CitizenOscar Tue 28-May-13 20:45:35

Hi everyone!

Hoping people with choleostasis and other pregnancy worries are doing ok.

I started annual leave on Friday before ML and feels weird I won't be going back for ages! On holiday now, and off to a wedding. It's outdoors mostly so really hoping it doesn't rain! Won't be able to drink through it unlike everyone else. wink

Have mini hospital bag with me & really hoping I don't need it. (34 weeks ish now.) feeling big & unwieldy but otherwise pretty ok I guess.

Cot bumpers really aren't necessary btw. Re ML they have to write to you but as far as I know it's not a case of them approving it; it's your right to choose when you go etc, so I think they just have to acknowledge your plans. Might be wrong though.

Beginning have you called your MW?!

Beginningofthejourney Tue 28-May-13 21:43:34

Yes called triage, they want me to come in if leaking continues...looks like I'm going in, there is not loads but enough and 'period pains' have continued, assume them to b contractions, although hoping they are BH! Just distracting myself on here...or in denial!

MummyKanny Tue 28-May-13 21:46:42

Ooh Beginning that is so exciting! Hope you're feeling okay?!

MrsMillions Tue 28-May-13 21:51:45

Eek Beginning, keep us posted and good luck!

Dinky - my shoes are feeling tighter so that foot rub stuff sounds fab, will keep my eyes out for it. Car is a 5-door Polo, practical but will still fit in our garage. Just had a v painful 1 hour phone call to arrange bank loan for it - after using savings, bonuses etc to buy everything else so far, decided not to deplete further (MrsMillions name is hope not reality!!) and that this was better than garage finance, but despite it being our existing bank with all our details on their system they seemed to need our life story...that's the credit crunch for you, far more questions than I was ever asked about our mortgage. Grrr. Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

My belly button was trying to pop out earlier this evening but seems to have relaxed since. Suspect it's only a matter of time before it happens properly.

DH made pancakes for pudding tonight, very tasty, could fancy a few more over coming weeks! Just had lemon/sugar on them first, then I broke out the Nutella.

Yay to no protein, Notprincesskate. But Princessllama sorry about the itching diagnosis (not going to attempt to spell it at this time of night).

MarieKL Tue 28-May-13 22:02:12

Hi all, sounds like a lot has happened in the last few days.

Princessllama thank you for the new thread. I really hope all the meds are effective and you manage to do everything you want before baby arrives.

Beginning hair straightening is very important smile Let us know how you get on.

Photographer citizen's quite right, they should acknowledge to confirm your dates but it's up to you when you go. If you're using annual leave first I'd check that's been approved. You'll accrue annual leave whilst on mat leave too so worth checking if depending on your holiday leave year you can carry any accrued annual leave over, though you've probably done that already. I know in some organisations even if you're on mat leave you need to get permission to carry over! I'd say definitely worth chasing your manager and or HR.

Runs I didn't have BH with DS and I haven't had any this time round either. My baby is going to appear by stalk through the hospital window, Dumbo style smile

Totally I'm very impressed with the running. Great you can still do it.

Really feel for all those communting into London. I did that when pg with DS and it wasn't much fun.

Can't remember who went out and brought more maternity clothes recently but I entirely understand. I'm not planning on being pg again but I'm sorely tempted to buy more clothes as so feed up having nothing to wear.

I hope all those away, or with weddings coming up have a great time, and all those feeling shattered manage to get the rest you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now