Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

June 2013 - Thread 7 - Getting closer!

(993 Posts)
Sarah2506 Sat 11-May-13 11:35:58

We got full! Hope everyone manages to find their way back here:-)

pinkbear82 Mon 13-May-13 22:52:43

red you are right. babies can tell the different smell of Mum within a short time.something to do with hormones and milk production if I remember rightly. so I would think blanket/toy hugging a good theory! And a nice thing to do anyways.

my one remaining cat has become very demanding since her brother went awol. I brought a glass of milk to bed as I fancied it, went for a wee to come back and find her lapping out of the glass! no milk for me sad

cyclecamper Mon 13-May-13 23:01:36

Redwelly - I did do something similar when coming home. I've had the same squashy pillow in hospital for the week before birth, I leaned on it when giving birth and used it to support the baby for feeding in hospital. When we came home, I slipped the cover off it and lay him on it when he was being put in the pram or seat to make it familiar. If he'd had to stay on the neonatal ward I would have tried to send it.

We got home on Saturday night. My husband and step son read through the entire boys section (out loud) of the baby name book that my sister brought when she came to collect us from the hospital. We decided on Thomas Nye - we will call him Nye and when he is older he can use whichever he likes.

He is still feeding pretty well, although quite windy. We are going to register him tomorrow. I am still really out of it - I can't get my brain together at all! We still don't have a matress - he's got a rolled up blanket, although mostly I fall asleep feeding him and he sleeps on my lap. He's such a little dot! It is like feeding a doll. smile

AlohaMama Mon 13-May-13 23:18:38

Congrats on getting home camper. Glad to hear it's all going well, and what a lovely name - I've never known any Nye's but I really like it. Good tip on the blanket/pillow case too, perhaps I shall start to sleep with something. As everyone says, nothing to loose.

SunnyL Tue 14-May-13 07:43:00

Awwww just opened up the iPad and the last search on google was 'Dad and baby activities in xxxx county'. Just made me go all warm inside the DH is thinking about these things.

4th last day at work today! Mind you if I spend as much time pratting about on the Internet today it's technically only 3 days left of work.

SunnyL Tue 14-May-13 07:43:54

Oh and cycle - cracking name choice. Not heard of a Nye round here but it is unusual without being bonkers. Kudos my friend!

DontmindifIdo Tue 14-May-13 07:48:59

oh Cycle - that's lovely! (I know a little toddler called Nye, although it's short for Aneurin - it's a Welsh name, and as in Aneurin "Nye" Bevan, the Health Minster who came up with the NHS - if you've got to have a celeb with your name, it might as well be one who did something truely fabulous to improve the life of millions of people over the years!)

AlohaMama Tue 14-May-13 07:53:10

Sunny glad I'm not the only one being totally unproductive at work. 'Worked' at home today, but got distracted by washing baby clothes, starting to pack the hospital bag, and looking up recipes for snacks to take to hospital (so far nigella breakfast bars and banana nut muffins). I just can't generate enthusiasm for work, especially because I know I'm leaving.

MrsBri Tue 14-May-13 08:17:42

Morning!

Congratulations on going home, cycle :-) And a lovely name too. I know of a Nye, but just the one, and he's an older teenager, so not a recent naming.

Banana nut muffins sound amazing, Aloha. May look those up too.

I have to log into work today to get some statements finished. Boo! Won't take long, but I've switched off from work now!

Still lounging in bed for now though...I don't envy those of you still working at all.

DontmindifIdo Tue 14-May-13 08:24:23

oooh, banana nut muffins sound goood. which recipe are you using? (thinking of making some tomorrow afternoon)

Congrats on coming home, cycle smile Nye is a lovely name - I used to work with a Nye, he'd be in his 40s now I guess. Never come across another till now.

Redwelly - I swear that shoving a muslin or similar in your bra to sleep with helps settle LO, I used to do that when DS was in nicu, I'd forgotten about it till you mentioned it.

Today's job: finish packing hospital bags, I'm being admitted tomorrow night shock and still not ready. Got my final antenatal appt in a couple of hours, and I'm just hoping that I don't have to stay in for steroids - I'm not taking my hospital bag, just on principle grin

learnermummy Tue 14-May-13 09:40:50

Congratulations on getting home cycle, love the name. We're still debating names here and after finding one we both kind of like we realised last night that DH's cousin's daughter has that name (and we share the same surname) so it's a no-go. Back to the drawing board...

Good luck tomorrow Rue. This is all getting a bit too real...

MrsBri Tue 14-May-13 09:54:46

We had that problem, learner, though we don't share a surname, we didn't want to use a name already in use by my cousin.

If anybody is interested in getting sunglasses for baby, Pumpkin Patch has them in the sale with free delivery for today only. We've got pink and blue and will donate the pair we don't need to someone else. Or keep them in case number 2 is the opposite sex! At £3.99 a pair, they're a bargain.

www.pumpkinpatch.co.uk

pinkbear82 Tue 14-May-13 09:59:43

glad you are Home cycle and a lovely name!
Still debating names here. much harder via snail mail.... did consider telling dp I'd picked a really random name and I wasn't going to be persuaded other wise. figured may not be the best approach!

good luck rue, and fingers crossed you get home again today.

ever since someone mentioned flapjacks yesterday I've wanted to make some - I am pretending I've not seen anything about banana muffins today's delights!

last night possibly holds the record so far for getting up to wee, pretty much every 20 mins. proper Big wees too not silly ones. drove me insane. the cat wasn't best pleased either!

have good days ladies x

MrsBri Tue 14-May-13 10:07:05

Yes, good luck Rue. Not long now!

Can't get over how real it's all becoming. Eek!

Goodluck today Rue.
Congrats on getting home cycle.
We still haven't picked a name, finding it very difficult.
Just looked thought all my recipe books as the mention of flapjacks and muffins got me drooling. I've looked through the books and decided that's all I have the energy for!

learnermummy Tue 14-May-13 10:12:56

I had to make flap jacks yesterday after reading that too! They won't last till due date though smile.

Think baby has her first hiccups at the moment!

MrsBri Tue 14-May-13 10:15:35

Ooh, I find hiccups disconcerting. I rub baby's back until they resolve!

AlohaMama Tue 14-May-13 10:17:38

I'm trying Dan Leopard honey nut banana muffins. I haven't used the recipe before so we'll see how they go. Prob not till Thurs or Fri though as next two days are in the office sad.

Pinkbear, debating names via snail mail sound hard work. Will you get to see dp soon, or not before baby arrives? Glad we already have the name thing covered having chosen it already in case ds was a girl. Mind you apparently its now the most common name in the world according to mnet baby boards but I'm ignoring that.

OK it's 11 pm here...back to sleep if I can manage 5 minutes without having to get up to pee again

pinkbear82 Tue 14-May-13 10:26:38

the thought that I could actually buy a flapjack and stop drooling has just struck me.

trouble is with dp he's 4 hours journey away sad transfer closer has been declined. it would have to be an overnight stay and I think I'd only get to see him for max of an hour. I'm not sure I can justify the expense and knowing my luck bubs would decide to make an appearance! plus actually seeing him and then having to leave again I think would break me

Steffanoid Tue 14-May-13 11:02:53

I bought one of those tubs of flapjacks a couple of days ago, they're calling me from the cupboard now.....

this may sound like a really silly question but im.a first timer and dont think.anyone's said before, how do you know it's your waters breaking rather than a small touch of incontinence? im presuming it doesn't smell like wee, it it clear, yellow, pink? I know if it's green or black thats bad but I dont know what's normal? and do you feel it from your bump? like would the baby jump about?

sorry if thats a stupid question hmm

Olimoss Tue 14-May-13 11:07:42

Excellent news Cycle, and I love the name......there's a little toddler across the street from us named NYE and he's very cool indeed.

Good luck Rue - ermagawd! Hope it goes the way you want.

My bump is SORE. And I can't now do much at all without it going tight. It's only softer when I'm sitting or lying down. Not heaps of fun. Think I must be looking truly enormous now as keep catching other ladies giving me sympathetic looks.....lord.

Two weeks today will be all CSectioned. Terrifying...!

Sunbeam18 Tue 14-May-13 11:27:11

Nye is lovely, cycle! Great choice! Xxx

ella0 Tue 14-May-13 11:56:47

Steffanoid, in our antenatal class the midwife said you'll know it's your waters as if you wear a pad after it happens it should carry on coming out over time (even if you get a gush rather than trickling) whereas if you wet yourself it would stop after it happens. She said that waters should be the same colour as wee (straw-like - if it's different we need to call the hospital), therefore the colour isn't much use in helping you judge and she also wouldn't recommend smelling it to see!

arlandria666 Tue 14-May-13 12:01:10

Just had a home visit from midwife baby is measuring over the 90th centile does this mean i will have a whopper lol?
Also she wrote on my notes 3/5th palpable does anyone know what that means?

MrsBri Tue 14-May-13 12:04:16

I think it means you're halfway to engaged :-)

How far along are you now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now