Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

June 2013 - Thread 7 - Getting closer!

(993 Posts)
Sarah2506 Sat 11-May-13 11:35:58

We got full! Hope everyone manages to find their way back here:-)

Olimoss Sat 11-May-13 12:43:36

I have. Thank you!

pinkapples Sat 11-May-13 12:44:42

Yup I found it too!
Just marking my place

MrsBri Sat 11-May-13 12:52:33

Hello! Me too :-)

Lovely post from sparkle regarding names and her grandmother on the previous thread. So lovely that she was able to be told.

Hawkmoth Sat 11-May-13 12:53:04

Hello!

Yes to the paranoia... Over many things!

Particularly not enjoying losing gobs of MP. About a teaspoon at a time. I know it's normal, and my actual MP was a huge handful very close to giving birth last time (a memorable moment showing that to DH)... But it's so grim!

MrsBri Sat 11-May-13 13:02:03

Not sure I'm looking forward to that, Hawk. I've got increased CM, but it isn't the plug.

Bit grim these latter stages, aren't they, with all the fluids we lose at various points! :-/

BumbleBee2011 Sat 11-May-13 13:27:20

Marking my place!

Yes to grimness - though last time I only saw bits of the MP while actually in labour, wasn't too sure what it was and it totally freaked me out! shock

I thought the days after the birth were much worse regarding fluids, especially in June, it was really warm so I'd wake up in a puddle of sweat/milk/drool (til I got a sleep bra and breast pads, then it was just sweat and drool! grin) ...not to mention whatever was going on downstairs.

Such a glam time - at least DH wasn't too traumatised or we wouldn't be at this point again wink

SunnyL Sat 11-May-13 13:35:06

Right - I took on the shops today and I think I won. Pretty sure I now have everything I could ever possibly need for me and baby for the first 4 weeks. This means I can finally pack my bag this afternoon after the ticking off I got from the midwife.

Bargains to be had in Boots - £5 off if you spend £20, plus a free bag and points for joining the parenting club plus a free entry to a raffle for some freebies. Got some gloriously huge nightshirts from Primark that have buttons down the front to allow me to breast feed. Only dampener was I couldnt buy the sandals I liked in M&S because some dozy sod has walked off with a 6 and a 6 1/2 so I couldn't get a matching pair.

Now going to ignore the dog and collapse on the sofa.

pinkapples Sat 11-May-13 13:42:56

Aww sunny good on the bargains
I on the other hand also took on the shops and my dad epically failed on the bargain front... I managed 2 nursing bras 30pound on their own plus 2 pairs of jogging bottoms (I was rather worried I'd be goin home from birth in pj bottoms as I only wear jeans really) some nursing pyjamas breast pads x60 then more clothes for little'un my dad couldn't resist hehe and 2 smaller blankets as all I had were HUGE all in all nearly 200pound spent confused but I managed to convince dad half of that was his fault for buying the clothes which she really didn't need

pinkbear82 Sat 11-May-13 14:08:29

marking place!

loving all the shopping going on! Apparently ladies we'll all have little
humans in the very near future that will appreciate all this small stuff that takes up so much space!

AmIGoingMad Sat 11-May-13 14:17:29

No time to catch up right now but marking my place for later!

I'm sat on the sofa with a sleeping DS on top of me, so had time to catch up on here - hurrah for smartphones grin

What has everyone been told to take to hospital for the baby? Had my pre-op for section yesterday, and she went through what I needed to bring and now I can't remember half of it! Babygros, vests, hat (will have to buy one, god knows where our current ones have got to!), blanket, nappies, am I missing anything?

I'm going in to hospital on Wednesday evening, MW said there's no point turning up before the 8pm shift change, so 9.30 or 10pm is the aim. Final antenatal appt is on Tuesday morning smile

Well done on all the shopping too, I'm impressed! My parents are arriving tomorrow night to stay for the duration and provide childcare while I'm in hosp, mum promised to bring some new babygros for LO, but that's about all the new stuff he's getting I think!

Sarah2506 Sat 11-May-13 15:02:32

Pink on the surnames thing do either of you have a particularly good surname? Or do your surnames go together? And do you have a view on whether you would want to change yours were you married? We are married but I kept my name, and baby will have both because they do go well together. In fact our chosen name, Polly, wouldn't go at all well with just one as we are both single syllable surnames. I don't think it does or should follow that baby gets any particular name depending on whether you are married or not, but I get that if you do have the same surname its makes sense for baby to have it too!

Maybe both surnames would be good in your situation or even yours as a middle name? So my friend's maiden name is Rubinstein and her married name Watson; her baby is middle name Rubinstein, surname Watson, with no hyphen. So you can call him Baby Rubinstein Watson as if he had two surnames, or just Watson if that sounds better.

Knomski Sat 11-May-13 15:14:33

A few little anxieties niggling at me today.... Firstly cannot think of a girls name that I like, haven't even got a short list, would like something unique but not too out there :/ worried she going to b born and I'm not going to have any idea what to call her!

Secondly feeling a little anxious about having a dd after 2 ds, in am ecstatic to be having a little girl but slightly worried as I'm so used being mummy to boys and being involved in very boyish activites, also I was a complete Tom boy myself growing up! Anyone else had a dd after 1 or more ds? Is it really different, do you treat them differently? All the pinkness is freaking me out! smile

pinkbear82 Sat 11-May-13 15:18:26

Sarah - good points! The surnames go quite well together, either way round. which is quite lucky! To be honest, I would probably have just given bubs dp's surname, if/when marriage happens I think I'd change my surname to his. But suddenly everyone around me has an opinion on surname and it's got me thinking! Not sure Dps girls would understand why New baby had a different surname from them either. confused ho hum.

MrsBri Sat 11-May-13 15:23:18

Pink, regarding registration, you have 6 weeks to do this. If your DP is likely to be around 6 weeks after the birth I'd call and see if you can make an appointment on the last, or next to last, day possible. Then he has the best hope of being there.

If not, mention it to the registrar when you attend and ask if you can re-register later. You'll need permission, but it may be possible.

learnermummy Sat 11-May-13 15:35:47

Knomski I'm in the same boat - expecting a girl after two boys. I'm very nervous about it - I know where I am with boys! Have always wanted a girl but am now a bit anxious!!!

SunnyL Sat 11-May-13 16:42:41

This sh!t just got real. Just packed my bag for hospital and I had to put real life baby clothes in it and pack a nappy bag. I'm not really having a baby am I? I really like being pregnant - what can I do to make sure I stay pregnant for at least another 4 weeks?? I'm not ready <wail>.

Ok back to earth Rue I've been given a list for hospital bag from my NCT lady. Will copy and paste it here.

SunnyL Sat 11-May-13 16:44:00

It is probably best to pack your bag by about 36 weeks

Mum
For labour:

· big old T-shirt or man’s shirt to wear - if you want to wear anything at all
· socks (your feet may get cold)
· fruit juice (grape juice or apple juice are better than citrus, which can
 be too acidic)
· bottled water (sports cap bottles can be useful) *
· easily digestible snacks – fruit especially bananas, flapjacks *
· CDs or ipod - and something to play them on, some rooms have docking *
· face flannels/ natural sponge or water spray - to cool your face down *
· lip salve - lips get chapped using gas and air
· hairbands/hair slide to keep hair off face
· glasses case / contact lens box *
· special picture or photo to focus on/add familiarity
· tissues
· easy to read book/ magazine or game to pass the time during early labour
 or induction *
· aromatherapy oils – e.g. lavender oil plus a flannel to put it on, the hospital can                provide the oils plus an aromatherapy burner to plug in   *
· homeopathy kit for labour – e.g. Arnica which helps prevent bruising *
· Bach Rescue Remedy - may be useful for late first stage of labour *
· TENS machine if don’t already have it on
· birth ball
· extra pillows &/or beanbag *
· maternity notes
· birth plan

Mum
After labour:

· comfortable clothes that fitted when you were about 6 months pregnant -
 including shirts/ t-shirts and pyjamas/nightdresses that open down the front
 if you want to breastfeed
· nursing bras (if you want to breastfeed)
· breastpads
· toiletries
· disposable pants
· heavy flow sanitary or maternity pads - not plastic backed
· big towel
· mobile phone to let people know your news
PTO
Birth partner:

Items marked with a * in the mother's list may be useful for you too

Also:

· cool clothes - labour suite can get warm
· mobile phone - ask permission before using it but should be ok
· camera
· money for car park/ transport to & from hospital

Baby
In hospital:

· nappies
· cottonwool
· clothes (e.g. cotton vests, sleepsuits, scratch mitts, hat, cardigans)

Baby
To come home:

· car seat suitable for newborn
· clothes (e.g. sleepsuit, cotton vest, cardigan, scratch mitts,
  hat, outdoor all in one/ snowsuit, baby blanket or shawl)

SunnyL Sat 11-May-13 16:45:33

Frankly that list looks scary huge but I've managed to fit it all in my small wheely carry on bag I use on planes. <preens at ability to pack light>.

Withalittlesparkle Sat 11-May-13 17:06:29

Marking place

Olimoss Sat 11-May-13 17:14:52

I'm still avoiding packing my hospital bag (although baby's one is done).....it's just too, too much.

Also finding things have switched into serious heavy-gut tiredville over the last couple days. Noticeably....am 37 weeks on Monday and starting to feel like I wouldn't be sad if NewHuman came early. So guess should pack the bag. Gawd.

Names have been a theme for me and boyfriend from very early days, we keep going round in circles and come back to the same three on the shortlist. I imagine we will keep looking right up yo the day itself.

Having a very rare do eff-all day today. Kind of bring but definitely restorative.

Also just realised my mum arrives tomorrow week. Holy shitballs.

Olimoss Sat 11-May-13 17:15:58

Bring = boring

DontmindifIdo Sat 11-May-13 17:16:29

found you!

oh yes, thought I had the hospital bag packed and realised I've forgotten to add the swaddling blanket. thank you for the reminder! I have managed to pack everything else in a holdall, we should be ok. I also have to remember to pack an overnight bag for DS for going to MILs.

Knomski - would you like my list of beautiful girls names DH has vetoed as he has dull tastes ?

He's banned: Persephone, Agatha (I'm so sad I'll never use this, I love this name), Genevieve, Imogen and Esther. We've agreed on Eloise (which he still thinks is not dull ordinary enough for him. I've told him she'll be "Ellie" in order to win this one - she won't).

Of course, we are agreed on a boys name so hopefully bump is a boy and we won't have to have a compromise name.

DontmindifIdo Sat 11-May-13 17:18:51

oh and can I recommend we all practice putting the car seat in and out of the car and adjusting it before babies arrive? Nothing like hte pressure of being stood in the hospital carpark in the rain to make you do that quickly.

Plus add to bags t-shirts etc for the birthing partners, DH held DS first as I was being put back together and he got covered in blood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now