Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

APRIL 2013 - Part 9 - Fed up, tired and over due! Will we make the April deadline or could we gatecrash May?

(120 Posts)
JaquelineHyde Mon 29-Apr-13 14:47:04

Hello everyone and welcome to what I am sure will be the final ever Due in April 2013 thread! sad grin

Only a few of us left still holding on and fingers crossed we will all pop within the first few pages of this thread <hopeful>

So let me kick off...

I am currently 40+11 and due to be admitted to hospital tomorrow to start induction. I've been told to expect a May birth as my cervix is still high and very closed!

Lets get everyone else checked in who is still holding on and all the other April ladies can wave the pom poms and send labour vibes to those of us yet to have our lovely newborn snuggles.

bext Fri 17-May-13 00:47:48

Finally!

So after 24 hours on propess I had got to 1cm and they couldn't get enough access to my cervix to break my waters. They stuck me on a trace and decided he was tachycardic, so kept me on the trace for the next three hours, which I'm convinced just kept LO more tachy as he hates those monitors. They decided to get me checked into the delivery suite for constant monitoring (I'd been in the midwifery led unit) so they took me down and left us overnight to see what the remains of the propess did.
I had some codeine but otherwise had varying contractions all night - often two minutes long. As the night went on though they got further apart.
So by doctors rounds at 10 they decided oxytocin was the way forward. I had wanted to avoid an epidural (don't ask me why now, I must have been crazygrin) but was knackered after two sleepless nights so said yes please to one as I knew the oxy would be full on once it started.
So they hooked me up by 1pm. Everyone managed expectations saying it could still take ages so I settled down thinking snooze and a little magazine reading.
Midwife tried to get a stan clip on the baby's head at 3.30 only to find I was fully dilated! They left me for two hours for the head to descend and I started pushing at 5.30. She'd said she'd give us an hour before they got doctors in to help. 9 proper pushes later over three contractions and there he was. Amazing!

Theo Wilson, 7lb9oz born 5.40pm on the 16th May.

Surely the last baby on the April thread?!
Thanks for all your amazing support ladies, you have been wonderful and I'm so excited to come join you all on the post natal thread.
Xxx

KatyT86 Wed 15-May-13 12:18:19

Best of luck bext! It will all be worth it! X

HadALittleFaithBaby Wed 15-May-13 08:29:23

Ooh good luck bext! smile

bext Wed 15-May-13 06:15:50

Hi all. Decided enough was enough with waiting so I came in yesterday. On the propess and contractions coming every four minutes or so, so hoping by tomorrow l'll get to meet my boy smile

KelleStar Tue 14-May-13 21:41:29

Fingers crossed for you BexT, hope you are snuggling your baby soon!

photochick Tue 14-May-13 17:57:13

bext hope things went well with the midwife and baby is with you soon x

bext Mon 13-May-13 16:49:07

Thanks for all your posts and support guys. I really appreciate it. I'm seeing my home birth midwife tomorrow lunchtime for a final sweep and if she says nothing is happening at that stage, I will go in for induction either tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it over the weekend and feel somewhat better about it. It's time to get excited about the prospect of holding my bubba in my arms, however he gets here. Xx

JoRich77 Mon 13-May-13 09:30:40

BEXT I know how you are feeling as I was planning a home birth, in fact I think we were due date buddies for 30th April. I ended uo having to be induced as waters broke but no contractions. Not the birth I envisaged - I didn't want to be tied to bed, monitored and wanted to avoid drugs and birth was opposite to what I wanted. I was a little upset that I didn't get the birth experience I wanted but honestly it was all worth it to get my beautiful baby girl at the end of it. All I can say is when you go into delivery focus on the end result and think about the next few weeks with your new baby - try not to focus on the birth experience its self as it is only a temporary thing and will be over soon and you will have yiur new baby to enjoy.

birdbrain17 Sun 12-May-13 11:30:35

bext good luck, hopefully things will start by themselves before induction, but the main thing is your lo arrives safely and your both ok! Thinking of you x

photochick Sat 11-May-13 18:30:35

bext sorry to hear you are still waiting and facing induction. If it's any consolation at least the end is in sight.
I also agree that after how the baby arrives doesn't matter afterwards - I said from day one no to lying on my back on a bed - this is how I ended up due to things out of my control. In the end you want baby out and you both safe and well x

Teapig Sat 11-May-13 02:58:50

Congratulations deeky, phantom and lili! It's lovely to hear of the safe arrival of your little ones.

I'm sorry you're feeling upset bext, it's completely understandable. I hope things happen at home for you before Tuesday, however baby arrives though the method of delivery won't matter a bit. I had my heart set on an active labour and ended up with an induction and epidural and really it was ok. Looking forward to hearing your baby news soon x

DeekeyDoo Fri 10-May-13 23:17:58

Hello ladies
Congratulations on all your wonderful little people !
I used to post right in the beginning of my pregnancy but have just lurked ever since! Having seen that KelleStar has updated the stats I thought I'd let you know mine so they can be added if you like.

I had a girl called Mabel on 13 April and she weighed 9lb. Due date was 17th.

Hope you are all enjoying your babies and good luck Bext.

Xxxxx

KelleStar Fri 10-May-13 21:16:33

I've just updated the stats thread's on FB and MN.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1560543-April-2013-stats-thread if you want anything added PM me, when I next get the laptop to co-operate I can update for you.

It's exciting seeing 36 boys and 37 girls, never found out what Caladria had. A few are still waiting...

regular posters that have gone AWOL recently or are still lurking on the AN thread are...

BexT
Ollibobs
Cheeseandmushroomtoastie

74 arrivals...

Waving the pompoms for a few more arrivals soon!

wishfulthinking1 Fri 10-May-13 21:06:06

I'm still here cheering - sorry I haven't been posting much!
bext - sorry you're feeling down about things- Tuesday is still quite a while away- fx things kick off before then, but like the others have said, if an induction has to happen, then that's life- and it shan't be too long before your beautiful baby is here!

Xxxx

HadALittleFaithBaby Fri 10-May-13 18:12:27

Ah bext, sorry it looks like induction but as you say, it's about getting him out safely. I guess baby is happy sticking where he is - clearly you've made it too comfy for him! Induction doesn't mean you can't have a vaginal delivery but even a c-section means you get your baby!

After TTC for a long time ourselves we still stare at DD in astonishment that she's finally here! smile

bext Fri 10-May-13 17:43:43

Thanks Kelle and Mama for your support, I really appreciate your posts. I know I just need to reconcile myself to him getting here safely whatever way, and if I can't do it myself, well that's just the way it is and at least I've got a baby at all which is some level of miracle anyway smile I'm sure I'll get there over the weekend and I'm going to talk to my home birth midwife on Monday and get some advice about whether to go in on Tuesday.

Thanks for the support xx

KelleStar Fri 10-May-13 16:31:13

Oh Bex, I do understand what you mean, it can be so frustrating waiting for baby and holding onto these frustrations.

Choose what feels right, remember that your baby will be with you soon and you will forget how they arrived rather quickly smile

Mama1980 Fri 10-May-13 15:43:21

Oh bext I'm sorry you're feeling so upset. I do completely understand where you're coming from. I have never given birth, never even gone into labour, my body couldn't do what it is supposed to do naturally and it is a feeling of being cheated in a way.
But as you say you need to stay focused on the end goal, a happy, healthy baby. Have you agreed to the induction on Tuesday?

bext Fri 10-May-13 15:17:09

Congrats phantom, slightly spectacular entrance but at least you got there in the end. smile

Thanks for your post Mama. I'm feeling really down today. I had my heart set on a home birth and have done so much prep to try and make it possible despite family history of my mum and sister both going two weeks over and needing caesarians in the end. I went in for my second sweep today and she couldn't even find my cervix. Despite the baby being low and four fifths engaged, my cervix is firm and high, up and behind the baby's head. So despite all the walking I'm doing it doesn't mean his head is pushing on the cervix. It looks highly unlikely that I'll go into labour naturally and they insisted on booking me in for an induction on Tuesday. Technically I can say no but I just feel like I'm delaying the inevitable. It's everything I wanted to avoid. I was so excited about the idea of going through natural birth and I feel like I'm going to be cheated of that now.

I know the important thing is a healthy delivery of my little boy but an induction followed by lots of intervention / Caesarian is everything I didn't want. Perhaps it's because we had to have IVF - my body wouldn't do what it was supposed to be able to do so naturally at that end ofnthe process (ie conceive) that I at least wanted to be able to give birth. And now that feels like its going to be as medical and impersonal as the act of conception.

Sorry for the me me me self indulgent post, I'm just overly emotional and there's no-one in RL that would understand (and maybe you guys won't either but at least I've let off steam). x

Mama1980 Fri 10-May-13 11:11:10

Love all your name choices phantom smile
Bext- sorry I missed your post earlier, bless you- hurry up bext baby! grin I hope your not too uncomfortable? X

phantomhairpuller Fri 10-May-13 10:48:07

No name yet faith, DH is set on Arthur but I'm not so sure. Oscar and Freddie are also possibilities smile

Mama1980 Fri 10-May-13 09:34:00

Congratulations Lili and phantom grin thanks xxx
Is there anyone still waiting?

HadALittleFaithBaby Fri 10-May-13 09:10:20

Congratulations on the birth of your son phantom! What an entrance into the world! Take it easy while you recover. Does he have a name yet?

phantomhairpuller Fri 10-May-13 08:47:59

He's finally here! Didn't need the induction after all, went into labour at 11pm Wednesday, hospital by 8am Thursday morning at 7cm dilated. Massive fluid bulge pressing on cervix and baby's head still quite high up. Finally decided to do ARM when I was at 9cm but head didn't come down and consequently my cervix went back to 4-5cm and wouldn't budge any further hmm emergency section arranged after which I haemorrhaged so not the best of starts but am feeling much better now and baby is gorgeous grin happy phantom!

bext Thu 09-May-13 22:32:57

Congrats Lili, what a speedy arrival!

I'm still lurking. 41+3 and second sweep tomorrow. I think I'm the last though so I may as well just come over to the post natal thread now. They let you go to 42+2 here as I'm hoping for a home birth so it could conceivably be the end of next week before I've got a babe in arms if they don't induce me until next Wednesday/Thursday. Feel like this baby is just never ever going to come. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now