Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013, anomaly scans, boy, girls and little surprises :-)

(1000 Posts)
Natalieand Sat 27-Apr-13 22:08:21

Welcome to thread number 7 (of many) of the October bus xxx

legallyblond Sun 28-Apr-13 08:05:45

Morning all. Checking in! Less than 2 weeks until 20 week scan on 10 May.... Starting to worry a bit... In my experience with (lots of!) friends with babies, this is the "big one" in my opinion where lots can be discovered to be wrong.... Eeek!

Trying not to think about "stuff" too much till after that. Obviously didn't think I'd need anything - thought i would use all DDs stuff - but need new "twin" things like a pushchair....

Morning all, thanks for the new thread Natalie. It was me who went for the scan yesterday - we have another girl on the thread! Had to stop myself referring to the hamburger HA HA. Quite a suprise, have a ds and was sure this was another boy. Ds has named her do Rosie, which I quite like, but dp not keen. We are toying with Emilia. Measurements all good, bpm 160 - mayb we there is some truth in the old wives tale 

Oh and baby shower, best friend is insisting on throwing one. Had nearly managed to convince her it wasn't necessary, but now I have a different flavour she is back on it. Have agreed on the condition of no pink, and no expensive gifts

Shootingstarsandcomets Sun 28-Apr-13 08:50:07

Hi all just checking in quickly. Am in Paris and the only one awake after a night out last night- I came home at 1 the others who knows! This is probably the most expensive place in the world for baby stuff- 75e for little shoes!!!! Desperate to buy something for ds and for little bean but I just can't justify it at that price.
I have two massive spots on my chin- disgusting! Never had spots with ds. I feel minging and also bloated and windy! Really hope glowing starts soon!

ananikifo Sun 28-Apr-13 08:50:22

Congrats, bowlful! Emilia is very nice but I have to admit I love Rosie but DH isn't keen. Your DS has great taste!

Flyer747 Sun 28-Apr-13 09:03:22

Congratulations bowlful great news for you and your family x

Morning all. I am not sure liquorice is safe in pregnancy whoever recommended it for colds. Something about passing stress hormones onto the baby and interfering with the placenta? I can't quite remember but have been avoiding liquorice all sorts since ttc just in case (mmm I do like them!)

Claphammama Sun 28-Apr-13 09:25:49

Congrats bowlfull! I like both names and funny that my DS also wants us to name the baby Rosie if it's a girl! Rosie or Charlotte - his clear requests.

I also worry about the scan legally. I'm a born worrier and until I'm told all is good, I will worry. Scan not until 4th June... :-(

GTbaby you are so right about breastfeeding. My NCT classes saved me here. I had one flat, practically inverted nipple. It was so hard with one boob at the beginning. I also forced midwives to help me! It was all worth it. But no, it's not always perfectly natural and straightforward.

Also windy and bloated and nursing Mother massive cold... This pregnancy is so much harder than the first one...

Claphammama Sun 28-Apr-13 09:28:04

Meant another massive cold not Mother massive cold...

GTbaby Sun 28-Apr-13 09:30:22

Liquorice isn't safe! I never came across that before. Better look into it shock thanks orange.

And yes usually someone throws the baby shower. My sister keeps insisting I gave another. But I feel bad as I had one less then a year ago n don't want ppl buying more gifts.

I am sure if you eat it you would be fine gt. I am just über cautious about any possible risks.

Umlauf Sun 28-Apr-13 09:57:57

I have a Mother of a massive cold clapham! Very bad of me but I've thought sod it and had nasal spray, strepsils AND lemsip. Feel too terrible to feel guilty.

Congrats bowlful on a daughter! Emilia is beautiful and I LOVE Emily. Rosie gorgeous name too and all its long versions, ESP Rosalind. We find out on Friday!!!

Any other literature lovers? The RSC shop has amazing baby grows!

pinkbuttons Sun 28-Apr-13 10:21:54

Hi all, just checking in after another mad week and glad to see your all as chatty as ever and were on a new thread.

Congratulations bowlful very exciting and lovely that DS is excited too.

I also had no idea liqourice isnt safe and have been craving red liqourice for the past two weeks confused Cant see it on the nhs website but thank you for the heads up orange will have a look around.

2 more weeks to wait for 20 week scan on the 16th and were not going to buy anything till after then I think, even though am desperate to. Wont be having a baby shower here, have never known anyone to have one but sounds lovely.

I want to ask those of you with toddlers are you planning on getting a double buggy for October? DS will be 2.8 when bean arrives but worrying about not getting one because we walk everywhere (I dont drive) just not sure at what age children are able to walk long distances? Any advice greatly appreciated. Have been eyeing some up on ebay just incase but not sure if its worth it.

Hope you're all having lovely relaxing weekends xx

Thanks all, very exciting. Sorry to hear loads of you are feeling crap - I've now had 3 weeks illness free, and am feeling pretty good at the moment. Going to try and enjoy these couple of months before I get massive. Am a short arse so by about 30 weeks there is no room left and rib cage fit to burst. What's everyone up to today?

LabradorMama Sun 28-Apr-13 10:29:52

Thank you for the welcomes grin it's so nice to know there are so many other ladies out there expecting babies at around the same time - that will give me something to hang onto whilst I'm in labour!
My '20wk' scan isn't until 12th June and we're not going to find out if we're having a boy or girl, I want DP to tell me at the time.
Anyone else up at 6.30am this morning making toast to feed sudden ravenous hunger?? Just me??

Haylebop12 Sun 28-Apr-13 10:37:11

Thank god I don't like liquorice anyway! Can I ask, what's the deal on prawns? I went out with work yesterday and had a tandoori mixed grill. So chicken, lamb and some prawns. Three people commented that I shouldn't be eating them. Now I don't stick to the rules too closely but thought prawns were ok?!

Wonderful news on a little girl bowlful dd has a dolly called Rosie and since I have an Amelia, them Emilia is beautiful too smile

Permanent cold here too! Not bad enough to require drugs though so I'm putting it down to the increases blood flow etc.

This week I have found out 4 people are pg. 3 from school who one of which I'm still really good friends with. And a girl at work whose midwife reckons she could be 5/6 months and only found out Monday! They found baby's hb and she has a scan Wednesday. Can't believe she could be a whole month ahead and I've known for months!

Dh had looked at my names and crossed out Maisie and Hannah. He has put 20% ect to Harriet and Lydia an he thinks they may possibly grow on him! Result (I think). he added amber and faith but faith really clashes with our surname. And also added jack onto the boys but the popularity is a serious put off. I have to be pleased though he's finally taking it seriously.

Has anyone got anything nice planned today? I'm cooking a dinner later for the parentals smile

cuillereasoupe Sun 28-Apr-13 10:50:03

I ate a ton of liquorice the day before yesterday and then had horrendous squits last night blush. Coincidence? You be the judge.

cuillereasoupe Sun 28-Apr-13 10:51:03

Oh and the plan for today is to go bra shopping.

Claphammama Sun 28-Apr-13 11:14:22

hayle i've been told by my GP prawns are perfectly OK if cooked well. I actually read it on the NHS website too! and they are a great source of lean protein and omega 3. were the people who told you not to eat them ever pregnant? some people think all seafood is bad full stop but this is not the case. I actually checked with my GP as I don't like meat so prawns and fish are my main source of protein. He told me to avoid oysters, mussles and cockles - more potential for food poisoning.

it's a lovely sunny day in London so planning to drag myself out for a walk after the whole day spent on the sofa yesterday... energy levels today - zero

Claphammama Sun 28-Apr-13 11:16:39

PS. I also have Lydia on my list hayle!

ananikifo Sun 28-Apr-13 11:48:35

I think there was once advice not to eat prawns because some of my coworkers assume they're banned and they had children in the nineties.

Shirehobbit Sun 28-Apr-13 11:49:54

Sorry to hear so many of you have colds. I had one last weekend (started Friday lunchtime, felt vaguely human again at 6pm Sunday - not impressed!) and it was horrible.

Don't know about anyone else, but it is as if my bump has 'sprouted' in the last couple of days. No hiding it now!

Congrats bowlfull another little girl smile

Im chilling having breakfast in bed just now and its nearly the afternoon shock

Hello ladies! I've not been around for a bit - dp and I completed on our new flat and have had last week off work trying to sort it (well, it turns out I'm fairly useless so it's been mostly him). It needs quite a bit of work - we've had an electrician round hammering the walls, I've been stripping wallpaper and cleaning, dp has been sugar soaping, keying and painting. But we are going to have have to move in while it's unfinished. At least it's much bigger than our old place, and got a garden.

I was getting very grumpy and anxious about not having any clothes that fit me, so dp sent me off to go shopping (I am not a happy shopper normally, and I'm a 5"4 hourglass size 18 so not easy to find clothes anyway) and I managed to spend £260 in mamas and papas at Stratford Westfield, so that was a triumph. I highly recommend them. They are very generous in their sizing for the chunkier lady - I could barely get into h&m size 20 jeans, but was between a 14 and 16 at mamas & papas. And they weren't too expensive.

Also we had the 16 week midwife appointment - there was a nice (older) student midwife who asked if we would be part of her caseload, which means she comes to all our appointments, attends the birth and aftercare - I'm very happy about the extra support! And we mentioned home birth, they were interested and will look more into it for our next appointment.

Hope you are all well x x

Shirehobbit Sun 28-Apr-13 13:37:29

Talking of maternity wear - I braved an ebay bundle (50 items) which has just arrived. Talk about bargainous - with delivery it came to about £75, but this lady and I clearly have very similar tastes/colour preferences and it's all in a fantastic condition. I only need to buy some work trousers, jeans and leggings and I'm more or less sorted.
I thought it was a bit of a risk, but I'm dead chuffed with my armchair shopping.

This thread is not accepting new messages.