Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2013, anomaly scans, boy, girls and little surprises :-)

(1000 Posts)
Natalieand Sat 27-Apr-13 22:08:21

Welcome to thread number 7 (of many) of the October bus xxx

Natalieand Sat 27-Apr-13 22:11:32

Oooops I meant to type boys not boy in the title sorry to those ladies with little boys :-) my first ever attempt at creating a thread x

Haylebop12 Sat 27-Apr-13 22:15:15

Checking in!

Flyer747 Sat 27-Apr-13 22:21:35

Marking my place....V excited about the buggy I've seen, my goodness how my Saturday nights have changed!!

roofio87 Sat 27-Apr-13 22:22:10

thanks Natalie you never know,maybe we'll have some sort of freak occurance and only one person will have a boy!!wink

Natalieand Sat 27-Apr-13 22:24:21

Hehe that made me chuckle roofio don't we already have one boy confirmed?

Checking in smile

Umlauf Sat 27-Apr-13 22:38:52

Checking in, love the title! Thanks natalie

Shirehobbit Sat 27-Apr-13 22:47:42

I don't think this thread will last to my 20wk scan on the 22nd, judging on how quickly the last one filled grin

JellyCurls Sat 27-Apr-13 22:58:45

Found you all, checking in for the next leg of the journey x

Bronzemoth Sat 27-Apr-13 23:01:56

Yes I've got my boy bump confirmed. Just back from meeting friends and found out they are expecting to. I'm thrilled for them and so excited to have a pregnancy buddy offline and on a bus only one month behind.

Also thanks for the feedback the midwife appointment times. I now have a plan for dh's big 3-0 on Monday.

ananikifo Sat 27-Apr-13 23:04:44

My scan is on the 5th of June, and there's no way this thread will last till then! Thanks for the thread, Natalie!

I've signed up for Bounty and now they keep emailing me discount codes. I did order from vertbaudet this week and got some cute stuff with a huge discount. (Babygrows with bum flaps! So cute!) Since then they (vertbaudet) have sent me at least five different discount codes, plus they're having a huge sale. Then there's the asda sale and other offers I've had from places like mamas and papas. I'm starting to think that the reason baby stuff looks expensive is because all the companies just send out discounts all the time. I'm such a sucker that I need to constantly remind myself the discounts will still be there when I need them.

I think this month's baby budget is best spent on maternity clothes but they're so boring. hmm

Flyer747 Sat 27-Apr-13 23:06:35

Congrats Bronze xx

GTbaby Sat 27-Apr-13 23:47:04

Thanks for new thread!

My scan is at end of month as well.

Becoming a little concerned about sleeping arrangements for two babies. At 11 months LO will be too small to go into a bed but we don't have space for another cot. hmm

FYI asda and all supermarkets have baby events every few months. So buying nappies just yet isn't needed! Although I admit to buying some at 7 months (to get the free boots baby bag). However some of the bigger items can be one offs. I know last year a camera baby monitor was in the asda event but not the nxt one. Sign up to the groups so you know about events before hand as some things run out fast.
In dec toys r us had BOGOF (best deal I've seen on nappies n has never been repeated) on boxes of pampers new born nappies. Ran out by afternoon!
Also on nappy front. Kiddie care have a brand of nappies which they sell for £20 a box enough for a month. My SIL tried them recently n likes them, so I may be switching to those.

Can I offer one bit of advice if you are hoping to breast feed. - please do lots of research before hand. As much, if not more Research then you do into the birth! Find out n have a note of lll or any support groups phone numbers (in hospital in case the support is shit, based on personal experience), work out what problems you might have, boobs to big or to small. Big nipples, small nipples, flat inverted nipples. I really thought breast feeding is natural n it will happen.
I didn't buy steriliser, bottles or formula as I was convinced I didn't need them. This caused me lots of stress when leaving hospital n DH had to run around and get everything. Find out where your local sure start centres are and when their drop in feeding clinics are.
I really wish someone had said this to me last year as I feel if I was more informed I would have been more successful.

Right onto positive things grin
Who's having a baby shower!?

Someone did have a sexing scan tonight though did they not?

notsoold Sat 27-Apr-13 23:52:40

Marking my place....
I will have a baby shower as it is very big in my country and my friends are already talking about it! But nothing expensive on the list and loads of yummy food!

cherrycherry41 Sat 27-Apr-13 23:54:41

Just checking in.
Had a reallyyyy long phonecall with my best friend tonight- shes just got a BFP! Totally unexpected as she was on contraception but nature got the better of her! I reckon shes only 4/5 weeks making it an early 2014 baby smile
Shes shell-shocked but happy and excited nonetheless!

Smitten1981 Sat 27-Apr-13 23:55:41

Oooh, shiny new thread!

I'm back in from my night out. All my friends wanted to see 'the bump'. Quite pleased I lasted till 23:50 - whoop!

ananikifo Sun 28-Apr-13 00:03:00

Thanks for the advice, GT! I did have a look at the Asda event for anything really special and didn't see anything. I'm planning the use cloth nappies but with all the sales and discounts on disposables it'll be more of an ethical/environmental decision than a financial one.

I'm not planning on having a shower but isn't it something your friends throw for you, anyway? A few friends have hinted at it so who knows?

Hi ladies, marking my place. Got a stinking cold. Head ache, runny nose then blocked up etc sad. Can i take anything other than paracetamol as need relief!!!
H2b offered to sleep on sofa to let me suffer in peace in bed (as i am preg too) bless him. Can hear him snoring through the floor. Jealous as i cant lay down without my ears filling with snot.

My friend gave me some maternity clothes and they are all black confused

terrifiednewbie Sun 28-Apr-13 01:42:41

marking my place although think i've missed about 4 threads. Hope everyone is well. I'm absolutely shattered-middle of a night shift and trying to pack during the day (as we will essentially be homeless as of Tuesday as our new place still hasnt come through but landlord in our temporary rented flat needs us out by 1st May-arghhh!)

Will try to skim back through the posts i've missed. Unfortunately paracetamol is pretty much it when it comes to meds pinklady-hope you feel better soon though x

GTbaby Sun 28-Apr-13 02:10:39

Pink lady I had same last week.
GP advised over counter cough medicine n said strepcils are ok.
Make sure you keep fluid intake up as pregnancy can cause dehydration very quickly.
Try honey in warm water with lemon. If you don't want to take anything. And my mums tips are. Boil water in pan with cut up ginger. Then make tea with this water. Or my fav. Boil water with liquorice sticks. Makes a yummy sweet tea. Both meant to be good for sore throat. Best of all. Rest as much as you can or like me go stay with my DM for a few days so she can spoil me n look after my 6m old grin.

Iheartcrunchiebars Sun 28-Apr-13 06:43:51

Don't discount paracetamol pink lady it will make you feel a lot better.

Soupqueen Sun 28-Apr-13 06:46:12

Morning!

terrifiednewbie, hope you find something soon. What a worry.

I had a lovely evening with friends last night and was passed on a maternity dress for work and a breast feeding vest top. They also have a loft full of baby stuff they're going to dig out and give me, which is great. What isn't so great is that I've woken up feeling hungover. Think I might be getting that cold.

It's my first pregnancy yoga class this morning, really looking forward to it.

My "20" week scan is on the 16th when I'll be 18 weeks. They think there might be problems with the placenta so checking early, I'd much rather everything was fine and wait longer to be honest!

Have a lovely Sunday everyone.

HotSoupDumpling Sun 28-Apr-13 08:02:15

Marking place! Welcome Labrador, and thanks for the boob advice GT. Have taken note and will do a bit of research.

P.s. Atticus is a great name! Spartacus is HEE-Larious!

This thread is not accepting new messages.