Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2013 Babies-the Glowing Trimester

(1000 Posts)
JammyTummy Sat 27-Apr-13 18:48:47

New thread! May it bring lots of good news, funny stories and happy bump mummies!

Joskar Tue 28-May-13 19:55:10

I was given some stuff by a friend who was clearing out and it included a John Lewis changing table. Swear to god it's the newest (and fanciest!) piece of furniture we own but I don't know how great a thing it will be. It takes up an awful lot of room. I reckon one of those trays that sits on top of the cot looks much handier. Never look a gift horse though, eh? It would be bad to just sell it, d'ye think? She's not likely to visit. More an acquaintance than a really good pal.

She also gave us a mat thing that the bairn lies on and looks at mobiles and mirrors and so on; a wee bouncy type chair; a pretty robust looking sling and a bouncy thing you attach in a doorway.

Other than that I've bought a packet of wee vests from Tesco. I need a cot for he/she to sleep in and maybe a moses basket or something initially. A car seat. Do I need a pram? What else do you need? Any thoughts?

Also I was thinking about real nappies. Has anyone used them?

Kittenkatzen Tue 28-May-13 19:22:00

We have a changing thingy on top of the cot, but only as it came as part of the unit, wouldn't have bothered otherwise. Have been given a top tip by a friend to keep a nice box in the living room that contains changing essentials - so you don't have to keep running up and down the stairs to grab nappies etc smile

Joskar that sounds awful, I'm very glad you're getting properly looked after now though. Thankfully my pain was never that bad, but if I get it worse this time round I will take your advice and push for physio. If I get to see my choice of GP I'll have no issues as she's very good.

badguider you can make the most of that adult bed in the nursery. We have the spare single bed in with DD, and when she was tiny, we had it made up, sheet, duvet, no pillow, with a waterproof mattress protector over the top, then another sheet. We kept all the nappies, creams, vests, socks etc on it, and the changing mat and used it for nappy changes, and getting her dry after a bath. If we ever needed the bed to sleep in, we could whip the top layer off, grab a pillow, and crash. I'm very happy that DD wants the new bedroom so "her baby" can have the nursery as we get to use the same set up again.

For those worrying about not being organised yet, our new bedroom doesn't even have a full floor yet, and has a big hole in the wall. I'm not panicking, we have loads of time, and a moses basket, we'll survive. grin

frogchops Tue 28-May-13 18:54:40

Thinking we will prob use a mat on the chest of drawes too... Just because I can't kneel down at all so this will hopefully help!

frogchops Tue 28-May-13 18:52:58

I'm finishing work a good 6/7 weeks before dd so will hopefully do all my faffing and organising then. We are keeping an adult double bed in the nursery too just because its fairly new and I can't bring myself to get rid of it! Plus its dead comfy and I'll jump at any chance to leave DP in our room and bugger off into that one sleep in it!

flipflump Tue 28-May-13 18:42:47

Forgotten who asked about changing tables. We haven't bothered, I've put a changing mat on top of the chest of drawers in baby's room. The top drawer then has nappies, wipes, creams etc. It's all easy to access and we'll get more use out of drawers as they will last forever.

flipflump Tue 28-May-13 18:39:15

So much to catch up on since 6.30am.

I'm one of the annoying super organised people. We just need a cot mattress and cot cellular blankets. I love a project and tend to get over excited. We were given a huge amount which prompted the nursery development, I wanted it all in one place. Also, being a nanny I'm pretty picky over baby paraphanelia and know which items I'll find useful and what I won't use at all. I'm a crazy list maker too! I've found it easier spreading the cost over the past few months and stock pile as we are fairly remote, DH won't be so impressed if we run out of nappies in the first few days, we can't just nip out. Haven't bought the bits required for a hospital bag (but I have written a list smile)

We've still got months, no need to panic. It will all come together but I do think it's worth having the nursery set up 4 weeks before due date. No point in adding extra stress when there's a new little and highly dependant person around. I have a friend due in 7 weeks, so far she's ordered a pram, that's it!!! We're chalk and cheese!!

HettySunshine Tue 28-May-13 18:35:30

Either! Not with!

HettySunshine Tue 28-May-13 18:35:13

I can't see it with Flo.

frogchops Tue 28-May-13 18:28:16

Flo the link doesnt work for me :-/

kimjayne Tue 28-May-13 18:27:04

awww first experience of being offered a tram seat just now by a nice man. smile

fl0b0t Tue 28-May-13 17:56:13

Aww boo jammy nofair! Steal it back!!

In other news- I've finally managed to catch baby movement in my belly on video. It's a bloody brilliant one too- a full on baby star jump making my tummy move like something out of Alien!

Take a look!!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152851691295510&l=9105472731141572145

PS, I'm "working" in bed after an early start and long train journey today!

badguider we will still have the study area in the nursery so am planning to use that for changing (haven't told DH yet as I think it'll freak him out, but he won't be using the desk so much once baby is here) just need to find a way of protecting the bookshelves from wayward bodily fluids!

jennimoo Tue 28-May-13 17:03:59

We had a ledge bit (where the stairs are underneath) in DDs room so used that but only til about 6 months as they get wriggly and so I shouldn't worry if you don't have a changing unit. You can also try and do it on your lap I think but don't remember doing that myself.

We don't need to buy anything much but don't have enough room to bring stuff down from the loft for me to get it all sorted, which is driving me mad! Need to empty out and get rid of a massive wardrobe, as well as all the pink clothes (I do hope sonographer was right!)

I didn't look at nurseries and childminders until just after DD was born but I guess it depends how booked they get in your area!

JammyTummy Tue 28-May-13 16:54:18

Oh, oh, flo talking about dressing up boxes reminded me of something which made me disproportionately grumpy in a really really immature-but-want-to-stamp-my-feet kind of way... DH had recently got me all excited when he informed me that he used to have one of these really old fashioned big wooden toy chests in his bedroom when he was a boy, which will inevitably be in his parents' storage. I was mega chuffed as these things are worth hundreds of pounds, but when called MIL to check it turned out that it has been given to BIL's little boy when he was born cause they just reckoned DH wouldn't be fussed and had no kiddies of his own. Gahhh!!! Anyway, no wooden toy chest for this baby!

Our nursery is pretty much done, have someone coming to install a beautiful blind which was getting made, then need to get nursing chair still and get DH to finish installing shelves in the baby wardrobe. As others have said, I'm an obsessive organiser (have printed out excel sheet with everything that we need which gets highlighter-ed off) and also as I know myself and my love of having 'stuff' I wanted to spread the cost over the months in as much as possible.
I would say that if you're generally still unorganised there is no need to panic though, as there are still months to go plus summer sales! Plus babies won't be sleeping in their nurseries for a good few months after birth anyway!

badguider I wasn't planning on buying a changing unit and have read in lots of places that a mat on the floor is easiest and safest! We did end up with one though as my fav chest of drawers had a changer thing on top of it.

kimjayne Tue 28-May-13 16:52:07

If my mad early prep work on the nursery room has scared anyone then please don't panic! I had my wedding planned and booked pretty much 18 months before I got married. I love anything that involves decoration! smile Plus, I was sick to death of looking at the mess in that spare room! It's nice to see it with a real purpose now.

You ladies still have lots of time! And most of you are way ahead of me with childcare arrangements anyway. I have spoken to one Childminder so far and that's it!

kimjayne Tue 28-May-13 16:47:05

herewego 2 - have you been before? If not then let me know your thoughts. The woman who runs it (Anna) is lovely. She's an older lady and a bit whacky but I totally love her. She totally fixed my back the other week when I had Sciatica. Anyway, I can't get there on time each Tuesday so I go on a Saturday morning. Let me know if you ever go on a Sat!

Oh and take a blanket with you! I don't bother with a pillow but a lot of ladies take one with them.

Enjoy!

herewego2 Tue 28-May-13 16:36:15

All those South Manc future Mummys! I am going to VA in Parrs Wood for the preggo yoga tonight. If anybody else is there, then let yourself be known!!!

badguider Tue 28-May-13 16:31:57

Is everybody buying a changing unit?

I was thinking of doing the mat on the floor thing... will that drive me mad after a while? It appeals as it seems safer.

fl0b0t Tue 28-May-13 16:18:14

Anyone else go through to catch up, writing notes as they go? I hate missing out people!

kimjayne well done you!
Our baby room is full of mud and grass after we tried to take our new (second hand) pram apart to fix the wheels! Not clean and lovely! However, I did find in the dressing up box (yes, I know!) a decent length of yellow chiffon fabric with duckies embroidered on it... was given to me by a friend at uni because I like ducks.... it's been in a box all this time! I'm going to make it into a net curtain for the baby room smile

Thanks about the photo- I love that newlook dress! My bump makes me laugh too flip

charlw- Is hair removal cream ok in pregnancy? I have a feeling it was on the list/ now off the list? I really need to do some. ..ahem...ladygardening.

frog- I still think I look hillariously massive, so don't worry about it! ;-)

Jammy I'll admit the photo was a bit of an accident! I take a lot of self portraits, but hadn't realised how zoomed in the lens was! Got the perfect sun flare- a happy accident!

I accidently bought two super cute summer baby grow things in Sainsburys (25% off BH weekend)- dinosaurs and whales! CUTE!

kips_ GORGEOUS bump! Also I've had a bit of a sore fanjo (Ok, I have done a little bit of cycling but not that much!), I think it's pretty normal and not SPD- which is more in the hips (?).

frogchops don't panic! We've got aaaaaaages yet... right?! I have lots of baby things, but they're all piled higgledeypiggledey in the baby room....
I'm mostly waiting for the utterly useless very nice lady on a local baby fb group to get her finger out let me know when we can get our new (secondhand) changing unit and drawer thingy, then I'll feel more organised.
No hospital bag, can't think about that yet! 24 weeks today-- loads of time to go! Probably!

joskar that sounds hideous but glad you've seen someone who has diagnosed you properly. Get some serious rest!

Badguider yes we are looking for full time care. Anyone have opinions on childminder vs nursery for a 9 month old?

Frog don't panic. I'm just a natural born organiser & wanted to get all the spending out the way so we have time to build up the reserves again before our income takes a nose-dive. My bro was really superstitious when he had my nephew and did bare minimum pre-birth so was faced with the prospect of decorating a nursery with a newborn in the house...fortunately my parents rallied round to help him but it def added extra stress. This time everyone's shocked about how early we're getting organised, but then bro & I are VERY different! I think there's prob a happy medium somewhere, but essentially it's whatever YOU're comfortable with.

Joskar that is shocking, but so glad ur getting proper care now. Just emphasises the importance of trusting yourself & getting a second opinion.

HettySunshine Tue 28-May-13 15:55:44

Oops sorry for scaring everyone with my ridiculous early buying. I should say that we still have a friend living in the nursery and that most of the baby's stuff is scattered around the house.

i am a furious list maker and have loved crossing things off but don't panic anyone. Don't forget there will probably be summer sales soon and there really is still ages to go! smile

CheeseStrawCraving Tue 28-May-13 15:38:39

Running bear.... It's flippin June next week. The earlier bods have 3 months to get stuff sorted. That's soon!!! Or am i over-stressing?! However, for all those panicking, we are currently looking for somewhere to live... Staying with dad at the moment which although helpful is a nightmare! So don't worry if you haven't sorted nursery out, we haven't sorted a house yet!

badguider Tue 28-May-13 15:26:13

oops x-post - that response was to ready about nurseries.

Joskar - I am sooo glad you're getting proper treatment now. I have had physio for sports injuries the nhs doctors told me meant giving up sport forever - but the physio exercises totally fixed me! so good luck.

and frog - we're still clearing out all the crap in our 'to be a nursery' room.. and even then it won't look like a nursery as we're keeping the adult bed in there in case DH needs to decamp sometimes while the LO is in our room. I also have no baby stuff at all (but friend is giving us a pram and carseat tomorrow).

badguider Tue 28-May-13 15:19:28

Oh dear - that sounds scary, but glad the second nursery was better.

Are you looking for full-time care?

I think if I was looking at full-time I might think about childminder. But we're going for only 2days a week (plus one optional shorter day with MIL) so the nurseries we've looked at are like baby & toddler heaven! Really big georgian houses in their own grounds/gardens with so much play equipment / softplay, painting and messy play and trampolines and ride-ons etc... hopefully will save me for ever having to actually go to softplay or have glitter glue in the house grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.