Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2013 Babies-the Glowing Trimester

(1000 Posts)
JammyTummy Sat 27-Apr-13 18:48:47

New thread! May it bring lots of good news, funny stories and happy bump mummies!

It depends on company policy...some let you carry it over or be paid, some make you take it all before you go off. Just get it in writing if they're letting you carry it over!

JammyTummy Wed 08-May-13 18:32:24

Also, has anyone considered cord clamping? Can you tell me a bit more about it please?

jennimoo Wed 08-May-13 18:45:21

Kimjayne - I think if you google breakfree sun offer you'll get the page where you tap in the codes. Do read the ts and cs carefully. Ours came to just over £100 for 3 last time, once you've paid for entertainment passes, linen and all the people to make up the minimum of 4! Still really good value though and we loved our park dean hol.

Jammy - do you mean delayed cord clamping? We planned to delay a little but DD was too chilled after her water birth to breath so they snipped and took her into the corridor (cooler) and she breathed right away.

I planned (and do again) to hang on a bit for the clamping and snipping but still having the injection to help the placenta come away.

andadietcoke Wed 08-May-13 19:11:44

kimjayne at my company we get paid for them at the end of the holiday year if they're accrued during maternity leave, or some people use them to come back part time for a few weeks. I'm planning to use a lot of mine before my maternity leave starts so I can finish work early.

CheeseStrawCraving Wed 08-May-13 19:20:03

Yep Kim, Jenni is right, i just googled sun newspaper holidays or similar, you can either post it off or fill it in online. Once we had booked we got a confirmation from the sun, then a receipt from the holiday park we booked with, but beware, in order to complete the booking you do have to call the holiday park and add in the extra bits, for example we paid extra for service charge (non-negotiable) and for the beagle pup, so there is always something extra to pay. if you don't call up within a certain time frame you lose the booking - so make sure you read the emails properly!!

We have so far opted for delayed cord clamping (well birth plan says would like a water birth and would definitely like to delay cord cutting) obviously this is the ideal for us (fx!).

Congrats on all the scan news, if anybody could update my stats (still under CarrieJayne I think) could they add me to team blue please? V interested to see completed stats list with this - does seem to be blue heavy!

jemimahpuddleduck Wed 08-May-13 19:20:25

afrikat and kitten I'm team yellow too. Love hearing about everyone elses gender though!

MammaGnomes Wed 08-May-13 19:36:55

Hi all had scan today were team yellow!! Was v tempted to ask but didn't eek!! The lady doing the scan did refer to baby as her and then again she so thinking we
May have a Girly that and my gut feeling grin

Also team low lying placenta hmm but was told that there is a 92% chance that it will move! Have to have another scan at week 38!

Also have to go back in 3 weeks for a bonus scan as they couldn't see the face as baby was being camera shy and had hands over face so they couldn't check for cleft lip!!

Anyone else with scans today!

weebarra Wed 08-May-13 19:46:20

We're team yellow too! Very tempting to find out though!

Derpess Wed 08-May-13 20:02:08

Thanks ready 😀

frogchops Wed 08-May-13 20:08:49

My leave year runs from jan-dec so all of this yrs leave has to be taken before I go off. Cue excited 'finishing 4 weeks earlier than I thought' face!!

herewego2 Wed 08-May-13 20:19:47

frog - I bet that's quite a face!
I am in team yellow too.
I definitely disgraced myself this evening dancing to "I'm sexy and I know it" at 21 weeks pregnant in my Zumba class..... the side view in the mirror was, quite frankly, ridiculous!

KamikazeeKid Wed 08-May-13 23:37:00

Team yellow here too...next scan at 32 weeks so just 7 weeks to go! My moneys on my placenta still being low. Once I looked into low lying placenta I found loads of references to the link between previous ops and sections and funnily enough most people I know who've had it had had ops!

Had a horrid dream about bleeds last night :-( damn you sleep time! Im suddenly ballooning too - weeble alert!

People at my workarestill only just finding out I'm pregnant - its obvious I thought!

EmmaDee Wed 08-May-13 23:58:49

Hello all, so glad to hear everyones good scan news. Mines on Friday afternoon, wish it would hurry up! Anyone else still waiting?

I'm a tad anxious about it but also excited to see wee bub again!
Just found out my friends preggers too so that'll be two tea totallers over the summer months!!

Kittenkatzen Thu 09-May-13 07:38:09

jammy I'm also planning to ask for them to wait before cutting the cord if possible. Seems logical to me and the evidence suggests its a good idea....interesting study www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d7157

kimjayne at my company normal carry over rules apply (up to 5 days), so I'm tagging mine on to the beginning of my mat leave so I can finish a couple of weeks early. Don't forget you'll accrue holiday whilst you're in mat leave too so you should be able to tag that to the end if you want, or they might offer to pay you in lieu instead.

Is it wrong that I'm mildly envy of you ladies with low lying placentas - I want an extra scan dammit!!! grin

JammyTummy Thu 09-May-13 09:17:18

Thanks all! The delayed clamping does seem completely logical! Is it not common place simply because its quite a new thing?

Last night was my third awful back ache night on the trot, starting to get used to feeling perpetually tired now!

Fozziebearmum2b Thu 09-May-13 10:25:23

Had 20 wk scan this morning and all is well smile had a bit of a panic as the sonographer did a massive pause whilst looking at the heart, but Dh said that she was trying to get a good pic of the heart and kept pressing the button at the wrong time so had to try about 4 times. Phew!!!

Team yellow too grin

Manoodledo Thu 09-May-13 10:39:31

I haven't been on for ages, so it's nice to catch up on all the scan news. We're still team yellow, but have randomly been sent to the consultant regarding a problem that DS1 had, which no one worried about with DS2 and even the consultant thought was unlikely to reoccur with DC3, but still they thought they would monitor me confused. It's good to know that NHS money is being well spent! Anyway, it won't hurt to see the baby again and we're hoping we can persuade the consultant to tell us the sex. Not least because we're going to be moving house and if it's going to be a girl then I won't need to cart the mountains of boys clothes I have with me.

frogchops Thu 09-May-13 10:44:28

Have just been for consultant apt which was a complete waste of time. Consultant was extremely good looking blush which threw me a little! Turns out that although they should dismiss private tests etc (harmony in my case) that he decided that They wouldn't this time and so wrote a new downs figure of 1:10000 on my notes. Now this means I won't have the extra scans :-( men....they just don't understand!!
Otherwise, mw listened to heartbeat which wasn't as loud as last time but she said she was having to chase him as his was wriggling so much. Some loud kicks though which are concurrent with the wriggling I felt at 4am this morning! hmm

JammyTummy Thu 09-May-13 10:54:04

In case anybody is looking for a nice dress/ top- Isabella Oliver have 41% off everything today! Usually quite expensive but almost half price today and think 36% tomorrow.

Kittenkatzen Thu 09-May-13 11:27:04

Ooh thanks jammy will take a look. Meant to say earlier that I've bought and ordered a few bits from New Look in the last couple of days - they have a massive selection online, and I'm finding their vest tops in particular really well fitting and comfy. Have also got a lightweight knitted sleeveless top for work, and a pair of under bump knee length denim shorts which are sooooo comfy smile

JammyTummy Thu 09-May-13 11:32:30

Sorry forgot to say, the code is MAY41 at the checkout. Just got a couple of tops and a dress, super super chuffed. I do rate Isabella so highly- the quality and cut of their mat clothes is absolutely fab! What a nice treat on a Thursday morning smile

LCR77 Thu 09-May-13 12:58:35

thanks [jammy] for the Isabella Oliver code. I've been looking for a dress for a wedding next month for ages and finally managed to find one that's affordable with the 41% discount. Cheers!

kitten would gladly swap my extra scan to have some movement and kicks smile Feeling flutter envy every time I read someone's active baby. I know just need to be patient...although am pleased get to see if she is still a she at 32 weeks as sonographer wasn't convincing!

Creamtea1 Thu 09-May-13 13:26:22

I'm not one for advertising but would just like to recommend Premier Scans in Lichfield. The lady was really nice, so thorough and for £60 we were in there about 20 mins and got a DVD of scan, printed out 2d and 3d pics (saw both during scan) all in a nice folder with a printed out report of measurements and the sex. Scan room was spotless and modern with a massive screen to watch the whole thing on. Couldn't believe what I got for my money as 6 years ago with ds2 I paid 3 times that to a place in Solihull and got nowhere near as good service or experience.

Peabody25 Thu 09-May-13 14:10:09

hello all, not posted for a while! Had my 20 week scan last week, all good, and still team yellow!

Just wondering whether anyone else has one almost permanently swollen (double in size) foot, and one slightly swollen one? Also, got fat fingers in the morning!

Been to see docs last week and this week and they've done urine samples and blood pressure, and all good, he just seemed to think it was quite early to get it this badly. It's really making my back and legs hurt as well.

fl0b0t Thu 09-May-13 14:22:29

herewego- One of my current pleasures in life is doing the MOST innapropriate dance moves whilst pregnant. I find it hillarious (no-one else does).

Peabody I get swollen fingers now if it's hot and I'm walking/ exercising

Also "team yellow" though I dislike the pink/blue thing on principle so I might call myself team "rainbow" :-)

kitten agreed about New Look. I don't ever buy stuff there but maternity stuff is great!

In terms of HR- policies may vary but I had an email stating this today:
“Your annual leave entitled can be used before the start of your maternity leave - you can use annual leave right up to the day of the birth if you wish / have enough. The latest maternity leave can start is on the day the baby is born. If there is any annual leave entitlement for 2013 left at the end of the year, it will be paid with your December salary.”
(Our holiday year is Jan==>Dec)

I plan to take 27th August to 6th Sept as A/L, then start mat leave 9th Sept (EDD is 17th). I think that makes sense and if my maternity leave starts early as baby comes early, I can always claim back the holiday that I've booked. For everyone, but particularly those of us on SMP, this is a wonderful blessing!

This thread is not accepting new messages.