Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2013 part 2.

(1000 Posts)
TakingTheStairs Thu 25-Apr-13 08:57:26

Just starting a new thread as we're starting to run out of room on the first. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/a1716486-December-2013#38680515

2Labradors Mon 06-May-13 20:21:24

feather really hope your shift went ok, 13 hours is a long time

quiet how exciting. We're not having the downs test either, just dating scan. 2 weeks on Thursday, I hope it doesn't drag.

redears welcome and congratulations. That sounds good about the scan at your surgery.

We've had a lovely bank holiday weekend. I've been drinking shloer which tastes quite nice actually.

I've got my booking in bloods tomorrow so have avoided sugar all day today (no shloer today) as my urine had showed glucose and I'm hoping my full blood count won't show a high glucose.

dutchyoriginal Mon 06-May-13 20:23:31

Music, have you had continued spotting due to your cyst?

FX for all of us to have lovely healthy babies!

Ganetgob Mon 06-May-13 20:32:45

I haven't post for ages, but I've been reading everyday, so am up to speed with everyone I think!

I'm sorry you're going through a worrying time, dutchy. Lots of ladies on here seem to have experienced similar worrying things and loads have had scans and it has turned out to be nothing serious. Their babies are still going strong, so try and keep as positive as you can! smile fingers crossed for you tomorrow!

I have a scan tomorrow too. It's just a reassurance scan booked privately. Was only £45, which I thought wasn't too much to put my mind at rest! I'm feeling really nervous about it to be honest. I know other people on here have genuine things to be worried about in terms of bleeding, cramping and all sorts, but I just can't help it. I'm a worrier.

I hope everyone has had a lovely long weekend. Don't forget to turn your alarms back on for tomorrow!

Ganetgob Mon 06-May-13 20:35:43

Don't you hate it when you read your post through twice before you post it and then you see a mistake just as you've pressed send!?!? Grrr!

Holly1977 Mon 06-May-13 20:50:50

Hope everything goes ok tomorrow Dutchy, let us know.

For those of you feeling sick, crackers can be quite good.

The only issue at the mo seems to be an achy low back, particularly if I don't take it super easy which I'm just not capable of doing! Went for a long walk today then did some gardening and was on my feet all day on Saturday supervising my friends doing DIY which I'm no longer capable of doing.

I'm finding it sweet and annoying in equal measures how differently people are treating me. I'm getting extra special hugs from mil, people ask how I am more and are generally more solicitous and kind which is nice. But I am finding it a bit annoying when people tell me what I can and can't do, particularly when it's stupid. I know they mean well but honestly, I can mow the bloody lawn! I'm pg, not dying or crippled!

I am a little bit resentful sometimes of the fact that df can still smoke and drink and eat whatever he wants and not be constipated and windy, and a bit annoyed that he hasn't stopped smoking. I know there's no point in nagging him about though it and hopefully he'll stop soon. I have told him that he can't drink once I'm nearly ready to pop and he definitely needs to have stopped smoking by the time bean arrives. Am already thinking about the fact his family and best friends are all smokers who smoke in the house and the arguments I see coming about my not taking bean round there because of it. They all seem to think that smoking in the next room to children is ok... Anyway, that's all a long way off. Midwife appt this Friday, really looking forward to that and getting some questions answered.

LadyMedea Mon 06-May-13 21:22:39

holly if I were you I would nag on the smoking. Passive smoking is not good in pregnancy. Is been linked with higher risk of stillbirth, behaviour problems, cancer in kids... And the list goes on and on. Not meant to scare you but it should be taken seriously. They've got to smoke outdoors at a minimum. I'd just print off some articles and leave them lying around if I were you.

musiceverywhere Mon 06-May-13 21:45:04

Hi 2redears welcome to thread, v impressed that your GP surgery does scans! Its all new to quite a few of us I think, I reckon there’s no such thing as a silly question, people seem happy to advise when they can.
quietninja sorry you’re still sick, must be awful. Hopefully it will pass soon. Good to have a scan date to look forward to.
dutchy sorry to hear about your bleeding, you must be worried. I have carried on spotting most days, but its almost always brown and the dr at my hospital appointment said it was prob due to haemorrhagic cyst that they saw. (the other, larger cyst is outside my uterus) Good that your midwife has sorted a scan so promptly for you. Thinking of you.
ganet glad all going well. I was going to get a private scan too before all palava with cyst etc. That’s a great price btw. Hope it goes well.
holly I share your frustration at the not drinking, it’s been a perfect day for a gin & tonic. Yesterday DH ordered pate as a starter (which he hardly ever eats and I love) and sat next to me while I looked longingly at it and ate his salad instead envy You’ve done so well not smoking, make sure you ask midwife/pharmacist/GP for support with it if you need some. It would be even better if your DF could give up also, especially once ‘bean’ arrives. Can your midwife help to explain to him how important this is? Hope appointment on Friday is helpful.
I’m either full of a cold or have developed hayfever for first time ever. Also developed craving for salty chips and still falling asleep all the time. But on the plus side…I have taken tomorrow off work grin

dutchyoriginal Mon 06-May-13 22:14:16

Thank you for all your good wishes! Really hope everything will be fine and I'll let you know tomorrow.

Salty snacks really helped with the nausea in my previous two pregnancies, especially later in the day.

Goodnight, I'm off to bed, because I'm an hour ahead of all of you. Also need to teach two classes before going to the scan, that is, if everything goes ok tonight (WHICH IT WILL!).

violetbean Mon 06-May-13 23:15:57

Hey all,

Thanks again for the messages and thoughts. Much appreciated!

Dutchy, hope scan goes well, keeping fingers crossed for you.

Had a lovely long weekend, quite chilled, involved clearing out shed and a nice bbq. My scan date is 23rd May too, am counting down the days smile Feeling better than last week, had a great counselling session today when I realised that I'm really my own harshest critic!

I'm teetotal so thought I'd share some of my favourite non-alcoholic drinks, inspired by the schloer in a previous post. Share back if you have any faves!

Pineapple juice and lemonade / soda
Elderflower cordial and water / soda / lemonade
Raspberry lemonade
Lychee juice and lemonade /soda
Any flavour J2O with dash of lemonade /soda
Ribena, orange juice and water
Blackcurrant cordial and soda (very cheap in pubs!)
Lime cordial and soda (ditto)
Apple juice with crushed ice, lime juice, sugar, soda, mint and lime wedges (virgin mojito)

Have a good night everyone!

Featherbag Mon 06-May-13 23:22:43

Well that was hell. My lower back hurts so much it took me 25 minutes to get to the bust stop instead of 15, then after waiting 40 minutes after the bus was due, 3 go past together but all full as the match had just kicked out and the bus company was operating a Sunday service. So I had to call a taxi from the pub over the road, which I can't really afford. I'm in agony, exhausted and starving, but can't take any painkillers other than what I've already had, I have no energy to eat anything and can barely summon the motivation to crawl up the stairs and take my makeup off!

On the plus side, told my colleagues today and they're all really pleased for me. And work itself was great, thoroughly enjoyed myself even if I did feel after 3 weeks off like I didn't have a clue what I was doing at first! Right, must start making my way to bed. DS had us awake and up at 5am, if he does the same tomorrow he may have to sleep in the shed from now on, with the spiders. Sorry I don't have the energy to catch up on posts, hope everyone's ok x

b0nker5Mum Tue 07-May-13 06:30:45

Awrr feather sounds a horrid journey home, hope you managed a good sleep?

My scan is 23rd as well! Seems a few of us on that day!!

Featherbag Tue 07-May-13 07:00:57

DS decided sleep was once more for the weak and woke us with 'nappy presents' at 5am. I am not a pretty sight this morning. But the sun is shining, it's going to be a scorcher, and (gulp) I should hear about The Job today!

yogafan Tue 07-May-13 08:43:53

Good luck for the job!!! We were up at 5 today as well, grrrrr....

b0nker5Mum Tue 07-May-13 09:07:37

Fingers xd it's good news feather, hope you manage to get some rest today.

13loki Tue 07-May-13 10:19:45

Good luck with the scan Dutchy
featherbag good luck for the job

Well,#2 vomited in the car on the way home from nursery. Then she had so much diarrhoea she needed a shower and I had to clean the rug. Then she went back to sleep, crawled up on me and vomited again! Finally got to bed just after 12, then she was sick again. She woke up for the day at 4:30. So I had 4 hours sleep, but that was broken with me changing her bed. I've been to the health centre (2 buses and half an hour away) for my blood tests for the combined Downs test, during which the receptionist refused to speak to me in English, so I had to stumble through with my ridiculously bad swedish, then the nurse didn't speak english, so we just mimed what we were doing.

Featherbag Tue 07-May-13 10:37:02

Didn't get it. Wounded.

yogafan Tue 07-May-13 10:50:03

Oh bum, that's crap. Really sorry. It's their loss I'm sure. Maybe your REAL dream job is just around the corner...

TakingTheStairs Tue 07-May-13 10:53:55

Oh Feather that's very upsetting, sorry you didn't get it.
x

Holly1977 Tue 07-May-13 11:57:01

Sorry to hear that Feather, rubbish news.

DF is not allowed to smoke in the house. I think the best way is to give him the info and let him make his mind up. He's really stubborn and the more I go on at him, the more he'll dig his heels in.

Hay fever has kicked in hugely today. I've sneezed like 50 times already, it's really doing my head in. GP originally said no to steroid nasal spray. Doctor colleague not so sure and says I may be able to use steroid anti histamines. NHS website says it's ok sometimes. Confused.com! Should I go see the GP again before Friday? Can midwives prescribe and/or give medication advice? I can't go all summer like this, it's exhausting and will only get worse.

mumoftwoboysS Tue 07-May-13 12:14:36

I wish I knew when my scan was! Glad a lot of you have a scan to look fwd to. My mw apt is on 23rd so mine will be another 2 weeks after that I guess...

I'm finding snack a jacks salt and vinegar rice cakes are helping with my morning sickness. After eating a whole large bag of M&S salt and vinegar crisps I thought it was time to find an alternative- then at least I won't put on 4 stone eating all those crisps, maybe just 2!

woke at 4am on sunday morning feeling sick and hungry -so last night had the snack a jacks on my bedside table just in case. Anyone else waking feeling sick at night?

Harmony Test is available outside of London but it is a lot more expensive so it is worth looking to see if you'll save money by travelling there. Nearest place to me that I've been recommended is just outside of York but it is £600 without train fares. Going to London with my OH will cost us £380 WITH travel costs. That's from Manchester. Personally I won't go anywhere for it that I haven't been recommended anyway.

Fetal Medicine Centre puts the money back into research. It's the same clinician who developed the nuchal fold measurement test in the first place so definitely reputable. They're pushing for Harmony to be available ASAP on the NHS but to back it they'll need the positive research. I can't wait to be a part of it.

Those who aren't having the down's screening, just thought I'd add that I didn't with my first baby either as I was 23 at the time and suffering from anxiety (I was in a difficult job at the time and always at risk of harm) and the midwife talked me out of it because she thought it'd just make the anxiety worse. I didn't think I'd mind about DS but I hadn't researched it thoroughly at the time. Once I got the diagnosis at the 20 weeks scan of her heart defect (half of babies with DS have heart defects and require surgery of some description) they recommended amnio and that's when I got the diagnosis.

I wouldn't go back and have the screening and change things, but I do think it is probably harder to decide what to do once you have felt your baby moving around, seen it several times etc. Even her 16 week heartbeat sounded absolutely fine. I'm not saying you should change your minds but it is worth researching DS thoroughly because they don't tell you enough when you're pregnant (because there just isn't time to warn you about these things). A huge number of babies die before term or before they are 1 year old with DS, males will never have children (only 2 recorded fathers with DS), females have an extremely high miscarriage rate... early dementia, 1 in 100 will have leukemia, unknown severity of learning difficulties, gastrointestinal problems... for me there were too many things to put my baby through. She would definitely have needed open heart surgery if she'd have ever gotten strong enough for it.

The only reason I wouldn't go back and change whether I had the screening or not is because I got far enough for my OH to feel her kick (sadly after the diagnosis) and that was a very special moment to us.

Your whole life would change whatever you decided to do if your baby had DS, or any disorder for that matter. There isn't an easy option. My friend got 1 in 330 at her screening and they nearly talked her out of the amnio because she was 22. She insisted and she was the one and had her baby 4 days after I had my baby. 2/3 of babies with DS are conceived by younger mums (this is because younger mums have more babies in general, so older mums are still more likely to have babies with DS but they just have less babies in general).

On a final note, people think I didn't want my baby because I'm young and didn't want the lifestyle change. I'm a student social worker and passionate about disability rights. I know all the available support avenues. Nothing in this world would allow me to keep her knowing it was for my benefit rather than hers though. It hurts having to sign on the dotted line to end your baby's life. I never thought I would do it. I was Catholic and lost huge parts of my life in those two weeks. My baby and part of my identity. It wasn't worth keeping them and hating myself if she had died in pain though for the sake of being able to keep her a bit longer.

I feel like I'm such a killjoy! I probably shouldn't be in this group because I know it is going to get to the point where people refer to "gender scans" and I'm going to get mad!

Good luck everyone :D and may the odds be ever in your favour!

rylea Tue 07-May-13 12:53:25

Morning, is anyone else concerned about a lack of symptoms? I felt sick around weeks 6-7 but now nothing, I’ve felt starving too and now I’m just back to normal! Got my scan booked for the 15th and had awful dreams about it last night, I feel like I’ve been waiting desperately for a scan date and now it’s near I’m terrified! My partner works away and he doesn’t really understand why I’m so nervous but it’s all I seem to do to occupy my time, Google is my nemesis!

Holly1977 Tue 07-May-13 13:01:31

Thanks Michelle for such an honest and helpful post. I'm going to have all the screening I can for ds. The honest truth is I don't know what we'd do but either way, I want to know as early as possible.

There's a new nasal spray out that's definitely safe for pg ladies. It's canned Prevalin and is basically a kind of barrier, so neither steroid nor anti histamine. Thank God!

StyleManual Tue 07-May-13 13:50:21

rylea - Yes! No symptoms here. I had a bit of nausea at weeks 6-7 and now I just feel normal. I'm 9 weeks now and no nausea, boobs feel normal and the same size, no bump yet obviously, feel quite energetic. I dunno. I feel so much different to last time round. Maybe I don't have as much time on my hands to think about it now I have a toddler in tow.

Can't wait to get my scan date through so I have something to look forward to.

Not long till 15th though - good luck!

This thread is not accepting new messages.