Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013: 5 in the thread and the little one said, roll over - there's lots more on the way!

(998 Posts)
Rhienne Fri 19-Apr-13 20:47:01

Running out of space over here so a new thread for all our fabulous birth stories!

Artichook Thu 09-May-13 09:28:53

Any news Babygeek???

I lost my plug this morning but no tightenings and last time I lost my plug about a week before labour so I doubt it's a sign for me.

babygeek Thu 09-May-13 09:38:39

False alarm smile

We headed in to the hospital and I was monitored for a while. LO was moving loads more than usual and I was a bit concerned and thinking she might be in distress. I could see several contractions on the monitor but they didn't get more painful and since we have been back home, I have just had constant period like pain...waters and mucus plug still intact it seems. Tbh, it is lovely to get some more rest this morning.

TMI alert, midwife did an internal exam and cervix is still closed but I ended up bleeding quite a bit but I guess that this isn't my mucus plug dislodged? Not mucusy at all.

I wonder how much longer this might last? At least we had a good test run in to hospital last night and bags are all packed at the ready. The midwife told us to be prepared but maybe I just mistook painful BH for contractions, oops! Amateur first timer grin

Bunnychan Thu 09-May-13 11:50:06

Oh :-( just been to my 38 week check upand my baby has bobbed back out of the pelvis. The midwife said that its because I have an active baby and if she checked again later in the day, it may well be back in and that this is nothing to worry about but I feel disappointed lol! Baby kept moving through the Doppler as well so at least I know baby is happy and active but I don't want to go over my due date lol! X

wrigglerchick Thu 09-May-13 12:13:37

I've just got back from the midwife, due tomorrow but only 2/5 engaged so doesn't look like LO is going to be prompt unless he gets a wriggle on! On the plus side, he is now back facing outwards ( was sideways before) so I'm feeling a bit more reassured! I've been booked for a sweep on the 16th and induction on 21st but hopefully I can coax him out before then :-)

TerracottaPie Thu 09-May-13 12:37:35

Another one with a midwife appointment today. I expect to be told the head is still very much free (I'm revising my likely-to-be-a-big-baby guess now as this one seems to have heaps of room still in there and for the last few days has been happily flipping back to back and round again!).

In a slight dilemma about when I'd move towards induction. Don't really want one but it wasn't so bad last time so that's not bothering me. It's just my eldest has a residential school trip for 3 nights when I'll be 40+13. I don't want to go in to be induced the day before and likely miss getting her sorted and then seeing her off on the bus. I think the hospital are more than happy to induce at 40+10 (and that has the benefit of being a weekday) so do I plump for that or 40+14? One way DD1 has a chance of seeing her new sibling before she goes, the other is that s/he will be born when she's away.

I know all this could be a completely moot point but as I'm 40+2 now and no signs really of anything happening it's playing on my mind a little.

Really, I should be more bothered about all the cleaning I want to do but can't be arsed to...

grin

shelly81 Thu 09-May-13 14:43:51

bunny my LO is the same she was head down & engaged last time I saw consultant & now she's not lol ....oh well the joys ... Good luck to everyone that have got things goin on think my babas just too comfy xx

roastpotatoes Thu 09-May-13 15:42:21

Hello everyone, I have news of another May baby! Alice May was born at 7.29pm on 7th May. We had one night in hospital and are currently enjoying our first full day at home. She was born in the birthing pool, which was fantastic - my mum caught her as she came out which was so lovely for her. She is doing really well, although as a first timer it is all very overwhelming dealing with the tiredness, feeding, recovery from birth etc. But we're getting there. Good luck to all those who are showing the early signs (how are things going aberjen??)

For those who like to hear them, this is my birth experience... I had a stretch and sweep on my due date (Sunday) at which point they said I was 2cm dilated. I had some period type pains that day, which by the evening had become more on and off contraction-like, although still v. mild. Monday morning I had my show and continued have the very mild contractions all day. Tuesday morning at 2am my waters broke and at the same time proper contractions started. I was at home with regular contractions until about 1pm that day when we went into hospital. I felt panicked when they said that I was only 3cm dilated and not yet in 'established' labour (it felt pretty established!) Just as they were sending me home for a few hours, things started to intensify (picture me sprawled on the floor in the reception area mid-contraction!) and they changed their minds and kept me in - from that point things moved pretty quickly. I had about 2 hours in a bath in the hospital and then surprised everyone by saying I felt the urge to push. Was quickly transferred to a labour room and they confirmed that I was fully dilated. Hopped in the pool and she was born about 5 contractions later! All in all I feel very lucky that everything went OK and relatively quickly - although nonetheless at the time it felt like the craziest, most intense and challenging experience of my life. Interestingly, with hindsight, just at the point at which I was feeling like I couldn't cope (I had chosen to go into a midwife led unit and was feeling like I lost my confidence that I could manage without pain relief), this was actually a sign that things were progressing.

However they get here, 2 days in I can confirm that having a baby is the most wonderful thing in the world - wishing all of those of you to come all really positive experiences.

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 09-May-13 15:55:27

roast lovely news! So happy for you and Alice is a lovely name (one of DD's middle names, she is very fond of it!). Enjoy your newborn snuggles smile

I.Am.So.Jealous. envy

no news here, had some twinges last night and thought "hallelujah" but no, nothing. MW appt today, debating whether to have a sweep or not but leaning towards no.

Congratulations Roast. Xx

Artichook Thu 09-May-13 16:10:03

Congratulations Roast! That is a lovely birth story really. And we have our third Alice! Great name.

lollypopsicle Thu 09-May-13 16:11:06

Lovely birth story. Congrats roast. Enjoy your little Alice May thanks

DS is currently throwing things around the living room in a strop...actually just as I wrote that he decided to give up and come for a hug. Ignoring it worked. Phew. Finding being 9mths pg with a 2yr old an impossible task.

aberjen Thu 09-May-13 16:33:23

Congrats roast! Love hearing the birth stories smile

Nothing happening here. Poss TMI - seem to be losing plug bit by bit, as more today. Also had a some lovely shooting pains in, I assume, cervix. Not sure if that means anything though. Assuming nothing happens overnight will ask GP about it tomorrow at routine 38w appointment. Feel a bit in limbo wondering when things might kick off, but just trying to get on as normal with everything I had planned.

Good luck to others showing signs that things might happen soon!

Lolly that made me smile about your 2yr old. Mine has decided that sleeping at night isn't fun anymore and having tantrums all the time. I'm looking forward to having some energy to be able to play and run around again soon.

rachywhite83 Thu 09-May-13 16:46:07

ah Alice May such a lovely name (my beautiful sister's name too) Such a lovely birth story. Thanks for sharing x

shelly81 Thu 09-May-13 17:22:24

Aww congratulations roast gorgeous name xx

cuppateaandagingersnap Thu 09-May-13 17:23:25

Congratulations roast lovely name and sounds like a positive birth experience, enjoy your wonderful little girl, xx

wrigglerchick Thu 09-May-13 17:26:23

Congratulations roast! X

beaver33 Thu 09-May-13 17:49:05

roast what a beautiful story, and one beautifully told. It summed everything up perfectly for me, and I can't wait to feel the same way in (hopefully) a few days' time.

Enjoy your wonderful daughter and everything else will be fine xxx flowers

babygeek Thu 09-May-13 18:02:05

Roast, that is lovely news. Enjoy cuddles with your new wee arrival.

Sounds like quite an experience! Nice that you got a water birth too.

NoForkNKnife Thu 09-May-13 18:06:53

Congratulations, Roast! Beautiful name (did I say that our Alice's middle name is Mary?-very close grin ).

NoForkNKnife Thu 09-May-13 18:09:27

oh! Forgot to say-changed my name blush as definitely not having a MayBaby now wink.

Congratulations Roast. What did she weigh? Once again love that name. Three Alice's wonder if any other name will prove popular.

Well I'm fed up. It's a week until my due date but I was convinced I was right and scan was wrong and that he would come by tomorrow. I have absolutely no signs though. DP is grumpy as he doesn't like waiting.Think its because his paternity leave was booked from Monday so he is in wind down mode from work and yet may have a week left yet.

39+0

Waves at Nofork good to see you on here. How are you and Alice doing. smile

Sisi8 Thu 09-May-13 18:19:57

Hi
Just a quick update this end. A week ago baby was transverse and then on Tuesday been told he is breech. Been booked in for a section on 28/5 which is 39 + 5. Bit worried I will start labour before then as it would be an emergency section... So I have appreciated all your descriptions of early labour!

Congratulations Roast and good luck to all of you over next few weeks.
grin

Bunnychan Thu 09-May-13 18:25:51

Congratulations roast! It's been too quiet on the arrival front lately lol x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now