Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

May 2013: 5 in the thread and the little one said, roll over - there's lots more on the way!

(998 Posts)
Rhienne Fri 19-Apr-13 20:47:01

Running out of space over here so a new thread for all our fabulous birth stories!

WestieMamma Sat 20-Apr-13 16:42:13

SeaSalt1, I'm not in the Facebook group as I couldn't find the details in the previous threads. How do I join it?

shelly81 Sat 20-Apr-13 16:43:31

Another one here gettin a wopper hehe ...... Can't believe we have 6 babas already omg congratulations to all & good luck to whoevers next ..... 36 today :-) xx

Westie I think I would be scared being alone so glad the ambulance at least made it to your home. Did you feel much pain or was it all so quick. I'm so interested as I had a 35 hour labour with ds1 and a 46 hour labour with ds2. So a speedy delivery is completely alien to me.

TigerSwallowtail Sat 20-Apr-13 20:21:36

Congratulations berri grin thanks

I had been checking TIO and thought everyone had been very quiet today, I've only just noticed the thread was full blush

Thingiebob Sat 20-Apr-13 20:57:30

Hello all. Thank you for the concern re: my prev post. I have seen the midwife only to told I am in 'pre-labour' so I have been out enjoying the sun today and trying to put irregular pains out of my mind!

Bunnychan Sat 20-Apr-13 23:58:36

Eww.. I feel really sickly- I hope I'm not getting that nasty bug that's going round :-s x

TigerSwallowtail Sun 21-Apr-13 11:21:02

How are you feeling today bunny?

Have you had any more pains thingie?

Thingiebob Sun 21-Apr-13 11:40:28

Hello
Yes had mild contractions from midnight through to 4am but despite being six mins or so apart they didn't intensify. They were more painful than previous nights - think nasty period cramps and kept me awake. I tried to sleep and hold off waking up DH to take me to hospital as I wasn't convinced it was necessary and I was right as I was able to sleep and it has all stopped now!

It seems to happen at night-time. The midwife says it is 'latent labour' and judging contractions/pain levels is not an exact science hence babies being born at home and in cars etc. Made me feel more anxious!

As a rule of thumb she told me the pains need to become a regular pattern over at least two hours and they need to intensify and become noticeably stronger. She also said it is harder to judge in second/third babies.

Have to say I had never really heard of latent/prelabour before.

Hope you are not poorly Bunny!

lollypopsicle Sun 21-Apr-13 12:00:32

Oooh thingie sounds like it won't be long for you.

I have a question for those on their 3rd+. Did you find you had more 'signs of labour' in the last few weeks than the first time? I didn't feel anywhere near labour last time until it came quite suddenly with 3 min contractions straight away at 41 weeks. This time, over the past week, I have felt BH getting stronger, more frequent and more painful (though nothing as painful as an actual contraction and in no way regular). I've been getting a backache that comes and goes too. Last time my contractions started in my back and it's a similar feeling but not as intense or with a pattern.

So I guess in asking, did you feel more niggles second time around and did it mean labour was earlier than last time? [wishful thinking emoticon]

Perhaps I'm just more aware of the feeling of labour this time and random twinges mean absolutely nothing.

35+3

shelly81 Sun 21-Apr-13 13:49:28

Anyone else just realised there absolutely sh**ting themselves about labour this time round xx

Thingiebob Sun 21-Apr-13 14:09:28

I am shitting myself tbh. I was induced last time so have never gone into labour spontaneously. I ended up having a cs as well so this vbac is giving me the heebie jeebies. I can't imagine giving birth.

TigerSwallowtail Sun 21-Apr-13 14:48:30

That's rotten that they stopped thingie. I'd never heard of it either though the baby book I got from the midwife had a section about false alarms where you start labour and then it stops so that could have been referring to the same thing I suppose, although I hadn't realised it could go on for so long. Did the midwife say it was a sign that real labour could be close?

Yes shelly I'm getting quite worried. I had an epidural at 5cm with DS but the only pain relief i'd had up until then was paracetamol and I was on my own too with no support until the epidural. I don't want one this time but am worried that gas and air or the birthing pool won't be enough and I won't be able to take it.

I'm starting to get worried Shelly, should feel better after my next Drs appointment. Haven't seen him for 7 weeks.

Bunnychan Sun 21-Apr-13 15:57:47

Thanks ladies- I had diahrrea this morning but no sickness in the end. Touch wood, haven't had any since but feel rough. I'm torn about whether to go to work tomorrow.

I'm still in denial about giving birth x

Lolly I'm on my 3rd. I don't know I'd its because in more aware but I'm really feeling lots of twinges this time which I don't recall feeling with first two ds. I have had some pains today and back ache. I think it may just be braxton hicks but they were something I never had with first two and have only experienced this time.

Shelly Yes I'm dreading labour. I want to try a water birth but I am comforted by the fact that if it isn't pain relief enough I can have an epidural. I do not want forceps or ventouse under any circumstances so that's something that's worrying me

TigerSwallowTail Sun 21-Apr-13 18:16:30

beaut my midwife said that if you've not needed forceps or ventouse before then it's really unlikely that you'll need them again.

Tiger I had forceps with ds1 after pushing for near two hours. I have a small pelvis and his shoulders were wedged. He was only teeny but his poor face when he came out . I was given a really bad stitch job and had to go back in a week later to have it corrected. I was in more pain after labour than during sad

Beaut I had a ventouse delivery with DS - because I my OB wanted to get home early on a Saturday evening angry. I spoke to my (new) OB about it and he said that you're less likely to need the ventouse in subsequent labours.
I don't want another one. DS ingested a lot of what they referred to as 'fluide' and lost his suck reflex, add that the a recessed chin and tongue tie and we never managed to BF successfully. I really do not want that again.

Ah, X-post with Tiger who's been told the total opposite! Is there another area of medicine where the advice/ guidance is so inconsistent?

Mamma I am shocked re your ob wanting to get home early that's absolutely awful shock. I have written on birth plan that I do not give consent to forceps or ventouse. Unfortunately the alternative would be for baby to be pushed up a bit in order to carry out a caesarean.I still feel that would be preferable to me and baby. I would go into more reasons for not wanting assisted delivery but they are only formed of my own opinion and I don't want to scare any first timers. For the record I know many people who have had an assisted delivery and had absolutely no problems

I know Beaut, it's especially galling because you pay for healthcare here, he kept telling me to expire as well, which isn't what you want to hear in the final throes of labour! He meant exhale but his English wasn't as good as he thought it was!

The ventouse was not painful and I recovered very quickly from the birth, it wasn't at all traumatic. DS would have struggled to BF anyway (because of the chin and tongue tie) but I'd rather not have another one lose the suck reflex/ swallow loads of gunk and struggle to feed. I want to be out of hospital ASAP.

DXBMermaid Sun 21-Apr-13 19:02:20

Westie congrats!

I'm getting nervous about labour now, I had an easy labour last time. Just keep thinking nobody is lucky enough to have that twice. Just keep thinking to myself this is the last time I'll be doing it.

PregnantPain Sun 21-Apr-13 19:23:38

Hi everyone, I am officially going to have a doula present at the birth. Met her yesterday and she is really lovely, had a long chat about everything including previous labour and birth etc, went ahead and signed the contracts there and then, just need to remember to buy a stamp on Thursday and post off the application form for the access fund!

Dreading this appointment on Wednesday. Don't know what they want me to do really, I have been thinking over and over is this really all because of the tear last time, is it really so terrible to just leave me to everything and if a tear happens again it happens. Doula made a good point about episiotomy, if you cut into a piece of paper, it just makes it easier to rip it in half so if I'm cut for the sake of it I could tear even worse. Any ladies with experience of such a tear here? Were subsequent births trickier?

TigerSwallowTail Sun 21-Apr-13 19:35:46

mama and beaut that is awful what happened to you both. I can understand why you don't want forcepts near you. I'm writing that I don't give consent either, both me and my son are hypermobile so there's a chance this LO will be hypermobile too so an assisted birth could dislocate something for her. When I told my midwife though that's when she said I'd most likely not need them as I didn't need anything first time. She explained it by saying that my first baby made a path for this baby to go along, but surely if you've had intervention then a path would have still been made so would reduce the necessity for forceps/ventouse?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now