Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

June 2013 - thread 6 - will this thread see any early arrivals?

(1000 Posts)
AlohaMama Thu 18-Apr-13 05:44:57

Welcome back all June-ers, just realised we were about to run out of space on the old thread.

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Apr-13 20:01:20

I'll wait to see how that whole breathing thing pans out, dh thought it was funny too. FWIW I used hypnobirthing breathing techniques and they were very successful but as you'll see further up the thread the expectations of childbirth being ok if 'you do everything right' lead many women when faced with unexpected issues to feel they have failed.

I have seen some cropped ones but can't remember, may have been vertbaudet? I want JJMB to bring out their summwr range!

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Apr-13 20:06:49

Also is anyone worrying about measles? I have no way of knowing wether I had a double vaccine and dd has only had one of her MMRs. Its not good in pregnancy and I work in a university with lots of overseas students as well as dd being at nursery with a lot of children who haven't been vaccinated on our schedule.

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Apr-13 20:10:41

Cropped trousers and leggings in JJMB

MrsBri Fri 19-Apr-13 20:11:45

Like I say, I'll take the advice of someone who's delivered hundreds if not thousands of babies as to how to approach my preparation for birth.

I'm really concerned about the whole birth thing, so am willing to listen to someone with way more experience than anyone else I know.

I don't have a set idea of how I want it to go and therefore won't set myself up to 'fail'.

I just want to learn enough techniques to go with the pain and not fight it, as if you can go with it and not clench against it, it apparently helps move things along.

AmIGoingMad Fri 19-Apr-13 20:25:36

Redwelly- you can get dd her second one now probably if you phone surgery. I had DS done early yesterday but then we are in outbreak area. I'm also concerned as I'm a little too old so the mmr didn't come in til after my childhood immunisations. I know I had one measels one but am thinking about asking docs to check my immunity via blood test. It doesn't help that I work in secondary school in the area- over a hundred if our pupils haven't had mmr so we've got some taking place in school next week. It definitely worries me.

Oli- I hope things have calmed down with your blood pressure/ protein and that you've escaped!

Dontmind I'm extremely impressed with your domestic goddess ness!

I'm also fed up of the whole you're huge and you've got how long left conversations!

Learner JJMB have really good leggings.
Red I've been worrying about measles. Our local news (nowhere near South Wales) said we are very likely to get a measles epidemic over next few weeks/couple of months. I just hope bump gets his first mmr and other jabs before it happens. I know I'm definitely immune as had the vax 3 or 4 times as there was an outbreak of mumps when I was at uni.

AmIGoingMad Fri 19-Apr-13 20:32:05

Mrsbri- x post! I think what you're saying makes total sense. Yes lots of things can happen but also lots of people have very good births. I think that if you approach feeling you're equipped with a ' toolkit' that can only be a good thing. I'm definitely looking more into hypnobirthing breathing techniques this time around and just trying to make myself feel positive. If all goes more manic then I'll have to deal with that too but it might help my mental state now to have more positive thoughts rather than panicking about the what ifs now. Right/ now I've typed it and its in black and white hopefully my head and heart can start singing from the same hymn sheet!!!

Steffanoid Fri 19-Apr-13 20:35:23

I think I've had all my jabs up to date, had my last booster just a couple of years ago, baby has been doing some weird moving from left to right side today, I had a rather large 'lump' where he was sat yesterday and the other side just was like a Jelly belly

DontmindifIdo Fri 19-Apr-13 20:39:27

oh not domestic goddess - you should see hte state of my kitchen after all that!!!!

I'm getting sick of being called huge. I am not huge, I have a huge bump, the rest of me is not to be called huge, thank you very much. It doesn't help that as I'm only 5' 0, I look bigger than I am, as I'm pretty much all bump now. Yet it's only April, due in June. DH said last night he didn't understand how I could have nearly 2 months to go with this size of bump (but then he said the same with DS!)

learnermummy Fri 19-Apr-13 20:40:23

There's not a measles outbreak here but a few weeks back a child in Ds2's nursery class came down with it. I was a bit panicked and called GP who wasn't worried, even if I got symptoms. Possibly worse in kids? They don't get MMR til 1 do they?

Will check out JJMB for leggings thanks!

DontmindifIdo Fri 19-Apr-13 20:41:53

BTW - I'm pretty sure I've had measles jab, but ask your midwife! I'm sure it'll be in your medical records. I'm too old for MMR but have had the separate ones. (I believe it's the mumps one that's not as good in the individual ones than MMR, so should be ok with a measles outbreak)

My fear on that is if it spreads to here when this baby is too young for a jab, I have friends in Wales who are trying to get the MMR early for their little ones.

pinkapples Fri 19-Apr-13 20:49:57

Loving all the talk about birthing v worried myself but am hoping to cope confusedwhat will be will be and like I've said before its got to come out one way or another!

Am unsure whether I'm being vile or not tonight came home from work feeling cross and preceded to tell hubby not to bother speaking to me as I'd probably kill him so he did what all men do and spoke!!!! All about himself and his new car (he's getting it on Sunday it is not new and he did not tell me about it until yesterday... Needless to say he also hasn't thought through where the money is coming from as he has sold his motorbike but that doesn't go till Monday so hmmmm....) so it's also a boxy volvo estate which I've told him I don't like he clearly ignored me and tonight all he has talked about is the bloody car angry if he'd have done as I asked I'd probably be in a better mood now but no he keeps harping on and won't shut up and now I'm crosser than I was when I started and he's watching bloody wheeler dealers downstairs while I'm with dogs upstairs grrrrrangry and just to add he also said that he'd have peace and quiet without me and baby and he'd be ok with his cars/motorbike/dogs!!!!!!!!! FUMING! Rant over hmm

In other news it's the weekend and only 6 weeks (I think left to work) maybe will do a couple more days if hubby winds me up ill just have to stay there longer to keep sane!!

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Apr-13 20:54:30

Look. I am a massive advocate of natural birth, like absolutely massive, cannot agree more that by being prepared and having an active labour is much better than being strapped on your back. I've explained about how there is research evidence to support the cascade of intervention theory.

But.

professionals in an outstanding delivery unit in a hospital (rather than a MLU) including a midwife who had twenty years hands on experience failed to act and left my child brain damaged for life.

So I did everything right. Everything. Everything I could have done and my body could have done we did right. But I'm never going to take a professionals word as godgiven again without thinking through what they are saying. Thats even the advice of our senior obstetrician. To ask questions. Ultimately they are only human just as we are.

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Apr-13 20:55:45

Oh and if you do want to know more about natural birth I can recommend Ina May guide to childbirth. Fecking amazing read.

cyclecamper Fri 19-Apr-13 21:31:21

I read the Ina May spiritual midwifery book in about 1990 and remember it being amazing. I might have to search out some of her later ones.

I had the week 32 emails today which mentioned Braxton Hicks often starting about now. Right on cue...confused.

I'm not looking forward to 8+ weeks of that! It was like the period pains I got when I was in my 20s. Bleugh.

learnermummy Fri 19-Apr-13 21:36:42

I've never read that so might need to get a copy. Feel a little left out with braxton hicks - have never experienced them before so probably don't expect to this time.

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Apr-13 21:39:52

learner I never had them with dc1 but this time round they are hardcore and I've been getting them since 25ish weeks.

Stop you in your tracks and breathe through them kinda BH

learnermummy Fri 19-Apr-13 21:53:01

Redwelly is it a similar pain to what you experienced in labour? Both my labours have been purely back pain so I suppose I could have experienced mild BH and not realised.

Just found that book is available on kindle.

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Apr-13 22:02:37

Its a tightening for sure. I get different ones, one is rhe hard bump all over when I'm tired or need a wee. The other is the one which worries the MW a bit which is a hard band under the bump of tightening which ease off when I rest.

I was in slow labour for about six hours before my waters were broken with very mild contractions, these BH are most definitely more noticeable and at times more painful!

Sunbeam18 Fri 19-Apr-13 22:11:02

Can anyone recommend a good place to get a dressing gown for hospital? I never wear one at home so don't have anything.

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Apr-13 22:18:13

sunbeam I tried m and s and got one but it won't do up over bump!! So I'm going to buy a large wrap around black dress instead if I can ever bloody find one!

Oh and JJMB have just released their long summer dresses. Hallelujah

learnermummy Fri 19-Apr-13 22:20:57

Sunbeam I remember when pregnant with my first that the antenatal teacher recommended a dressing gown that wasn't white (for staining reasons!) and I spent ages trying to find one without success. I would say m&s , debenhams, matalan, those type of places would be worth trying.

Redwelly I honestly don't remember any hardening or tightening during labour - must pay more attention this time!

learnermummy Fri 19-Apr-13 22:23:03

Suppose you don't necessarily need a dressing gown to do up pre-delivery Red?

Sunbeam18 Fri 19-Apr-13 22:46:48

Thanks, that's really handy! Have realised I better start thinking about hospital bag now approaching 32 weeks. Help!
Oli, are you still in hospital??

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Apr-13 22:48:32

Well I know bump sticks around for a week or so, especially after a CS when you can have more water retention (from what my midwife told me)

And it'd be fair to say some of my bump will require exercise rather than baby eviction to go blush

Back to back labour is different though isn't it?

This thread is not accepting new messages.