Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

June 2013 - thread 6 - will this thread see any early arrivals?

(1000 Posts)
AlohaMama Thu 18-Apr-13 05:44:57

Welcome back all June-ers, just realised we were about to run out of space on the old thread.

pinkbear82 Fri 10-May-13 17:47:00

glad to see I'm not the only one with mixed emotions... delighted and excited one moment and in denial about the whole thing another confused really want to meet bubs but the longer it holds on possibly the better.
had a lovely baby shower last night, my bff organised it all, and altho not really my thing have to say I really enjoyed it.

had second check up of the week with midwife got a gold star for getting my bp down to better levels and clear on my urine. smile Got big lecture on taking it easy and not over doing it - and had to promise I would slow down.

packed baby's hospital bag this afternoon, and it's now sat with mine. still in denial about needing them.... but they are there should when I need them.

best friend who is a nurse, and her mum's a midwife, told me off for not taking my notes EVERYWHERE with me now. bags can be collected, notes are vital in case anything happens..... I duely nodded and said I'd put them in my handbag!!

learnermummy Fri 10-May-13 17:56:30

That was a bit mean of them grainmum - worst case scenario. Don't worry too much beforehand, just make sure you have lots of helpline numbers to hand for any difficulties - and don't be afraid to ask for help.

my midwives last time recommended that any new baby be checked over by a cranial osteopath as birth can squidge their skulls/jaw bones. I know it helped one of my friends babies who had trouble latching and crying all the time - turned out the baby's jaw had come out of alignment during birth.

Hawkmoth Fri 10-May-13 17:57:09

Shit yes, bags! I bought some sanitary towels last week... Will that do?

AlohaMama Fri 10-May-13 19:00:25

Hawkmoth pretty sure that's all you'll need wink

Sarah2506 Fri 10-May-13 19:02:17

So obviously I didn't stay late on my last day. I had my presentation and got the fruits of an unexpectedly large collection then, just as I was turning off exclaimed loudly 'goodness, look what's just arrived'. Pressed forward then switched off and ran- well waddled.

The karma police got me though. Arrived home to a notice of building works, which will cost each flat 2.5k and will result in noise and disruption over the summer which is exactly what I need. Humph.

Steffanoid Fri 10-May-13 19:26:06

my hips are not doing too bad today, feel like I've been.kicked in the gonads though, went to my mums to let the dog out yesterday as she's decided it's pointless asking my sister anymore, have bought her rather willingly into the 21st century with a smartphone she'd asked me to look fir her and I got a message about having a second h/s with my contract so she's done that and is very excited about the world of apps, was supposed to see my counsellor today but the doctors new system has messed just about everything up within their practice so am booked back in for 2 weeks, she got excited that if bubs has made an appearance I might bring him with me,got a baby shower tomorrow asked by the godmother to be im looking forward to it but im not the biggest people person especially when they all look at me so am apprehensive too

pinkapples Fri 10-May-13 20:22:05

Sorry people are having a hard time

Love the ideas for gifts this is first dc for us so not really relevant but the idea is lovely

Having some more pains today think it is Braxton hicks my belly is like concrete and it radiates down to my lower bump grrrrr just irritating now and tight although not painful but will def ask midwife on Monday x

learnermummy Fri 10-May-13 22:17:26

Anyone heard of/used Ewan the dream sheep? Saw it on John Lewis and just added one to my order! Got rave reviews for helping babies sleep - seems to have womb/white noise recordings on it.

Well done for getting away Sarah. Wish i had - was working til 8:30 tonight trying to file something online and I don't even work on a Friday!

forgetmenots Fri 10-May-13 22:23:14

Oooh learnermummy I quite liked the dream sheep too, can't believe it works... But sorely tempted!

Steffanoid Fri 10-May-13 22:31:36

just remember saw a family friend yesterday who asked what id even up to, I said waddling since I went on maternity leave and his reply was oh I didn't want to say, tge response nah I just ate a load of pies was what he was expecting, I mean a couple if months ago I could understand thinking I was chubby but im 8 months pregnant and my belly enters places s lot before me now and it's very obviously a baby bump as its hard and I've not put weight on anywhere else he did look a bit confused, sorry about the random post and hijack of conversation

Withalittlesparkle Fri 10-May-13 22:44:48

My mother in law has told us she is buying us a Ewan sheep! 9 days left at work

cyclecamper Sat 11-May-13 00:28:10

Baby cycle came a step closer to having a name today. His 22 year old brother and his girlfriend came to see us in hospital and the big ad made a suggestion that we both said maybe to. We are going to think about it far a couple of days to see if it sticks!

Baby cycle has been eating so well that he's given himself shocking wind! We have to see if the tests they have done are clear and if they are and he doesn't need further care we might be able to go home soon. I hope so, not least because the 17 year old won't come up here and won't get past the anxiety until we are there.

AmIGoingMad Sat 11-May-13 07:05:13

Morning all!

Cycle that's great new that baby cycle is doing so well! How are you doing?

Ewan does look very cute and I've heard good things about him but haven't got one. DH is monitoring spending very closely so I think this little one will end up with lots of stuff from her little brother instead. I know it makes sense and will probably mean slightly longer for mat leave but it goes against instinct and nesting big time!hmm

I hope that everyone has better days today. I'm out of my sick bed as DS was up at 6. Need to get my pjs from marks too so am hoping I manage that without passing out!

Congrats to those who have started mat leave! Bet Sunday evening in particular will feel very good! I have 2 weeks left then week off for half term- I did say I'd go bk for a wk after it but that's highly unlikely now. Maybe I'll do one day then bugger off!

learnermummy Sat 11-May-13 07:26:40

Great news that baby is doing so well cycle. I find naming babies really difficult too. Still not much closer to a short list for this one either!

pinkapples Sat 11-May-13 07:33:12

I've still got 3 weeks left to as I work half terms (we're all year round) but I have been given shorter days every now and again so finish at 3 not 6pm hehe so not all bad grin

We have a name for our little girl but its the only one we both like so if she looks nothing like it or I think it doesn't suit her we may be in trouble confused

MrsBri Sat 11-May-13 08:25:33

Sounds fantastic about baby cycle's progress. Bet you're so pleased.

We have a boy's and a girl's name sorted. I believe that babies grow into their names anyway, and they alter so much from birth, that it doesn't matter what baby looks like, the name is agreed on, dependent on sex.

Sorry to everyone struggling on with work. It can't be easy for you. :-/

Withalittlesparkle Sat 11-May-13 08:31:47

We have our name all sorted and our families know what it is. It turned out really rather important because one of the last things my Nan said to me before she was sedated/passed away was "how's baby name?" She was already very confused and not making much sense but that was so clear. The name was also used at the funeral and it was nice for him to already sound like part of the family. Generally though those that know the name aren't using it, and we probably won't until he actually arrives!!

Meeting a friend for lunch today smile I haven't seen her for ages but it'll be so nice to catch up

forgetmenots Sat 11-May-13 08:35:14

In my sleep deprived state I've just cried at your post sparkle. What a lovely thing that your nan knew before she passed. flowers

Steffanoid Sat 11-May-13 08:39:42

glad that you and the baby are doing well cycle, keep up the hard work and you'll be out in no time at all ready to start your lives togetherthanks

Withalittlesparkle Sat 11-May-13 09:09:01

Forget it was one of the things that got me through, she was so excited about having a new great grandchild on the way that I couldn't let myself wallow, I had to look after myself and the baby! But yes in our heightened emotional states stories like that probably are rather tear inducing!

Just as a little side story when we started emptying out her house we found she'd bought baby a money box and had started giving him pocket money whenever she gave it to her other great grandchild! Baby will grow up know just how much his great grandparents would have loved him

forgetmenots Sat 11-May-13 09:24:54

That's really lovely. You'll start me off again!

Sunbeam18 Sat 11-May-13 09:27:24

Sparkle, sob! That is so gorgeous.

Withalittlesparkle Sat 11-May-13 09:42:05

Ok i promise I'll stop, no more preggo tears to be shed today do you hear me?!

pinkbear82 Sat 11-May-13 09:52:08

aww sparkle that is really special. And such nice memories to have from a difficult time.

well done cycle and mini cycle - hope you are both soon Home and settling in.

on the name front I'm struggling with a girl's name. and now dp isn't here to debate with it makes it even harder! Think we are settled on a boys name.
And then there is the surname debate.... mine or dp's. Lots say bubs should have same as me, and change if/when dp and I marry. I think this is now weighted by the fact dp unlikely to be at birth.
I also read that if unmarried the Dad must be there to register the birth too or he can't be included on birth certificate....
Or do I do a double barrel surname in the vain attempt at keeping everyone happy..... so many decisions and so hard!

MadameJ Sat 11-May-13 11:06:51

Morning ladies, is anyone else turning into a paranoid mess? My dd was born at 34 weeks (which is what I am today) and I swear with every twinge I am convinced labour is starting!!! I think I may start rocking in a corner before too long but then I suppose as dh pointed out everyday now is a bonus.

This thread is not accepting new messages.