Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 - thread 7 - and we're still talking as we enter the 3rd trimester

(992 Posts)
Persuasion Mon 15-Apr-13 16:36:47

We've managed to fill yet another thread, so here is a new one to keep chatting away on...

And the stats list is here

dinkystinky Mon 13-May-13 12:15:21

Shelley - looks good. I think the only other thing as Cheek mentioned is the third stage (do you want the injection and a managed third stage or for umblical cord to be left attached until it stops pulsating and natural third stage) and what pain relief options you'd ideally like to use.

Re bf clothes - with DS1 (born in April 2006 and then had a long hot summer) I just wore vest tops and skirts or shorts (and hoicked up top and used muslins to cover up as needed). I have a couple of maxi dresses now that should be ok for feeding in. Check out Jojomamanbebe (dont forget the MN discount) which has bf tops too.

shelley72 Mon 13-May-13 12:45:06

Oh yes, I haven't done the pain relief thing yet as still unsure as to mode of birth. wish I could find my previous two plans, would have both options covered then! And wasnt allowed natural third stage first time either. I think I want a vbac - just not the version they offered!

How are the jojo bf tops? quite difficult to know how things will be third time around, but specific tops I've had in the past have been quite roomy in the tummy area. I want a bit of wobble coverage but not something very billowy that makes me look bigger. had a lovely maxi dress last summer that would be ideal but it's a size 8 <weeps>

SilverBirdie Mon 13-May-13 13:48:34

badmiss my next consult appt isn't until 36 weeks so think I need to bring it forward as the first time they couldn't find my notes so seemed pointless and I got nothing from it.
Ds has had a sick bug the last few days and I was terrified I'd catch it but all seems well so far << touching non existent wood in car>> they ought to put a tiny panel of the stuff somewhere during manufacturing, don't you think??
Think we're sorted for clothes now thanks to wonderful hand me downs but totally forgotten what my 'couldn't have been without' items were last time confused except Diclofenac grin

Ds about to wake so going to buy my last batch of silver smithing bits before I leave my little business for a while .... Feels a little sad after 10 years as nobody to keep it going for me. Anyone else going to miss work?? [Hmm]

Centre Parcs a week today so hope there are no baby birdie emergencies until after I get home

Please someone reassure me that leaving the hospital bag until 34 weeks will be fine and I'm not the only one not sorting it out yet!

VinegarDrinker Mon 13-May-13 14:07:29

I packed my bag after my waters broke last time, Totally .... <slackparenticon>

shelley72 Mon 13-May-13 14:13:00

totally 34 weeks will be fine i am sure. i am just pottering around getting things sorted out whilst i have peace the DCs are out and i can actually think properly without being interrupted for a snack / the loo / to make lego etc. i also am a control freak want to make sure that i have everything i need ready and that DH doesnt bring anything inappropriate into hospital for me like when DS was born and he forgot to bring my shoes for me to go home in

silverbirdie my cons appointment is late too at 37 weeks (nothing like leaving things to the last minute). not that i know what to say when i get there. i am thinking of phoning to see if i can have a chat with the supervisor of midwives, just to see how 'fixed' VBACs are and also if there is any possibility of a HBAC though i doubt that will be agreed to. my own MW wasnt really up to speed with the way things work with regards to VBAC and so going through birth plans next week will be interesting!

dinkystinky Mon 13-May-13 14:44:05

Totally - 34 weeks is fine. Didn't pack ds1s bag till 38 weeks and he was 2 weeks late. Ds2s bag was at 36 weeks. This time round ask packing bag at 34 weeks as am on holiday that week so can find time to do it.

Shelley - definitely give the supervisor a call to find out your options. I have a couple of jjmb bf tops from when I had ds1 - they aren't too baggy around the midriff from recollection - though that may be because my humungobumps take a while to deflate.

MrsMillions Mon 13-May-13 18:35:24

Thanks for the board games feedback, that saves some packing. But all those couples on OBEM who seem to be sat around for hours on phones not talking to each other (as we are now, but we're waiting for dinner to cook not going through a life changing experience)...have they gone in too early? Were they inductees?

On the birth plan front, another thing to consider is cord blood donation - it can be used in transplants to treat leukaemia. I've seen Facebook posts about it. A friend donated her son's cord blood and he even got a certificate from the Anthony Nolan Trust. Said friend is a GP and apparently you can both donate and do delayed clamping, although presumably not full delay maybe just 5 mins. I'm going to see what I can find out over the next few weeks before deciding, but would love to be able to donate as a colleague's son has made an amazing recovery after benefitting from this scheme.

MrsMillions Mon 13-May-13 18:39:04

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-donation/Pages/Cordblooddonation.aspx (sorry on phone so can't so clever link) BUT my friend wasn't at any of the hospitals listed so the scheme must have expanded.

MrsMillions Mon 13-May-13 18:59:02

Looks like further hospitals (including my friend's) do it with Anthony Nolan but not mine hmm

http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-you-can-do/Donate-your-umbilical-cord.aspx

SilverBirdie Mon 13-May-13 19:08:28

totally only reason I'm trying to be organised is that I'll probably work upto/really close to arrival and also have Ds full time so just know if I'm not organised I'll forget the lot
millions my waters broke at home but I wasn't in any pain so got in the bath and waited for hospital to call me when they apparently had space which was 3 hours. Really nice to be in the bath at home at midnight rather than waiting for one to be free in hospital. I was 2cms when I arrived then went from 4-9cms really quickly. I think it'd have been more of a dash if my waters hadn't gone at home and I'd waited until I was in pain until going in.... I've never seen an episode on obem that's anything like when I was in with Ds but there will probably be some quite dull spells so if your drive there isn't huge then I'd say wait if you can.
Thanks for the info re: cord donation. This is the first I know of it but will certainly see if my hospital is on their list.

dinkystinky Mon 13-May-13 19:14:24

MrsMillions - I havent watched OBEM but I'd guess they were either being induced, monitored for some reason or went in too early. If you're having a straightforward birth basically the aim is to stay home as long as possible (unless you're told to come in to be checked out if waters go etc) as its a hell of a lot more comfortable than being in a hospital ward/birth centre - if you feel you need to go in for pain relief, then that's the time to go in. With DS2 we went in when I reached the I can't do this any more stage - also known as transition - and I was fully dilated when we got there. Glad to say I dont remember much of the drive in - apart from DH having to check for a flat tyre and it seeming to last for ever grin

CitizenOscar Mon 13-May-13 19:30:46

Hospital bag - not packed yet! Will pack a mini version for our holiday in France at 34 weeks (don't tell me I'm crazy to go, I'm pretty nervous about it). Then do it properly once I get back and am on maternity leave.

Board games - I guess the people hanging about in OBEM are either waiting for c-sections or inductions or have been kept in for monitoring. We certainly weren't allowed to stay until in established labour - in my case I was 7cm before being admitted and was not playing board games! DH got a bit bored over the following hours and was playing Angry Birds on his phone which I found infuriating!

Birth plan - if you've got any opinions about who you do/don't want in the room with you, good idea to note that down (eg students, MILs wink etc). Also I'll probably write something about wanting exams & intervention & monitoring only when really necessary, wanting to stay active, possibly labouring on the floor (as that's what I did last time) with a birthing ball. And wanting skin to skin & breastfeeding intentions. Maybe something about being open minded re pain relief but preferring to avoid epidural/pethidine if we can. But having said that I have no idea whether anyone even looked at my birth plan last time. Our MW was great and just seemed to "get" us and know what we wanted. Maybe she did read it - she had plenty of time to!

MrsRoss26 Mon 13-May-13 19:42:13

Thanks for the totsbots recommendation, am awaiting the end of a joblot eBay auction before diving into purchasing elsewhere. The easyfits are so cute!

sarah0000001 Mon 13-May-13 21:50:08

hi im 31wks an 5 days due 18th july grin

dinkystinky Mon 13-May-13 22:04:29

Welcome Sarah - hope your pregnancy is going well. Please add yourself and due date to the stats thread - link on first post on this thread.

IcingTheCake Tue 14-May-13 08:53:52

I think im the only one but i was told to write a birth plan at my active birth class and review it with my midwife afterwards but my birth class isnt until 36 weeks shock does that seem right or is it worth writing myself one beforehand?
Welcome Sarah hope your having a lovely boring pregnancy so far! smile

MightBeMad Tue 14-May-13 09:03:35

Wow you are all very organised!! I have 1.5 weeks left of work and plan to start thinking about getting bags and birth plans sorted then. Am feeling a bit fatalistic about the birth plan as I had no control at all last time really - the decisions made themselves due to medical necessity - so I almost feel it would be tempting fate/a waste of time to think too hard about what I actually want in an ideal world!

On a separate point, my mw was very insistent the other day that I should be careful not to do too much with my toddler and if I'm getting bhs to slow down and rest as it can cause preterm labour in second time mums. Is this really true?? I understand I shouldn't push things to extremes and should keep an eye out for anything untoward, but I thought some bhs were perfectly normal and usually harmless? I get them sometimes in the evenings if I'm tired or when I'm walking and am tiring a bit. They always go away after a rest or w night's sleep. Surely this is not a reason to panic as she seemed to be?

29+4

Welcome, Sarah

MightBe I've found it impossible to do anything less with my toddler - I'm still lifting her & carrying her around etc. I haven't noticed any effects from it. The BH seem fairly random and I think I have fewer now than I was having earlier on.
DD's birth was all dictated by medical necessity too. I'm hoping to feel a bit more in control this time.

VinegarDrinker Tue 14-May-13 11:35:00

MightBe that is nonsense. Physical activity does not cause preterm labour! And yes, BHs are normal and harmless.

VinegarDrinker Tue 14-May-13 11:36:19

Sorry, that was a bit abrupt! Basically you are right. I get BHs every time I walk! Can hardly stop walking. Still cycling too, bet your MW would have a fit!

dinkystinky Tue 14-May-13 12:59:08

Mightbe, Totally - I agree with Vinegar - BHs and hoicking around a toddler isnt the cause of pre-term labour. But FWIW, I found that my week before DS2 was born of long walks with DS1, lifting him, squatting down to play with him was all good working out for the birth for DS2 grin

dinkystinky Tue 14-May-13 13:02:45

Icing - statistically as a first time mum without complications, you're more likely to give birth at 40+ weeks rather than before 36 weeks so 36 weeks isnt too late - but you may want to start having a ponder on your birthplan regardless if you have time on your hands to think about it - makes it all feel abit more real.

My birth plan consists of please let me get on with it - I'll ask for something if I want it, please talk to my husband or doula rather than me if I'm otherwise occupied, please give vit K, please let me have skin to skin immediately and delay cord cutting and natural third stage if possible, please help remind me re good latch on bfing and check for tongue tie, please let me go home as soon as humanly possible and please dont get freaked out if I'm a noisy birther - its not pain, its just the way I give birth.

SlouchingPanda Tue 14-May-13 13:03:07

If BH were a sign of impending labour I would have had this baby six times over by now. I have them pretty much every time I do anything, including getting out of bed and having a wee. smile

shelley72 Tue 14-May-13 14:10:22

can i ask what BH feel like? i am pretty sure that i have NEVER had them. or maybe i do and just dont realise grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now