Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 - thread 7 - and we're still talking as we enter the 3rd trimester

(992 Posts)
Persuasion Mon 15-Apr-13 16:36:47

We've managed to fill yet another thread, so here is a new one to keep chatting away on...

And the stats list is here

SundaySunshine Thu 02-May-13 22:05:07

Hi all,
abzs and badmiss glad things ok with you both after your scares - your neighbours sound lovely abzs

Dinky re school dilemma, my friend recently took her boys out of private primary as they were really unhappy. They are now in the local state and are loving it, and have done really well. I'm not sure if that helps any, but I guess if your DS is happy and doing well where he is then it might be best to stick with what you (and he) know.

I'm another one suffering bad acid burn, especially when I lay on my right hand side. I'm also getting loads of BH. didn't get any with DD but maybe I'm more active this time round with DD keeping me on my toes.

Work have already started up a sweepstake on me as one colleague is convinced I'm not going to make it to the end of May without popping!! Not sure what she bases this purl of wisdom on, but it's a bit disconcerting confused

hope everyone else is ok and enjoying the lovely sunshine. Any more updates from team Shiv and little Oliver? Hope all is ok with them.

31 + 6

dinkystinky Fri 03-May-13 10:05:10

Morning all and thanks for the advice Cheese and Sunday. I think part of the issue is that there is so much uncertainty at present with DS1's current primary school - we simply dont know what its going to look like in 1,3, 5 years time and if, given the continuing uncertainty, the good teachers who are there will stay. We do take an interest in the boys education but with DH and I working long hours, by the time I get home in the evening the boys are ready for bed so its only really weekends that we get to do stuff with them and spending hours on a Saturday doing homework is simply no fun for anyone - and its only going to get harder to juggle as they get bigger. Ugh. Well no matter what we will decide one way or another this weekend.

Sunday - re acid reflux. You could try lying on a mound of pillows (so upper body is on an incline) which should help reduce it. I think you get more BH second time round - I had so many more with DS2 - but on the plus side they seem to tone up your uterus for the big event grin

Cant remember if I posted the last Shiv update - Oliver is opening his eyes more (she's posted some lovely pictures on FB - he's gorgeous!) but its still slow going. He's still on a ventilator and have episodes of bradycardia which are scaring Shiv and her DH - the drs are starting him on meds to try to close a duct between his heart and lungs which would close naturally if he was full term.

photographerlady Fri 03-May-13 14:24:47

SundaySunshine have you tried ice lollies after meals? Helped me with acid issues. Sounds weird I know.

Supershiv1 Fri 03-May-13 22:29:32

Arrgh. Was going to put update on facebook but have used my data limit on phone. I do now have access to the hospital wifi but social media is barred.
Oliver is on day 5 of 6 of indomethacin to close his PDA and it looks like it's reducing. If all goes well he will be looked to get off his ventilation onto CPAP or BPAP towards the end of the weekend.
He is now the oldest on the NICU and we have seen lots of other babies graduate to HDU. He is still very poorly but he's still with us and has so much personality.
Daddy is proud as he did his first big, non engineered poo yesterday.
Still only held him for 15 mins but can live with that.
If I can escape the boob cannon for long enough I will create a blog page with some photos.
I have a post in premature births where I have had some support from others in similar situations and there's a link to a really good blog there.
I hope you guys are all well with your pregnancies and I am jealous of your burgeoning bumps.
Last word of advice - if you think you need a 5 hour poo phone the midwife!
Siobhan, DH & Oliver xxx

dinkystinky Fri 03-May-13 22:42:39

Shiv - thanks for the update and I'm pleased you are getting good support on the premature birth board. It must be good to be able to speak with people who know exactly what you are feeling - and have been where you are and come out the other side. I'm so happy the meds seem to be doing the trick and will keep my fingers crossed he comes off the breathing apparatus soon so he can enjoy all those cuddles you and DH have been storing up for him. He's doing brilliantly and we are all very proud of Oliver - and you and your DH x

MarieKL Fri 03-May-13 23:21:56

Shiv It's lovely to hear that Oliver is doing well and the medicines are working. You're in our thoughts and prayers and I hope that those cuddles will get longer and longer as time goes by. He really is a little fighter.

Dinky good luck with making your decision about schools. I'm sure whatever you decide it may be different to the other option but will work out well.

I'm also a human dustbin, partly because what seems to ease the acid most is eating more!!!

Sunshine I think I'd be miffed about a May arrival sweepstake too!

We're struggling with boy names too, but have a girls name we both agree on, though I have a feeling we may be having another boy!

Hope you all enjoy your Bank Holiday weekend. We're of to the Yorkshire Dales tomorrow for a week. Shattered so can't wait for the break, and then just three more weeks left of work, yippee.

paolocee Fri 03-May-13 23:41:25

Shiv, you OH and Oliver are amazing. That is all. (I may be quite drunk).

Shiv - thanks for the update. It all sounds pretty positive - glad to hear Oliver is making progress and you're getting some support from other people in a similar situation. Congratulations to Oliver on the poo! I'm sure the hugs will be worth waiting for.

MrsMillions Sat 04-May-13 08:04:46

Paolo are you drinking for us all? Thank-you!

Lovely update Shiv, sounds like he's doing really well.

Our room is on the east side of our house so the sun woke me up about the same time my alarm usually does, grrr. Have enjoyed some TV and MN under the duvet (DH had escaped to the computer already to let me rest) but need to get up shortly as PILs arriving in around an hour.

Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend.

30+2

MightBeMad Sat 04-May-13 08:40:33

Morning all!

Shiv so glad to hear Oliver is doing so well!

Sorry I haven't managed to catch up
Roperly - poorly toddler here. But I am checking in to keep up to date all your news.

28+1

IcingTheCake Sat 04-May-13 08:47:25

Ahhh lovely update on Oliver smile

mrsmillions ahh being woken by the sun is much nicer than an alarm though wink

Thinkingof4 Sat 04-May-13 10:46:35

shiv thank for the update, fx that Oliver is next to 'graduate' from nicu to hdu.

Can't think straight this morning after ds3 being up since 4ish, then ds2 wetting the bed at 5am :-(
Dh has taken boys put for the morning so I got a catch up sleep and now I'm planning a lazy morning maybe doing my online asda shop for tomorrow
The sun is out here so I better get myself dressed so I can enjoy it

josine32 Sat 04-May-13 11:35:50

Hi there ladies,

Just wanted to say I'm due on the 25th July with DD (1st) Would someone be able to add me to the list? She's going to be called Claire (both Dutch and English name as DH is English)

Thanks x

BadMissM Sat 04-May-13 11:39:23

Shiv so glad to hear Oliver doing so much better and that the meds appear to be having some effect! Lots of love to all three of you xxxx

My stupid neightbours woke me up at 8.30 am again with their stupid washing machines on every floor (no, seriously), then by playing noisy classical music through the walls..... Grrr. After I had a really bad night too. So I gave up and got up!

Growth scan yesterday, all going fine despite the GD, he was playing with his feet!

MrsMillions Sat 04-May-13 21:32:15

Oh yes icing the sun alarm is so much better than an alarm clock. I hate waking up in the dark all winter.

dinkystinky Sat 04-May-13 22:26:48

Evening all - Shiv posted on FB this evening and Oliver (and Shiv and her DH) have not had a good day - Oliver has an infection and is on antibiotics and the duct which was starting to close has opened up again and can't be treated while he is on antibiotics. The next 24 hours or so are critical so we really need to keep Oliver, Shiv and Mr Shiv in our thoughts and prayers tonight. Keep up the good fight Oliver - we are all rooting for you.

Kind of puts all my angsting over trivial things like schools into perspective.

Supershiv1 Sat 04-May-13 22:45:29

Still angst dinky, you are allowed to.
Was always told this would be a rollercoaster, but was beginning to allow myself a bit of hope and then almost as penance for thinking of frivolous things and potentially the future, this damn infection happens.
Apparently not uncommon in premature babies but really really bad timing for Oliver in relation to his duct and progress.

dinkystinky Sat 04-May-13 22:59:24

Shiv - huge hugs to you and DH. You must be emotionally drained and shattered after all the ups and downs of the past few days. keep hold of that hope - Oliver has surprised and delighted all with his resilience and determination in the past - I really hope he continues to do so for an awfully long time to come x

SundaySunshine Sun 05-May-13 11:49:04

Oh Shiv it must be exhausting to be on such an emotional and fraught roller coaster. I hope things have improved over night. Sending you, your DH and of course little Oliver huge hugs xx flowers

MightBeMad Sun 05-May-13 12:19:25

Oh shiv, so sorry to hear Oliver is fighting an infection. Fingers crossed he'll be much improved by the time you read this. I hope you have all had a peaceful night. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts xxx

whitedaffodil Sun 05-May-13 13:04:43

oh shiv I can say no more than sending the most positive thoughts to your little man Oliver as I'm sure all the other quieter ladies on the thread are too.

Thinkingof4 Sun 05-May-13 14:38:52

Sending positive vibes to shiv and Oliver to beat this infection.

Cheeseandbread Sun 05-May-13 16:52:02

Shiv thinking of you and your little fighter Oliver. I hope he had a good night and us getting stronger once again.

dinkystinky Sun 05-May-13 20:45:21

Shiv posted on FB to say Oliver made it through the night heavily sedated.'I hope the enforced rest is helping him kick that infection into touch.

Had my Shaad today - may never need to eat again! - followed by a lovely pregnancy massage courtesy of my lovely husband who had noticed I hadn't been sleeping well of late.

IcingTheCake Sun 05-May-13 21:29:36

My thoughts are with Oliver, sending so much love their way xx

Glad your Shaad went well dinky shame its not something every pregnant woman has to do wink id love to be given the excuse to just eat!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now