Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2013: Growing bumps and the second trrimester glowing begins!

(1000 Posts)

Welcome to thread six of the October bus. how long will this one last us?!

Old thread here

Stats thread here

Well she never slept for more than 60 mins at a time last night only sleeping 3 hours since 7pm in total I am never looking after her again ever and I hope and pray to the powers that be that baby bean is a reasonable sleeper at least! She is as a result going home now. Dont worry ladies i dont think it will happy to any of us her DM goes out every weekend baby goes with whomever I think she is a very insecure happy baby but its not something thats going to change any time soon sad

happen not happy

and unhappy not happy

grr no sleep causes many mistakes sorry ladies!

pinksky Sun 14-Apr-13 07:35:46

Quite a few of us planning home births then smile. do you think they're becoming more popular?

MoN I had lunch last week with a pregnant friend who had struggled to produce enough milk with her previous babies. She used a supplemental nursing system to top up, have you every looked into that? Looks very fiddly but she was really positive about it.

Shootingstars I like the stokke because of the baby being high up but I worry that they are easy to unbalance - is that just a perception because of the design? How do you find it over rough terrain?

pinksky Sun 14-Apr-13 07:39:23

Sounds like a really difficult night, Falcon, and so sad if the baby isn't happy... hope you can recuperate today.
A poor sleeper is probably one of my biggest fears. how on earth do people cope when they have to go back to work?

My 2 have always been good sleepers, I can't function on little or no sleep! Bf both, was very lucky it came easily and naturally to me, I ended up Co sleeping with them as well (although dh works nights, so made it easier) I was quite laid back and went with the flow, had good family and mw support, general consensus was happy mum = happy baby!

pinksky That sounds like it may be worth a try. I just googled and apparently they are useful for Downs babies because they can have reduced muscle tone and find it hard to suck. I'd never heard of them before.
I had asked my midwife about supplements I could take and she said they would only reccomend them as a last resort. Surely 4 babies failing to gain weight should be enough of a reason to bloody give me something to help me.

Sephy Sun 14-Apr-13 09:39:06

I've put DH in charge of choosing a buggy so he's got a thing that's his job, so he's a bit more involved. I'm slightly regretting it as he's also now trying to find cots, changing tables etc and has ideas very different to mine about what we'd like! When it's just aesthetic differences quite happy to let him decide as planned, but when it's about function I keep reminding myself that I'm the one who'll have to cope with things arranged in an awkward way.
Ah well, grateful that he's interested and is not begrudging spending several hundred pounds on stuff that had never previously occurred to him!
Hayle, how's the sickness going?

Jealous of those who have felt flutters too

roofio87 Sun 14-Apr-13 10:31:25

morning all. I want to bf, so will have to see how it goes. to those that have did you find expressing milk easy! did you have an electric or a hand pump? I like the idea of being able to express and share at least a little of the feeding duties,but I know its not always easy.
I've woken up feeling really hungover, headache, thirsty, so tired. not fair seeing as I haven't touched a drop in months!!smile

In laws gone now. I am so tired and woke up at 2 for a couple of hours and again at 5 so that didn't help. Had to hold my tongue when getting some pregnancy advice. Things have obviously changed over the last 30 years like tying some pretty ribbons onto the booties I have knitted to keep them from falling off and make them look nicer (I think that's a choke hazard so don't want to), and mil thought was a silly, unecessary idea to avoid laying on my back to sleep even though research now says it can cut off oxygen and increase chances of being stillborn. She also tried to be modern I think and said her 1980s baby book that I can borrow (yay) said hormones are released at 6 weeks that decide whether the baby will be gay or whether it will be a manly shaped woman or feminine woman. hmm I just say "oh ok" and not give an opinion. Even DH was rolling his eyes at that one.

Sorry, had to have a mini rant. DH gets upset when I get annoyed with his mum at him. It happened a lot over our wedding!

Looking forward to my last day of holiday before going back to work and the sun is shining as promised so think we will get out in the garden. Anyone got nice plans for the sunshine?

roxvox Sun 14-Apr-13 12:56:25

roofio I feel the same... After quite a relaxing day yesterday and a good 9-10 hours sleep, I feel absolutely rotten today! So much so that I burst into uncontrollable tears this morning when we were talking about what to do today (the in-laws are visiting this weekend) and as a result they've gone out with DH and I am back in bed!

We're off out to a Jamie's Italian tonight and I am examining the menu in advance to work out what I can and can't eat. Unfortunately it seems to be a cheese and cured meat minefield (both of which I would normally love). I think I have managed to narrow it down though I will kill anyone in my party who orders the cured meat platter because I want it so badly

On the subject of breast feeding; I definitely want to, although the idea of it does seem slightly strange to me at the minute. But it is definitely something I want to do!

orangeblossom your MIL's comments made me laugh! Although I can imagine it getting very frustrating to be at the receiving end of the "advice".

Smitten1981 Sun 14-Apr-13 13:47:26

Rox - I think you can eat cured meat NHS says that in some countries they are advised not to, but not in the UK.

Smitten1981 Sun 14-Apr-13 13:48:38

Cold cured meats include salami, parma ham, chorizo and pepperoni. Some countries advise pregnant women to avoid eating cold cured meats or smoked fish as there is a small risk of these foods harbouring listeria or the toxoplasma parasite that causes toxoplasmosis. Currently in the UK pregnant women aren't advised to avoid these products. However, you might choose to avoid cured meats and smoked fish while you are pregnant if you are concerned about these risks.

roxvox Sun 14-Apr-13 14:20:07

Thanks smitten. Kind of wish I had only ever looked at the NHS list of foods and hadn't Googled it (this is back in the earlier days just after our BFP) as then I wouldn't have it in my head that I can't eat it. Now, as badly as I want it, if I did get ill as a result of eating it and harmed my baby then I couldn't forgive myself because I've read the warnings.

notsoold Sun 14-Apr-13 14:51:18

My firstborn , lovely dd slept like a angel quite soon and I thought that having the second one would follow suit....
Ds did not follow his sister's footsteps...didn't sleep well.Had to sleep in his own bed! Any noise would wake him up etc....
I always wondered why....then when dd turned 13 she had his sleeping patterns and as soon as ds was around 12 he became like her.
He has go to bed at 9.30 ( being 13 it is not cool) otherwise nothing short of a bucket full of water will wake him. He sleeps if the alarm goes on, phone ringing , dog barking etc....

But I have this LO will sleep because I love my bed.
Planning to bf again....

Planning to breastfeed too.

HotSoupDumpling Sun 14-Apr-13 16:49:44

orange, I've had to do lots of in-law related eye rolling/ tongue-biting already. I feel your pain.

I would love to be able to eat jamon iberico. Nom nom nom. Might do some more research.

Wickedgirl Sun 14-Apr-13 18:26:41

roofio.........I found expressing really easy using a manual breast pump.

The first 6 weeks of breast feeding are really tough going but if you can get through those early weeks, it becomes so much easier

I have spent the day in bed recuperating after last nights sleeplessness. I may get flamed for this but i have decided to let baby bean have her first feed of colostrum then on the formula we go. This is what happened with oliver through accident more than design but i think i will be happy to be in control of situation after birth this time as i think it had a part to play in me getting pnd last time. I want to be a happy mum as i think this will be more beneficial to bean than an unhappy mum who gives her booby milk smile

Sorry now you all know my Ds is called oliver oh well its not like I am in the secret service or anything lol

roofio87 Sun 14-Apr-13 19:15:50

Haha yes falcon we all know exactly who you are now as there's only one person in the world with a son named Oliver!! wink
no one on here is going to flame anyone else (I hope anyway) over something like choice of feeding. I totally agree that its what makes mum.happy as then they can concentrate on being the best possible mum. I want to try bf but I'm not going to beat myself up about it if I find it too hard (or will try not to at least!!)

ananikifo Sun 14-Apr-13 19:24:05

Yes, no flaming here please. Oliver is a lovely name! Not that I have any interest in names lately.

I just bought a bunch of brightly coloured babygrows on eBay. This could get addictive very fast! At least I don't need maternity clothes yet, so it's a trade off? Right?

pinksky Sun 14-Apr-13 19:47:16

No flaming here. I've been really surprised to see how difficult feeding is and that it takes most people weeks to get into the flow--I had no idea until recently. This group has been unjudgemental so far and I'm sure it'll continue like that.

I've been watching lots of things on ebay but not bitten the bullet yet. I have already bought some nappies and wipes at various supermarket baby events. Thought if I buy a few things each month it'll make life easier.

Wickedgirl Sun 14-Apr-13 19:49:21

Falcon....the only person who gets to choose the right way of feeding their baby is mum (with support from dad). Never feel that you have to justify your parenting to anyone

As long as the baby is loved and fed, it really doesn't care if that milk is formula or breast milk

This thread is not accepting new messages.