Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013: Growing bumps and the second trrimester glowing begins!

(1000 Posts)

Welcome to thread six of the October bus. how long will this one last us?!

Old thread here

Stats thread here

Natalieand Sun 21-Apr-13 19:19:42

We took dd on a shoe shopping spree then the the seaside for the fair and ice cream came home had a nap and dh just got us a Chinese as was his turn to cook and he couldn't be bothered lol.

taking where do u live? Usually there's like macdonalds' everywhere u can't get away from them lol

smitten is there a chance u will get your results before Wednesday (as in is Wednesday the latest possible date)

takingachance Sun 21-Apr-13 19:30:25

No fast food at all here in the Western Isles! Island off the North West of Scotland, so its a ferry journey and a drive to Inverness for Maccyds, KFC, Subway etc etc. Good for being virtuous, but bad for when you just 'need' to junk out!

Love taking my dd shoe shopping - she is such a girlie girl - not really like me at all. Probably just her age, but she would love to own a pair of shoes for each day of the year!!

Smitten1981 Sun 21-Apr-13 19:34:38

I don't feel too bad. I only have one every three months, if that. It was yum, but I'm ready to pop now.

They said they might call with the results on Tuesday but it would probably be Wednesday as they took the sample so late on Thursday afternoon and they didn't send it to the lab until Friday. I think I nearly managed to fit every day of the week in there!

I'm working from home until I get the results, if it is bad news it's not the kind of call I want to take in the office. I keep flitting between thinking it will be fine to thinking that someone has to be that 7%.

At least if it is fine we'll find out the sex early and I'd have 'skipped' a week because I haven't really been feeling very maternal this week and haven't had any symptoms at all. I've tried to put baby thoughts to the back of my mind. So I shall resume at week 14.

I've been googling obsessively and my blood levels don't look too bad to me. But then again, I have no idea what I'm looking at really. I wish I knew someone who worked in that area.

Smitten1981 Sun 21-Apr-13 19:37:13

Ps. A trip to the seaside sounds awesome, especially with the lovely weather. Very jealous.

Taking - living on an island with no fast food options sounds amazing. I'd be feeling very virtuous!

Shirehobbit Sun 21-Apr-13 20:27:11

That explains why your hospital is so far away takingachance!

Talking of names lists, ours keeps changing too - we've been making lists of top 5s since we first fell pregnant last year, but every time we review the lists, we change our minds! I think both of our favourite names have been vetoed by the other (for good reasons, too). My favourite boys name was Isaac, funnily enough - but that was DH's name his mother called him when he was being an arse (they can't remember why, though!)

Hope you get your results sooner rather than later, Smitten

roofio87 Sun 21-Apr-13 21:01:00

orangeblossom I really like that blanket you're doing. I might do that next, atm I'm just doing a stripy one with bright colours. an October baby can't have enough blankets I figure!!grin

Claphammama Sun 21-Apr-13 21:27:49

Hope you all had a lovely sunny weekend! First BBQ of the year - yeah!! Trying to get some red meet inside me. I had problems with iron levels with DS1 so trying to prevent it this time. I'm not a big meet eater though - happier to be a vegetarian. So a bit of a struggle.

Almost there smitten! Not long now - this weekend must have felt terribly long for you. Good that you can work from home. Less stress than being in the office. Thinking about you often!

I went for a walk earlier today and "happened" to go into two baby clothes shops... spent ages looking at both baby boy and girl stuff. Gorgeous tiny summer dresses prompted a temporary preference for a little girl! I'm too superstitious to buy anything though... will feel safer after my 20 weeks scan. I'm a born pessimist... can't wait to start buying tiny things!

Also really looking forward to my pregnancy yoga starting on Wednesday! is anyone else doing any exercise? I was really bad with it last time.

Claphammama Sun 21-Apr-13 21:36:10

ps. talking about people's reactions to the names we like - I honestly don't give a damn. They will get used to them and will end up liking them.
I must say the best reaction when we names DS1 came from my MIL: "Leonardo? why not Jonathan?"

where the hell did that come from..???

Haha Clapham that made me laugh and loud and disturb my sleeping DH oops (he has given up waiting for me to finish my work). I plan to do pregnancy yoga run by midwives at my hospital once I am too big to go to regular Pilates. I bought a Davina exercise DVD but so far haven't tried it... Must start exercising again now I don't have the nausea excuse anymore.

ananikifo Sun 21-Apr-13 22:34:03

Ooh roofio your blanket is gorgeous! I'm finally getting to the owl part of my owl cardigan and it has involved re-teaching myself cables.

If anyone is interested, I taught myself to knit using the videos on knittinghelp.com and now solve any problems or look up techniques on the forums of ravelry.

HotSoupDumpling Mon 22-Apr-13 07:49:06

Well thank you everyone, you've just encouraged me to make a trip into town and blow unconscionable amounts of money on some lovely wool and start a blanket! I do knit (adequately but not as skilled as Roofio!) but morning sickness made me lose interest in anything until recently. I love Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino but I don't think it's machine washable...plus the costs really rack up with a blanket as opposed to e.g. a little hat.

Welcome taking!

Smitten, good luck with the wait, prob a good idea to work from home.

I really really want some McD chicken nuggets...

takingachance Mon 22-Apr-13 09:47:34

Morning everyone!
Right, please stop mentioning McDs now....not fair envy !!

Well it's a miserable day here, blowing a gale, raining, but now the kids are at school, the dogs are walked and the ponies are fed, at least I can stay inside. But suppose that means housework, boo sad

Or I could be distracted by online shopping.......

Haylebop12 Mon 22-Apr-13 09:59:52

Raining?? I've got my washing out grin enjoying a cuppa before picking dd up at 11:30. Roll on full time school hehe!

How is everyone feeling today?

Second day off the anti sickness and all is well except I've caught my dads stinking cold. DM has it too so can't drop dd off for the afternoon so I can nap!

roxvox Mon 22-Apr-13 10:10:34

Morning everyone.

Welcome takingachance!

Fingers crossed for you this week Smitten. I would be working from home too.

My Gran taught me to knit last year, but whenever I try to do it on my own I end up with a really tight knit that looks terrible and is impossible to work with. I think I might have to watch some of those training videos! I have a couple of needles and a bunch of wool so don't have any excuse really. My Mum sent me a load of photos of some patterns whe's bought and is intending to work on. I think she's a little disappointed now to hear that we aren't looking to find out the sex as it means she can't knit the obviously boy outfits or obviously girl outfits and will need to pick colours other than pink and blue! Apparently Gran has been knitting too, so my baby is going to be wooled up to the max!

Bit of a random question, but has anyone thought about who they want in the delivery room with them? On all of the TV programmes (i.e. 'OBEM' and 'Don't just stand there, I am having your baby') they seem to have their partner in the room and their mother, but I always thought it would just be me and DH in the room (plus midwives etc of course).

My house is like a bomb hit it sad

Other than that my best friends waters broke she is in hospital grin she was due on wednesday so i'm so happy she is having a wee girl too!

Hows everyone else?

takingachance Mon 22-Apr-13 10:14:39

Oh Hayle I remember when I lived on the mainland and had 'normal' weather!!

Glad your sickness is gone smile - my nausea has been gone about 2 weeks and it is so nice to be able to eat normally again. I found it really difficult to cook for the kids too as all the cooking smells made me feel sick. Still getting awful heartburn in the evenings though - a glass of milk is my saviour!

roxvox I had my mum the first time with Ds I was only 24 and i thought it would be nice for her to see her grandchild born I supppose, I did tell her to f**k off during a contraction though blush

takingachance Mon 22-Apr-13 10:18:52

Definitely just my DH in for the delivery, rox My mum will probably be looking after dd anyway smile

I know what you mean about bombs and houses falcon ! Still, little by little - trouble is, you do one bit and then by the time you get the other bits done, the original bit is messed up (usually by the teenagers!!)

Haylebop12 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:19:48

roxvox I was lucky with dd, there was only two other ladies labouring when I was and they were having cs's. so they were really flexible with me. As I was 100 miles away from home dh and mil came to hosp. When my mum arrived I half expected mil to leave but she didn't. So I had dh, DM and mil! It was fine though and they all really cherish seeing dd (first girl both sides) being born. This time we are in my home town so I will have dh and hopefully DM too. My mum is such a strong level headed person I would love her to be there.

Claphammama Mon 22-Apr-13 10:25:34

ONLY my DP. My mother would drive me bonkers. Plus she is 2,000 miles away - sometimes a shame and sometimes a blessing! I had only him when I was giving birth to DS1 and it was lovely to be on our own - we really bonded over the experience.

carcassonne Mon 22-Apr-13 10:31:09

Thinking of you smitten and hope the next day or two goes quickly.

I only had DH last time for the birth as picked one day our doula couldn't make to go in to labour. MWs were there for last 40 mins but DH was all I needed.

This time will have DH, our independent MW & hopefully our doula - if she can get to us on time from London. Would like someone else around as DD may well be there so could do with someone to focus in me if DH has to look after DD.

roofio87 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:37:15

roxvox funny you should mention it. my mil made a comment a while back about how because my mother will be there she doesn't mind not being there. however my DM lives 100 miles away and runs her own b&b so can't just drop everything when I go into labour. I'm also not fussed about her being there. when my mil heard this she said "oh good I can be there then!" I was horrified. I love my mil but for me this is a special moment for me and dp as we become our family so I pulled her aside and said if I'm there for a while she can pop in and see us before and can be first visitor afterwards but that I just want it to be me and dp for the actual birth. I think/hope she took it well!! blush smile

carcassonne Mon 22-Apr-13 10:39:25

Gorgeous blanket Btw roofio. Some knitting buddies are going to help me make something not too hideous for this one. Poor DD had a very ropey blanket.

Claphammama Mon 22-Apr-13 10:39:25

She will come round to it. It's a very intimate moment. I would feel uncomfortable having my DM or my MIL there.

JellyCurls Mon 22-Apr-13 11:12:59

Will be me, DH and a midwife at delivery no way am I having anyone else. Actually not allowed in my hospital, no visitors at all to labour ward except partner.

17 wks today and feeling very in pregnant snd sorry for myself. Off work sick with temp, heavy cold and shivers. Hot drinks and hog water bottle not helping. Is Vick ok to use or steaming face with oblas oil?

This thread is not accepting new messages.