Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013: Growing bumps and the second trrimester glowing begins!

(1000 Posts)

Welcome to thread six of the October bus. how long will this one last us?!

Old thread here

Stats thread here

Baby sitting for my cousins 6 month old tonight its not going well :/ makes me realize how useless i am at the baby stage sad

Natalieand Sat 13-Apr-13 20:25:08

falcon just remember its different when it's your own its different

wicked I had a sickness bug in last pregnancy at 13 weeks and midwife said just to keep fluids up by drinking lucozade and if it lasts longer than 24-48 hours to contact her back incase of dehydration and that it wouldn't affect baby at all xxx

My Ds was an angel still is this is my worry. He slept all night from a few weeks old and only had a hand full of bad days when he was teething so i have never done the sleepless newborn stage iyswim.

racheld33 Sat 13-Apr-13 20:52:17

Marking my place on the new thread....

wicked I had a sickness bug at 7 weeks (plus roaring morning sickness) spent 5 days with my head in a bucket/bin/toilet but other than that unscathed. I agree with other posters to say, just keep up the fluids if it comes brew

racheld33 Sat 13-Apr-13 20:53:33

falconmistress you had an angel baby, I am jealous! I had a non sleeper for 13 months, so feel this time I'm due an angel!

Haylebop12 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:03:51

falcon my dd was a brilliant sleeper too. From
9 weeks with the odd rough patch due to teething. This child is already causing so many problems its very likely to continue confused isn't it?!

cazboldy Sat 13-Apr-13 21:04:01

falcon

this baby will probably be like that too! smile

sorry if this annoys anyone, but I haven't had a bad one yet - only time I have ever had a sleepless night was through sickness/illness.

Youngest slept from 10 - 6 at 11 days..... and the oldest was 10 weeks.....

co - sleeping definitely helps, and i think if you can get more than 4 hours in a stretch you feel almost human smile

Shirehobbit Sat 13-Apr-13 21:07:04

We're kind of assuming the worst as both DH and I were nightmare babies. If there is any justice in the world, according to our mothers, we should produce the reddest, angriest, noisyest, insomniac baby ever born wink

racheld33 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:11:28

haylebop your due a good baby surely after having HG!

Livened Sat 13-Apr-13 21:12:14

Re prams: we have a silver cross surf and it's been very good, but now my (tall) 15 month old looks almost too big for it and it's also going to be useless when this baby arrives. It was a fab travel system when he was younger though.

I wish in hindsight we had gone for a Phil and Teds Explorer, as it can be a single or a double and is ideal for dog walking and walking to the pub etc. I can't fault the silver cross, but I wish it could convert to a tandem like the iCandy peach (deemed too heavy to lift at the time). It can have a boogie board, but I don't think at 21 months my toddler will stay on it for more than two seconds!

I must have been really lucky with my 4 dc's. They all slept through from 2 wks old. I often wonder if its because I attempted to breast feed them all but simply never produced enough milk so by the time I admitted defeat and gave them a bottle around the 2 week mark they were just so bloody relieved not to be hungry that they slept.

Shirehobbit Sat 13-Apr-13 21:16:41

Thanks Livened, I've not heard of Phil and Teds, yet. I'll go Google...

racheld33 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:21:13

MoN I bf my 'difficult' baby till 12 months, so that might be why he started sleeping finally at 13 months! wink But i had friends who bf who were great sleepers so don't think it always is the case smile

I really wanted to breastfeed but my babies just kept losing weight instead of gaining. They always appeared to be feeding well but just never gained weight.
With my last baby I was attached to a breast pump in hospital for an hour and only managed to express 5ml.
I still want to attempt it this time but I won't beat myself up if it doesn't work out.

racheld33 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:47:12

MoN bf seems to be very hit and miss amongst my friends. It either goes well, with milk a plenty (I used to express a full bottle in 10 mins!) or constant struggle, with not much coming. The main thing is you do what is best, and works for you and your baby smile

Doesn't mean I'm still not jealous of all your good sleeping babies! envy

JellyCurls Sat 13-Apr-13 21:48:28

Bloody hell you lot can chatter, away from phone for three days and you are on another thread....

16 weeks tomorrow and Braxton Hicks have started already - oh the joys!

Wickedgirl Sat 13-Apr-13 22:00:50

Thank you for the reassurances........that has made me feel less teary.

Pregnancy is such a scary time isn't it?

Evening ladies, I've finally told family and friends that we are expecting! Told the DD's first and they were so sweet, so surprised and delighted! We let them phone the nannas and grandads (could here the slight confused, "really?" conversations!) Have since had some cracking comments from them, DD1 (8) said are you having a baby because you kiss a lot? Then she exclaimed you two have had sex! We ignored her blush DD2 keeps saying a baby sister is coming, tried to explain it may be a brother, but then she says she will have 2 babies then! Hmmmm maybe we will have to find out to prepare her (she's 4)

Pushchair wise we will probably go for the same sort as we had 8yrs ago, it's just the basic mothercare 3 wheeler that comes with car seat, it's fairly cheap, but good for tall dh and dog walking (bad points are its quite big and heavy) but it lasted both the girls till they wanted to walk, and I'll sling the baby a lot as well.

Natalieand Sat 13-Apr-13 22:16:13

Dd was kinda average sleeping wise for me I used to dream feed her at 11ish then she would sleep till 4ish then back to sleep till normal daylight hours lol and as she got to 5 ish months she became a nightmare so I did controlled crying and she's slept ever since. Always had the once in a blue moon night if she was poorly or slept to late in day etc but she certainly wasn't what I would call hard work. I'd be happy with another the same lol.

How r u feeling now hayley?

Am I the only one who doesn't have the urge to breast feed? It really does nt appeal to me at all (not wanting to cause a riot) xx

Haylebop12 Sat 13-Apr-13 22:32:14

natalie feeling better yes. I do think things are improving too,

I had no desire to bf my dd. and the midwives didn't bat an eyelid hmm definitely want to give it a go this time mind but also want to be able to express. I think I would give up a little quicker if I can't express tbh but I may be totally wrong and love having a baby attached to me all day/night grin

legallyblond Sat 13-Apr-13 22:54:29

flyer I had an anterior placenta with DD and didn't feel any movement until 26 weeks... I was so worried! I am a size 8/10, so I font think it's a size thing. In hindsight though, I didn't really know what the movements should feel like, so probably would have felt them earlier if I knew what they felt like....

Irishfairy Sat 13-Apr-13 23:45:34

Marking my place.
Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Weather supposed to be lovely here tomorrow but I'll believe it when I see it!

I'm also going for a home birth. I wish I had been more informed and gone for one with my first. Ended up with a lot of unnecessary interventions which is unfortunately a consequence of the system in hospitals. It wasn't what I wanted at all so hoping it is different this time around and I can let my body do what I know it can do! It's quite pro home birth in this area so hoping I have plenty of support from the midwives (the natural route is completely my personal birth preference and I don't in anyway judge anyone who wants a different birth, to each their own! I just find it sad when a woman's wishes during birth are not respected for the wrong reasons)

Shootingstarsandcomets Sun 14-Apr-13 04:16:05

I've been up with ds since 3am sad. He has never been a great sleeper but we are at my parents tonight as its his christening tomorrow, he never sleeps well here as we are all in one room so I bought him into bed with me at 11 and the little octopus woke me at 3 doing acrobatics over my head and gurgling to himself. We are now up downstairs so DH can sleep. What on earth am I going to do when there are two of them?! Please let this new one be an angel baby who sleeps from 2 weeks old. I am such a good sleeper so surely my children should inherit this?!

Shootingstarsandcomets Sun 14-Apr-13 04:19:48

Push chair wise we have the stokke xplory and its amazing I think I will keep it and sling the small one until ds is walking well as am loathe to swap it for a double one. Anyone with two small people think I need a double?
I loved breastfeeding ds but had to stop at 4 months as kept getting mastitis. I'll try again with this one too. I don't think it makes a difference to their sleep ds is now on bottles and still not great whereas some of his bf friends have slept through for months.

Wickedgirl Sun 14-Apr-13 06:42:05

My 3 all slept well from a young age and were very happy babies. I am hoping for another easy going baby

I am hoping to breast feed again as I breasted mine until they were at least 8 months old.

I am booked into a midwifery led unit but that may have to change depending on how the 20 week scan goes

This thread is not accepting new messages.