Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated Elderberries (numero 3)

(1000 Posts)
BraveLilBear Tue 09-Apr-13 10:26:20

Welcome back oh graduated elderberries. Let us discuss the delights of being over-30 first-timers with google obsessions grin

janey1234 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:20:12

Hello all. Blimey I've missed a lot this afternoon. Yep am indeed 29+6, can't add though as unsure how to do it on my phone blush

Alex - it's widely debated which is better, a tear or a cut. Lots of threads on here. Some people say tears as they heal better (rough edges rather than smooth) whereas others say at least you can control the damage with a cut - and which direction it goes in. I read of someone who tore upwards to her clitoris confused though which put the fear of god into me.

Hazle in terms of epidural - they do seem a godsend. Worth reading up of you're more likely to need an episiotomy or ventouse or forceps if you have one though - NCT classes drum that into you here.

Midwife appt this afternoon. BP up again. She was quite shocked at the state of my ankles on fri ( showed her a pic) and thankfully I didn't have protein in my urine again or I would have been admitted to hospital for the duration. She then was talking about trying to keep the baby in until 34 weeks without any damage to me... Anyway I think they're being overly cautious but am on weekly checks now and joint consultant/midwife led care. Harrumph.

janey1234 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:27:55

Oh found out mind was head down today too - but only because I asked. She said there was still plenty of time for it to turn the wrong way round though?!

grin At fanjo hiccups - I've had those too!

Cavort Mon 29-Apr-13 18:29:09

At the last appointment MW said baby was transverse just by looking at the shape of my belly and then had quite a light feel to confirm. This time though they (MW and a student) had a right old prod around which was getting a bit uncomfortable at times. They prodded much deeper into my belly than I would dare to do myself. I have a really hard lump under my ribs on the right (which I had concluded Shelock Holmes-style was either a head or an arse) so they had a good feel and confirmed the head is down but not engaged (I guess that's an easier shape to distinguish) and the hard lump is her backside and her back is down my right side, which makes sense as most of the movement and kicking is on the left.

If yours doesn't tell you at your next appointment I would definitely ask, especially if there's a chance you might be induced early as you will have less time to encourage her into a better position. Unless of course you get fanjo hiccuping in the meantime grin

Cavort Mon 29-Apr-13 18:33:04

Janey that's good that you are being monitored closely but 34 weeks!!! You had better get a bag packed! smile

janey1234 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:35:13

We don't have a roof cavort! But yes, have come home and started washing baby grows. Thankfully think I've bought everything I need for a hospital bag so will be packed by weds latest (after washing has dried!). Strange....

shock bloody hell Janey, you sound in a worse state than me! Hope everything is ok and you're not worrying too much, sounds a bit scary flowers

janey1234 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:46:32

Thanks purple. I feel totally fine and oddly relaxed about it all really. How's your itching btw?

Yeah I'm ok, certainly cant complain compared to you, they've just got to take bloods every two weeks and monitor, don't know any more really because it all depends how high risk my bloods come back. At least you're organised though, I haven't bought any of the stuff for my bag, maybe I should get on with that hey!
Fingers crossed for you that baby can stay in there a little bit longer without making you ill. I think you could be in line for the first berry baby though from the sound of it!

janey1234 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:14:39

I think she was just warning me how it might go. I'm still hoping for an elcs at 39 weeks, or induction at 40! So we're both being monitored loads now - the nhs can be brilliant, hey. And yes, get buying and packing - I guess none of us know what might be around the corner!

Cavort Mon 29-Apr-13 19:27:53

Janey don't let trivialities like not having a roof stress you out. grin

I have a good friend who went into unexplained natural labour at 31 weeks so I was planning to get all packed and ready by now just in case, but as it stands I am sort of half packed. If I unexpectedly went into labour right now I guess I am just about ready enough for essentials.

I agree the NHS are terrific when they need to be. It's obviously best if babies cook past 37 weeks, but babies born anywhere past mid-20's weeks these days are usually ok. My friend's DD born at 31 weeks is nearly 5 now and is a lovely bright little girl.

HazleNutt Mon 29-Apr-13 19:54:11

there was a stand-up comedian who talked about the NCT antenatal classes and cuts and tears. Went something like that:

The instructor says: "And remember, a tear heals better than a cut!"
The guy looks at his wife, who is a surgeon, who whispers "Yes, that's why we normally ask a bear to do the first incision!"

poor you janey! Good they are keeping an you - is it pre-eclampsia or what?

Cavort Mon 29-Apr-13 21:49:40

Hazle it was Dara O'Briain and is very funny. I would link to the video just as an excuse to watch it again but it appears to have been blocked for copyright on YouTube sad

I almost forgot to boast say, I'm 99% sure I got wolf whistled in the pub on Saturday night shock shock shock I heard it and looked around to see who it was aimed at and there was nobody it could have been other than me. I assume it was A) a piss-take, B) a blind person, C) some weird pregnancy fetishist, but what the hell, in my current walrus-like state I will take what I can get! I obviously looked over and gave him a disapproving glance while trying to stifle a grin.

31 weeks? What, like what I am? Shit. That would be a fairly major disaster here Cavort, it's not even just the lack of nappies, Moses basket or anything like that, it's the lack of a nightie - I really don't want to go into hospital with my bare arse hanging out of one of OH's old t-shirts! Perhaps I should go shopping tomorrow just in case before my relaxed attitude gets me in a pickle!

Cavort Mon 29-Apr-13 22:13:23

Yeah but Purple average gestation for first time mothers is 41+3 so I wouldn't sweat too much, chances of early labour are slim and I am just neurotic. And I assume if you have to deliver early due to complications you will have some notice of this in advance to go out and buy a nightie?

Yep...BUT my knackered liver can cause you to spontaneously go into early labour even before they induce you...I think I'll save myself that one worry and try to find one tomorrow. I'm sure I won't need it yet but best have it just in case, the alternative is just too cringe worthy grin and I'm not nearly neurotic enough these days, these hormones are doing funny things to me, I used to be much more stressy (and more organised)

Cavort Tue 30-Apr-13 08:57:49

My one functioning boob leaked again last night sad I am wondering if it's just a matter of time before I get daytime leakage as well? Breast pads at the ready...

MotherOfCleo Tue 30-Apr-13 10:00:30

Had our 12 week scan yesterday, everything is fine. Munchkin was asleep so I had to jump around to try and wake him up. I may sound mad, but it still doesnt feel quite real somehow. confused Is that odd?

Cavort Tue 30-Apr-13 10:03:27

Awww, that's great news Mother and such a relief smile

It's not odd at all. Personally, it didn't feel real to me until I got a bump and felt some movement, which was towards 20 weeks. Even the sickness didn't make it feel real!

MotherOfCleo Tue 30-Apr-13 10:31:49

Thanks cavort, think I'll be the same. Not envious of the leakage issues you're having.....its such an attractive time for us isnt it. wink

MotherOfCleo Tue 30-Apr-13 10:33:52

Also, we discovered some of our close friends are preggo too, only one week ahead of us! So nice to have them to share it all with. Shes due 2 weeks 4 days before me, even though shes only a week ahead dates wise.....random huh!

HazleNutt Tue 30-Apr-13 10:38:50

Congrats Mother!

Just had 3rd trimester scan here and all is fine. He is still definitely a boy and not a whopper, nicely in the middle of growth chart.

Yay! Glad to hear you had a nice scan Mother. I'm not convinced it will ever feel really real until I'm actually holding a baby so I do get what you mean!

BraveLilBear Tue 30-Apr-13 10:46:17

Great news Mother! Add yourself in... (didn't want to jinx you in advance lol)

HazleNutt 32+4
Cavort 31+6, due 26th June
Purple 31
Janey 30
BraveLilBear, 28+1 due July 22
Mother, 12?
alex 9 weeks, 5 days (prune!!), due 28th Nov

Eek for you Janey that's a bit real. Hope you're ok and are remaining calm in the circumstances!

Had a long night last night, Baby Bear was very quiet yesterday but I put it down to me being mad busy. But even after I got home, sat down, drank cold water, nothing. Had dinner after an unfortunate anxiety-induced pie incident and still nothing so ended up calling the midwives. They said go for somehting really cold and lie down again and call back. Eventually, after an ice lolly with cold water combo and nearly an hour of sitting very quietly, started faint wiggling again.

Finally went to the loo (there had been a lot of cold water drunk) it finally woke up and started kicking properly. Was so relieved. Had been terrified!

What got me was how lovely the midwives were, I kind of thought they'd be a bit eye-rolly but not at all, really put my mind at rest and they said if still on the quiet side this morning to go in for monitoring (could have gone last night but felt ok in the end) and to call back at any time if I get worried again.

Fortunately, Baby Bear is now behaving and back to big movements as usual (rolling around near my pelvis as I type!) - properly scary though!

BraveLilBear Tue 30-Apr-13 10:49:10

Yay to good scan news for Hazle too - <especially the bit about 'not a whopper' lol>

Mother I agree with Cavort bump development and wriggles made it feel more real for me - there's no ignoring it then grin

HazleNutt Tue 30-Apr-13 11:02:30

Oh and forgot to add, mine has turned himself the right way as well (i.e head down). So no elective CS due to breech or transverse.

This thread is not accepting new messages.