Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2013-thread 4- nattering our way through the first trimester

(1000 Posts)
honey86 Mon 01-Apr-13 15:40:50

pow... here goes another wink

harverina Sat 13-Apr-13 09:52:14

Good morning! Had a lovely sleep so am feeling slightly less green and more human today yay! grin

Lots of things are making me dry boak though which is slightly embarrassing at times shock

Fx Suffolk that the bleeding is better or stopped today thanks

Poppy glad that you are getting rl support and of course come back anytime.

Re. Name choices, my family love going through a-z and thinking of names. The other day I mentioned to my mum that I like Amelia and Annabel and she said "I think you have lost the plot"!!! Parents don't hold back do they!! Anyway it's a very personal choice and it prob is best to keep quiet until baby comes along.

MummaPanda Sat 13-Apr-13 10:03:17

I agree, we only told family our name choice for dd, and tbh they weren't too keen, but now they have all said they couldn't imagine her called anything else! Its your choice at the end of the day and people will get used to it

honey86 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:09:38

did anyone hear about the chav who called her baby hashtag? ridiculous blush what would she call her for short? hash? blush

msfan im the same but so far i havent physically puked, ive gagged and had my head over the toilet ready...

i cant think of boy names you know, i like colby but babys dad dont hmm girl- ella isabella smile hell prob disagree on that too hmm

honey86 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:11:35

and morning harv, happy 11 weeks edd buddy smile

harverina Sat 13-Apr-13 10:13:11

Hey honey happy edd!! We are getting closer to that 12 week mark....grin

SpanishLady Sat 13-Apr-13 10:15:10

Amanda Holden went through such heartache that I'd be very sorry to think she had a bad experience here - perhaps it was on one of the more non-children related threads like Aibu it can be very hostile over there. Have had run ins myself where I have wondered if someone actually read or tried to see what I was trying to say!

Am so sorry to hear always and suffolks news - sending all the cyber support I can.

Poppy, I was a little surprised by some people's comments after my MC - very thoughtless and even unkind but glad your Dh is being brilliant.

I'm actually for the first time in weeks not feeling so bad, just slightly nauseous but headaches and real tiredness gone.

Also my mum came round last night and has said she and my dad will be willing to look after the twins for me after my mat leave. It might be too much for them ( my mum is 56) but its a relief they are happy to try as they are fantastic grandparents.

SuffolkNWhat Sat 13-Apr-13 10:15:52

Bleeding has slowed right down thank goodness!

We can't keep out name choices secret as DD is telling everyone what her brother or sister will be called! (Rosie or Reuben)

honey86 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:18:07

i think the name freds do get a little catty hmm

2 weeks til the second trimester!! blush woah!

MummaPanda Sat 13-Apr-13 10:19:00

I think if we have another girl we are going to really struggle with names. But we have a boys name we love.

honey86 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:19:32

glad your bleeding slowing hun fx it stops completely so you can enjoy your pregnancy.. you must be so anxious thanks x

harverina Sat 13-Apr-13 10:28:39

Good news Suffolk here's hoping it will completely stop now. How many weeks are you now?

harverina Sat 13-Apr-13 10:29:39

Spanish think Amanda holden was criticised for going back to work soon after having her baby.

Saundy Sat 13-Apr-13 10:33:32

Always I'm so sorry to see your sad news, I hope you are coping ok and being well looked after, take care. Its so sad to see people go and you are all missed. I'm glad you're getting support Poppy. xx

Sorry to see some of you are still spotting, I hope you're managing not to worry too much and are taking it easy.

Whoa Spanish another set of twins!! & loads of good scan news too so congrats guys. I wonder if anyone has any triplets in the pipeline haha!

Fairy I am normally a sausage/hotdog fiend but feel sick even thinking about them lately, gutted as they were one of lifes pleasures for me. Currently can't get enough of tiger bread, ham, cheesy coleslaw, cherry tom & baby spinach sandwiches - they are sooo hitting the spot right now!

Also have to agree with One & Harv that baby names are a minefield. EVERYONE has an opinion and probably sees it as their duty to try and save a child from what they perceive to be a bad name. I make it clear that when people want to talk about names I'll welcome suggestions but not opinions. Has worked(ish) so far but the more comfortable people get discussing it the more they do forget themselves. It doesn't help that me & DP have completely different taste in names so he sees an opportunity to get people to 'side' with him!!

DP actually made a throw away comment last night that worried me. He said he hopes he bonds with the baby & sometimes it takes people time. That hadn't even occurred to me!! He's been fab all pregnancy & I'm sure will be a natural dad & I'm hoping its a good rather than bad sign he would worry about that but shit imagine if he didn't!!! I tried to get him to talk to the baby last night to help with the process but there's been so much noxious gas coming out of me of late he was too scared to go anywhere near haha.

Sorry for the epic post - its been a little while!

SpanishLady Sat 13-Apr-13 10:42:26

Ah I see, not sure i would criticise a mum about work choices it's surely a personal thing? And also her going back to work is bound to be a lot different to the reality of the usual working mum!

Names.......don't even know where to start!!!!!

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 13-Apr-13 10:50:29

Suffolk excellent name choices! (I have a DS Reuben so may be biased :p). So pleased you're feeling more optimistic about the bleeding now.

Has anybody else Tried learning to drive whilst pg? I just had the lesson from hell. After a week off work in bed so sick, & clearly not 'with it' mentally ATM. The instructor was yelling at me, my heart was pounding and now I feel like I need to sleep for a year to get over it. So demoralising sad

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Sat 13-Apr-13 11:39:37

Hi thinking of always and poppy

suffolk really glad the bleeding has slowed down. Fingers are firmly crossed for you.

Re the whole mumsnet is a nest of vipers thing. I really don't think it's that bad at all. The ttc and antinatal forums are so supportive. AIBU can be somewhat harsh but you shouldn't go there if you're feeling a bit delicate.

Had my scan today and all is well grin. Foetus is measuring 12 weeks 4 days shock. The nuchal fold was only 1.3mm so that was reassuring. Hope we have some more successful scans in the next few days.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Sat 13-Apr-13 11:42:30

Oh boy I meant to say I love the name Reuben, it's a definate maybe if this is a boy.

You should have seem my parents (actually the whole family) reaction when I said I want dds middle name to be Jolene. I had ten people pulling a cats bum face at me all at once.

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 13-Apr-13 11:46:46

Haha you know what the funny thing is...Despite generally going for v 'posh' olde English type girls names, I LOVE the name Jolene. I think because of the song. But DH wouldn't even consider it smile

Reu's name always felt 'right' & I've lived it ever since although it is massively growing in popularity now. Names are sooooo tricky if there's not 1 that you've got your heart set on. Girls are a particular nightmare for us.

SpanishLady Sat 13-Apr-13 12:05:06

Congrats whenshewasbad - excellent news!

TiredFeet Sat 13-Apr-13 12:17:26

Congrats whenshewasbad !
No one is allowed to joke about triplets until I have had a scan!! <panics>
Can't even keep my meds down today, feeling miserable

boy maybe hold off lessons till 2nd trimester when you will hopefully feel more human? I learnt last year so know how tough it is! And if your instructor is yelling at you then please think about getting a new instructor. Mine never yelled at me and I was always making dumb mistakes but he said it was really important to never shout at the student... I tried a decade ago with a shout-y instructor and gave up, thinking I was hopeless.

harverina Sat 13-Apr-13 12:29:55

Yeah Spanish it is very personal and probably very different for celebs than us! I read somewhere that she went back as being a judge on britaibs for talent after 3 weeks but she had her baby with her. Good on her I say - I could barely function and put on anything other than jammies at 3 weeks!!!

Saundy your sandwich sounds absolutely amazing!! I am getting the ingredients for that today minus the spinach - I will replace that with iceberg or rocket mmmmmm!

Suffolk love those names!

Saundy I think bonding for some can take longer but for most is probably instant. Though the new born days are hard so sometimes you just feel like you are in autopilot.

harverina Sat 13-Apr-13 12:31:42

Whenshewas great news!

berrybomb Sat 13-Apr-13 13:11:40

onelittle - how is your spotting today? I think mine has finished now, which is a relief.

Suffolk - glad your bleeding has stopped. It must be such a relief.

On baby names, we have a full name sorted for a boy, but no idea at all for a girl - the only one we've really liked so far is Jessica, but my friend at work who is now 20 weeks loves it and is in her top 3 (...and she's a bit chavvy!!), and we've also seen it was number 4 in 2011, and wanted something less popular.

Saundy - my DP has been talking to my belly already, at night he often has a little chat and tells my tummy about his day. I think it's helping him feel involved.

boymeets - your instructor sounds like a knob! Can you go with someone a little more patient and understanding? Mine never ever yelled at me. I chose to have a lady instructor, after giving up twice with male instructors, she was lovely and very very patient.

Whenshewas - fab news, glad you had a good scan.

I'm just wondering whether I can muster the energy to wander tto town and mooch round the shops. I'm starting to think no!

honey86 Sat 13-Apr-13 13:38:34

glad everythings gravy whenshewasbad smile i like jessica x

honey86 Sat 13-Apr-13 13:39:01

end blush

This thread is not accepting new messages.