Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2013: where we all make it to the 2nd trimester and begin to glow!

(998 Posts)
pinksky Sun 31-Mar-13 18:07:07

Welcome October passengers--all aboard our new thread (is it number four or five?!). Hope everyone is having a lovely Easter and enjoying an egg or three.

Stats thread HERE

Smitten1981 Fri 12-Apr-13 21:19:49

Pink, I wouldn't worry my NT was 2.9 and she said that was well within the normal range, they only start to be more cautious if it's over 3.5mm.

I wouldn't be very happy about being worried unnecessarily by the sonographer. They sound a bit OTT to me!

roofio87 Fri 12-Apr-13 21:35:28

yes roxvox I've had tummy cramps all day. think its more toilet related than baby though!!

PseudoBadger Fri 12-Apr-13 21:38:23

I did yesterday roxvox, nothing today though. Hope you're ok x

Flyer747 Fri 12-Apr-13 21:41:23

Great news Pinkmoomlight chuffed for you. My NT was 2.2mm and the sonographer told me that was well within normal limits...a bit unfair of your sonographer to say that and scare you...

ananikifo Fri 12-Apr-13 21:48:14

I think my scan pic should be visible in my profile now. Please let me know if it's not.

Shootingstarsandcomets Fri 12-Apr-13 22:09:28

Yay for all the great scans and hoorah for a baby boy bronze I'm secretly hoping for another boy too smile
Anyone else find they are quite far by the end of the day?! In the morning you can't see my tummy really but by the evening it's like a massive bump- food bloat obviously but it's only this bad when I'm pregnant it's horrid. Can't wait to have a proper bump.

pinkmoonlight Fri 12-Apr-13 22:24:05

Wickedgirl I am 12 weeks today smile As soon as I got out I googled NT measurements and was a bit confused about what she said- it doesn't seem to be the higher end of normal at all! She said something about it possibly being an indication of a heart defect and just wanted to be sure- don't really see how she got there from that measurement..?

DH says 'all is normal, you can see it on the paperwork, it will be good to have a consultant check our baby, don't worry', which does make sense I guess. Trying not to think about it as she did then make a massive deal about not worrying. At least I know I won't be having her next time!

notsoold Fri 12-Apr-13 23:09:46

Hi everyone!!!!<waves>

Had my 12 week scan today and everything is well. NT 1.4mm but iam aware that once they compute my age it will push higher.

We are relieved as was sure ( such a pessimist) that things were going to be awful like last year....but it was great!!!

Congratulations to the other scanees!!!!

ananikifo Fri 12-Apr-13 23:17:45

Congrats, notsoold!

After a lovely day of seeing my baby, telling everyone, and through that reconnecting with people I don't speak to often, I'm going to bed! smile

Hello all, and a special welcome to the recently joined passengers. I wonder how late our final joinee will be?

I've not been around for ages, so...

Really sad to hear your news Rockchick, I hope you are back on a bus as soon as you want to be. Also wishing you well Mon and Soupqueen for what lies ahead.

On numerous fronts: our (male - that was a surprise!) sonographer was lovely, efficient but very friendly and let us hear the heartbeat when we asked. I definitely have a bump, but also have put on weight too - but far more on my tum than my bum (unusual for me). I'm hoping for a home birth and a waterbirth, and will be going for hypnobirthing stuff as well I think. I'm SURE its a boy and will definitely be finding out - I love anticipating ahead (I'd love a girl too - bit anxious about only ever having sons, even tho this is my first).

Hope you all have lovely weekend plans x x

Wickedgirl Sat 13-Apr-13 06:46:43

pinkmoonlight I had the same measurement as you and have been told the same thing as you. Fingers crossed that it all turns out to be nothing to worry about about!

legallyblond Sat 13-Apr-13 07:33:24

I really would have thought that 2.2 is relatively normal - tbh though, it's good to have a consultant in the scan next time... I guess for a more detailed cardio scan (private hospitals offer this anyway). I believe they only start to worry here (everywhere seems to apply different rules) if NT is 3mm+ and/or risk is 1/200+...

HotSoupDumpling Sat 13-Apr-13 07:55:56

Shootingstars, I'm the same - slight tummy in the morning, massive bloaty pregnancy bump by the evening!

Pink, since it is not a particulalrly high measurement AND your Combined test results were fine, your sonograoher sounds like she was talking out of her bum. Luckily, as your husband points out, there is only an upside, I.e. a consultant at your next scan!

I've only heard the heartbeat twice, once at the private early scan, and once at the experimental scan they did to test blood flow to the placenta for a pre-eclampsia research study. We didn't get to hear it at the normal 12 week scan.

Shirehobbit Sat 13-Apr-13 08:23:07

Thank you for the welcome, everyone smile

Our scan was ten days ago and I cannot tell you how apprehensive and worried we were. The totally lack of concern by the sonographer and midwife was oddly reassuring - everything is, so far, boringly normal.

I am definitely looking very pudgy now, and it is very much worse in the evenings.

We're thinking about a home birth - what thoughts have you all had?

ananikifo Sat 13-Apr-13 08:49:24

I do think I like the idea if a home birth, but I will wait for my second. I'm a nervous about the whole thing and I would want to see how it goes the first time.

pinksky Sat 13-Apr-13 09:03:45

Congratulations notsoold, Pink, Ananikifo and Bronze, so lovely to hear more scan news smile and so nice for those of you who have heard a heartbeat.

Panacotta and Shirehobbit, I'm planning a home birth and I think a few others are too--there is a thread on pregnancy for sept or oct planned/maybe homebirths. Shire, what is your area like for homebirths?

Welcome hobbit and congrats ananikifo and notsoold.
I have a little bump all the time now but yes it is definitely much bigger in the evening. Bloating and slowed digestion to blame I think.
I've had a really sore bum cheek the last couple of days. Hoping it isn't the start of dodgy hips. sad
Got the in laws to stay this weekend so got to finish tidying up now.

pinksky Sat 13-Apr-13 09:12:52

Orange have you got any tips for the bloating/digestion? Mine is awful, and I'm trying the usual things like drinking lots of water, eating high fibre...

Enjoy the in laws! I'm off to help at a kids club, going to need a nap after that I think...

Pink lots of small meals are meant to help. But I am tending to have lots of small snacks AND my usual sized meals too confused so not getting that quite right am I!
My only tip is not to try and hold farts in blush my husband just has to deal with it because it makes me much more comfortable to let it out! Ah how glamorous. Sinking to new lows all the time.

Shirehobbit Sat 13-Apr-13 09:33:50

Hi Pinksky smile
I think my area is pretty supportive of home births, and my early dealings with the midwives has been positive. We're only ten minutes away from the hospital too.
I shall hunt down that other thread, thanks.
Enjoy kids club (and the nap!)

Shire if you click where I wrote new thread it links directly to it. (Or should do at least!)

Shirehobbit Sat 13-Apr-13 09:53:18

Thanks [OrangeBlossom] - I was busy trawling through searches to find it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now