Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013 Part 8: Welcoming our Easter Chicks & as Alex & Evan hopefully go home!

(995 Posts)
toobreathless Sun 24-Mar-13 13:15:05

Over here Ladies!

I hope you don't mind me starting this thread too.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1689714-April-2013-Part-7-As-our-miracle-Alex-continues-to-grow-the-one-that-sees-us-reach-TERM

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1560543-April-2013-stats-thread

Wonderful news for today as we welcome babycandy and little Charlotte and hoping that this thread sees little Alex and Evan home very soon.

How many more babies will this thread see?

JaquelineHyde Sun 31-Mar-13 16:20:58

Yes I was swabbed as she could see lots of discharge, it was really uncomfortable but the midwife was lovely about it. The worst bit for me was when she tried to re-angle the speclum to get a view of the neck of the womb, she really had a good shove about. Nothing to see though apparently.

Last night I was a bit stingy up inside, like cystitis pain but on my cervix confused but today's pain is all period pain/dull ache in my abdomen and back. I suspect this will be the norm for the next few weeks for me until it all ramps up for the kick off grin

Ollibobs Sun 31-Mar-13 16:27:52

magic I think your concerns over bonding with your baby are completely normal for someone who has TTC for so long, then gone through ICSI. We struggled for 2.5 years before getting pregnant with ICSI, but I think all the disappointments that led up to that success can make one naturally be a bit distant or hesitant to get one's hopes up in case it doesn't work out. It's hard to shut that off once you fall pregnant, and many women feel worried to get overly attached "just in case" - often without even realising it.
I couldn't bring myself to buy anything until I was nearly 25 weeks pregnant as I was so afraid something might go wrong.
I don't think it means you are going to be a bad mother at all, you might just be a woman who might be afraid to let go and embrace it as deep down you are worried its "too good to be true".
Just let yourself work through your feelings without any added guilt. When you hold your baby in your arms you will likely feel differently. If not, time will help. And if time goes on and you are struggling, there is a lot of help available.
Don't put any pressure in yourself right now. As my father always says: "Worry is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere."
Easier said than done, I know, but just wanted you to know your feelings are normal.

aufaniae Sun 31-Mar-13 18:05:16

Jaqueline thanks, it's reassuring to know that standard monitoring is used with Propess (which is what our hospital uses AFAIK), I didn't know that. I'm starting to realise there's a lot I don't know, feeling quite unprepared!
Hope you feel better soon. Not being able to eat chocolate isn't on!

magictorch it could be worth asking what kind of pessary they use for induction. According to the woman who ran our NCT group, my hospital has just started using Propess after a nearby hospital has been using it successfully for a year. Propess is more effective at kicking labour off than the old pessary they used, so you'd be less likely to have to go on to the next stage of induction (Syntocinon). I think it's fairly new though so not all hospitals using it. I don't know that much about it though so worth further research if it's of interest.

aufaniae Sun 31-Mar-13 18:06:37

p.s. 11 days to go!

JaquelineHyde Sun 31-Mar-13 18:22:10

I think I just lost my mucus plug or at least part of it.

The colour drained out of DH's face when I showed it to him grin I quickly re-assured him that it could still be weeks before labour starts and that this was probably dislodged by the internal.

Made my Easter though seeing his face grin grin

num3onway Sun 31-Mar-13 18:26:23

Urggh
Jealous
I actually felt unsure about my due date yday and checked I had got it right!nothing is happening!

bext Sun 31-Mar-13 19:11:05

Hello everyone,
Hope you've all had a relaxing Easter day. I have been kicked a lot by LO but DH and FiL managed to build the cot so we're getting sorted.

I was going to update the Facebook list while I sit here and munch some chocolate egg. I've lost track of a few bits of info though:
- candy what is your DD called?
-bunny what is your DD called and how much did she weigh?

If anyone else spotted those on the posts then let me know - I'm blaming baby brain!

toobreathless Sun 31-Mar-13 23:12:05

Wonderful to see an Easter chick has hatched on fb grin grin grin

In terms of continuous monitoring (& induction) and being 'on your back' my understanding is that most women end up strapped down on their back because:
* unless you can have mobile monitoring (not offered by all hospitals) you are attached to a machine on a fairly short lease plus also likely to have a drip etc so hard to move.
* it can be harder to monitor baby with you moving around, absolutely not impossible but straps may slip/need re adjusting so yes it is probably easier for MWs to have you on your back or for a more inexperienced MW.
* you are more likely if induced and on a drip to have an epidural which again unless it's a mobile (walking) one tends to mean you can't move your legs and therefore will be on the bed.

But I can't see any medical reason why needing continuous monitoring means you have to give birth or labour in this position and with the right care you should be able to be somewhat mobile- on ball, changing position on bed, standing, rocking. Does this make any sense? I do think as aufaniae says you need the right MW and a supportive birthing partner who knows exactly what you want and is happy to try and avoid tangles with wires etc.

Just a quick question from me, the right hand side of my back is very tender and sore, it feels like I have been kicked very hard, repeatedly.... It hurts when I turn over in bed etc to the point if being quite painful. It doesn't feel pregnancy related, more like I have a back injury sad I would normally take nurofen for something like this but obviously you can't. Just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar?

36 plus 1

Fluffeh Mon 01-Apr-13 07:38:25

Heck I've missed so many posts I'll never catch up!

I woke up at stupid o'clock yesterday morning with period style pains and lost my plug around 7am. In a blind panic I woke my DP and made him check it haha.
We had really nice plans for an Easter Day out at a local event with birds of prey displays but I didn't want to go anywhere just in case my waters went and I looked like I'd wet myself. So we stayed home all day and a big fat nothing happened sad.
Woke at 3am today with period style pains again but they've eased to nothing now.
I'm really hoping it kicks off soon as I can't concentrate on anything, all I can't think about is meeting our baby smile.

Mama1980 Mon 01-Apr-13 08:42:53

Morning all, wow so many posts I can't keep up! Well its the 1 st if April - Alex's due date finally smile 4 months old today! We are all doing great had a lovely relaxing day yesterday with cuddles and chocolate. We are off to the hospital tomorrow for us both to have a check up, but fingers crossed I think we're all good. smile
Thinking of everyone and can't wait to read about more arrivals! X

JaquelineHyde Mon 01-Apr-13 10:52:25

Fluffeh I had a show yesterday as well after hours of period pains. Nothing since.

I'm trying not to think about it as it could still be weeks before anything starts.

I wouldn't cancel any more days out/plans as the more active you are the more likely you are to start something off. Carry on regardless and you shall soon be saying hello to your new arrival smile

Mama 4 months old on his due day, brilliant! grin

We have family over today for an Easter egg hunt, games and a buffet lunch we have organised. Can't wait as my Mum will be bringing the gorgeous Felicity over for cuddles grin

num3onway Mon 01-Apr-13 11:01:06

Well I spent a lot of last night looking at induction stories online as I have now convinced myself that I won't pop by Friday and will go over and have to be induced. I really do not want an epidural as it means no 6 hour discharge. I also don't want to be tied to the bed. Really hope baby puts in an appearence soon!
Gonna try and be as active as possible this week, I suffer from SPd so once I finished work due to the spd at 29 weeks I have rested and done as little as possible. I am now wondering if this is why I have no baby yet! Have I taken it too easy?
If one more person tells me this baby isn't early like my boys were because she's a girl I'm going to explode.

39+3

DannyBoy10 Mon 01-Apr-13 15:08:30

Hi. Just wanted to say hello and ask if I can (very belatedly) join the thread? I'm expecting DC2 on 18th April and have a 2yo DS.

I had obstetric cholestasis in my last pregnancy, which developed at 37/38 weeks so am on tenderhooks at the moment waiting to see if the itching will start again this time round, but so far so good smile!

Congratulations to all the mums whose bubs have already arrived, and especially to those who had difficult starts in special care etc.

37+4

Trishstar Mon 01-Apr-13 15:17:48

Hi ladies!

First chance I've had to update you all properly

Weird first night alone in hospital with Hunter esp since Daddy had to go home and leave us. He wasn't latching properly either so this morning after his blood sugar was very low they whisked him off to SCBU.

They got his blood sugar to normal range and it's really good now as he's being tube fed. But they need to check his bloods for a possible infection in his cord. So he may need antibiotics and have to stop in longer. hmm

They are impressed with the amount of colostrum I'm hand expressing so we might have a go at properly expressing later. I'm not giving up on the Bf! Will keep soldiering on!

Going to add another pic of him from SCBU today on the fb group.

Xxx

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 01-Apr-13 15:30:29

Hi Danny, never too late! I hope you can get through without the OC this time!

Trish he's such a cutie (seen the pics in the other place). I hope he recovers from all this quickly. Well done for persevering with the breast feeding!

My nesting continues. I've been to Poundstretcher and bought some storage stuff and got a bit more organised. I've also bought tupperwears and DH has tidied the garage ready for a new freezer so I can get my batch cooking sorted this week.

I have been a bit nervy with the changes in movement so I rang the ante-natal assessment unit. The MW reassured me that I'm getting enough kicks and that the changes in enthusiasm for the kicks is an indication that baby has probably started to engage! Glad I called though.

Teapig Mon 01-Apr-13 17:46:19

Trish, huge congratulations. Hunter is gorgeous! Good luck with the BF, sounds really good that you're expressing so much colostrum.

Hope you and your little Easter chic are home very soon smile

Rivergirly Mon 01-Apr-13 19:38:22

Hi all had a lovely sunny day here today and I have been very active - hoping it gets lo moving - mega spring clean even tidied garden and cleaned windows and French doors inside and out!!! At this rate I will run out of things to clean.

Num3 - where we are you can still have a 6 hour discharge after an epidural - I know defo did with ds2 - first time round I stayed in as everyone said to stay in the hospital and get some rest but hospitals and peace and quiet do not come hand in hand!!! Second time round I insisted on leaving as soon as possible!! And the plan is to do the same again this time.

trish congrats and I love his name

num3onway Mon 01-Apr-13 20:22:48

Thsts good to know river! I was basing it on things I read online about having to have a catheter if you have an epidural and that meaning at least a 12 hour stay?

Trishstar Mon 01-Apr-13 21:10:36

Thanks girlies xxx

Just trying to sort BF out and we will be well away xxx

Rivergirly Mon 01-Apr-13 21:51:16

Num3 - i did have a catheter each time and still left after 6 hours with ds2 - was planning on doing the same again this time too!!

itsaruddygame Mon 01-Apr-13 22:58:37

Hope Hunter is home in no time Trish.

Magic - I had to be continuously monitored (although not induced) but my midwife was great and supported me in being as active as possible. I was somewhat constrained by the length of the leads on the monitoring equipment but was able to stay on my birthing ball next to the machine until crowning at which point rather ball got uncomfortable v quickly!! I was in the bed for the birth but it was very snazzy and supported me in an upright position akin to a birthing stool ( even had a half moon shape seat shape for you to sit on when the back was up). Tried all fours as well but got tired quite quick like that. Having said that the bed was very state of the at and don't know how many hospitals would have one that good.

I hope you can have a birth like mine that whilst not your first choice still goes well!

toobreathless Tue 02-Apr-13 00:09:49

Happy April Ladies! Here come our babies grin

We move today & it is hitting me that I am in fact 39 + 4 and this baby is due on FRIDAY shock think I have been do distracted by the house move it hasn't really seemed real.

I have a quite an extensive 'to do' list though so the baby can come next week maybe (listening in there? grin )

trisha huge congratulations! Hope Hunter is put of SCBU soon & you are not too sore from the EMCS?

Danny welcome!

Must try & get some sleep before I set off with two cats & a toddler in tow. Luckily it's only 2.5 hrs, not anticipating the most peaceful journey! Unfortunately DH also has to drive as we have 2 cars.

Trishstar Tue 02-Apr-13 00:48:37

Thanks TB and ruddy.

Not quite as sore as I thought I'd be! Just took the advice to have all my available pain meds after the section instead of trying to be brave! Obviously it was an emergency c section so no time to prepare but I had previously anticipated a section to be much worse than it actually was.

Just surprised how quick it all happened from start to finish! xx

Can't get to sleep even tho I need to! Might just wonder up to Hunter in a bit! Xxx

Trishstar Tue 02-Apr-13 05:01:51

Got woken at 3am to go to Hunter in SCBU x he tried to feed again and then just wanted mummy cuddles bless him. Only just got back into bed.

Oh well only 5 hours til Daddy is allowed back x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now