Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013 Part 8: Welcoming our Easter Chicks & as Alex & Evan hopefully go home!

(995 Posts)
toobreathless Sun 24-Mar-13 13:15:05

Over here Ladies!

I hope you don't mind me starting this thread too.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1689714-April-2013-Part-7-As-our-miracle-Alex-continues-to-grow-the-one-that-sees-us-reach-TERM

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1560543-April-2013-stats-thread

Wonderful news for today as we welcome babycandy and little Charlotte and hoping that this thread sees little Alex and Evan home very soon.

How many more babies will this thread see?

EmpressMatilda Sun 24-Mar-13 20:21:11

Marking my spot. No idea whether baby will arrive on this thread or not. Have given up trying to predict! Glad you mentioned April Fool's baby Jaq as it's something I have become weirdly bothered about!

MiL is coming to stay that day as well so hoping baby is either already here or not yet ready on that day. Would hate to be in labour when she's here.

For those asking I am drinking raspberry leaf tea, two cups a day. Will let you know in due course whether it makes any difference to the labour.

No snow here at all though all-out friends and family seem to be stranded at home by it. If baby comes now he won't be getting visitors for a while!

38+2

Mama1980 Sun 24-Mar-13 21:03:34

Hi
Feeling very emotional tonight, and shaky. My brother bought me in some lovely photos that were taken of Alex days after he was born, he's made them black and white-I prefer my photos that way- and popped them in a beautiful album. I promptly burst Ito tears and sobbed. I was just not ready to go back there again.
My dd also left a suit, outer suit and snow suit in case we can go tomorrow. My boy could get to see the sun, breathe fresh air. All these drs have kept him alive worked so hard and now there's just me.

Dysgu - Sounds like you're gonna have our hands full with Evan! smile

Sorry for the me me me but there's no one else to 'talk' to x

Dysgu Sun 24-Mar-13 21:46:49

oh Mama I know - the whole thing must be really emotional right now and there is still the knowledge that they can say Alex needs to stay in for a bit longer tomorrow if the weigh-in doesn't go the right way. I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you that Alex gets the green light and heads outside tomorrow...but yes, it must be a scary feeling that you don't get to take the doctors and their monitors home with you.

I remember (vividly) the feeling of panic when I was told that we could take DD1 home - and she had only been in NICU for a month, so nowhere near what you and Alex have been through. She had had an MRI scan so was unconscious, which I was expecting, but then they told us that she would be getting the all clear during the day to come home. I dashed straight back out of the unit and called DP (who was running a class in Winchester) and saying, "They say we can bring DD1 home. Do we want to?" smile

Then with DD2 they were going to send her home on New Year's Day so I roomed in over New Year's Eve - and then the weigh-in went the wring day and she had to stay another 3 days until her weight had gone up enough.

And as for looking for photos... it was a lovely idea by your Dbro but I can see why you need to be really focused on Alex as he is now and not recalling all you went through in the very early days. I imagine you will get to that stage - perhaps when he waves cheerily as he goes into school perhaps?

You obviously know though that they would not be sending Alex home unless he was more than ready and that he really no longer needed any one but you taking care of him. I think perhaps taking a tiny baby home - even one who is so much bigger than he was - is still especially daunting and when you have had (and needed) so much assistance and help so far it is extra scary too. I think also the fact that parents of NICU/SCBU babies get the time to contemplate taking DC home makes it more scary - I imagine (but have never been through it so is only my opinion) that taking a newborn baby home is daunting but you must be so wrapped up in the whole birth/going home scenario that it all runs into one...

Sorry for all my waffle (especially to those of you with babies at home and those yet to meet their babies) but really Mama you will do a great job at home with Alex as you have done a great job in hospital getting him ready to go home. (unmumsnetty (((((hugs)))))

Rivergirly Sun 24-Mar-13 22:33:37

Evening

Congrats to the new arrivals!!

Finally on maternity leave now and even begun packing hospital bag but still find it unbelievable that in the next month baby no 3 will be here.

37 + 3

birdbrain17 Sun 24-Mar-13 23:12:32

just marking my place on the new thread smile

Giddypants Sun 24-Mar-13 23:25:54

Lovely words dysgu x
Lots of love to you mama xxxx

Fluffeh Mon 25-Mar-13 08:11:32

Echoing giddy, really lovely post dsygu.
mama good luck today! I hope his weight is good and he gets his first taste of fresh air and family life smile.

I think I'm losing my plug - should I worry? The bh's are rather intense but I wouldn't say painful just kinda breath taking. I have a mw visit today so will run it by her this afternoon. I just hope nothing is starting because the snow is falling again and I don't fancy travelling anywhere in it.

Teapig Mon 25-Mar-13 08:42:24

Thanks for the new thread toobreathless, just popping in to mark my place.

Big congrats to the new mummies and tea and sympathy to everyone with discomfort in the final stages. I've been very lucky to be feeling well so far got a horrible feeling labour will be pay back time!

Teapig Mon 25-Mar-13 08:57:12

trish, re tax stuff I am no expert but think you need a form to claim child benefit which you get in hospital bounty pack or can download online. You need baby's birth certificate and then you can claim.

I googled family tax credits and there's an online form you can fill in to check for eligibility. I started to fill it in but there were questions about childcare arrangements and earnings so it seems like something I'll need to revisit when I'm clearer about those things.

I`m sure others with dcs already will have better advice but that's what I found through google.

SneezySnatcher Mon 25-Mar-13 09:15:02

Dreadful night's sleep last night. Was having loads of BH and just could not get comfy. It's so strange wishing pain on myself but I kept thinking I'd rather they hurt because at least they'd be doing something!

38+2

Trishstar Mon 25-Mar-13 09:34:15

Thanks Tea xxxx

Positive vibes for Alex today!!! Xx

Flosshilde Mon 25-Mar-13 09:45:50

Marking my place.

All I've been doing is feeding and cuddling since we got home. Xavier now a whole 6 days old. grin DH being a star, Ds1 veering from lovely to vile.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 25-Mar-13 10:31:09

Ah I lost you all! At least I didn't miss any baby births!

Hooray, first official day of leave smile still in my jammies watching Homes under the hammer!

jacq how strange re your sister - I'd just be saying Get this baby out of me! I hope she goes into labour soon.

Mama I can't imagine how strange things seem for you. I was in hospital for 9 days last year and coming home then was odd enough. But the others are right - they wouldn't be discharging Alex if he wasn't ready. You are already an awesome Mum. You have your family and your kids sound fantastic! You'll be great smile

KatyT86 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:46:21

Love hearing about all the new bambinos! It's a very exciting time for all of us!!! mama you and baby alex will be in my thoughts today. Positive vibes! Think dsygu says it perfectly!

I am awaiting phone call from hospital with a time of induction tomorrow. Absolutely terrified! Can't believe it's nearly time to get our little man out!

angeltattoo Mon 25-Mar-13 10:55:36

Congrats to the latest mummies! Lovely news grin

Thanks for the new thread toobreathless

Enjoying Mat leave here, think we are as ready as we'll ever be so now we're just waiting!!!

New thread, woohooo! Think I only managed 2 or 3 posts on the last one. Must try harder.

Huge congrats for the new arrivals grin I feel this thread will be seeing a LOT more. Although not mine. Feels like forever away yet.

Fluff I hate to point this out but having a show and very uncomfortable bh = start of labour wink sounds very like how my last labour started. Good luck if it is!

I am quite done with this whole pregnancy malarkey now. I'm not sleeping. If I lay on my left my hips hurt, if I lay on my right I get serious heartburn and feels like I'm going to be sick and if I lay on my back slightly propped up then my back is agony as I have a trapped nerve. So with the SPD, sore ribs, bad back and not being able to breathe thanks to little munchkin sitting as high as he can I can honestly say I can't wait for the pains to start!

Dp is so sick of me walking around saying ow ow ow ow and looking like a little old lady that I've given up telling him it hurts. Ill just moan here instead wink

Almost ready now. Got last labour bag bits at the weekend so that's sorted at last. Just need to get to a Mamas & Papas for the changing mat and crib mattress and I'm done.

Have next mw appointment next week but might nip in before that as my hands and feet have been swelling up on and off the last few nights but today it happened as soon as I got up. Had a headache almost everyday too so just want to check its not the start of something.

Right I have a house to finish rearranging, I'm in process of swapping all the kids rooms around and decorating. Currently have plasterers upstairs doing one room. Hope it's all finished before DDay! Really ought to stop leaving things until the last minute.

36+4

jj247 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:27:57

ooh good luck mama, I agree that i think dysgu summed it up perfectly, but you are completely in my thoughts today. Hope Alex and you make it home, must be extra daunting leaving your daily physio behind too, but sounds like you have a super supportive family behind you who will provide you with all the support you both need xx

Congrats to all the new mummies out there, super exciting hearing all the news and lovely to see photos on facebook. It is all becomingquite real, although must admit I'm still in denial a bit... so much to do before bean arrives and I still somehow haven't quite accepted I am having a baby (very much thought I'd missed the boat at 41 and keep expecting to wake up and find out none of it is real, or something goes wrong at the last minute... so scared to visualise myself finally holding my little one).

bext with you on fearing I'll be the "last man standing" in this group, have a suspicion that little bean will hang on into May!

notshort I completely empathise with feeling in pain and knackered. I had just been telling peeps last week how lucky I've been through this pregnancy, just heartburn really, then yesterday got in/out of the car and was in agony with my pelvis. Now I can't walk, get in/out of chair, stand etc. without being in agony. Last night I couldn't sleep on my left because of my pelvis, my right leg was sore where i'd done a bad job of injecting my fragmin and my acid reflux was stopping me lying on my back, even with a chunk of pillows. Then the BHs kicked in, so i kept getting up and pottering round the bed just to try and ease them, but that hurt my pelvis again! Fed up of the snow/ice too, live on top of a hill and no way i can manouvre myself up/down it without assistance from DP as super icy, which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to abandon car at the bottom and walk up as it isn't safe to drive up. when is spring arriving? sad
oh and builders still on with kitchen, so still have no cooker/electrics/washing machine plumbed in and house covered in thick layer of dust, as well as contents of kitchen distributed throughout. praying they will get done this week so we can get the floor laid, the house cleaned, the walls painted and tiles and somehow catch up on the washing (the few bits I had washed for the baby now need rewashing because of the dust). also frustrated as I can't do "my share" helping paint the skirting boards, shift all the kitchen stuff back in again etc.. So need no more snow or builders will continue to use that as an excuse as to why the job hasn't been completed. angry

Sorry for mememe rant... maybe a good thing if bean stays inside for a while, at least until the kitchen/house is sorted! grin

Still got 3 weeks left to work too... maybe was being a tad ambitious...

36+0

jj247 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:29:28

oh and jacq really hope your sister's baby arrives soon and, despite all the issues with your sister, is safe and well, so you can focus on your pregnancy and baby without having to worry x

jj247 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:30:28

katy good luck for tomorrow!!!

Rivergirly Mon 25-Mar-13 13:52:13

Trishstar to claim tax credits for the first time i think you just need to ring them up and they will send you forms to fill in but like child benefit they will need the baby's birth certificate - have a feeling both child benefit and tax credit have to see the original as well do can only do one claim at a time but both will back date if you claim within 3 months.

Really enjoying my first day of maternity leave - been to story cafe at school with ds2, blood tests and shopping - so nice not to have to dash around after school run and fit everything in but am lacking on the housework front!! Sat down at lunchtime with loose women on tv and then fell asleep!!! Ooopps!!! But got an hour or so til school run so I may get something done before the boys are home plus have dsd for dinner tonight so I do need to make the house half way to tidy!!

I'm with everyone else and that scary thought of being the last/not having the baby til May!

Good luck tomorrow Katy

num3onway Mon 25-Mar-13 14:32:56

Afternoon all
Any news on new arrivals?
Well after dtd this morning I've had a lot of uncomfortable pressure on pelvic bone and some period pains, although this also happened last week. Trying to stay on my feet in the hope it encourages something!
I've never had a show or had my waters break before being well on my way in the hospital so I'm not expecting that but some contractions would be nice lol.
Hope your all well and fingers crossed for Alex making his way home

38+3

Giddypants Mon 25-Mar-13 15:02:28

Oh fluffeh how are you getting on, sounds like early labour!

We're all set for tomorrow eek, this time tomorrow (all being well) we'll have another DS! All getting very real now. Just need to get the section out of the way nowgrin
Getting very nervous now!

39+2

KelleStar Mon 25-Mar-13 15:20:54

Oh giddy, that is quite exciting smile hope all goes well. And you too Katy.

I'm just back from MW check up. Weighed me for the first time since booking in and I've lost 2kgs, which is the same as with DD. baby is fully engaged in my pelvis. And a slight trace of sugar in my urine, but nothing to worry about. MW seemed confident things would kick off soon. Been having lots of cervical discomfort, cramps all night. My waters had to be ARM with DD.

Watching Dr Ranj with DD, he's starting to look attractive. She lives him!

toobreathless Mon 25-Mar-13 15:27:44

giddy how exciting! Good luck for tomorrow. Lovely to think there will be at least one arrival tomorrow (& maybe two if Katy's induction goes swiftly!)

Great weight likecandy DD was 8 lb 8 two weeks late, probably a good thing she was born at 38 weeks! Hope you are enjoying newborn snuggles & not too sore?

Mama I'm not very good with words and Dysgu says it perfectly above but just know we are thinking of you today.

Jj sounds hectic! We are also living in chaos prior to our move on April 2nd at 39 + 4. I ham making a conscious effort to relax and not get wound up about things beyond my control, easier said than some as I am usually a bit of a control freak smile

Can I admit to being a teeny bit jealous of you first time mums getting to relax?? Enjoy it! Pregnancy with a toddler/older children is such hard work. Hats off to those with more than one, the thought brings me out in a cold sweat! Just realised that makes me sound like I pregnant WITH A TODDLER! I'm not grin although I feel like it at times!

We have been swimming this morning. I was on heightened poo alert after your incident kellestar! we also heard this morning that DHs going away dates have been out back to August. Not sure how I feel about this, glad he will be around until this baby is 3-4 months but it does mean he will be away for Xmas. Not the end of the world- he missed DD1s first Xmas too (in Afghanistan) He will however now be around for potty training DD1 smile

38 + 3

Trishstar Mon 25-Mar-13 15:41:10

Thanks river! Will get as prepped as I can before little man arrives

Just had MW appt. little man is still on the brim. Otherwise everything all good, growing well strong HB etc xx

I think I will go over despite all the twinges and pains etc!

Good luck for tomorrow giddy xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now