Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013: scans and starting to show!

(998 Posts)
Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 09:08:36

Will this one take us through to the end of the first trimester? Will the sickness ever end? Will we be able to judge genders from those first scan pictures? These and many other mysteries to be solved in... THREAD 4

Maybe I should point out that though I don't have showers I do have baths.

Sanjifair Mon 25-Mar-13 19:30:34

I was going to tell my boss today as my booking in appointment is on Wednesday (11+3 today) and wanted to clear the time off without having to tell porkies. But he was off sick. Maybe tomorrow! Otherwise I'll just send an email saying I have a doctors appointment on Weds morning.
My scan is on April 4th. Do I have any scan buddies?

Sanjifair Mon 25-Mar-13 19:32:04

Oops cross post. I would see your midwife or the docs MoN. It could just be low blood pressure?

My blood pressure does tend to be on the low side anyway and I had frequent fainting attacks as a child but doctors don't seem to care as long as it's not high.

roxvox Mon 25-Mar-13 19:37:05

Fantastic news jethro!

Welcome Francesca and congratulations! Have you been lurking for long or have you only just found us?

MoN I seem to get breathless and can feel my heart pounding after walking up the stairs. Also get light headed if I spend too long on my feet, but generally don't have too much of a problem if I keep on top of eating.

Re preparing myself for the worst, I am the same. Whenever DH and I talk about our impending scan we always start with "all being well...". I spend half my time trying to convince myself that there's nothing in there, envisaging the nurse saying that it's just a blighted ovum or a MMC... Then if everything is hunky dory I can be surprised as well as happy!

I have being eating though maybe I've had a bit too much sugar. I broke into the easter chocolate stash.

Haylebop12 Mon 25-Mar-13 19:46:52

MoN I get breathless too but wouldn't have thought I'm anaemic? I thought it was just a pg thing. I too get breathless just walking up stairs!

Incredibly nauseas here again today but I'm coping. DH working late so cooked me and dd a nice tea now she's in bed I'm watching sex and the city 2. Hehe!

I think I may post a pic, my tummy is huge, and firm hmm need to see of I'm alone or some if your are bursting out!

Haylebop12 Mon 25-Mar-13 19:48:10

God I hate predictive text! Hope yous understood that?!

Sanjifair Mon 25-Mar-13 19:52:48

MoN I have quite low blood pressure too, which doesn't normally affect me but with my first pregnancy I has quite a few fainting fits. That was in second and third trimesters though. I found eating small snacks regularly helped a lot.

Rockchick1984 Mon 25-Mar-13 19:53:34

How many weeks are you Hayle? My lower tummy is huge, its definitely baby not fat as I've not gained anything in the last 5 weeks but its definitely growing!

MON I've been getting super dizzy lately, had it last time around this stage and Dr said combination of low blood pressure and hormones, and eating little and often should help.

ananikifo Mon 25-Mar-13 20:00:17

I've been dizzy too. For me it's worst in bed when I roll over.

I've decided to apply for a new job and I can't decide if I'm crazy to do it or if I'd be crazy not to. It's internal within the department where I work now, so doesn't affect my length if service (and therefore maternity benefits). All my pregnancy symptoms are worse when I'm stressed out and DH is worried but I just feel I can't let this opportunity pass.

Haylebop12 Mon 25-Mar-13 20:04:40

rockchick I'm 11+1. This is dc2 mind so I'm guessing my stomach is already used to the shape iyswim? Also I'm not as active or toned as my pg with dd. I could still wear normal clothes over 20wks with dd!

Thankyou everyone for your replies. It looks like I've got a good excuse to eat more then. I'm off to make some cheese on toast.

MrsZzz Mon 25-Mar-13 20:19:34

Hi all

Had my scan this morning and all fine- it was really quick actually 'there's baby, all looks as it should, want a pic? Book your 20 week scan on the way out'
(Refused the nuchal tests)

At least baby seems well behaved smile

Congrats to others with scans today and good luck those with scans tomorrow

roxvox Mon 25-Mar-13 20:29:35

Congratulations MrsZzz! That's my dream scan scenario I think smile

Haylebop this is DC1 for me but my stomach is also starting to stick out. It's quite muscly to touch, and like you I haven't put any weight on so it must be due to the little bean in my tummy!

Sal1977 good luck tomorrow. What time is your scan?

roxvox Mon 25-Mar-13 21:37:05

I've just had a sudden panic realisation that I have never actually held a baby! The youngest child I can ever remember holding was about 4 years old! Needless to say, I will be the first of my friends/family to have a baby. DH has a niece, but I didn't start dating DH until his niece was about 3 didn't meet her until she was at least 4 (his brother lives on the other side of the country).

I'll wait until after the scan, and all being well, I'll then focus my panic on the nuchal scan results, and then following that I will start my panicking about how to hold a baby.

Tarlia Mon 25-Mar-13 21:43:56

Congratulations on the lovely scan news!
When is your 20 scan then, mrszzzz ??

Hayle Yup, Getting a baby yum here too which looks much worse in my maternity jeans. I've not told anyone and last time I saw my friends I wore a tummy baggy dress, I keep thinking if I bump into anyone jaws will drop. 12 weeks, last time I was 16 before I looked like I'd eaten too many cakes!

Nat I'm a scan buddy! Mine is at 1.30 smile

MoN Get yourself a slow cooker and join some facebook groups, it is a life saver. I really didn't realise you could cook so much in it! I've even cooked whole chickens in it on chopped carrots and potatoes. Lots of chopping but no heat or standing around. Pssst, you can make the most gorgeous rice pudding in it wink I got a huge 6.5ltr one for £25ish
No idea re dizzy spells/breathlessness but def worth at least a call to dr/MW.

Tarlia Mon 25-Mar-13 21:44:56

Grrr damn iPhone, hope the predictive text hasn't made it too illegible!

Tarlia Mon 25-Mar-13 21:50:23

Rox if it's any help, nobody remembers how to hold a baby and is all fingers and thumbs the first few times with each new baby as you learn their strength and need. My DS was teeny to me, I'd never held a baby so small but before you know it holding your own is second nature, and everyone else looks so silly juggling them around trying to do it 'right'.
You'll be fine, something just clicks and it's second nature.

roxvox Mon 25-Mar-13 22:04:17

Thanks Tarlia, I guess that's what I was hoping someone would say! I often see parents with their babies/toddlers and am amazed at how easily they handle them (if you know what I mean). I guess, like you say, you get used to your own children and know what you're doing after a little while! Thanks Tarlia, one less thing for my overactive brain to get anxious about smile

I had an extra blood test as I went to docs about it but one of the tests at booking in done on your blood sample is for anaemia hayle it is extremely common for pregnant woman to become aneamic

MrsZzz Mon 25-Mar-13 22:08:55

Tarlia 20 scan is 22nd May. Dates were spot on at 12+3 but they still moved my due date up by 1 day to the 4th.

Got asked by kids at school today if I was pg! Was really nice to be able to say yes and not pretend I'm just getting fat (tummy is really sticking out now). Was planning on keeping quiet til after the hols but I really can't lie- great timing on the question though.

Rockchick1984 Mon 25-Mar-13 22:18:07

Rox I never held a baby until DS was born, you do just figure it out as you go along smile

Tarlia I've been wanting one for ages but I never see any big enough. Where did you get yours?

Iheartcrunchiebars Tue 26-Mar-13 05:48:10

It's scan day!! So excited and terrified at the same time!

12pm.

Good luck to everyone else scanning today. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now