Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2013: scans and starting to show!

(998 Posts)
Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 09:08:36

Will this one take us through to the end of the first trimester? Will the sickness ever end? Will we be able to judge genders from those first scan pictures? These and many other mysteries to be solved in... THREAD 4

Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 10:50:22

I wonder how many surprise sets of twins will show up?! If there are only 75 of us on the thread its possible there won't be any, but it would be exciting if there were a couple of us!

Smitten1981 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:51:19

Good morining everyone

I bought some travel bands on Saturday because I was sick of feeling sick at work. Popped them on today (after feeling very sick this morning before I got up) and have been nausea free so far. I've even managed to eat some grapes - hurrah!

They might not work for everyone, but I was willing to try anything that might help. Hopefully not too long left on the nausea bus for us!

Sanjifair Mon 18-Mar-13 10:52:54

Anone got any tips for insomnia? It's driving me mad. Am so knackered that I go to bed 9-10 ish but then wake in the middle of the night, around 12. Previous nights I have been awake for an hour then gone back to sleep, but last night was awake between 12-3am. Got up, had a hot milk, back to bed, but just couldn't sleep again, even though I am sooo tired. DS woke me up at 6:10. I am at work now, and am a wreck.

My old bras definitely don't fit, but the ones I bought for my previous pregnancy do, so am guessing I'm about the same.

Haylebop12 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:57:03

Gosh second page already!

Marking place :-) will update you all this evening with scan news. Surely if everything is ok then at 10 wks the % of mc is ridiculously low?

Is anyone else having their scan on the 27th? I'm feeling really nervous this time. I don't remember feeling like this with my previous 4 pregnancies. I don't know if it's different this time as this is the only pregnancy that was actually "planned".

pinksky Mon 18-Mar-13 11:35:22

My goodness, thread 4!!! Marking my place while I go and read the end of thread 3 and this one...
Hope you're all doing well X

marking my place too roll on the 26th too smile

Good luck with your scan bowl.

Anyone else got theirs tomorrow? I keep flitting between excited and nervous. Been having weird scan related dreams too which doesn't help. confused

also good luck hayle!

just found out you have to pay £3 per picture at the scan tomorrow! coins only as they go in a machine. Bit like an arcade photo booth! £3 and you win a prize, a baby!

cherrycherry41 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:52:17

MotherOfNations scan on 27th here too! 9 days and counting! x

racheld33 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:54:14

Hello all, just marking my place on new thread!
I'm 11 + 6 today, and got my 12 week scan on Wednesday, can't wait!

roofio87 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:54:21

its £4 a picture at my hospital!! told my mil if she wants one she can pay Haha!! wink

racheld33 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:57:10

Was £5 a photo for DS last pregnancy at my hospital!

CelticPromise Mon 18-Mar-13 13:00:13

Yay scan buddies! 26th will be a busy day...

I hope I'm not having twins... of course it would be very exciting but I think I'll be awkward enough about my VBAC (fingers crossed!) without adding twins into the mix smile

I have had a bit of spotting over the last few days, fingers crossed it's nothing.

PseudoBadger Mon 18-Mar-13 13:07:47

Hi everyone just checking in.... Our threads are so fast paced I feel a bit left out when I post sad

Iheartcrunchiebars Mon 18-Mar-13 13:12:25

You're all so lucky having scan dates already. My best friend says its worth calling the department to ask them if they have a date yet because she reckons you're booked in but it takes them ages to send the letter out. I'm worried its a bit cheeky though. Anyone else?

Bronzemoth Mon 18-Mar-13 13:26:56

Good Luck Hayle!

Finally booking in appointment today at 5pm. It has only been 5 weeks since I first requested a blood test... Ho hum. At least it is finally here and I get to leave early from work.

roofio87 Mon 18-Mar-13 13:28:01

Iheart I rang up to check on mine and it hadn't been made yet,but the women was so nice and helpful, they definitely didn't mind me asking. the worst you'll get is a no so its worth a try!!

Just thought i point in the direction of the parenting thread on discussions of the day for those who are first timers, it will make you feel better to read it, its more how it really goes iykwim grin

JethroTull Mon 18-Mar-13 13:58:12

One week to go until my scan. At my booking in appoinment the midwife told me to arrive with a full bladder as well. When I had the IVF for the egg transfer procedure I had to have a full bladder & it was agony.

I've been so lucky so far - not had any sickness, just tiredness all the time. But today, at 11 weeks I feel shocking. I've got a cold sore, am spotty and feel generally rubbish. So rubbish I rang in sick today & have spent the rest of the day feeling guilty about it.

pinksky Mon 18-Mar-13 13:59:38

Very best of luck for scans today/this week everyone. Yes Hayle miscarriage risk goes down incrementally as time goes on and I think after a heartbeat has been detected there is a 0.5% risk at 9 weeks smile

Umlauf I also have new bras--heaven! I've got two non-underwired and they feel great, even though I'm now a 34EE. I also bought one underwired, just a larger size of my all time favourites (Lepel's 'Fiore')

Booking in on Wednesday, when I'll be 8+6. Can't wait.

pinksky Mon 18-Mar-13 14:04:20

Don't feel guilty, Jethro you obviously need a rest, and worrying will make you feel worse. Hope you're doing it properly and you're tucked up on the sofa with a duvet. By the way, I find the compeed patches work so much better than any cream for cold sores. Take care

Iheartcrunchiebars Mon 18-Mar-13 14:05:47

I took your advice roofio!! No appointment had been made so she popped me in on the 26th too!!! I'm so pleased I did it. And she was the nicest woman ever ( thought they might be a bit pissed off that I was chasing them!)

No jobs for me this afternoon...too excited!

JethroTull Mon 18-Mar-13 14:33:58

Thanks Pinksky - I debated whether I should go to the supermarket to get something for dinner but then decided against it & am sat on the sofa with a cup of tea MNing instead grin

As long as my 12 week scan goes ok next week I might even think about some maternity clothes. Any ideas as to where sells decent work stuff anyone?

roxvox Mon 18-Mar-13 14:37:58

Why hello nice shiny new thread!

Pleased to hear that everyone is getting their scan dates through. Mine is on the 28th ('next Thursday' I keep saying to myself to make it sound sooner) when I'll be 12+2. Any scan date buddies?

My letter says to drink 2 pints of water an hour before, but I think they're having a laugh. I can just about hold an espresso cup full of water for an hour before I am desperate for a wee. I shall do some experimenting/attempted bladder strengthening before next Thursday me thinks.

Our letter says that 'Pictures from the scan can be purchased at £5, additional copies are £1'. I don't know if that's £5 per picture or £5 for a set of pictures or what. Tbh I am not sure I care. I'll happily spend £30 on one picture if they tell me that everything is ok in there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now