Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2013: scans and starting to show!

(998 Posts)
Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 09:08:36

Will this one take us through to the end of the first trimester? Will the sickness ever end? Will we be able to judge genders from those first scan pictures? These and many other mysteries to be solved in... THREAD 4

Rockchick1984 Mon 18-Mar-13 09:13:25

Marking my place... Thanks Umlauf

Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 09:15:09

And stats thread HERE sorry should have put that in the OP.

CelticPromise Mon 18-Mar-13 09:20:15

Checking in.

SeriousStuff Mon 18-Mar-13 09:29:00

I'm sat here, thinking about starting work, eating cake for breakfast. My sweet tooth is back with a vengeance!

Good luck later today Haylebop12 - let us know how you get on!

I have my "12 week" scan tomorrow - I'll be 10+5. Not sure how I'm feeling about it really. I feel I should be more excited than I am. Just hope they'll be able to measure and I won't need to be called back for another scan at a later date. I just want to be able to tell people now!

Morning all, hope everyone is well this grey and drizzly Monday morning.

Was in tears this morning as so tired - feel a bit silly now blush.

12 weeks tomorrow and scan on Thursday - exciting times!

Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 09:50:50

Lots if scans this week it seems! I'm 12 weeks today (occasion marked by a vomit - just as i thought it was easing off!) and scan on Friday. I'm so incredibly excited!

Natalieand Mon 18-Mar-13 09:54:46

Ooo good luck to those with scans today! Will keep everything crossed for u. Just think serious if they do cal u back it will only be a weeks wait and It means u get two scans :-) starting to get quite a few 12 weekers now aren't we? I'm 9+5 today.

To those who will be announcing on Facebook after 12 week scan how will u be doing it? If dd will co-operate I'm hoping to take a pic of either her holding the scan pics or looking at them and upload it titled 'I'm going to be a big sister' xxxx

Natalieand Mon 18-Mar-13 09:56:35

Oh forgot to say thanks for the shiny new thread umalauf xxx

Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 09:57:56

I was thinking about doing it on April fools day Natalie just to be mysterious! Maybe just with a short simple status..

I love the idea of your DD holding the scan picture! If you use Pinterest there are some amazing photo ideas for that sort of thing, also for gender reveal photos!

Natalieand Mon 18-Mar-13 10:00:46

Oooo what's Pinterest? Never heard of it before xx

roofio87 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:02:10

morning all!! marking my place. I'm 10+6 today. 8 days to go till scan! but away for 4 of those so hoping time will pass quickly!! if I put it on Facebook will probably just be a simple "is going to be a mummy" or something, maybe not for a while though!! hope everyone is feeling ok. I stayed up until 1am on Saturday and am still recovering lol!! smile

Just catching up on previous thread. Funkky my scan is at 12.30. Am going to request to work from home Thursday PM so can leave about 12, and then be at home for the afternoon in case anything is wrong so I can relax. Re the full bladder - my bladder is the size of a pee, so I will be drinking about a pint 30 minutes before the scan - any more than that and I physically can't hold it. Last time I had a to pee about 15 minutes before all of my scans and then guzzle loads of water down and they could see everything fine.

hayle good luck for you scan later - you certainly deserve lots of good news after the tough time you have been having!

MrsE if you are still reading, so sorry to hear your news, and good luck for jumping on a bus again very soon. Come back and update us x.

Wickedgirl Mon 18-Mar-13 10:07:49

I am 10 weeks today and have a private scan booked for Friday. One of my best friends (the only friend I have told) does reiki and crystal healing. She knew I was pregnant before I told her (because of the reiki and crystal healing) and her crystal is telling her its twins!

Twins will be hard with 3other children to look after but I have worked with several sets of newborn twins (and triplets!) so wont be too hard.

I guess I will find out in a few days if her crystal is right!

I am still being sick every few days and the nausea is still non stop but hopefully I am nearing the end now.

I am definitely rounder but still haven't put any weight on.......probably because of the sickness. My clothes are too tight so after my scan I am going clothes shopping.......lots to look forward to!

Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 10:09:10

natalie its brilliant! It's like an only photo pin board full of pictures for everything. Like google images with the rubbish stuff weeded out. I use it for home decor and cooking inspiration mostly, but people uses it for fashion, parenting ideas etc. the link to the website is here pinterest.com/ and if you have an iPhone or tablet it can be addictive!

bowl DH is doing the same, "in case of bad news." I wanted to buy a photo frame at the weekend for the scan pic but he wouldn't, "in case of bad news!" I think he is more a pessimist than I am! Luckily I don't work Fridays anyway otherwise would have had to have gone back.

Nobody mentioned drinking lots before mine, so I suggested it to the midwives (as I was sure I'd read it here or somewhere!) and they laughed a bit and said how outdated! So maybe they have super scanning machines here, or maybe they are just a bit clueless. I'm going to try and drink lots before anyway!!

Wickedgirl Mon 18-Mar-13 10:10:42

Are early scans always done internally? At what stage do scans start on tummies? I have only ever had 12 week scans before that we're jelly and scan on my tummy

Umlauf I'm pretty optimistic about it really, but then feel like I am jinxing it by not worrying. Being pregnant really does turn you into a crazy person doesn't it!

Wicked the only internal scan I have had to have was at about 5 weeks. I've had two early scans at around 8-9 weeks and both have been on the tummy - so you should get away with dildo-cam grin

Natalieand Mon 18-Mar-13 10:18:26

wicked I am very over weight size 22 and even at my 5 week scan she could see the pregnancy sac on an abdominal scan. With dd I had a dating scan at 9+6 and that was abdominal and everything was seen clearly xxxx

roofio87 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:18:35

my letter just says "arrive with full bladder" so I guess just drink however much you're comfortable with!!

Wickedgirl Mon 18-Mar-13 10:19:11

Phew......thank you ladies. smile

Umlauf Mon 18-Mar-13 10:24:04

YESSSSS!!!! The postwoman has arrived and brings with her BRAS!!!

I have had ONE white cotton bra that fits so far, I can wash it! In Spain they stock nothing above a D and if they do it costs a bloody fortune. Sadly I bought this bra for future use but it already fits perfectly which means I am 2 cu sizes bigger. It's a pretty fabric but otherwise a boulder holder with inch wide straps! But ah, the relief!

SeriousStuff Mon 18-Mar-13 10:32:06

Wickedgirl I had a scan at 5+2 and it was internal (they did a stomach one but couldn't see a thing!) Then at 7+3 it was still internal.

BowlFullofJelly dildo-cam!!! Hilarious! The last time I had it done, I was watching the gyno place a condom on it and it split! I think she was new...

Natalieand Mon 18-Mar-13 10:32:50

I'm still in my usual bras. No need for me to change yet really. Currently cuddled up on sofa with a blanket its dd first day back at playschool from having the chicken pox and I have some sharp crampy type pains in my lower back. Hopefully its nothing so guna put my feet up for two hours till pick up time

What's everyone else up to today?

cazboldy Mon 18-Mar-13 10:38:35

celticpromise that makes 4 of us with scans on the 26th smile

feeling knackered. got dd2 off and got to take her to the docs - think she has conjunctivitis .....

managed toast AND a cup of tea for brekkie - and feel really happy about it grin

roofio87 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:45:46

yay, roll on the 26th!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now