Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2013 - Part 4 - Half way there already!

(1000 Posts)
RugBugs Fri 15-Mar-13 19:00:11
sailinggirlie Sun 19-May-13 21:41:05

Hi guys, just stopped in to introduce myself :-) I'm currently 26 weeks today :-) This is our first baby - I'm 34 and DH is 37.

The baby is kicking like crazy and has routines now. She is even recognising music! Anyway, been on MN reading for a while now, but someone mentioned these threads recently (I had no idea they were here - clearly have no explored enough) and I thought it would be nice to say hello :-D

We are completely unprepared at the mo - not buying anything till 32 wks (well, I've brought a dress, sis has passed niece's baby clothes to my mum and I've brought a sling, but apart from that!!). Anyway, looking forward to chatting!

MrsPennyapple Sun 19-May-13 21:46:17

Cakebaby Yes, I've hit the tired wall again. I feel alright through the day, but I get to about 9.30 and I'm beat. It's 9.45 now and I'm thinking about going up to bed to read for a bit and then sleep.

Woofers Mon 20-May-13 06:27:51

O m g confusedconfusedconfused no one told me about hip cramps.

Does anyone have one of those preg pillows? Recommendations or warnings welcomed!!! Never mind dh point of view or that he is neglected, he's gonna be sleeping alone v soon!!!!

I honestly thought labour had started - in my hip.

RuckAndRoll Mon 20-May-13 08:14:06

Hi sailing You're very restrained with buying things, we've pretty much got everything we need, apart from a cotbed mattress and sheets, which we don't need immediately anyway. Still feel totally unprepared though!

Woofers It might sound silly but I was told to be careful with the expensive pregnancy pillows, in the physios words 'you wouldn't buy a one size fits all bra, so why do it with a pillow'. She suggested getting an old pillow. Beating it up/squeeze a bit around the middle to create a pasta bow shape (does that make sense?!) then when on your side the squeezed in bit fills the gap just above your hip and the other bits of the pillow provide back and bump support. Then use a second one to go between your knees and ankles so it creates a straight line for your spine.

Worth a try before spending money if my descriptions make any sense

28wk check today (28+1)

JollyOrangeGiant Mon 20-May-13 08:20:15

We've bought one outfit. And a Moses basket mattress. That's all!

Haven't even got DS's old stuff down from the loft to see what we need. DH is not keen on getting organised yet. And to be honest I'm so busy at work that I don't have time to deal with this stuff until July.

Baby is alreadt a neglected second child!

JollyOrangeGiant Mon 20-May-13 08:20:57

25+ something...

25+4 smile

Welcome Sailing

Woofers I got a dream genii pillow early on and I love it. It's now supplemented by additional pillows but I even take it into London when I'm staying over! It will be used as a feeding pillow when she arrives as well.
I don't have hip cramps but they seize up something chronic if I'm sat for more than an hour and turning over in the night is excruciating. I've actually booked myself into the Chiro on Wednesday :-( £74 for consultation, review and treatment, which I can't afford, but I'm worried they'll use this as another excuse to refuse me the water birth I'm praying for!

Gary glad I'm not the only one spurting milk already - it's very disconcerting! Do you know if it means we'll have less Colostrum at the start or is the body clever enough to know we're 'practicing' rather than feeding already?

Have a happy monday everyone flowers
29+6

BabyHMummy Mon 20-May-13 11:34:19

Hi sailing congrats and welcome!

woofers I bought summer ultimate body pillow. On amazon at 45 quid but got it on eBay for 99p so worth keeping an eye out.

Christelle2207 Mon 20-May-13 14:54:44

I jut bought a long "pregnancy" pillow in Argos for a tenner. I wind it around me and it goes in the middle of the bed separating us both, much to then annoyance of dh as it basically means less room for him. I love it. Went away for the weekend (in the car to be fair so easy to take) and it came with me. Got strange looks at the reception of the premier inn but don't care.
jolly you sound like me except that I didn't buy the Moses basket I was given it. Getting organised is on the to do list but we have loads of house jobs to sort first, including a massive clear out of thE spare room so that we can actually house PFB and his stuff!
29+3
Ps welcome to sailing

Gonnabmummy Mon 20-May-13 21:33:58

Hi I'm due on 28th August with dc1 never posted on these before but everyone says to look up your due month,,,, anything I need to do before the chatting commences? X

BabyHMummy Mon 20-May-13 22:15:25

Hi gonnabe welcome to the thread!

RuckAndRoll Mon 20-May-13 22:30:42

just dive right in gonna smile welcome

GaryBuseysTeeth Mon 20-May-13 22:44:49

Welcome Gonna!! How are you finding pregnancy so far?
Welcome Sailing too, with you on the restrained shopping!

Woofers, I use a Dunlopillo between my legs/under bump atm, they're really thick/good quality latex ones (which are an utter bitch to wash/dry) with the added bonus that they're comfy to sleep on....haven't tried the pregnancy specific ones, but they're usually going cheap on ebay.
I can however, recommend mothercare postbirth pillow for if you end up lucky enough to have haemoroids (sp?) after birth! It's £5 off atm.

Remembering, you 'know' the difference atm apparently, however I had a blocked duct last week so keep an eye on your boobs!

Christelle, good luck clearing out the spare room! We have to sand & gloss all the woodwork/repaint the hall/recarpet before baby arrives, looking less likely to happen every day!

28+2

FoofFighter Mon 20-May-13 23:55:00

Hello newbies smile welcome aboard!

Pillows - I got the long £20 one from Argos and it kind of does the job for between the legs but doesn't quite work for bump support, I'd just use a couple of feather pillows tbh that can be moulded to how you want them.

Leaking - just a teeny tiny bit, I find crusty dried up leakage in my nipples, that sounds lovely eh! I like picking them off in the morning, a bit like scabs blush It won't affect the milk/colostrum coming in or anything, that is kickstarted by the placenta being expelled I am sure I read somewhere which is why the milk takes a couple of days to start being produced.

For anyone with cramps or restless legs, I've been taking magnesium tablets for two weeks jsut about now, and the difference is amazing. I am still getting a calf cramp in the morning but that's to do with my disc/nerve damage as i got that before anyway, but the rest of the cramps have gone, and the restless legs are very very very subdued. Got mine from Holland and Barrat (plus they have their 1p sale on)

28 weeks tomorrow, got MW, will be getting GTT results, and they also took by bloods last week so will get results of those too. Don't know if anyone remembers but last checkup MW was a bit concerned my pulse was high - well the last two days have felt weird and faint, so any ideas? Will of course mention to her.

Gary blocked duct sounds like a whole new world of discomfort - will keep an eye out for that, thanks. Hope you're all ok now

Welcome GonnaBe

Foof good luck today thanks

I'm on the train for my fun commute to London. Hating it nowsad 20 days til hols then mat leave grin

LouiseD29 Tue 21-May-13 07:43:49

Hi Gonna, hi Sailing, glad it's not just me who's under-prepared. So far I have two babygrows and a knitted cardi that DH's grandmother made. Nothing else! Plans are afoot though... Ikea, here we come!

Can add to the pillow debate - was deliberating, but managed to find someone to lend me a long one (not v shaped) and used it for the first time last night. It was pretty good! Went between my knees and under bump and I hugged it as well. Think it helped, but not worth a lot of money.

Foof, I too am getting crusty nipples - another thing to add to my 'glamorous pregnancy' list!

RuckAndRoll Tue 21-May-13 08:44:20

food hope today's ok. could be anything, your midwife will know best. Dr told me we're too used to feeling 100% well so when we feel off in pregnancy we panic un necessarily. not sure if I totally agree.

BabyHMummy Tue 21-May-13 08:51:59

Foof good luck today

After a few days of limited movement baby is very active today. She heard her daddy's voice this morning and was doing acrobatics til he got into bed and cuddled up, then she went back to being settled. She has since woken up and is a proper wriggle bum which I am starting to quite like...eek

JollyOrangeGiant Tue 21-May-13 18:02:36

Just had some good news re maternity pay. I feel so much better now as the consequences of redundancy (albeit from my second job) have been worrying me.

Going to have a quiet night in to celebrate grin

BabyHMummy Tue 21-May-13 18:08:06

That's great news jolly

FoofFighter Tue 21-May-13 19:31:04

babyH it's lovely to see you say that smile

Jolly good news jolly!! My own maternity allowance should work out at about a tenner more than I get normally anyway (have gathered the 13 payslips where i did extra hours ;))

MW - hmm... blush I was a week early for my appointment!! I should NOT be allowed out alone confused (go on laugh, everyone else has!!) Just glad I had gotten a lift, if I had had to walk it, for nothing I would have cried!

FoofFighter Tue 21-May-13 19:34:36

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1761606-Due-August-2013-Part-5-The-Final-Stretch-Were-nearly-there-duebies

Only 28 messages left on this thread so made the next one ^^ Bookmark it!

BabyHMummy Tue 21-May-13 19:37:39

Oh foof that is so the sort of thing I would do if my surgery didn't send me text reminders. I have my 28 week apt tomorrow, few days early but I am away next week.

As for the whole liking the movement thing, I actually think I am starting to get my head round it...don't get me wrong I still feel like its happening to someone else but I am.starting to smile when she moves and feel positive about it all.

Was lovely today though, she has barely moved for last few days but dp came in and was chatting to the dog, I was still asleep but stirring and as soon as he spoke ahe started to.wriggle about. And then constantly til he snuggled up and rested his hand on my belly then she stopped. But since I.got up at 8 she hasn't stopped moving. Although the jabs to my lungs is making me very wheezy

FoofFighter Tue 21-May-13 20:28:23

Did you get it checked out when she wasn't moving?x

BabyHMummy Tue 21-May-13 20:51:29

Nope and before you shout at me, I had some movements just deeper than normal so harder to feel, had to really concentrate. She's been quite active at about 4am recently so as I haven't slept I had a really good night the last couple and missed it I think.

I did speak to my midwife the other week about it and she said not to panik unless feel no movement at all as there is still a huge amount of room for her to get lost in. Plus being chubby when she sits low down there is an awful lot of blubber for the kicks to get thru (my words not hers btw)

This thread is not accepting new messages.