Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2013 - Part 4 - Half way there already!

(1000 Posts)
RugBugs Fri 15-Mar-13 19:00:11
FoofFighter Mon 01-Apr-13 17:47:04

Dave I've got a load of muslins that I was hoping to use at first and will buy a few xs wraps (will probably use dispos for first two weeks full time though while concentrating on getting bf sorted)

Glad to see a positive write up about the chinese cheapies smile I'd be using better boosters with them if I got any.

Interesting reading on the re-usables. I know nothing but I do want to use them!
Is anyone else experiencing rib pain? I'm not sure how long it should last but OW! I'm only 5'1" so guessed I would need to 'make space' ! confused

JollyPurpleGiant Mon 01-Apr-13 19:55:20

PFEs... You should get that checked out. MW should be able to advise what's normal and what's not. I'm sure it's fine, but I know my mum had some issue with her ribs when she was pregnant with twins and they would have been able to make it less sore had she told them earlier smile

That was a bit garbled, sorry!

FoofFighter Mon 01-Apr-13 20:07:36

think it's around now that the ribs expand so that could explain it, especially if you are only wee PFEs, I'm 5ft 7 and quite long in the body, don't recall having rib probs previously apart from being booted in them!

OxfordToLondoner Mon 01-Apr-13 21:10:15

My birthday today. This time last year I was dancing to loud music in the garden having been drinking since midday, and basking in the heat. Somewhat different this year. Recovering from an all weekend ear infection, and DS's 5th birthday & party on Saturday. On reflection, I am very happy. It's going to be a good 43rd (ouch) year...

Abilee90 Mon 01-Apr-13 21:58:48

Happy birthday oxford! I also have been ill but with a chest infection. Went out of hours doc to be told she wont give me antibiotics as i'm allergic to penicillin and without speaking to my gp :/ so got to go to my gp surgery tomorrow. Not what i wanted to do but i sound like i've smoke for 40 years.

Dh has gone from sweet and caring to being nasty and uncaring back to caring :/ cant keep up. So planning an early night as i feel so crappy :,(

Dd has been really loving to me and really sweet. She broke into one of her easter eggs today (well i did for her) and she had a white choc beard. Too funny.

Hope everyone ok.

22 weeks tomorrow smile xxx

Autumn12 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:20:32

Ah that's sweet about your DD Abilee.

I seem to have some sort if pinched nerve thing in my left thigh. I keep getting painful electric shock type pains that come at random. They only last a few minutes but are really painful.

Is any body else finding clothes a problem now? In the past two weeks my bump seems to have really popped out. So I can no longer wear my normal trousers and my coat won't fully button up. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if this freezing weather continues as I don't want to spend money on a maternity coat or any winter clothes that I won't (hopefully) need for very long. It was supposed to be warming up by now do that I could make do with a few lighter and looser items that I already have until I'm big enough for proper maternity wear.

muddybloodypuddles Mon 01-Apr-13 22:44:33

Know what you mean Autumn, my maternity coat is made more for spring-time so I have been managing to zip up my normal winter coat but I can only just do it now and its really uncomfortable as everything is squashed

My bump seems to have got enormous (again) this week, bit worried about how early I am starting to look like an elephant hmm

Happy birthday Oxford! 43 is still young ;-) - it was my dh's b'day last week and last year it was 23 degrees and we had a barbeque for his birthday - this weather is bonkers!

Abi - hope you're feeling better soon x

Still haven't bought anything for the baby - am I in denial?!? At first we said once the 20wk scan is okay, then after getting pp diagnosis dh is saying not until 24wks when baby is 'viable' (he knows how to stop me worrying eh)... We still have stuff from DS so won't be stuck obviously but anyone else not actually bought anything yet??

MrsPennyapple Mon 01-Apr-13 23:16:38

Remembering when I was pg with DD I had chronic rib pain. I'm 5'7 and quite long in the body (like Foof) I found that the only relief I could get was lying down. I don't think I ever mentioned it to my midwife either, perhaps I should have! I'm afraid it didn't really let up, so do mention it to the mw and hopefully she can do something for you.

I would add that so far this time, I have only had painful ribs once, and that was when I was wearing a fairly new bra, so not very stretchy. Once I'd changed it for a knackered stretchy one, it was loads better.

I've also been wondering about coat-related matters, as mine is almost at it's limit now. I am glad I kept the stretched-out-of-shape hoody I wore last time round, as it's the warmest thing I've got that fits now!

22 weeks today and expanding daily - had put on 1st 2lb at last check, a couple of days ago!

Thanks ladies! I will mention to MW if it doesn't ease up.
I managed to get a (very ugly) maternity coat in the sample sale at work for £2 (annoying smug face) but its a duvet so perfect today but not when it's slightly warmer (less smug)
I'm now officially huge so am in full blown maternity. Saw SIL at weekend who had her 3rd last July and I'm now as big as she was when she had her DD.
23 weeks today

RuckAndRoll Tue 02-Apr-13 11:48:20

How is everyone today?

I'm panicing a bit and can't decide whether I need to call the midwife or if I'm being silly. During the night DH rolled over and dropped his arm down hard on my bump (almost like a punch, he's a lead weight when asleep), this morning I've got pains like period pains. There's no blood and the baby has given me a few jabs this morning but I'm sat at my desk really not sure what to do.

Typically I then spent the rest of the night only managing to doze and trying to keep as far away from him as is possible when in bed, DH carried on snoring, oblivious to his sleep actions!

We went through our list last night and realised furniture and a moses basket are the only bigger bits we have left to get. We've manged to be far too organised and have pretty much all the stuff (apart from nappies, maternity pads etc).

21+2

OxfordToLondoner Tue 02-Apr-13 13:18:10

Call the midwife right now. There's no point worrying. Even if (as almost certainly) there's nothing wrong.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Tue 02-Apr-13 13:56:11

Yes Ruck do call your Midwife, even just to put your mind at rest. Are you rh negative? They may decide to gve you Anti-D so it's worth letting them know.

I am following the reuseables talk with interest. I really want to use them, and have done lots of research including filling in the nappy lady questionnaire, but it looks like we may not be able to move from our rented flat now sad. I don't know if it's practical with a dodgy washing machine that barely cleans our clothes now never mind a load of dirty nappies and just a drying rack indoors. We do have an outside line but it will be weather dependent of course.

I really want to use them as I feel it will save money and I don't like the waste with disposables. Have been looking at the possibility of Eco disposables and wet composting but will have to compost at my parent's house!

RuckAndRoll Tue 02-Apr-13 14:03:50

Ijust I'm rh positive so ok on that front. Just realised the only place I have the midwives phone number written down is in my notes, which are at home so can't call until I get back from work. I've googled and have a number for the team of midwives but I was told only to call that if my midwife wasn't answering and it was an emergency.

Learn from my mistake and make sure your midwife number is in your mobile/written down somewhere obvious.

BabyHMummy Tue 02-Apr-13 14:59:40

Awww rugs hope you are ok!!

I am joining on the crazy organised we only need to get the hospital stuff like maternity and breast pads oh and the cot mattress. I am 20+2 today.

Already have starter kit of nappies wipes etc and a couple of friends who have had babies over the last year and have left over newborn and first size nappies who have kindly given them to us so that is covered.

Just need to decide on ease of disposables or cuteness of cloth nappies

JollyPurpleGiant Tue 02-Apr-13 15:50:09

Happy Birthday Oxford smile

We've bought nothing except a pair of Dungarees for baby so far. But we have almost everything from DS.

We just need: 3 mattresses (cot, Moses basket, pram) some vests and sleepsuits, a blackout blind, A high chair and new pram wheels.

DS has a Stokke Tripp Trapp high chair so we'll get one the same for DC2.

Woofers Tue 02-Apr-13 17:26:28

In a weird bug out bag kind of way my hubby told me to pack a hospital bag at 18weeks. So I have all things for a labour admission. Breast pads, mat pads, nighty, knickers, dressing gown toiletries etc.

I'm not buying for the baby until I know what team I'm on. Although I did get an adorable little vest with stars on with a matching hat. From jo Jo mamon bebe.

We need 3 mattresses too. And will start buying newborn nappies at 7 - 8 mths. We intend on going reusable but since you can't get a lot of use out of new born, and I should think I will be suffering from shock, il be doing easy as poss for a while.

My scan is not thurs after all. It's Tuesday!!!!! A whole week!!!!!!!

Happy birthday wine

Hello, I'm updating between trips to vomit in the bathroom. Really not handling the Hyperemesis too well the past few days. Largely I think this is because my lodger moved in yesterday so I am going a bit OTT with housework, and completely knackering myself as well as the awful smells of cleaning products setting me off. Back at work between my daily hospital visits now too, so pretty exhausted really.

Baby is due in 17 weeks now! Which means I have 15 weeks left at work, not so long really.

I am hoping to feel a bit better before long, I have no baby clothes, or nappies or anything like that and I'll need some energy to get that all sorted.

Stopsittingonyoursister Tue 02-Apr-13 23:39:20

Wow - so many messages over the Easter break! Hope everyone had a good Easter and got enough Easter Eggs to last at least a week!

Oxford - happy birthday!

Waves - I don't know how you do it. Hope your stbexh left without too much trouble or pettiness, given what he's put you through already.

Ruck - hope everything was OK once you got home and rang the MW. Good idea about putting the number in my phone.

MrsPenny and MrsW - hugely exciting about the weddings! Have you got something borrowed, blue, old, new and MN?!

After all my worries and complaining blush our weekend away with the MIL wasn't actually too bad. The DC loved it. Their Uncles were over from Brussels, so brought tonnes (literally) of Belgian chocolate with them and hid it all over the yard and garden - it took ages for the kids to find it all! Plus we had good weather, comparatively speaking, so although it was freezing, it was also sunny and we all had good walking gear so could get out and about. I need to just really try to get over the lack of bleach, lack of food suitable for the kids, and lack of any sort of flexibility on MIL's part, and then we would go more often...!

First proper day of the holidays today, and has been fab. Stayed in PJs until gone 9am, friends came over for lunch (9 kids in the house = mental), library, park. Bless DD, she fell asleep in front of the Cbeebies ballet at 5.30. We are currently trying to get her to be dry through the night, and so far (only day 2!) she has done really well. I am very proud of her, she's not 3 until May and DS was 3.5 before he was dry through the night.

You are all very organised about getting organised. I need to start getting stuff down from the loft and making lists!

22+5

RuckAndRoll Wed 03-Apr-13 11:03:37

waves not good your feeling rough again. Don't push yourself, explain to your lodger and relax as much as you can (Easier said than done I know).

Stopsitting thanks, feeling fine today, baby obviously knew I was worried so spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening practicing it's kicking smile and well done to your DD, will be easier only having one set of nappies to manage once baby arrives.

Well I'm having a major wardrobe crisis today. It's DNs christening in a few weeks and I've no idea what to wear. I normally live in jeans and tshirt or black work trousers and a smart top, easy. I have a maxi dress in turquoise which fits and the shape is good but it's very bright and summery and I don't have a jacket that would work with it - far too cold for bare arms.

Arghhh would this dress be too smart/stade for it do you think?!

FoofFighter Wed 03-Apr-13 11:12:38

Scan today, feeling very nervous. everyone has had good scans with no problems and feelign my old age and thinking there'll be something wrong. I think too much confused

Re equipment, just needing cotbed, mattress, cot sheets, and more cloth nappies, then got to do my stuff for the hospital so breast pads, maternity san pads, knickers etc

Not much at all really, probably should have spread it out a bit longer!

BabyHMummy Wed 03-Apr-13 11:16:34

Good luck foof mine is Friday and am terrified!!

ruck dress is nice, maybe brighten with accessories or scarf?

FoofFighter Wed 03-Apr-13 11:19:34

Answering the fb sos re dress ;) I think it's absolutely fine for a christening smile and it'll be fine for work after too smile

FoofFighter Wed 03-Apr-13 11:19:57

Thanks H smile (ignore the rude comments on the other thread btw!)

RuckAndRoll Wed 03-Apr-13 11:27:17

Foof everyone worries about their scans, irrespective of their age, my 90 year old gran informs me the worry lasts at least 55 years (Dads age!). Hopefully baby will be there waving or blowing bubbles or being un co-operative like mine

Thanks for the SOS response, DSIL is so fashionable and will look amazing in whatever she throws on. DH says 'that's fine/lovely' to everything I try on, even when it looks awful.

This thread is not accepting new messages.