Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2013 - Part 4 - Half way there already!

(1000 Posts)
RugBugs Fri 15-Mar-13 19:00:11
MrsPennyapple Fri 15-Mar-13 19:13:57

Ooh, am I first? Woo hoo!

Scan was today, the sonographer saw everything she needed to see and was happy with everything. Good job we didn't want to know the sex, as she didn't get a good crotch shot. The scan was super clear, we could even see the ventricles of the heart. The pics came out awful though, but we got really good ones at 12 week scan so I'm not too upset.

Foof definitely buy the pram!

FoofFighter Fri 15-Mar-13 19:39:04

Just checking in smile

Yay for Team Yellow mrspennyapple!! wink

RuckAndRoll Fri 15-Mar-13 19:39:32

ooh a brand spanking new thread smile

Just checking in. Worked from home today which was great, got some rest.

Have a great weekend everyone

muddybloodypuddles Fri 15-Mar-13 19:59:36

Ooh hello - congrats on good scan mrspennyapple

Rugs / jolly - I have physio appt on 27th march, they do group appts for pg ladies so don't think I get any one on one unless its really bad - will let you know when I've been

Dh just gone out after us having a mini row (mini as in I refused to talk about it any more) - he has apparently been offered a brilliant opportunity to do the fastnet race for a reduced price - for 2 weeks in August and will only cost £3k of our non-existent money - I am actually quite upset he was even considering it and told him it was a good job he's going out tonight. No doubt his friends will be saying I'm a bitch for not letting him live his dreams blah blah blah, don't really care, its just riled me grrrr men!

RugBugs Fri 15-Mar-13 20:10:22

Hurray for a good scan Mrspennyapple, I wish I was strict enough with myself to stay team yellow but we weren't able to find out with DD, she was shy ha!, I do have moments of feeling strong but they give way to thoughts of shopping fairly quickly!

I wish I had kept my pgp sheet from last pg, had some helpful stuff on it all I can remember is keeping knees together (which I've been doing and has helped).

Muddy that's a bit off of your DH. Hopefully he's just in the initial 'OMG I have this opportunity' rush and reality will dawn on him soon.

FoofFighter Fri 15-Mar-13 21:14:24

Muddy if it makes you feel better my OH was all for going to belladrum festival a week before I am due. And couldn't see a reason not to go either. dick.

Woofers Fri 15-Mar-13 21:27:38

Rug - I mis read your post on the last thread. I thought why can't she get a midwife APP for your smart phone. Oops

My dh came home a few weeks ago and said he'd been offered a posting for 2 weeks in summer in a troubled part of the world. Normally I would have been like, yeah if you want to go, make sure the will is updated. This time I said well how are you going to get home quickly? He made the decision. I just planted the worry seed.

Abilee90 Fri 15-Mar-13 22:02:17

Ah sounds like my dh, why do they get stupid ideas? My dh was like oh my mates want to go away end of july. My reply was you dare go, he was like why? I said hmmm i dunno the invader in my womb may appear while ur away. As you can tell i'm very sarcastic.

I'm watching comic relief and some of it just upsets me far to much and i just cant watch.

Dd fell over this evening and managed to make her mouth bleed sad so i had a screaming blood covered 14 month. She ok now, no tooths lost and i cant work out where the blood was coming from but was only little bit. Dh is crap in these situations and gets annoyed that its happened. Which i try to explain isnt the way to calm her down as his tone isnt comforting but i'm in the wrong for explaining. Its also why dd wants me as soon as something goes wrong and as soon as shes in my arms shes ok and stops crying. Dh is an amazing dad but useless in high pressure situations. My dd is trying to walk more hence the accident. She face planted the floor sad hasnt lost her confidence tho. As soon as she stopped crying, she was off again. Just a bit more careful.

Sorry i dribbled on then. Little man is really getting strong smile

Xxx

Woofers Fri 15-Mar-13 22:34:31

Poor baby girl! But it will be the first of many. Mouths bleed loads, but from the tiniest break in the skin. Ice lolly tomorrow to help with bruising and swelling.

My dh is the same. All about the practicalities, not about the emotions.

Red Nose Day always makes me want to go and volunteer and give aid in these third world countries. Won't be going this side of 10years tho!!! I'm sure there is plenty to do closer to home.

muddybloodypuddles Fri 15-Mar-13 23:02:16

Dh has texted to say sorry and that he wouldn't really go he just got excited... it probably was a good idea he went out, otherwise we could've had a big row. Maybe his mates told him it was a stupid idea? (or hopefully he came up with it all by himself)

Abi - hope elle is okay, its quite nerve wracking when they're learning to walk!

can't watch red nose day - crap aren't I, just can't handle it...

Woofers - lol - there could be something in a midwife App (i'm sure there probably is one already?!)

Abilee90 Fri 15-Mar-13 23:21:59

Muddy and woofers - shes fine now, was after a five minute mum mum snuggle, she taken to calling me mum mum which is so sweet. Shes so loving bless. I checked her mouth when i did her teeth before bed and all seemed ok. So will keep an eye out for bruising and stuff. She had milky buttons to make her better smile. Also was a naughty mummy and arranged for minnie and mickey mouse to deliver an easter egg to her. She mickey mouse clubhouse mad. My friend works at appearance company and arranged it for me. Excited to see her face now.

Muddy - glad dh came to his senses. Some of them need a few hours to think before they realise. Me and dh are same unless he goes out we have a huge row, i text his friend last sun and said take him out or we will end up in a row so he did. Came bk a different bloke.

Woofers - what pony do you have? I've got a welsh section d cob and a shire. Are you still riding while preg?

Xxx

Stopsittingonyoursister Fri 15-Mar-13 23:44:59

Quick straw poll if you wouldn't mind ladies....

What do you think of the names:

1) Alexander James (to be known as Xander rather than Alex if we shorten his name)

2) Jack William

Which is your favourite?? Feel like I really want to name DS2 now we "know" him iyswim.

Chuckaluck Sat 16-Mar-13 06:41:37

stopsitting I personally prefer number 2 but I like them both! If we have a boy, it's likely to have William as a second name!

Oooo, shiny new thread, just Getting comfy for the next 8 weeks or so and then we will be in third trimester nearly shock

Locketjuice Sat 16-Mar-13 07:52:29

Hellllo smile just checking in!

duende Sat 16-Mar-13 08:43:47

Checking in.
stopsitting, I like both, but I think I like number 2 better.

People who have bought prams, what have you gone for?

MrsPennyApple great news on the scan. It's amazing what they can see isn't it?!
Muddy so glad to hear he's come to his senses. My DH Is keen sailor and is missing the national championships in mid August. He's disappointed but he knew it was a no brainer. I told him he should have got his little men to impregnate me sooner and then he could've gone wink
StopsittingI prefer the first option personally but they're both lovely.
Duende we've gone for Bugaboo Chameleon - second hand with new fabrics...
Have a great weekend all. I'll mostly be in bed due to having labrynthitis. Which, for the record, sucks. Still not competing for the HG crown tho - that has to suck much more!!

RuckAndRoll Sat 16-Mar-13 10:35:27

duende we've gone for the Quinny Speedi SX. DH is really tall and trying to find one that when the seat is lying back he didn't knee all the time was hard.

Muddy Glad your DH saw the right answer (yours of course!). My DH's job ends on August 31st, luckily he's seen the light and is trying desperately to get a new one earlier than that.

Stopsitting both names I would use smile

abi glad your DD is better, scary when that happens.

Enjoy your weekend everyone

Hello new thread!

I'm having a rubbish day so far, and really struggling with the marriage breakdown. It's all probably worse because of the ongoing sickness, but then I think the sickness is exacerbated by the stress! I can't believe that as well as being so ill, and being pregnant, I have legal proceedings to contend with and need to find lodgers so I can afford the mortgage when stbxh moves out, which is meant to be a week on Monday. Which is also the second anniversary of my dads death which is also very upsetting. I'm in bed at the moment, planning on attempting some upright time as I need to find the energy to get cards etc for DSs birthday and my mums the following week!

Woofers Sat 16-Mar-13 12:28:53

Waves - moon pig for cards. Can you not get an advocate for legal proceedings? And lodgers - right move and local paper. All done on line. No need to be upright smile

I've got the mamas and papas sola - car seat brand new. Carry cot ex display (half price), pushchair in grass green second hand eBay.

Now looking at second hand cot beds.

We have been given an angel thingy alarm thingy. With the sensor pad thingy.

Regarding dh's and their reactions to stress are you for or against dh being your birthing partner?

I know it's a little bit selfish unusual but I'd rather do it alone. My dh is all practicalities no emotional support, and that's what I think il need. Also he tends to shout commands in a crisis - it's his job / nature to take command of a situation. Maybe he needs coaching? Do they cover that at antenatal classes??

Sorry for excessive rambling.

Woofers Sat 16-Mar-13 12:29:36

Oh and the names - I love both choices. Xander is fab

Dexidoo Sat 16-Mar-13 17:37:50

Hello everyone, busy times at work have kept me away. Hope everyone is doing ok, have tried to catch up.

woofers we have put down a deposit on a M&P sola I fell in love with one of the new colours and so decision made blush

Have started thinking about decor/furniture for nursery and hope I've persuaded DH that we should stay team yellow- scan not for another 2 weeks.

stopsitting I like both of your names William is on our list

abi glad your DD is fine bet that was scary

waves you are doing amazingly well coping with everything (hugs)

<scuttles back to the rugby, COME ON WALES!!>

17+6

Chuckaluck Sat 16-Mar-13 20:08:41

Well DH has been watching rugby and I have been online looking at nursery sets. Anyone got any thoughts on if you need a wardrobe and the changing unit too?? It's so confusing! Want to start making some of the big purchases so costs can be spread but right now, what with prams too, I feel like head will explode!

Has anyone got any thoughts on the uppababy vista. I am quite keen but don't know anyone who has one!

www.uppababy.co.uk/Vista-pushchair-pram.html

20+5 - scan on Tuesday - Team Yellow!

duende Sat 16-Mar-13 22:08:36

chuckaluck the vista is what i think we will go for, but haven't bought it yet.

With DS we haven't needed a wardrobe until now- he is 3.5 and I have just today ordered a wardrobe from ikea for him (to share with the baby in the future)

Until now, all his clothes have fitted into this:ikea hemnes
He also had a white cot from Ikea which we will use again.

Stopsittingonyoursister Sat 16-Mar-13 22:14:28

Thanks all for your comments on the names, will keep on thinking!

We aren't getting a new pram for this one - we have the M&P Ultima in Afternoon Tea (white with red polka dots). Did for DS and DD for the first year so will do for this one as well! We'll get a new pushchair when DS2 is a year, like we did for DD - DD's was a lovely M&P one whose model name escapes me, but was magenta pink with a big flowery hood - not really suitable for DS2, so we'll sell that one I think and get something new later on.

woofers I couldn't have done labour without my DH there tbh, but he is very supportive. I guess a lot depends on whether you would have anyone else in the room with you, and how your DH/P would feel about you telling him you didn't want him there? Would he be upset? One of the best moments in my DH's life (according to him) has been watching our children come into the world and cutting the cord - would your DH feel denied of this opportunity? I would definitely say that you need someone in the room with you to advocate for you if you are unable to do that yourself - if you need to make any decisions or have any medical treatment/intervention explained to you, it is much better to have someone there that isn't in pain and can take in the information and ask the relevant questions on your behalf. DH found the NHS antenatal classes were very much about the practicalities (where you go when you get to hospital,how you get your parking permit etc) but the NCT classes were very good - much more about the emotional side of birth, for want of a better description. The partners all discussed their role in the birth, their worries, etc as well as how to actually look after the baby when it arrives ie how to bathe it, how to dress it when they cant push their arms through the sleeves, how often they need feeding/winding/changing etc. As long as you take all the "natural" stuff with a pinch of a salt and adjust the advice to suit your own circumstances, they really were very good.

chuckaluck we bought a low unit for our nursery and changed the baby on the floor. My DMIL is a paedeatric (sp?) neurologist and is dead set against changing units - too easy for the baby to fall off them in her opinion! So we used a low cupboard and had some boxes inside with eg vests, socks, baby grows so we could just reach into the cupboard whilst kneeling with the baby and get whatever we needed. Very very handy in the middle of the night to be able to find a clean babygrow without crashing too much furniture about! Your pram looks lovely.

waves sorry to hear you are having such an awful time. Will you legal team do a home visit in your circumstances? I act for some very poorly people and would never dream of making them come and see me. M&S online is very good for personalised birthday cards.

abi lips produce so much blood, you can't believe that it can all come from such a small cut once it's all cleaned up! Hope she feels better.

Done such a lot today, visiting my Gran who is in a home, swimming lessons, football lesson, supermarket shop (fitted in getting my nails done though!). Baby bump was really sore by about 4pm. But DS had a fabulous report from school yesterday though, so we went out for fish and chips to celebrate - made it all feel a lot better!

20 + 2

This thread is not accepting new messages.