Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

June 2013 - thread 5

(995 Posts)
DontmindifIdo Thu 14-Mar-13 13:38:22

new thread! Jump on board!

pinkapples Tue 26-Mar-13 18:27:30

Oh I hadn't thought about waters breaking in bed blush just bought a 2000 pound new mattress so thinking will need to protect that just in case where will I get one from that big(kingsize) and when is everyone going to lay them? What if baby comes early

learnermummy Tue 26-Mar-13 18:42:31

pinkapples, the absorbent mats aren't as big as the whole bed, so you just put them under your sheet on your side. If you want to really protect the whole bed you'd need a waterproof mattress protector. Only problem with those is they can make you a bit sweaty I think.

redwellybluewelly Tue 26-Mar-13 19:05:04

We have mattress protectors on both the double and king size beds. They've saved the mattress from many indignities, all I hasten to add caused by DD! Early days of BFing I leaked constantly, especially during feeds, nappy leaks, sickness, then the D&V bugs etc. We coslept pretty much from getting home so our mattresses had to put up with a LOT!

redwellybluewelly Tue 26-Mar-13 19:06:20

Oh and I got one from blooming marvellous prior to it shutting down and another from dunelm mill. Cheapish and brilliant, wash and dry easily and not noticed any sweatiness as yet lol

pinkapples Tue 26-Mar-13 19:28:55

Anyone planning on watching one born every minute this week?

MrsBri Tue 26-Mar-13 20:14:33

Littlemiss, it is tomorrow for nappies...we just did a dash to Sainsbury's and bought another 242 nappies using mostly our 25 quid of Nectar points we had saved for the purpose!

We must have well over 1000 nappies now, I'd have thought :-)

redwellybluewelly Tue 26-Mar-13 20:48:43

OBEM this week has a baby pass away, so be warned it might be very very sad.

I've just written my hospital bag list, anyone want to play swopsies tomorrow if I post it? Reckon we can figure out amongst us a good list. Also starting a list on what food to get in so I can set up an online order as well as the few bits n pieces we need for #2.

MrsBri Tue 26-Mar-13 20:54:44

That's why I won't watch OBEM, redwelly...not keen on seeing stuff like that at all. Not something I want to think about right now. Or ever, particularly.

I'm going to pack my bag on Thursday, I think. No list written yet though!

redwellybluewelly Tue 26-Mar-13 21:01:19

I haven't watched it since the week before I had my DD, won't even watch an advert.

DH being surprisingly helpful re organising a list of food to eat

Mawgatron Tue 26-Mar-13 21:14:28

Still need to write a list for hospital. Knowing me it will be RIDICULOUS! Went to a festival last year and pretty muh took the entire world with me. I only live round the corner from the hospital and plan on mum and DH being with me so if I am desperate I can send one of them off for whatever I have forgotten.

One born will be sad, but just read up about it, baby had an issue that was raised at the 20 week scan, so I may watch it (if I am back from parents evening by then). It would make me more stressed if it was something that didn't come to light until after birth (ie, might happen to us). Obviously I am not naive enough to think that everything will def be ok, but I want to be as positive as poss! Do love watching it though.

Anyone else feeling impatient? Want him here NOW! DH is hoping for as long a wait as possible, but I want to experience it all as soon as poss (prob because i have no clue what i am in for). The anticipation is driving me a little bit potty. Only 11 and a bit weeks to go...

redwellybluewelly Tue 26-Mar-13 21:25:49

I've ten weeks to go. And nine until I finish work! Although baby will be here at 39weeks.

I don't watch OBEM on principle, there are a lot of issues in the maternity provision and I feel it doesn't raise awareness or help solve those. We did have an issue which was caused by negligence in delivery, had we just been a bit more confident and demanded a second opinion we wouldn't have spent two weeks in NICU. I think speaking up about stillbirth and neonatal death is important because its now completely taboo in our society and I applaud the parents who have done so this week.

I think this has been the first day where I want baby here rather than in my ribs! I now feel pregnant and huge.

redwellybluewelly Tue 26-Mar-13 21:27:15

Oh and I have list for my bag, babies bag, bag of spares in car and extras at home.

Me going into hospital needs to be planned with military precision round here.

Mrs Bri how many of what size have you got?
We now have 50x size 1 and 50x size 2. While they have 1/3 off i'm debating buying more size 2 or sone size 3.
Not sure yet if I'll watch obem.

redwellybluewelly Tue 26-Mar-13 22:18:12

Certainly used to be the case that supermarkets would exchange unopened packs of nappies for bigger sizes?

When I said 50 I meant 50 nappies, not packs btw!

MrsBri Tue 26-Mar-13 23:34:35

I've got almost half and half 1 and 2 with 180 3 as of this evening as there weren't many 2s left.

pinkapples Wed 27-Mar-13 06:56:05

Oh my goodness can't believe you've all started getting nappies etc think I need to start then

learnermummy Wed 27-Mar-13 07:19:56

I have only 2 packs Pink, and only because I wanted to bulk out my mothercare order to get free delivery smile.
You might want to experiment with different brands once baby's here to find out what you like best/ what is best fit on baby/ what suits their skin best.

MrsBri Wed 27-Mar-13 07:27:48

Oh dear...I was awake at 4 goading Baby B into moving as he had a quiet night last night! Good news is that it worked :-) Poor baby though.

If he's quiet today I'll drink a sugar laden drink! Though he's probably exhausted after his utterly manic weekend and Monday, and catching up on rest and therefore won't thank me. Oops.

I'm just stocking up on essentials while I'm on full salary so I don't have to spend too much of my maternity money on stuff. Our cupboards are bursting in the nursery!

cyclecamper Wed 27-Mar-13 07:47:12

So far I only have spare disposables that were given me- mostly size 3 but a few size 1s. I have a lot of washables though. I'll buy a packet of small disposables closer to the time, when there is a clue about how big the baby is going to be. No point spending money and filling the house with size one if it is 10lbs and goes straight in size 3!

I've started packing a hospital bag-I need to think about what I really need as we don't have a car that I can leave things in. I think I will pack assuming that I will be straight out and leave a bag at home with stuff for longer if necessary.

Midwife this afternoon:-).

MrsBri Wed 27-Mar-13 08:07:13

My nephew was 9lb 14oz and was in size 2 for a while, my sister tells me.

And I'm still hoping shops will swap nappies anyway!

pinkapples Wed 27-Mar-13 08:31:31

Just phoned the midwife to let her know I've been exposed to chicken pox (nursery life I guess) so have to get a blood test today to check immunity happy days!

Will I need a receipt to exchange nappy size?
While the offer is on I might get another couple of packs today.
Also got the mw today. Not sure what to expect at 28 wk appt, is it blood tests today? Also getting my whooping cough jab. Hopefully mw can tell me what position this lo is.
P.s today is my Friday woohoo!!!

Forgot to ask I need mw advice. After today my next mw appt was meant to be at 31 weeks but due to work commitments I was booked for 32 weeks instead. She left a message yesterday saying she needs to change it as booking some days off so she can see me week after instead (33weeks). My appt after that is 34 weeks. Should I try to see if another mw can see me or do you think I will be ok with no appt between 28-33 weeks. I thought if nice guidelines say 28,31,34 then there must be a reason?!

MrsBri Wed 27-Mar-13 09:11:17

My midwife said that it is fine if everything is straight forward, as the bank holidays screw mine up. Said they would arrange to see you sooner if any inkling of an issue.

Not sure about the receipt. I'm trying to keep them just in case.

Today is my Friday too :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now