Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

June 2013 - thread 5

(995 Posts)
DontmindifIdo Thu 14-Mar-13 13:38:22

new thread! Jump on board!

I'm here!!

Just noticed the July club are in thread 6, I thought we talked a lot!!

curiousgeorgie Thu 14-Mar-13 13:45:19

My antenatal thread when I had DD was only 2 threads long for the whole pg and births! We do talk a lot smile

DontmindifIdo Thu 14-Mar-13 13:46:53

Ha - the July lot are obviously chatty!

Blinky re your work issues, if you can put your annual leave on the start, do that. I'm finding it hard at work now - I've got 6 weeks to go, but only work 3 days a week. I've got Easter in that so one of those weeks is only 2 days, and I have 2 other holiday days left to take - think I'll make another couple of weeks 2 day weeks as well.

I'm also feeling quite low and depressed. Feeling really frumpy, not on top of things at all at home. I have a history of depression so trying to make sure I keep an eye on myself. My view is to be as kind to yourself as you can be. If you can't take your annual leave to start your mat leave early, can you split it up so you're only working part time between now and going off?

Oh, and I know 2 woman who started mat leave at 29 weeks, but then both of them had no intention of going back so weren't worried about using up time before the baby came leaving them with little at the end.

DontmindifIdo Thu 14-Mar-13 13:48:23

curiousGeorgie - saw your PIL trauma thread - really, stand your ground on that one, I think options of "pay for accomodation" (perhaps with you and DH offering to go halves) or "delay the work until July/August when SIL & BIL will have a spare room again" are the best options.

curiousgeorgie Thu 14-Mar-13 13:54:14

It's not terrific Thursday after all wink

There is going to be The Biggest Row Ever when DH gets in!

X

forgetmenots Thu 14-Mar-13 13:57:53

Give us an extra month and we will be on a new thread too no doubt ;) some of the months were dead quiet though, must be a baby boom!

DontmindifIdo Thu 14-Mar-13 14:00:51

curious - I'm looking forward to the update - have you thought of big salty tears about how he doesn't care about you and bump? That he'd rather <sob> put his parents saving some money <sob> over if you can <sob> establish breast feeding his new baby <sob> and <sob> surely your DC's health is more important than their bank balance <completely break down in floods of tears>

I don't cry much, I hold it back for really big issues as normally DH will agree to anything to make me stop - it's worth getting the nuclear options out for this one...

DontmindifIdo Thu 14-Mar-13 14:01:48

oh yes, just you wait until mat leave starts! We'll never shut up!

DontmindifIdo Thu 14-Mar-13 14:02:46

BTW - has anyone seen some none bankrupting gender nutural black out curtains anywhere?

Marking place now I'm back from the hospital - 2 1/2 hours for 28 week blood tests and an anti-d injection shock

learnermummy Thu 14-Mar-13 15:07:37

Marking my place too.
Feel like I might be getting cystitis today. Never really suffered before, is that something the doctor can sort does anyone know?

suzyrut Thu 14-Mar-13 15:08:40

Must be the day for hospital appointments, had my 28 week consultant appoitment today too and it looks like I will be having a May rather than June baby as blood pressure has gone up with some PE symptoms. Will see the consultant every week from now which is a real faff as it's at the hospital. He said he's hoping to induce at 37 weeks (mid may) but could be before if the blood pressure tablets I'll be starting on in a couple of weeks don't work or I get more symptoms. Just considring my mat leave options as he said he would sign me off when I start tablets so can save my mat leave but feel a bit like it's cheating as I know about it already!

Oh and joy of joys my hospital are now expecting us to reuse our sample bottles by steralising then refilling for the next appointment! Cost saving or eco-friendly I don't know but I have a bottle of "sample" in my handbag (they're not allowed to empty them down the sink for you) which I really must go sort out!

collector I've got SPD (goodness am sounding like a real whinger!) and have been seeing an Osteopath who speciaises in ante and post natal and has helped massively with it, not cheap but worth every penny.

Hope everyone's Thursday's get better soon, will read your thread curious xx

Sunbeam18 Thu 14-Mar-13 15:12:21

Cystitis is a pest, learner. Get an appointment with your GP now to get treatment. I've not had it during pregnancy but have had it lots in 'normal' life. Antibiotics usually best to stop it in it's tracks, not sure what happens during pregnancy re solution though. Meantime, drink cranberry juice. X

AmIGoingMad Thu 14-Mar-13 15:19:41

Sounds like we really are heading into third trimester with a bang! Sorry to hear people are having such crappy times, physically and mentally. I'm not too bad physically at the moment but mentally I'm struggling too. I'm just so tired and have so much to do for work its really getting on top of me. I'd been feeling much better since jan but I'm bk in the I'm a rubbish wife/housekeeper/teacher/everything phase. I'm desperate for a time machine already- how on earth will I manage this with two dc?!

Sorry- panicked rant over!
In more positive news, DS is speaking loads now which is brilliant, baby is moving loads, my mum is babysitting for me to spend an hour or so out with DH tonight and I just won the changebag I was after on eBay. So life isn't that bad I suppose, just totally overwhelming!

ella0 Thu 14-Mar-13 15:25:46

I haven't posted for a while as I haven't had much to say. I've just had my 28 week appointment (and blood tests) too and everything is fine. I can't believe how fast time is flying. Luckily we've bought everything we need, we just need to get the nursery decorated now.

redwellybluewelly Thu 14-Mar-13 15:27:11

Oh yes the third trimester does seem to have hit hard!

Guntie Thu 14-Mar-13 15:28:20

Hi Ladies... Hoping to join this thread if I may. Currently 26 weeks and looking for some company!

Learnermummy I would get to the doctors ASAP. Sounds like it could be a UTI and you need antibiotics asap to get it sorted. I get them all the time... Good Luck!

AlohaMama Thu 14-Mar-13 15:35:46

Just marking place as I catch up over breakfast.
Suzy grin at reusing sample bottles. Visions of lots of ladies going round with forgotten pots of pee in their handbags...

Sorry to hear everyone is feeling so down and all the work struggles. I'm a bit exhaustedthis week, but just cos busy at work and have to work 5 d instead of the usual 4. Tbh finding it hard to engage in work atm as the chance of us moving back to England and therefore leaving my job after baby's born is looking increasingly likely. Sadly I can't totally check out as we've got a really busy period just before due date and I'm the only one who knows my job area.

Oh well, weekend is nearly here smile

AlohaMama Thu 14-Mar-13 15:37:00

X posted - welcome guntie!

Withalittlesparkle Thu 14-Mar-13 15:58:46

Marking place! Zer

Actually I was going to say earlier - there was a lady at the MAU this morning who had been urgently referred by her health visitor, she thought she might be about 7 months pregnant but wasn't sure, and had had no antenatal care at all until today shockshockshock

The 1st MW couldn't understand why she'd turned up with no green notes, and must have asked for them about a million times grin but the 2nd seemed more on the ball and was busy getting her urgent referrals for blood tests, scans etc sorted! It did make me wonder why you would wait so long to access any care though - she had older children so I wonder whether it was a deliberate choice or not.

Sarah2506 Thu 14-Mar-13 17:32:26

Binky you are obviously a Civil Servant too - which Dept? I've had some difficulties with work too. I'm at DWP, though am actually moving tomorrow. I have an excellent relationship with my immediate LM and issues with my G5. I manage this in my head by thinking that I could leave tomorrow, but I'm not going to! I think that sometimes you need to separate out the being pregnant from the how you feel. If you felt as you do now but weren't pregnant then what would you do? If it was take some time sick then why not do that now? Our T&Cs are such that we are only compelled to take mat leave if sick within 4 weeks of expected date. Ahead of that its sick leave, and it doesn't go on your permanant record. So why not do that? If your role is such that the world will end if you aren't there then there will HAVE to be a Plan B to cover you.

I make this point as once you have started mat leave you can't go back. So if you are suddenly feeling a whole lot more positive after 2 weeks then you might then think it was a waste to start mat leave ahead of time.

I think the decision about when to leave is entirely personal, based a lot on money though! A friend did have a very rich husband and left at 30 weeks. She really regretted it. She said she hadn't distinguished between needing a recharge and needing to start maternity leave, and used it to escape a work situation she didn't want to be in. She had her baby early at 37 weeks and said it was such a relief, otherwise she could have spent 3 months bored out of her mind. She reckons 3 weeks is ideal.

I reckon the July thread is busy as they spend a lot of time trying to work out which of them is the Duchess of Cambridge. Bet she isn't thinking about money / who will decorate the nursery / when to finish work / whether DH deserves a blow job / hand job / shag:-)

SunnyL Thu 14-Mar-13 17:44:40

I'd echo Sarah. I've had the week off this week to do the garden up. As it snowed heavily at the weekend I've ended up doing very little. Work is manic at the moment and I was beginning to spend most of my time making lists of how on earth I was going to fit all this work in the time remaining. I ended up going in to work this afternoon as last week I was so stressed I didn't think I could justify taking the whole week off. However going in this afternoon I managed to breeze through a task tht I thought would take me hours and hours. I truly think this is because I've had a break and a chance to de-stres. I'm planning on going on until 37 weeks but I've got another week booked off in April so really I'm only working 3 weeks at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now