Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 - Thread 6: cankles, bumps, strangely placed lumps, the glamours of pregnancy go on and on

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Wed 13-Mar-13 11:32:52

New thread to natter away on.

Link to waddlers and riders and stats list here

Mystery DS was breech last time at around 20 ish weeks, he was head down by birth and they said that it's normal at that point as they still have lots of room. I spent a lot of time on all fours though as it's the only way I could get comfy. This one is sideways this time too.

Dinky I haven't really been well the past couple of days, feverish and have been sick and nauseous. GP checked the heartbeat the other day and the baby was fine. I'll drink some more and see how things go, she told me to get attention if I have any bleeding. Just bloody painful at the moment, making me lose my breath.

SlouchingPanda Fri 15-Mar-13 16:24:19

Schro did your GP check for a urine infection? Women don't always have the classic symptoms in pregnancy, and they can cause tightenings. I realise this isn't perhaps the most helpful thing to post on a Friday afternoon, but if you are still feverish, unwell and in pain I would want it ruled out. Maybe out of hours GP might be worth a call if you're not improving? Keep us posted.

In other news, I hope it gets warm soon because I can barely do up my big geeky anorak. I was thinking one advantage of a spring/summer pregnancy would be not having to buy a maternity coat!

23+1

elliejjtiny Fri 15-Mar-13 17:05:37

Shro thanks for the reassurance and glad the SW you saw was sensible. I ended up chatting to a mum at school today about the HV and turns out she is her HV as well so we had a good old moan about her together. I've always had quite painful braxton hicks as well, maybe it's an EDS thing.

mystery my baby was transverse at my last scan (3 weeks ago). DS2 was breech at the 20 week scan and DS3 kept going between breech and transverse. He was 3/5 engaged at 34 weeks and I thought he was going to come out but he unengaged himself. All mine were head down in the end, I think it's only at 34-36 weeks that they worry about positioning.

Ellie hope all is ok, must be v worrying.
Ama I've been feeling the same heavy feeling in bottom of uterus and it's been worrying me - never occurred to me it could be BH?
We're off to Portugal in April too, but have invited friends from Geneva who we never see - they also have an 18 month old so not quite the baby-free last holiday we'd initially thought about! Hopefully it'll be good practice...
Love the sound of the postnatal NCT persuasion, it seems that there are only antenatal ones in all of greater Manchester though :-( Surely as one of the biggest cities we should have them!
bigbelly now I NEED some strawberry laces. But not tomatoes. You can keep them grin
totally I've put on at least 3 pounds this week from evening bingeing alone, and 11 since booking - hardly have time to eat at work then can't stop once I'm near my kitchen. Need to curb it, I'll be huge at this rate as I've heard we're only meant to put on 1 pound a week from now on? Also large amounts of it are chocolate based. Am concerned that I'll give myself gestational diabetes with the amount of sugar I'm consuming.
slouching I thought the same about coats - have had to get one as it's so cold! Only £20 in new look online sale though.

Oops always forget 22+3

Slouching Good idea, I just finished antibiotics the other day for a urine infection and I have actually been getting pain in one side of my back so it is definitely possible that I still have the UTI, thanks for that. I need to phone for blood results on Monday so if it's still the same I will ask again.

Pg in summer is really good for clothes, I just lived in dresses last time, so easy and comfy.

Ellie Nothing like a good moan about the HV! grin I'm sure everything will work out okay, you have a lot documented and the school should be able to vouch for you aswell.

I was told last pg that I have a tilted uterus so that could have something to do with it too, wasn't nearly as bad as this last time though so could be a culmination of everything. <sigh>

Guavas I think that may be the same coat I've had my eye on! Does it have a furry collar? I hope you enjoy your holiday, 18 month olds are quite fun, it wont be like having a 6 month old there.

Thinkingof4 Fri 15-Mar-13 19:26:21

Goodness so much to catch up on again
notprincess tricky trying to work out when to start mat leave in that situation, surely your work can wait a few weeks more?

bigbelly from strawberry laces to tomatoes is quite a jump!

Tom does your wee one like soft play? Quite good to kill an hour or so on a wet day, I've found quite a small one near me that's good for younger ones and have been going quite a lot recently

slouching I'm struggling to do the zip on my waterproof jacket now so I definitely need sunshine soon

Can't remember any other specific posts just now and on phone
Re the munchies I'm really good all day eating healthy stuff then evening comes and it's all crisps/chocolate/biscuits! Not good but if I don't eat in evenings I'm so hungry by morning that I feel sick.
Such a busy week at work, I'm soooo happy it's Friday night again!
24+3

emblosion Fri 15-Mar-13 19:43:24

dinky that gite sounds great, ds is only 9 months tho so I reckon we'll be staying in Ireland or maybe venturing to the mainland . (I am not now googling holidays in France, ohnono grin

Haven't caught up fully with the thread but I didn't want to forget to reply! Right I'm off to read the rest!

dinkystinky Fri 15-Mar-13 20:20:23

Maybe one to remember for 2014 Emblosion.

Tom - local library or museums good for raising days in our house. Wellies and raincoats and pretending to be peppa and George pig splashing in muddy puddles were also popular when the kids were toddlers.

dinkystinky Fri 15-Mar-13 20:22:04

Rainy days not raising days!

Hi everyone.

Re: dry hands. One thing I've found that can help is to smother your hands in oil then slip on a pair of plastic gloves for a while (so you don't get oil everywhere). Any kind if oil will do - olive oil or whatever.

Had a long, busy day at work today. So glad it's the weekend! Looking forward to watching the rugby and relaxing.

Thanks schro, she is a cutie so it should be fun. She only speaks French though and mine is basic at best, could present a problem...
I liked the furry collar one but went for the short quilted jacket instead, seemed more spring like. Now tempted to go back and get that one, such a bargain!

TomDaleysTrunks Fri 15-Mar-13 21:25:46

Thanks all. Yep soft play is popular here and we did painting and baking this afternoon. However, DD was in a completely miserable mood so today has been bloody hard work. My mum is coming up tomorrow to help out as DH working all weekend - hooray!! So whinge over and out!

trustissues75 Sat 16-Mar-13 07:08:37

Hi all

Ive gotten hugely behind with this thread again!

Ellie - hope it all gets sorted out with the HV - Im considering saying thank you but no thank you to having an HV since I hear nothing but bad reports about them.

Shro - hope this grts sorted out for you re possible continuing UTI!

All is well here - baby girl nugget really enjoys using my bladder as a tambourine and I seem to have "blossomed" since last weekend. My nesting instinct has kicked in: I have this overwhelming urge to organise!

AmaDablam Sat 16-Mar-13 07:38:15

Morning all!

Ellie really glad you got some reassurance from your GP about the things the HV was saying. Schro your story sounded pretty awful too. I think there is a lot of back covering going on with HV's, probably as a result of things getting missed in the past and children ending up getting seriously hurt as a result - now some of them seem to be going too far the other way. Fortunately, as in Schro's case, Social Workers do tend to have things more in perspective - sadly there are all too many genuine cases of serious neglect/abuse that need investigating...trustissues I don't think HVs are all bad and from what a lot of my friends have said they wouldn't have been without theirs, so I personally wouldn't want to go down the route of not having one.

Ellie I find the best thing for dry hands is that Norwegian Formula cream. I keep leaving mine at work though, so I quite often just stick a on bit of good old fashioned Palmer's cocoa butter cream which I have for my bump, and that seems to work almost as well!

Like many others I am craving the sweet stuff. Cheesecake is a particular favourite - can't seem to get enough of it!

We're off to an NCT baby first aid course this morning, followed by a nearly new sale. Not sure I am looking forward to the latter as I've heard they can be a bit manic - I'm more of a browse-and-think-carefully-before-buying person than a grab-it-before-its-gone impulse buyer so I don't think it will suit my shopping style at all - but as we're there anyway I feel I should stay and have a look.

21+6

mysterymeg Sat 16-Mar-13 10:18:29

Thanks for the reassurance schro dinky and ellie I thought that would be the case but was getting worried anyway. Pregnancy is so illogical!

DH finally felt kicks this morning. He admitted he thinks he may have felt things for tge last week but didn't want to say in case he was wrong hmm. I was starting to worry about his sense of touch as I can see little one moving around in there now!

23 + 1

Abzs Sat 16-Mar-13 10:46:09

My DH has never felt a thing, even when it feels to me like Small is auditioning for Riverdance. As soon as he touches the bump all goes quiet.

Hopefully the calming influence will last...

I SAW a kick for the first time on Thurs. That was a bit freaky, but exciting too.

Just had a delivery of clothing from New Look. Skirt, trousers, leggings and thin jumper top. Have yet to to wear them properly, but will report on the staying-up-ableness etc. Trousers will clearly require turning up though.

dinkystinky Sat 16-Mar-13 12:34:31

Ugh, this weather is grim, grim, grim! Today has been taken up with ds2 doing a trial hip hop class and footie (indoors thank god) and ds1 doing drama (he got a narrator role in the big play next term and is super excited). Hoping I can persuade DH to take the boys to their swimming classes this afternoon so I don't have to venture out again! Our lovely doula is coming round this evening so may spend this afternoon baking nice stuff to eat...

Hope you enjoy your course and the sale Aka and that you're happy with your new mat wear Abzs. You will find shortly that your whole bump changes shape and size as the baby moves round - really rather surreal....

dinkystinky Sat 16-Mar-13 12:35:06

Sorry aka was meant to be Ama - Fricking autocorrect!

dinkystinky Sat 16-Mar-13 12:38:30

Trust - HVs where I lived when I had Ds1 were lovely - kind, supportive, very approachable. Hvs where I live now were not so great after having ds2 - one put the fear of hod in me over milk spots being a viral rash instead - so am more than happy to keep them at arms length and would much rather speak with experts I know and trust instead (gp, lactation consultant, etc).

How was the NCT sale, Ama? I'm thinking about braving one in a few weeks, but my shopping style sounds a lot like yours, so I don't know if I'm really cut out for it!

dinky an afternoon baking sounds perfect. I don't think I trust myself to bake anything at the moment because I have no self control and would eat everything I made.

trustissues75 Sat 16-Mar-13 13:03:10

Hey dinky

I've never had to deal with HV's but all I ever hear is overreactions, minimising of mums feelings and oodles of conflicting advice...they often seem to muddy rather than filter the post partum waters. I think that coupled with my extreme distrust of people in a position of power over me (past experiences of people on power trips etc.) I'm really really wary of having one. My midwife commented that I hadn't indicated a history of depression in my HV forms and I told her straight that I didn't want HV meddling in something she is likely to not know that much about and that I'm well versed in knowing when I need help and where to get it - MW kind of made noises of agreement. I suppose, like all professionals out there who only see a snapshot of you, you can end up with a really mixed bag - some great, some not so great, some bloody useless and some just plain frightening - the, a little knowledge is dangerous adage comes to mind

SlouchingPanda Sat 16-Mar-13 14:03:08

Dinky, an afternoon baking sounds like just the thing for a rainy afternoon. I could be tempted myself, but my afternoon of going back to sleep under my new down duvet is pretty perfect too! In my defence, I am limbering up for a run of 6 x 12h nightshifts so I need all the rest I can get!

Are you feeling any better, Schro?

This weekend's fun & games (apart from working sad) invoke picking up a load of maternity clothes and - wait for it - a puschair/travel system from a colleague. It's a Brittax Vigour 3+ for a bargain price, so figure we can try it and if it's a massive disaster we'll upgrade to something else once we know what features we do/don't like. Given my puschair shopping-phobia this feels like a big leap forward!

Enjoy your weekends, all!

trustissues75 Sat 16-Mar-13 18:16:53

Anyone got recommendations for favourite maternity wear at reasonable prices?

Supershiv1 Sat 16-Mar-13 18:22:21

totally & ama I went to an NCT sale today. Half hour after opening ad I wasn't brave enough for a scrum. It was ok but I am glad I was half hr late as there seemed to be plenty of people in there still and big queues for the tills.
Bought some clothes (including a bundle of 10 boys tops for £8 that look brand new and include a Ralph Lauren top that we saw in TK Maxx for £14 alone!!!), socks, little dungaree outfit, sleepsuits & more for £21.50 in total.
Most embarrassing thing was I was 15p short at the till blush but the woman subbed me!!!!
There was loads of buggies, slings, bedding etc and would have got a sling if I had done my research before.
People were literally filling car boots - definite bargains to be had for the brave!

This thread is not accepting new messages.