Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 - Thread 6: cankles, bumps, strangely placed lumps, the glamours of pregnancy go on and on

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Wed 13-Mar-13 11:32:52

New thread to natter away on.

Link to waddlers and riders and stats list here

dinkystinky Thu 14-Mar-13 21:32:01

Hopefully thinking, totally, vinegar or slouching will be able to answer that question. Given the uncertainty by 25 weeks your plan re chatting to your boss sounds a good one notprincesskate.

bigbelly4 Thu 14-Mar-13 21:49:34

Totally, sorry about the laces craving! If its any help tonights craving is tomatos! Slightly random but there we go, welcome to my world!

Yes my mums reaction was a bit unexpected on both counts!

Beginningofthejourney Thu 14-Mar-13 21:55:01

princess I can't remember if my work said if your off sick from 34 or 36 weeks they can make you take mat leave, think it was 36?! Sorry baby brain strikes again!

SlouchingPanda Thu 14-Mar-13 22:38:59

NotPrincessKate I'm pretty sure that in my trust sick leave after 36 weeks automatically starts your maternity leave. Not sure if it's the same everywhere though.

Hopefully your boss will be understanding - pregnancy and childbirth are so full of uncertainty, it's crazy that we have to be so specific about things when the reality might be very different.

23+0 - another week down!

NotanOtter Thu 14-Mar-13 23:40:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

photographerlady Fri 15-Mar-13 06:48:17

<removed>I am in the same boat. I am eating far far too much and some reason my snacking is all the wrong choices. You know when I was back on WW I eat loads but healthy things and no it's like I can not get enough muffins, cake and popcorn.

Was making my grocery list and heading over tonight make hearty meals like gumbo/stew, fresh hummous, lots of total Greek yoghurt with frozen berries in it all weekend. Some really filling foods so I stop eating junk.

Morning all! I handed in my MAT1B form yesterday (a copy) and asked HR to email me a confirmation that its approved. Last day the 31st of May for my annual leave and then Mat Leave starts the 4th of July (due date July 15) so hopefully that will work out right. I can't wait the 1 hour 30 commute to London is okay but rather be in the garden enjoying the sunshine smile

Supershiv1 Fri 15-Mar-13 07:38:09

Ssshhhhh........ I think I might have the pregnancy 'glow'. 2 people commented how well I looked yesterday and despite creme eggs and strawberry laces I am over a kilo less than when I got pregnant.
The slight tan might help as well.

BadmissM I see that B&F maternity are being sued again.

PhieEl06 Fri 15-Mar-13 08:24:51

Morning all, just catching up at work, sorry if I miss any personals out!!

notprincess sorry to hear about the health & pregnancy problems but it's nice to hear your getting a good level of care!

totally I have awful munchies 24/7, I wake up hungry eat & then don't stop until I go to bed on a night, my OH is disgusted by me haha! & Photographer joining you on being very unhealthy, seems my craving is anything sweet & sugary, mainly hundreds of cherry bakewells!

OH felt kicks for the first time last night!! We got so so excited! Especially after I spent all day worrying because I hadn't been having strong kicks yet & the I remembered reading my notes that I think I have an anterior placenta, but they were at home, surprise surprise the sonographer didn't mention this too me when I went for my awful scan! But last night oh my they were strong, made me feel all weird but it was a lovely moment! Is it just me being hormonal getting emotional about this haha!
Also had my so called best friend apologising to me last night over how much of a shit friend she's been, she's only just realised after a month & a half, she's only bothered with me lately when I have had a scan or something baby-related coming up, she didn't even know I was having a girl, so when she found out off another friend she text me to congratulate me & I just let loose. Hmm I am extremely hormonal at the moment!!
21+6

dinkystinky Fri 15-Mar-13 09:13:27

My friend had her twins yesterday - 2 gorgeous little redheads! Cant wait to meet them.

Photographer - v exciting that you've got your mat leave and AL dates all sorted. Fingers crossed sunshine arrives by then.

Totally, Photographer, Phie and others hungry all the time - dont sweat it, from memory in the third trimester my appetitite really waned and I had to force myself to eat little and often (digestive system got really sluggish and not much space in there behind baby so not that hungry). So enjoy it while you're in the mood to eat - but make healthy choices at least 70% of the time so you can enjoy the treats as treats. Oddly in this pregnancy I've been craving veggie stuff more than usual - lots of babaganoush, tricolore salads etc. And seem to have put on more weight than in either of my other 2 pregnancies by this stage. Go figure...

Phie - congrats on OH feeling kicks. DH felt Bean kicking for first time this morning too - even though I've been feeling movements for a while Bean gets v shy around DH for some reason.

I'm feeling a bit yuck this morning. In order to stop myself munching through an entire box of granola bars again last night, I tucked into some crisps. Before I knew it, an entire multipack had gone! Eating in the dark in front of the tv is dangerous. I have a bit of a nasty crisp aftertaste this morning. Strangely enough though, I weighed myself this morning and I've only put on 2kg since booking. I'm sure it'll catch up with me soon......

photographerlady Fri 15-Mar-13 09:48:39

oh dinkystinky I wish I had a good babaganoush recipe smile

dinkystinky Fri 15-Mar-13 09:57:37

cant go wrong with good old Nige

photographerlady Fri 15-Mar-13 11:08:21

thanks dinky will add it to my shop for hummus, falafel and flatbread ingredients for the weekend smile If its just going to rain I might as well cook up a storm. yum.

elliejjtiny Fri 15-Mar-13 12:17:15

Can't remember who said what now but (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Talked to the GP yesterday who said that worst case senario re the bruises is that HV will contact SS who will make a note of it but only take it further if they get other reports about my children. Thankfully all DS1's injuries seem to happen at school so are documented in the accident book and DS2 is so scared of falling over that he is always really careful about looking where he is going. It's only DS3 who just charges into things. The GP also said she would ask the HV to ring me and clarify everything but she didn't, grr. Feel a bit better about it all although annoyed that I have been blamed for something out of my control.

Does anyone know anything good for dry skin? My hands are really dry, cracked and sore at the moment.

24+0 (doing the viability dance!)

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Mar-13 12:24:44

Hello
Just doing a bit of tidying here have made a few amends to protect a posters anonymity.

dinkystinky Fri 15-Mar-13 12:35:42

How odd Olivia - think it was the deleted posters first ever post on this thread too and seemed totally innocuous.

Ellie - glad GP was supportive and helpful. Neutrogena intensive good for really dry hands - as is using rubber gloves to do washing up. Try yo wear gloves when out and keep properly moisturised through the day.

Really bored at work as my three main deals are on go slow.

PhieEl06 Fri 15-Mar-13 12:52:57

Recommend Nivea Express Hydration ellie, my hands look like my nans at the moment.
dinky me too! Waiting for everyone to get back to me, seems they're on a go slow today, enjoying it with my feet up, MN & amaretti biscuits!

TomDaleysTrunks Fri 15-Mar-13 12:57:21

Hmmm my post failed.
Anyway I was moaning about rain, bored toddlers and husbands working all weekend. What to do in this terrible weather?

NotPrincess Hope everything works out okay for you, it sounds like they are taking very good care of you though! smile

Ellie It sounds like they will probably just shut the case then? I think this is the worst fear for anyone with HMS/EDS. Especially as a lot of people don't understand that ignorant HCPs can cause a lot of damage by not looking into things properly. sad <<hugs>>

When I was pg with DS, I was in agony due to hips subluxing (along with knees, shoulders and elbows) daily. Everything was fine and my consultant was really supportive, then one day I went to an appt and my consultant was there and so was a MW. MW seen me in tears and decided she was referring me to social services as I "wasn't coping", consultant and I explained to her that it was because of the pain which was due to a medical condition and would resolve somewhat after the birth and there was no worries about me with a child etc. MW refused to listen and said "well sometimes people slip through the net and tragedies happen". angry I was terrified but the SW came out to see me, I was meant to see her the day after DS was born but I didn't go to the appt as he was in SCBU and I wanted to see him. She phoned me and came out to see me later and said she was closing the case and gave me the details of the MW to complain and even found out her name for me! They aren't all bad and a lot of them do realise when their time is being wasted. x

Sorry about that mammoth post btw!

<<hugs>> to everyone else who needs them too. smile And my driving lesson went great! It was so much fun, I can't wait till the next one.

TomDaley I have a bored and easily overtired toddler here too, I'm feeling really ill and have been fevery the past couple of days so I'm really struggling. SIL is taking DS this weekend though (they take him every second weekend to see him and give me and DP some "us" time). Will be spending it sleeping, watching horror movies and eating a ton of cheese!

Burts bees hand cream is brilliant, I love it.

For anyone who's getting lots of dry skin/spots, the neutrogena facial clean exo brush thing is brilliant and only £5, my skin feels and looks a ton better and getting a little glow now I have sorted out the dryness!

Quinandthem Fri 15-Mar-13 13:25:11

Hi Everyone,

Glad we all seem to be doing better.

I've just had my midwife check (24+6) and she was happy how things are progressing. actually measured the bump and got to listen to the heartbeat again. she felt the baby and said it (we're still team yellow) had its head down - so it must be head buts i'm feeling down there... as not feeling too much else as i have an anterior placenta.

not very good at stopping eating, bought a 4 pack of (small) hotcross buns the other day, and just because i knew they were there i ended up eating them one after another - which is bad even for me.

esme80 Fri 15-Mar-13 13:51:26

schro am v jealous of you having your sil taking ds for weekend! Enjoy!

Im not getting spots but have very dry, red and blotchy skin on my face. Dont know if anything I can do? Or jst accept and either put lots of makeup on when going out. Or scare people...

Esme I know, we're very lucky that they do take him, they live right next to MIL and FIL so they like the chance to get them all together as they are about 12 miles from us and we don't drive and they work a lot.

That's pretty much the same as my skin, it was really getting me down but that brush thing works wonders. Woman at Illamasqua counter told me to use a heavy moisturiser at night and will see a difference and I have!

Quin I have an anterior placenta as well but the movements have gotten really strong at points, I think it must be headbutts too, feels like he's using my cervix as a trampoline. hmm

Don't worry about getting the munchies sometimes, I sat and ate a full tub of philly the other day with half a pack of breadsticks. I haven't put any weight on yet by some miracle.

These cramps have started again and are really quite painful, I can actually feel the tightenings. confused

mysterymeg Fri 15-Mar-13 14:31:46

Got a question ladies. I had my rescan yesterday and baby was in the same position as three weeks ago - lying transverse with spine curled round the top and limbs dangling down towards thecervix. Baby is obviously comfy like this but it's an odd position. Is it still likely that they will be head down for birth or should the baby be like that already?

23 + 0

dinkystinky Fri 15-Mar-13 14:39:01

No need to worry just yet mysterymeg - if you want to encourage baby to head down, try optimal foetal positioning (you can Google it but its basically get on all fours, stick bum in air, fold arms on floor and rest your head on your arms) regularly and ensure hips are always higher then knees when seated.

Schro - braxton hicks shouldn't be that painful - are you well hydrated or run down? Try changing position, having a bath etc and see if they stop - if not call mW for advice.

This thread is not accepting new messages.