Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

July 2013 - Thread 6: cankles, bumps, strangely placed lumps, the glamours of pregnancy go on and on

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Wed 13-Mar-13 11:32:52

New thread to natter away on.

Link to waddlers and riders and stats list here

PhieEl06 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:04:50

persuassion hopefully so! grin
Thank you dinky, it isn't that one no, he didn't get that I wonder why but this one is much better suited to him & in IT which is something he really wants to get in to. He did manage to lock himself out of his car again though on saturday, 2 times in under 2 weeks is something pretty erm special?!

Hope everyone is having a lovely Monday, I unfortunately have a very tiring day as I am at work till half 4 then doing a half 5 half 9 at my other job, only 5 more shifts of that left though! grin

photographerlady Mon 08-Apr-13 14:22:39

hey ladies, been a but MIA today. Booming headache and tummy pain, to top it all off I have felt much movement in the last 2 days. I am trying to not think about it so much because I have felt ache and rubbish. Anyone else had something similar. I hate to bug my midwife if I'm just coming down with a flu sad

Thinkingof4 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:34:17

Obviously I've not posted for a while as this thread had dropped off my TIO. We are on holiday for a few days up north, we woke up yesterday morning to snow and everything completely white. It was pretty spectacular actually but only lasted a few hours. Sun has come out now and temperature up to a heady 7 degrees so we are off out for a walk as soon as ds3 wakes from his nap. We are staying near aviemore so lots of lovely forest trails etc, which the boys all love.
I'm really slowing down though and cant really manage any hills. I always forget how short of breath I get in last trimester.

Sorry no personals as I'm on my phone

Cutandstick Mon 08-Apr-13 14:50:23

photographer I hope you start to feel better - but what's the harm in calling your midwife - for reassurance over the phone or for her to have a listen?
Although baby is clearly currently training for a marathon or something I had a couple of quiet days last week - but it did wriggle when I lay on my side - which made me feel better at the time. It's been much happier now I'm taking things a bit easier and doing more sleeping than is social (also feeling a bit pants) and has resumed movement with gusto and I suspect it may be awake more than I am now... so TAKE IT EASY! smile

BB01 Mon 08-Apr-13 16:48:39

Photographer, hope you feel better soon and it's just a mild cold or one of those things. Re the movement, have you tried a very cold sugary drink and lying on your side? It works for me when the movement seems to have died down a bit. Can take an hour or so though. If you're worried call the midwife - it's what they're there for! (I understand your reluctance though as it can be hard not to call about every niggle!!).

shelley72 Mon 08-Apr-13 17:50:36

photographer i too have a headache and tummy pains today so maybe there is a bug going round. but for goodness sake phone DAU or the midwife if you're worried about no movement - they would much rather that you bothered them for a listen in than you sit there worrying. hopefully you are with the midwife now getting it checked out...

photographer I hope you've called your midwife & been reassured. There's no harm calling.

AmaDablam Tue 09-Apr-13 07:41:26

Hope you're feeling better this morning Photographer and have had some reassurance about lack of movement.

I have my 25 week MW appointment this morning and am going to try and pin her down on this movement thing as there seems to be so much differing advice out there. I certainly feel something every day, but seem to have quiet days where I can go hours without anything, followed by just a few gentle prods, then other days where she seems to be kicking for England! Just as I'm starting to be a little concerned she seems to have one of her active sessions so I haven't sought any advice as yet, but no idea what is normal. Some books say that the movements should have settled into a kind of pattern by now, but I can't say that I'm seeing one!

Have a good day everyone....

25+2

MightBeMad Tue 09-Apr-13 08:21:55

Morning all!

Photographer, hope you are feeling better!

Ama, I always think it's really only the third tri you settle into patterns. Before then (and indeed after) I just err on the side of caution and if you're concerned, get checked. What's the worst that could happen? You get a grumpy midwife who's having a bad day and is a bit unpleasant. Well, I'd 'happily' (not the right word but ykwim) make someone a bit grumpy to ensure the safety if my child, so it's still the right decision to me.

Bb01 I lost my post last night but re strange tight wriggles, could they be Braxton hicks? took me ages last time around to work out the strange sensations I was having were not really baby doing something weird, but because she was responding to the bh!

25 wks today! grin

dinkystinky Tue 09-Apr-13 09:44:35

Morning all - Photographer and Shelley, hope you're both feeling better now. I agree with Shelley Photographer - call your MW if you're worried that you havent been feeling any movement lately. FWIW I discovered the other day that the Bean moves ALOT when I eat a very hot curry - it was really painful and DH could see my bump changing shape through my clothes! Rather annoying as I love spicy food. If yours is chilling out, a super hot veggie curry may be the way to spur it into action - or loud music seems to get some of the other bumps on the thread moving (it used to get DS2 moving too but DS1 and Bean are clearly much more chilled out).

Ama - I dont think there is any pattern at this stage - if I recollect correctly its in the late third trimester that patterns emerge (in my case it was a pattern of the baby pogoing in my belly all night long and chilling most of the day).

Volcano was cool but lava caves were definitely my favourite trip Indecisive (despite the guide giving a terrible version of the talk in English - fortunately I can speak enough conversational Spanish so was able to translate for DH and DS1 and DS2 (who were like mini David Baileys with their kiddie cameras) who loved it too).

BB01 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:33:22

MightBeMad they may well be. I can't work out whether it's BH, hiccups or neither! My stomach does go quite hard I suppose so sounds more like BH in that sense, but the internal kicking sensation that comes with it made me think it could be hiccups. But yes, baby responding to the BH would make sense.

Ama, I was thinking the same about movement but the midwife said at the moment (start of third trimester) if the baby moves every day it's generally ok until a pattern gets established. I think I am starting to get more regular periods of high activity now as in every night and morning rather than at random times through the day. However, I still wouldn't say I feel the baby move once an hour, which seems to be a guideline you follow later on in the third trimester.

photographerlady Tue 09-Apr-13 10:42:25

Morning ladies. Thanks for the advice I am on the sofa today resting and trying to shake this bug. Had a bit of movement last night thanks to my playlist, LO loves hitting my phone as it plays music. Still terribly sore though so this mornings it's hard to feel movement through the aches and pains. Hope you feel better soon shelley

BB01 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:42:42

Have now 'enjoyed' two bump-related milestones I'm not sure I welcome!

1) Somebody other than DH touched bump for first time (didn't ask permission. Wasn't that bothered but glad it doesn't happen regularly). Commented as she did so that there was hardly anything there!
2) 2 people in 2 days asked if baby was normal size due to small bump size!!

However, these have coincided with people noticing my pregnancy for first time so I can't be that teeny!

Saw an article on Daily Mail website (don't like the paper but can't help checking for royal baby updates) about Kate's tiny bump and you really can't see a thing. Made me feel better!

Have been given so much secondhand baby stuff we now have a chest of drawers (5 drawers) full of little girl clothes and an even bigger one full of boys' clothes plus a storage box upstairs with more stuff for older babies. When the baby arrives I need to task a family member with getting rid of all the stuff we don't need.

It's so exciting sorting through it all but now I've spent literally hours doing it (took me ages to work out the sizes and what different things as all so new to me) I am now concerned that I should have washed it all. Half of it was washed and fresh and was told the other half was clean but just needed airing (and is from close family so I trust them), but even after doing a freshen up cycle in the tumble dryer there's a very faint whiff of something like damp. As much as I have enjoyed sorting them all not sure I want to have to do it again after the washing process. Arrrrgh!

BB01 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:43:12

Yay to the movement, photographer!
Get well soon

Quinandthem Tue 09-Apr-13 11:42:34

Hi Girls,

Sorry for those feeling rough - not nice at the best of times.

I've just had my GTT this morning. Honestly not that bad, although i wouldn't normally drink flat coke at 8am (this is what the drink tasted like to me). Just make sure you take plenty to do as the 2 hour wait is boring. Also had my 28wk bloods so at least i killed 2 birds with one stone.

Also have quite a small bump, although i am 5ft10 and a size 16, so i think the baby is just growing up rather than out, but a lady having her GTT this morning was 30 wks with her 4th and had an impressive bump - was jealous of it and equally glad that i didn't have something that big to lug around (yet) at the same time?

I have an anterior placenta so whilst i get feelings they are not that strong, blessing in disguise i suppose.

28+2

esme80 Tue 09-Apr-13 11:46:35

Glad to hear you had movement photographer! I swear these babies know when your getting nervous re movement and wait till last second to jump around, only to start a disco in there! When pg with ds I went in to dau twice w lack of movement, of course the second the monitor came on he started jumping! Oh and the midwives I met on those occasions always told me to go in if I was worried!

AmaDablam Tue 09-Apr-13 12:20:28

Hello, on a bit of a high here after a great midwife appointment! Got to hear little one's heartbeat for the first time - she found it first time and it's nice and strong grin. Also had bump measured and was told it's absolutely fine - in her words, I can tell anyone who goes on about it being small to "bog off". So, BB01 and Quin, from one fellow small-bumper to another, as long as the MW says it's OK, size really doesn't matter!

Thanks for the advice on movement ladies, basically MW said the same -it'll be another few weeks yet before a pattern is likely to emerge and as long as you're feeling something each day, it's fine.

Glad you're feeling a bit better photographer and have felt some movement now. Agree with the loud music idea - our LO seems quite partial to The Wonder Stuff, she was having a good old boogie when we had it blasting out in the car the other day smile.

elliejjtiny Tue 09-Apr-13 12:29:09

re changing tables I find mine really good for storing nappies and wipes etc. When severus is here I'll have 2 in nappies full time and 2 in pull ups at night so need a lot of storage space.

re baby stuff in loft I've only got clothes in the loft and I know there's enough for triplets up there so haven't bothered getting them down. I've got the moses basket out of the spare room. The bouncy chair is pretty much knackered so the frame went to the tip and I've kept the cover as a spare for the new one I haven't bought yet. BF pillow is still on the sofa because it's so comfy. Toys are in a box in the spare room. Can't think of anything else the baby will need although still need to get stuff for me for hospital bag and afterwards, eg maternity pads, decent pj's etc.

re baby shopping can't remember who asked about this but you really don't need as much as the owners of mothercare think you do! With DS1 we just had the essentials which really wasn't much and with DS2 and DS3 we had a few extras because we didn't need to buy the big stuff again.

re bump touching really hate that. Also hate the stupid comments, mostly "you're going to have your hands full" and "you must be desperate for a girl this time". DS1 is surprisingly good at replying to these people considering he's only 6. I can only think of good replies when they've gone.

My morning sickness has got worse this week (I blame the GTT). We've got an appointment at the vauxhall garage on saturday to sign the paperwork and then we will have a 12 week wait for our car. That takes us to a day after my EDD. Hopefully the car will be here before the baby. 4d scan on friday. We're trying to make the most of our last child free day and a half for months (or maybe years!) by cramming in as much as we can. Hoping for a trip to the cinema and some civilised mealtimes! Some shopping is hopefully on the cards too, still need a going home outfit for Severus. There has been some improvement in the bedroom department although I feel like I've run a marathon afterwards.

AmaDablam Tue 09-Apr-13 12:30:58

Oh and BB01 I intend to wash all of the baby stuff I've been given/bought. I know it's a chore but there's something about having it smell like "us", a big part of which I think is the washing powder and conditioner we use - also one of the few brands I can use with my sensitive skin, which I suspect LO may inherit. I think any clothes that have been put away for a while, no matter how clean they are at the time, get that damp, musty smell, which only a proper wash can shift. I intend it wait and have a big washing session when (hopefully not if!) the warmer weather arrives so I can see all those lovely little sleepsuits out on the line smile

Hello everyone. I think it's already been mentioned, but just a reminder that the tesco baby event is on at the moment at Asda one starts on the 22nd.

DH and I have booked a night in London in a couple of weeks time. My parents are going to look after DD for the weekend so we can have a babymoon. grin. We've arranged a massage in the spa at the hotel. I requested an 'ante-natal' massage and got an email back to say they don't do 'ante-natal' massage, but can do a 'pre-natal' massage!!!!! confused. Very excited.

BB01 Tue 09-Apr-13 14:50:44

Ama yes I know what you mean about it smelling like 'us'! And I agree re the midwife knowing best. MW seemed to think my bump was fine and said I did have strong stomach muscles which can help keep bump on the smaller side.

Totally ooh sounds lovely. Hope you enjoy it.

Ellie, do you think people just feel they have to say something to show theyr'e taking an interest??! That's my guess. Sure I'm guilty of it too, but it is grating when it's the 10th time you've had that comment on that particular day. Sorry your sickness is worse - hope the cinema takes your mind off it!

bigbelly4 Tue 09-Apr-13 17:07:01

Well I'm in a super bad mood today! So going to rant and get it off my chest to feel better!!!

It's my birthday on friday and DH and i were supposed to be having a night away from kids, as suggested and paid for by my parents. They were to look after the children for us too. Lovely lovely pressie thank you!

Well, they have now backed out as my mum "just cant cope" with looking after them. Baring in mind, the kids were spending the night at a friends away from my parents. So they had to "cope" with them 10 -5 fri and 11 - 2 saturday. Am just unbelievably pissed off, bacause they are infering that the kids are really hard work - which they are not (and not being a "my kids are perfect in all respects" mum, but they ARE well behaved and not little buggers!)

Right, rant over - sorry!

On the baby front, all is going well - lots of eels and kicks, which is lovely (appart from when I'm trying to get to sleep). Still seem to like the back to back position, but as a friend pointed out - it's obviously how my bodies shaped as all 3 previous ones were in same position during delivery. Have dug out and bought all the major bits now, just need to organise it - although plenty of thime for that, i hope!

whitedaffodil Tue 09-Apr-13 17:40:41

ama what do you recommend as sensitive skin washing detergent? DH and I just use normal fairy non bio but our washing machine isn't the best (rental property) and although I use less than the suggested dose, I do wonder sometimes whether it's all rinsed off ...

AmaDablam Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:14

whitedaf, I'm afraid Fairy non-bio (the liquid version that you put in a dosing ball straight in with the wash) is exactly what I use, have done for years and even my sister who has quite severe eczema seems to tolerate it so not sure what else to suggest. I did use Ecover for a while which was fine for my skin but found it was a bit rubbish for getting rid of heavy stains and strong smells. Maybe it is that your washing machine isn't rinsing it off properly - can you talk to your landlord about getting a new one? Comfort Pure is my conditioner of choice.

Totally thanks for the tip off about baby events and enjoy your babymoon. Hehe the person replying to your email had obviously never been pg, although I think the term "antenatal" is going out of fashion a bit in favour of "pre".

BB01 I got told I had strong abdominal muscles too. I nearly fell off the couch in shock! I can't remember the last time I did a sit up!

Bigbelly, that's pants, you poor thing sad. Will you still be able to do something in the time your DCs at at the friend's overnight, or any chance they could extend their time there?

Ellie and BB01 I've only had bump touching by people I know and am close to which I don't really mind, but the annoying comments (some of which I'm sure I was also guilty of in my pre-pg trying-to-be-interested days) are definitely ramping up. I think the one that winds me up the most is when someone's child plays up, I get "you've got all this to come" or worse still the child gets told they have to behave because I've got a baby "in my tummy", alongside remarks of "you'll put her off - oh no it's a bit late for that now". Grrrr.

esme80 Tue 09-Apr-13 20:58:57

I remember being told w ds I had strong abdominal muscles, was so pleased! Have funnily not heard that this time around...

ama I heard that a lot w first pregnancy, the annoying 'you've got all this to come.' Now everyone says 'oh having two, that will keep you buisy!' Do people stop being condescending when you are on your third or more baby?

This thread is not accepting new messages.