Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 - Thread 6: cankles, bumps, strangely placed lumps, the glamours of pregnancy go on and on

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Wed 13-Mar-13 11:32:52

New thread to natter away on.

Link to waddlers and riders and stats list here

MummyKanny Sun 31-Mar-13 10:41:10

Morning all!

Has been a while since I've been on here, lovely to hear about everyone's developing bumps! All well here, am 24+3 now and am loving all the kicks. I've been playing a bit of music to the bump in the evenings - not sure what good it is doing him/her but it's certainly sending me off to sleep!

I know what you all mean about the royal baby, have had helpful comments from MIL on how Kate is barely showing at all and none of my overcoats fit me anymore hmm I think I would prefer that I beat Kate to it but she is apparently due a day before me (same as EggFlipped).

Has anyone looked into natal hypnotherapy / hypnobirthing? The few people I have spoken to absolutely rave about it. I'm tempted but not sure if it's a great big con or if it might be the best thing I've ever spent my hard earned cash on.

What are everyone's views on going to a concert at 27 weeks? We have standing tickets for one of my favourite bands but am a bit concerned about standing for such a long period of time. I reeeeally don't want to miss it!

I suppose I had better start the day. Happy Easter all! DH has bought me a tremendous bunch of flowers in lieu of an egg - he has managed to source some of the types of flowers we had at our wedding! Ah. smile But I also get to share his eggs. Win win!

24+3

Sashabella0 Sun 31-Mar-13 12:29:56

Morning

MummyKanny I'd say go for it. I'm going to see the Stone Roses at Finsbury Park when I'm 33 weeks. Totally gutted to be missing Glastonbury at 36 weeks especially as I've got tickets!

If you get too tired I'm sure there will be somewhere to sit down. I'd advise against crowd surfing though! grin

BadMissM Sun 31-Mar-13 13:30:32

MummyKanny Go for it...am planning to take bump on an outing to our local goth club next week....!!!

I'm also planning to take LO around France as soon as he is born (for those panicking, have family there, speak fluent French and am covered under French system....!)

Am having weird family Easter with DH's family...weird for me as my family positively antisocial and don't really celebrate Easter....

Still have no name for poor bump. Don't think mine will clash with Kate's as current runners include Caspian and Sebastian....though DH favouring Benjamin...

23+6

TotallyEasterEggFlipped Sun 31-Mar-13 13:50:35

MummyKanny agree gig will be fine at 27 weeks. You can always plonk yourself down on the floor at the back if you need to sit. I think it's the perfect time for it - we went to see Florence & the Machine when I was still very morning sicknessy, it would have been much better at 27 weeks!

BadMiss I love Benjamin but can't convince DH! Like Caspian & Sebastian too.

esme80 Sun 31-Mar-13 14:03:21

mummykanny I am 27 weeks in a few days, reckonI could manage a gig now so I say go for it! When baby comes everything becomes more difficult, might as well enjoy now!

badmiss I also love Benjamin, wanted it for ds but was vetoed as too many other Bens we knew. Caspian also nice! Oh and can my little one and I come along to travel around France? Sounds great!

We are having a bit of a non-easter as dh working all weekend. Had today off but was on call, and of course called out! I am lying on sofa eating chocolate while ds takes a nap tough so not all bad...

photographerlady Sun 31-Mar-13 14:06:32

happy chocolate day. Mummykanny I signed up for hynobirthing, was labeled a hippy by my friends in the US (I grew up there) but I am just hoping to use the breathing techniques to relax.

BadMissM Sun 31-Mar-13 14:17:32

Esme Would love to if we had the room! Think it might be a bit of a squash as it is!!!

elliejjtiny Sun 31-Mar-13 15:25:31

re queue jumping. Don't worry, I don't get that upset about it smile. I just get the pregnancy rage when I'm overdue with an extra dose of tears. DH's grandad said "haven't you had that baby yet" when I was 41+1 with DS1, he's lucky to be alive! I've been about 4 days earlier with each baby so far so fingers crossed I won't get to the completely insane stage this time.

re names. I love Benjamin and Caspian. DH vetoed those when I was pregnant with DS1. Caspian is too "Narnian" apparantly hmm

Sorry to lower the tone of the thread but anyone else having trouble with sex blush? I only seem to be able to do 1 position without puking or needing the loo part way through and DH is finding it too repetitive. Tried really hard to be a bit more adventurous last night and had to give up part way through. Woke up this morning with another load of pulled stomach muscles, argh!

PhieEl06 Sun 31-Mar-13 15:50:56

Re Royal Baby: Very true point there dinky I think yesterday I was in one of my strange I don't like people moods! Definitely agree with iclaudius about the back fat?! & horrid pregnancy skin & cankles & waddling about because her hips hurt.
In some ways I do feel very sorry for her, when she's having a day where she wants to slob about, eat chocolate & feel sorry for herself I doubt it's always possible.
My nans comments on it are maybe your baby will be famous like on the news or something... Err thanks nan.

I sympathise ellie, way tmi alert but last night we had to stop half way through as I thought I needed to desperately go to the toilet & not for a number 1, safe to say that neither OH or myself were in the mood afterwards. Poor OH it was the first time in weeks I'd felt up to it as well. blush

Hope everyone is having a lovely Easter & eating way too much chocolate!!
24+1

esme80 Sun 31-Mar-13 16:04:41

I haven't gone past due date, ds was born 2 days before, but I was v uncomfortable at that stage! So I can certainly imagine I would have had rage if I had gone another 2 weeks past that!

I just don't think it's fair that Kate is so tiny when I am enormous! And I am according to those dates only 2 weeks further along than her! The last week I have started getting quite uncomfortable, sore back etc. and still quite a lot of growing left to do. Oh well, back to the chocolate!

CitizenOscar Sun 31-Mar-13 17:37:16

Mummykanny - I did hypnobirthing last time & it did help. The biggest impact was on DH who had been really anxious about the birth but after a couple of classes he was so much calmer and positive. I found it helpful too but to be honest the labour went on so long there was only so much I could keep it up. Have downloaded a good app this time which has some good relaxation soundtracks which we listen to before going to sleep.

lizincornwall Sun 31-Mar-13 17:46:10

Happy Easter everyone!!
Sorry to have missed out on loads, but caught up on the last couple of pages, glad to see most people feel in high spirits & keep the chocolate coming!!

Feel for those with SPD.

Just had friends to stay for a week which was lovely & took our minds off everything - we've had a run of back luck (oven blowing up, water getting in up through the kitchen floor from all the rain, gas heating not working so using electric heaters & getting a £350 elec bill for ONE MONTH). DD has been wonderful & is keeping up entertained and chirpy through it all smile.
On the morning our friends were due to arrive, we had a call from the consultant at the hospital saying she wanted to see me that morning as the results of the last scan showed bump to be tiny (lower than 5th percentile). It was the "we don't want to leave it another week" that got me worried. But that scan showed bump back on the 5th, so now they're not worried again confused, and when I got home to tell DH that everything was OK, he admitted that one of the cats hadn't come home overnight. Back now though - just one of those days!!

So, time for some more chocolate I think smile x

lizincornwall Sun 31-Mar-13 17:49:05

Mummykanny - I've booked hypnobirthing classes this time, the first of which is a week on Wednesday. I'll let you know how hippy it is how it goes. Like others on here, I'm hoping it will help me to remember to breathe properly & keep a bit calmer than otherwise.

CitizenOscar - what is the name of the App you use? Would love something like that! Would you also listen to it during the birth, or is that something different?

SlouchingPanda Sun 31-Mar-13 18:00:27

I am imagining that under those beautifully cut coats the DoC has got an outy belly button and the beginnings of stretch marks yeah right ... At least perhaps with all this right royal excitement people will forget to ask us incessantly if we've had our babies yet as they wait for news of a royal heir.

Liz sounds like you have had enough bother to last you a while and hope that your kitchen floor, gas and baby are all on the up!

I have only put on about 6kg but suddenly my bump is absolutely fricking massive, and I'm thinking that junior might actually be an octopus shock because it wriggles all the time and all over. Still, at least an octopus would slide out easily...<in denial about actual birth emoticon>...

Anyway - Happy Easter all!

25+3

MrsMillions Sun 31-Mar-13 18:33:31

Ellie and Phie (and anyone else too shy to say) well done for the bedroom action. I'm just really not fancying it so not even attempted for a couple of months, poor DH. I am making sure he feels very loved but am very conscious it's not the same.

MummyKanny Sun 31-Mar-13 19:09:46

Goodness liz sounds like you've had a rollercoaster week! I'd be really interested to hear how the hypnobirthing class goes, I'm doing mine in June. Also interested in any app that might help.

Hurray thanks for the support on the gig front. DH doesn't think it's a great idea but I figure I can always hang out at the back and lean against a wall if I'm struggling.. I want to get a little live music in seeing as I'm missing out on festivals for the foreseeable future!

Supershiv1 Sun 31-Mar-13 20:39:14

Go on MummyKanny - what gig is it? It's not the Big Reunion is it????

Lizincornwall we have the dinky bean's by the sounds of it wink. I think I would panic if they said they wanted to see me there and then too.

Supershiv1 Sun 31-Mar-13 20:40:27

Argh - always forget this bit - 23+1, feels like forever waiting to do my viability dance (will do Bodyshaking by 911 I think!).

CitizenOscar Sun 31-Mar-13 21:38:26

Hypnobirthing app I have is called innervision. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll seek out a link. It's quite similar to the Rainbow Relaxation CD we got as part of our hypnobirthing class.

It's got different relaxation tracks - for early pregnancy, mid pregnancy and during labour. I've only really listened to the mid pregnancy one and we usually fall asleep to it. I've not listened to the birth one yet but imagine it'd be good for early stages as that's when I used the rainbow relaxation one last time. It's not that long, though, and as my first labour was 3 days (from first regularish contraction) I found there were only so many times I could listen to it, so good to have other things up your sleeve too!

I do have mixed feelings about hypnobirthing - I think relaxation is extremely important and can help have a better birth experience but I also think it can raise expectations (eg about painfree births - which although I believe they are possible, I also believe are rare) which can make women feel they've failed if birth doesn't go that way. My HB class wasn't like that at all, the teacher was very down to earth and realistic (she'd had 5 babies, not all using HB), but I think the book can encourage you to be a bit too rigid in your thinking and planning. Personally, being more open minded worked better for me, while using some of the hypnobirthing techniques.

Sorry for the essay!

iclaudius Sun 31-Mar-13 23:05:03

supershiv YES!!! in 55 minutes i will be 23 and HOW this bit drags!

I always remember that it drags to 30 and then i need to put the brakes on!

MummyKanny Sun 31-Mar-13 23:57:06

Bodyshaking by 911! What a great song, haha.

No, not the Big Reunion but Fun. So fairly likely to get a bit squished. Would be sad to miss out as I lurve them.

Thanks CitizenOscar for the name of the app, will defo give it a go. Am not expecting a pain free birth but am hoping the HB classes help me enjoy and understand it all a little better.

photographerlady Mon 01-Apr-13 08:50:44

Morning ladies. I dinged 25 weeks today. It's odd but I really really want the time to fly by, I mean I know it's going to be tiring couple of weeks of feeding and nappy changes but now that I feel properly pregnant I have no patience.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 01-Apr-13 09:15:02

Mummykanny I would go, but I went to an oasis gig at a small venue last time I was pregnant and just kept at the back, dp went in the crush at the front but I wouldn't have done that anyway if not pregnant.

dinkystinky Mon 01-Apr-13 09:32:19

Morning all. Liz - sounds like you have had quite a run of it - new month and hopefully a new tide of good fortune for you today though.

Mummy Kanny - agree with the others, you'll be fine at the gig but be ready for the baby to start noshing away. Went to loads of gigs when expecting ds2 - he still loves all music now and boogies away to most types. I did hynobirthing for ds2 - 4 hours from waters breaking to him in my arms - and I think the visualisations per birth helped. I wasnt going for a pain free labour, just a calm and joyful one - and I got it. Ds1 was 2 days of early labour then and 8 hour induction and as far from calm and joyful as could be so hynobirthing helped forget about all that.

BadmissM - trip round France sounds lovely. Lucky you.

Sex not much on the cards here either - feel too tired by the evenings and no chance in the mornings. Think DH is used to it as I was the same in my other Pgs.

Supershiv1 Mon 01-Apr-13 10:00:03

dinky grin at nosh (was it meant to be mosh? Otherwise I have terrible visions!!!!!).
mummykanny go to the gig, at least baby may inherit better taste than mine with 911! (I am a big indie fan, but for some reason all I have been exposing bump to is pop, he must know all 1D and Olly Murs songs by now).
sasha I won't be off to Glastonbury either this year. Will have to make do withthe telly and non alcohlic beer.....

This thread is not accepting new messages.