Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

July 2013 - Thread 6: cankles, bumps, strangely placed lumps, the glamours of pregnancy go on and on

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Wed 13-Mar-13 11:32:52

New thread to natter away on.

Link to waddlers and riders and stats list here

photographerlady Mon 25-Mar-13 09:30:45

subject of cats - I have been banning my cats from certain rooms the last month. Mainly our bedroom and the spare (soon to be 6 month old baby's room). Its tough, had to get a spray (smells weird but not harmful) so that they are meowing outside the door, spray makes them back away from the carpets under the door too which is helpful. They are also getting used to sleeping downstairs at night which is the time they run around about like mad.

I have one gentle plump one (would probably cosy up to the baby if she could) and one who is so clumsy, I am more worried about him knocking things over in the night trying to see the baby more than anything else.

All is not too bad for them as they are loving the mornings in the garden after being indoor cats they now get a few hours a day to roll in the grass.

PhieEl06 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:45:01

Trust & BadMissM thank you for sharing, I suppose that no matter how traumatic you forget it quite quickly. I think I am a worrier in general.
Hope you're all well this morning, I haven't been in work 2 hours yet & have wanted to already walk out & never come back, I cannot understand how some people can be so incompetent, starting to get very fed up of having to pick up the pieces now, may have a word with my boss on its effects on my stress levels.
23+2

iclaudius Mon 25-Mar-13 11:03:34

Photographer please don't worry - with seven babies I've not had one cannon crib incident ... Dp is a vet and he's never heard of one

The cat is generally petrified of the mewling man-child and miserable that it no longer gets a look in!!

I wouldn't do any net at Imo it's more of a risk than anything . I have two cats and am completely confident they won't go near the bairn .

BadMissM Mon 25-Mar-13 12:12:07

Dinky Shaad sounds like lovely tradition....! I think I'm going to have the French part of my family descend in early August (should be fun!). My family here don't really have any traditions, they were barely connected when DD was born, but this time, think they won't be around at all.

At least my custody issues are over now...but they did cause a lot of the problems at work....

Beginning Despite my usual disorganisation...am making myself very tidy when it comes to baby stuff....

Photographer Roll on maternity leave!

Persuasion It was a long fight, but DD and I came out of the other side, luckily!

Dinky This time might be easier as Dh's family are all English (but a bit eccentric around the edges!)

Trust Once found my cat on top of DD's face as a baby. Must admit, did send the cat flying (very uncharacteristic for me). Cat never did it again....

Photographer Cats get used to being outdoors quite quickly....

Phie Wouldn't say you forget it, but have a different view of it....

I'm doing all this to avoid tidying the spare room, really. But has to be done, or LO will have nowhere to go!

Abzs Mon 25-Mar-13 12:12:47

I am hoping CatB will just be scared of the Small Person and not want to cuddle up to any one other than me ever. The way she reacted to a guest (that she's met before) this weekend suggests so.

Have bought some babygros today on sale in Tesco. Primary colours, so cheerful and non gender specific. Also a stack of Value facecloths for multipurpose wiping and washing.

elliejjtiny Mon 25-Mar-13 12:33:40

badmissm that must have been so scary and how frustrating that the police didn't seem bothered.

trust I hope the problems with your ex get sorted soon.

phie Nobody seems to talk about their good births. I've had 2 really good ones and one not so good but that was mainly due to DS2's bad positioning. I'm going to try a hypnobirthing CD this time. I find labour doesn't feel as bad when I keep calm so hopefully that will help.

dinky the Shaad sounds lovely. I want to do something like that before the baby is born, a get together with all the women/girls of the family with cake. I know someone who did that and got everyone to bring a bead and she wore them all as a necklace in labour. I've got a few other ideas like that but worried that people wouldn't come or would think it's a bit too hippyish. With 3 boys I don't often get to embrace my inner womanhood so I tend to go overboard if I get the opportunity grin.

No weird family traditions here but a few family members with some odd ideas. Particularly DH's grandad whose ideas have got even odder since he discovered google! He means well though and he said my hair looked very shiny yesterday which is a huge compliment from a man. Not sure if it's the new shampoo or if I've got a bit of pregnancy glow. I think it's the shampoo as it's just my hair that's glowing, the rest of me definately isn't.

I thought I was going to cry at school today. DS1 went to breakfast club with DH as usual. I suggested to DS2 that we have a getting dressed race which meant we were both dressed and shoes on by 8:15. In time to catch the early bus for the first time ever. So I just changed DS3's nappy, put him in the buggy with his coat on over his pj's and then DS2 had a major fling himself on the floor strop because he didn't want to go. This went on for half an hour and in the end I bundled him into his wheelchair, put DS3 in the baby carrier and went. Of course the bus that should have got us there in time was 20 mins late as usual. By this time DS2 was still fuming and exhausted from his tantrum. The TA was really nice about it and she said she could tell by the look on his face that he'd been really difficult. I'm hoping he can go to breakfast club soon as he always goes into class as good as gold with DH, but the school won't let him at the moment because they think the extra hour at school will make his tiredness and behaviour worse.

dinkystinky Mon 25-Mar-13 14:07:12

Ah Ellie - ((hugs)). We all have days like that and hopefully DS2 will calm down as he gets older. I prescribe lots of chocolate and cuddles with DS3 to cheer you up. Your gathering idea sounds really lovely - you should definitely go for it. I'm the only female surrounded by lots of boys in my house too - fortunately they're all pretty metrosexual (DS2 more than DS1 though) and get dragged off with me to the theatre, dance, art exhibits etc.

Has anyone else found they're becoming super clumsy in pregnancy all of a sudden? I just managed to pour hot (not scalding thank god) soup down my leg instead of into my mouth, so am now sat at work in spare gym kit I keep at the office. Thank god I dont have any meetings this afternoon!

Phie - sorry work is annoying you - hope it gets better.

BadMissM - can you try the 15 minutes to do one particular task approach re the spare room? Its the only way I can convince myself to do boring tasks sometimes.

Abzs Mon 25-Mar-13 16:03:56

Dinky I am dropping things randomly. My hands just seem to let go without me telling them to. Nothing important or liquid yet, thankfully.

dinkystinky Mon 25-Mar-13 17:09:25

Glad its not just me turning into a klutz Abzs!

Persuasion Mon 25-Mar-13 17:49:31

dinky I'm also quite clumsy (although I was fairly clumsy before anyway!) So it's definitely not just you.

Thanks you all for the cat empathy! I wasn't planning on leaving him unsupervised with the baby, but he is the most gentle, nervy cat ever (he's a housecat because he is scared of outside, and he hides from all visitors) so I'm not anticipating trouble!

ellie it sounds like a frustrating morning. I hope you're evening is better! Sounds like you managed really well given the circumstances, there's no more than that you can do.

I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon, but still dizzy if I bend down/stand up so I suspect it's slightly low BP. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it. I've also noticed an achey pain in my bits at the front over the last few days, particularly when I walk. Could this be a touch of mild SPD, or is it normal at this point due to baby weighing more??

MrsMillions Mon 25-Mar-13 17:54:15

I just nearly dropped my phone reading this thread on the train so definitely in the clumsy club!

My rage today is at PIL who do not seem to think it is a problem to bring 25 yr old SIL with them every time they visit. She lives with them so (a) she gets loads of time with just them vs DH none and (b) when we go to them she is obvs there too. Thought it would be nice for DH to get alone time with his parents before he becomes one himself, and next visit is last opportunity. But apparently they're all joined at the hip. MIL seems to think it's an issue of beds, luckily we do have enough even with future nursery out of action, but whilst undoubtedly it is more work to have 3 visitors than 2 that's not really the point. And nothing against SIL, would actually quite like to have her to stay without PILs sometimes too. Grrr.

But hey, Monday at work is over so the 4 day weekend is 1 day closer. Weather permitting my DSis and BIL are coming to stay, very exciting and NB PILs our parents won't be joining us!

And I made it to the end without another near miss on phone dropping.

24+4

iclaudius Mon 25-Mar-13 18:05:50

Hello all - sorry on phone can't name check!
How are you all? Yy to clumsiness - mine is more of a falling over left right and centre clumsiness ATM. Awfully in feminine to be frank but maybe that just completes the general picture here - have gained almost a stone - well- twelve pounds and just look rank. Heavy heavy heavy. And dowdy. Am on iron now but just feel lethargic and with little or no joie de vivre... Anyone the same - < yawn ..... What can I EAT!!>

TotallyEasterEggFlipped Mon 25-Mar-13 18:59:21

I'm another one in the clumsy club! I keep knocking my hands on the hot oven shelves - ouch! I've also missed my mouth whilst trying to eat/drink a couple of times over the last few days blush. I can't get my socks off without toppling over these days either.....

Persuasion I have to wear flight socks and keep really well hydrated to prevent myself from getting faint. I think it's a blood pressure thing.

I thought I'd done my last run, but after 7 days off I couldn't resist going out for another short one. I used to run first thing in the morning and have no trouble bouncing out of bed at crazy o'clock, but these days I just can't seem to get moving. One of the main reasons I was giving up was because early mornings are generally the only opportunity I have to run but my bed is winning.

iclaudius I have no idea how much weight I've gained. I suppose I better weigh myself again at some point to make sure I'm on track.

whitedaffodil Mon 25-Mar-13 19:30:32

hey dinky, totally, iclaudius and the other clumsies. I hear you ... I am having trouble "timing" the revolving door in to my office foyer - not a good look! I now wait til nobody has spun it really fast ... !

here's a tip to prevent some worries - I had a range of blood tests done because I have another underlying condition and (as usual), got them to send me the actual results for my file. So loads of values were abnormal and I've just spent 30 mins with Dr Google finding out that the reference values for LOADS of things (like ESR, a measure of inflammation), white blood cell (WBC) etc can all be higher or lower if you're preggers. So, I guess if consultant had written "20 weeks pregnant" (as I then was) I wouldn't have had all the abnormals as the lab would have used adjusted ranges! just thought I'd share in case others get a fright too.

Will obviously speak to consultant but for once Google was reassuring smile

BadMissM Mon 25-Mar-13 19:52:37

I'm part of the clumsy club too! Dropping things left right and centre. DD was just laughing at my strange bending down techniques....

dinky Having made DD help me and DH put up the damn shelves, am now seeing the floor and an end to the spare-room struggle! I just need the room to sort it for LO, also want to paint some furniture I've found and been given, make curtains, etc....

iclaudius I am just perpetually knackered at the moment. I keep hoping it will improve, but sadly no despite taking vitamins and iron....Haven't dared weigh myself (helps that I have no scales), but don't think have put that much on with the diabetes diet....

iclaudius Mon 25-Mar-13 20:01:12

Totallyeggflipped I think I wish I were you!!

Re the bloods - I'm awful for doctor googling my pcv and mcv etc
The doctors always say I'm normal but dr google tells me otherwise

Don't get me started on ferritin!!

Bad missm - maybe we should blame our age - I look 140

VinegarDrinker Mon 25-Mar-13 20:04:28

whitedaffodil our labs don't adjust ranges, but anyone working with pregnant women will know to ignore the red exclamation marks in some circumstances.
Not particularly noticed clumsiness but I do have a most embarrassing problem of forgetting really common words and stumbling for ages trying to remember them! Proper placenta brain.

25+6 today - MW appointment tomorrow, hopefully my lovely community MW will be back from sick leave

AmaDablam Mon 25-Mar-13 20:12:03

Evening...

Well, that's another Monday down! Roll on maternity leave....

Not much to report here. Had a bit of a splurge in the Debenhams sale at lunchtime, and managed to find several tops that are not maternity but will double up as such. I also discovered the answer to all my swimsuit woes - a "skirtini". I HATE showing off any part of my backside and those shorts type bottoms just eat into my thighs and make them look even larger than they are. The skirtini is a normal pair of bottoms with a wonderful little skirt attached. Again not maternity but I just bought a size bigger than normal and they sit quite comfortably under my bump, with plenty of stretch in them, so will hopefully do me throughout pg. Plus the tops go all the way up to a G cup - perfect for the well endowed smile

Not suffering from clumsiness as such, but my memory is shocking! My brain keeps completely erasing entire conversations and the other day I began to get miffed with a colleague who (I thought) had promised to do something for me and then said she couldn't as she'd booked something else in, only to realise that it was actually the person sitting next to her who'd agreed to help me out!

23+1

dinkystinky Mon 25-Mar-13 20:12:36

Totally - listen to your body. If its telling you it wants the occasional run, go for it. Likewise if it tells you it wants the duvet instead. I was going to give up body combat post Easter but think I may carry on abit longer as can still do it, albeit with v low impact versions of the jumping and running bits.

Glad am not alone in club clumsy.

Badmissm - how are your vit d levels?

AmaDablam Mon 25-Mar-13 20:21:38

Oh meant to say iclaudius I too have put on about a stone, and that's just since Christmas (prior to that I actually lost weight due to MS, so now around 10-12lb over pre-pg weight). Unfortunately it all seems to have gone straight to the same places it does when I'm not pg - bum, hips, thighs and boobs!

Given that we're "supposed" (depending on what you read) to gain 1-2lb a week in the 2nd trimester and we're now 10+ weeks in, I don't think that's too bad going.

BadMissM Mon 25-Mar-13 20:49:27

Dinky Hadn't thought of that one!!!

dinkystinky Mon 25-Mar-13 21:04:10

I think its often missed BadmissM - I was chatting to a client last week who had pneumonia when she was pregnant and when they tested her vit d level it was extraordinarily low. She was telling me to get it checked out if I was feeling at all run down.

Sashabella0 Mon 25-Mar-13 21:44:41

Just had my 20 week scan and pleased to report all is well. Still in team yellow grin

22+5

dinkystinky Mon 25-Mar-13 21:57:35

Glad you had a good scan sashabella - hope the baby was being nice and photogenic for you.

MarieKL Mon 25-Mar-13 21:59:05

Hi, Just catching up after spending the weekend at friends.

Trust sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time. I hope things improve soon, and you get all the support you need.

Badmiss I hope you're less shaken after the car accident. What an awful thing to happen.

Ellie I hope your day got better, and Vinegar good luck for your appointment tomorrow.

Phie Talking to your manager sounds like a good idea. Hopefully the thought of mat leave will make things more bearable.

On the subject of cats one of our cats ignored DS. Our other cat was very protective of DS. If he cried and I picked him up she'd try to attack me from behind (claws in my back) and when he started rolling over and couldn't roll back again she'd lie next to him and roll over and then look to say 'see that's how you do it'!

I'm similar to Ama with limited clumsiness but a terrible memory. Sent my friend who has been married over 13 years a parcel the other day and addressed it in her maiden name, and at work I'm having to ask people to explain situations to me again as I just can't recall all the details!

Very impressed with everyone who is still exercising. I can't wait to start mat leave just so I can do some walking. Everything seems to revolve around using the car now, whereas when we lived in London and I was pg with DS I walked/dashed 4 miles a day as part of my commute!

I think the weekend is catching up with me so off for a drink off hot milk and an early night.

This thread is not accepting new messages.