Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2013 - thread 2 - bookings and early scans!

(1000 Posts)
MummaPanda Wed 13-Mar-13 10:59:18

Where did everyone go? Lol

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 20-Mar-13 23:56:38

arty I think there is quite a bit of snobbery on names on the baby names board. I am reading it atm as I am looking for inspirations. But I think some of the regulars there only approves if you conform. They generally prefer names that are slightly unusual, 'classic' and sound like someone who shops at waitrose.

getoffthecoffeetable Thu 21-Mar-13 00:04:05

Honey glad you're feeling better. Did you get another scan date?
Was happily fast asleep (having weird dreams though) and have been woken up by DH dictating letters downstairs. Am not impressed. He's had today off poorly with the bug I had so isn't tired as he's been asleep most if the day. Bet he'll suddenly be fast asleep when DS gets up at 5am grrr!!!
Anyone know when we get our free prescription forms in England? Have managed to chip my tooth and I know it needs major sorting at dentist but it's going to cost a fortune without that lovely form.
This happened when I was pregnant with DS too. Do your teeth just get a but rubbish when pregnant or I'd it just coincidence?

JBrd Thu 21-Mar-13 00:16:32

Oooh, names, I love thinking about baby names! We started the fights discussions about that really early last time because we both quite enjoyed it. Apart from the fact that we have completely different tastes... Plus we need a name that works in both English and German, as I'm Swiss-German and a lot of family and friends are German-speaking.

Don't pay any attention to the MN names discussions threads, apart from the comical value they sometimes have grin. I also go there for inspiration. Ultimately, it's a very personal choice.
And this time, we won't share even the 'possibles' with anyone - we chatted with MIL about our names lists last time, and got a lot of cats-bum-face and rather strong comments from her about her dislikes. People will get told when baby JBrd is here, not any time before. And then they can keep their thoughts to themselves. So there.

getoff I think you get the free-prescriptions card after your booking in appointment, if I remember correctly (how is it possible to forget so much about your first pregnancy?!? It's only been 2 years, ffs!).

getoffthecoffeetable Thu 21-Mar-13 00:46:08

Thanks jbrd you are good!

Went downstairs and gave him a roasting and he came up to bed give mins later with a sheepish apology. Am now starving though and that's keeping me awake so he 's been dispatched to make me a crisp sandwich. Have told him he'll be absolved then!

If we have a girl I've got a name I've always wanted but DH isn't keen. Not sure how I've get it past him!

Ariel21 Thu 21-Mar-13 03:30:04

Hi everyone, I'm tentatively joining in as JUST had 2 positive tests on clear blue so it must be real right? Don't really believe it smile Put the date of my last period into a due date calculator and it says 27 Nov so here I am. Since finding out (Sun) have not felt many symptoms, except sore boobs (standard for this time of month) and just very tired. This may be due to caffeine withdrawal as much as anything else! Went to bed at 10pm last night hence being awake in the middle of the night! Look forward to reading about everyone else's experiences.

Hi Ariel, you're due the same week as me then! I fell asleep when I got in from work and woke up when DP got back from snowboarding at 10pm. I also can't sleep because I've got horrendous nausea and heartburn. My baby might have to be called Rennie at this rate, or I might give birth to a Rennie. I'm a bit concerned about the level of heartburn as about 10 years ago I had an peptic ulcer which bled. I can't just throw down a ranitidine like I used to which is a right bugger.

As far as names go, we have chosen boy and girl before we started ttc, although once the bissellah is born we might change our minds. At the moment it's known as the bissellah which is Yiddish for tiny little bit.

TwoTearsInABucket Thu 21-Mar-13 05:14:45

Good morning everyone. All best wishes for a good day today, not too much sickness and heartburn please.
Woke up at about four am, now up and working on the computer (er, well, working and checking FB, mumsnet etc.) and feeling a bit queasy. Its blackcurrant squash that helps me. Gallons of it. And hula hoops. Weird how the crisps are helping.
MsFanackerPants I am not envious of the heartburn. I only got that in the last trimester with my DS and DD, and it was horrible. I had to stop eating my beloved bread. Is there anything else you can take?

Congratulations to all those with positive tests smile

Dizzy81 Thu 21-Mar-13 05:52:07

Morning all,

Welcome to all those who've recently discovered their pregnant.

My boobs have certain,y gone up in size and feel like bags of sand, as they're really hard to the touch and sore.

After sleeping through the night non stop for several nights I've now got insomnia. Grrrr

The time of my scans been bought forward on Tuesday I'll be 7 + 4, am excited but nervous. It's costing me £150 but this was only private clinic that could see mr before easter- as we want to tell future grand and great grand parents over Easter weekend. One min I'm excited about it and the next I'm convinced I'll get bad news.dappy Orr what?

getoffthecoffeetable Thu 21-Mar-13 06:09:44

dizzy that's not dappy, it's just how I feel. I really want to tell but won't until everything's ok on the scan. Still don't know when that will be though. Hopefully really quickly after MW appointment on 27th March.
Am exhausted. Didn't manage to get to sleep until about 3am after the night time waking and then DS was up as usual at 5.10.
Can't wait for the clocks to change, then psychologically it won't be quite so bad!
Will be good for nothing at work today I think!

getoffthecoffeetable Thu 21-Mar-13 06:13:02

msfp love bisella, sounds much better than bean which is what we've been calling ours.
I lived on Gaviscon in my third trimester with DS.
Welcome to you new ladies with BFPs, congratulations!

harverina Thu 21-Mar-13 06:34:40

Welcome arial and congratulations.

I slept all night - well from 1am till 5 then went back to sleep until 6.15. I was just about to go to sleep at midnight when my dd woke up crying. Not sure if she had a bad dream but she was awake for a while then needed the toilet so it was about 1am before she went back into her own bed hmm

Just getting ready for work. I wake up every morning and think "yes no sickness" then shortly after I feel soooo soooo sick! So far so good this morning!

And today I have resolved not to eat any rubbish. I am allowing myself one packet of crisps and that's it! We will see how that turns out! Haha...I am already craving crisps - but I will not allow them for breakfast this morning!!!!

Have a nice day guys - hope those of you who are really tired manage to get through at work etc ok grin

harverina Thu 21-Mar-13 06:35:47

And yeah dizzy i think everyone Feels the same until the scan. I just hope that no bleeding and lots of symptoms means that everything is ok.

vix206 Thu 21-Mar-13 06:44:55

Onelittletoddlerterror don't worry about the lack of nutrition. Your midwife is right, it will be fine. Your baby will take everything it needs and pretty soon you will find you'll be able to eat more.

Women through history have been pregnant in terrible conditions (poor food provision) but continued to give birth to healthy babies.

Dizzy81 Thu 21-Mar-13 06:50:15

Thanks all, no bleeding varying symptoms so should be ok. I suppose worried as orkec with a few omen who had multiple miscarriages and one no went for a scan at 7 weeks to find the embryohadntb developed.

Here's hoping I can get through work ok and avoid the biscuit draw! :-)

Ariel21 Thu 21-Mar-13 07:22:53

Whoo Mrsfanackerpants due date buddies! Sorry to hear you've had nausea and heartburn, ive been OK so far (although kind of hope for more symptoms as then it will feel more real!) We don't want to tell anyone just yet, at least for a few weeks then just parents and close family. Although getting through dinner with a few of my closest girlies tomorrow is going to be a challenge...

I am wondering when I'm supposed to contact the doctor? I have a big project on at the moment and wouldn't be able to see anyone until after Easter anyway, but is it worth checking in and seeing what they say?

One day nearer the weekend....

I CBA with work!

Congrats to the newbies

Ariel in my Gp you just make an appt with the midwife and then she refers you onto the hospital but each place seems to be different.

I was referred early due to a medical condition but most seem to see someone for booking in about 10-12 weeks

Ariel21 Thu 21-Mar-13 07:41:17

Oh that sounds reasonable fairydogmother and that seems to be what I'm mostly reading online too. Thanks smile I think I will pop into the GPs next week and see what they say.

Theicingontop Thu 21-Mar-13 07:44:13

Ahh this thread is progressing so quickly, so hard to keep up, so many new bfps! Congratulations everyone.

So good to hear that it's not just me who can't seem to eat more than half a plateful for hours at a time. My stomach feels so small now. I've lost half a stone shock (I can afford it, trust me)

The early birds appointment yesterday was great, even though I'm not a group person. Very informative. Apparently we have three scans now, 12+, 20+ and 32 weeks. And my hospital has opened up a birth center, so if I want to transfer during my homebirth I can avoid the wards, which is great.

I have my booking-in appointment and they'll be forwarding me my scan date. It's all very real now.

Dizzy81 Thu 21-Mar-13 07:58:23

Aries with my gp it was a chat about what to eat/ avoid, the reason miscarriages happen, check your taking your vitamin and to refer you to the midwife.
Hth?

Xx

SuffolkNWhat Belgium Thu 21-Mar-13 08:03:56

Morning ladies!

Gosh we are filling up now, congratulations to all new people!

I'm still in bed but really need tiger up,y parents are visiting later and the house is a pigsty, I'm a slatteen anyway but not being able to do anything due to sickness has made things worse!

theboob Thu 21-Mar-13 08:09:56

I have had to tell my next placement that I am pregnant , I'm on CITU and there are lots of portable xrays so I will be at risk , after that I'm at our local hospice which is brilliant , I just hope that my bump will not upset too many people at a difficult time in their lives .....I do overthink things a little too much

Alexandra6 Thu 21-Mar-13 08:21:12

Morning newbies, I'm quite new too - Due date 28th nov. clear blue changed to 2-3 weeks this morning woop!! When does morning sickness usually start? Just a bit tired/nauseous at the moment

vix206 Thu 21-Mar-13 08:41:41

I looked I to the 32 week scan thing. It's something that varies by area, so we won't all get one hmm

MummaPanda Thu 21-Mar-13 08:47:27

Is that standard that everyone gets a scan at 32weeks now??

Morning everyone and hi to all newbies!

This thread is not accepting new messages.