Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2013 - The Beginning of the Bumps

(998 Posts)
BinarySolo Wed 06-Mar-13 16:01:02

Old thread getting full. Already!

fl0b0t Thu 07-Mar-13 13:31:38

Having gone to bed at 4pm as I was so sick and tired at 9pm I'm catching up!
cheesestraw natural nappies are something that I really want to use. I have a friend who used them successfully (with disposables on standby for being out of the house etc) the majority of the time. They tie in very closely with my own ethics and feelings about disposable nappies, but I appreciate they don't work for everyone. I don't necessarily expect them to save me much money in the long run, and I need to look into the local services in more detail, but it's my ideal.

flipflump some days I definitely have flakey nipples, but I've not bothered to do anything about it (bar a little extra moisturiser!) I am also allergic to lanolin but have been informed that most of the nipple creams recommended have lanolin in (or my favourite "hypoallergenic lanolin"... which is great unless lanolin is the thing you're allergic to!)

badguider- you are normal! My house is also a tip (worse than usual) and I haven't the energy to care. I put some washing on today and feel like I deserve a medal! Husband has been great (seriously amazing) but there's only so much he can do with work etc going on!

kimjayne I would bloody love to do some form of antenatal exercise class but still not really feeling well enough. Luckily I still keep a little fit with walking and cycling (thought unable to do much at the moment!), but would love to do something more.

readytosettle- I guess it proves that the world takes all kinds of people. Loads of people have berated my choice NOT to find out the gender! I don't care and won't prepare any differently and I fancy the surprise! I don't care what other people choose to do and would never tell them it's the wrong choice... but people are weird like that!

That'll do for now!

badguider Thu 07-Mar-13 13:33:39

Shhh..... am home... not going to my 2-4pm event... going to have a sneaky sleep instead grin

JammyTummy Thu 07-Mar-13 13:58:58

I'm seriously contemplating a sneaky nap... Post lunch nap- doesnt get better than that.

I am far too nosey not to find out the sex (won't even pretend its for any better reason than that) and I really don't think it's anybody else's business, in the same way I wouldn't set about giving someone stick for not wanting to know what they're having!

fl0b0t Thu 07-Mar-13 14:39:15

I hate naps usually (they make me feel disorientated and dehydrated) but they are the only thing that keep me alive by midweek!

I had the dubious pleasure of spending the morning at hospital (not pregnancy related), and was kept waiting a lot so came home feeling sick and desperately needing a wee! No good!

Finally caught up on one born every minute, and all it's made me worry about so far is how many chins and stretchmarks I'm going to have! How utterly narcissistic!!

Wincher Thu 07-Mar-13 14:42:13

I can't decide whether to find out the sex! Last time round I wanted to find out but DH didn't, so we didn't find out. I always thought it would be good to find out second time round so you can tell the first child they are having a baby brother or whatever. It would have been nice to have some exciting news to break up the long hard slog of pregnancy with, and when DS was born it was all so overwhelming and I couldn't really take in that he was a boy as I was just too shocked that it was a real live baby! However I'm not so sure now - apparently it's quite rare not to find out these days and I like bucking the trend. Plus my friend who did find out still didn't like to tell her toddler she was definitely getting a baby sister just in case the scan was wrong. Oh I don't know. 7.5 weeks to decide!

HettySunshine Thu 07-Mar-13 14:45:25

Well, I seem to have joined the Too Much Time in the Toilet club - not due to ms or pooing, but due to peeing. I yet the urge even when I don't need to go but it is urgent and a tiny bit painful hmm

I went to the doc's yesterday as I've cystitis before but she did a dip test and all was well. She's sent it off for tests but does any one have any ideas? I'm 12+6.

LexyMa Thu 07-Mar-13 14:59:56

If I leave work now, I can get at least an hour's nap before picking up DS. I am no use here whatsoever...

Eeeknumber3 Thu 07-Mar-13 15:06:10

Yippee! Just got 2 grobag sleeping bags in good nick from our local cancer hospice charity shop for £1 for two! Marvellous. And a swaddle blanket thing for 25p, it has bits of Velcro on it and stuff to swaddle, grobag make also..25p...grobags I cannot live without. I have given all my stuff to other people and can't remember who has what!

Manoodledo Thu 07-Mar-13 15:35:05

Marking place too!

BinarySolo Thu 07-Mar-13 15:39:42

Fl0b0t hypoallergenic lanolin might not be as daft as it sounds. Apparently lanolin is often contaminated with sheep dip chemicals so it would be trace amounts of harsh pesticides causing the reaction rather than the lanolin itself (I have a friend who thought she was allergic but can happily use burt's bees stuff where they take greater care. )

I used boots nipple cream last time which is lanolin free. Found that I didn't get cracke nipples when I started breast feeding either so it seemed to work for me.

Whyriskit Thu 07-Mar-13 15:40:17

I've used real nappies with both boys, they suit us fine. If I use them with this one too I think it will have saved us a fair bit of money.
I went to a really good antenatal yoga class with both previous pregs but can't this time as I would have to ask DH to pick up boys from nursery every tues and he can't commit to that sad .
So I've found an aquanatal class locally which I'll try instead.

fl0b0t Thu 07-Mar-13 15:54:03

Binary~ that's good to know! I always thought they were tryingto hype up the fact that it's natural and allergen-free! smile

BinarySolo Thu 07-Mar-13 15:54:38

How easy is it to get the nappies dry, whyriskit?

I bought terry squares for ds but he was prem so they were way too big, then he was so used to disposables that he cried when I tried them when he was older. The house I'm in has a slight damp problem so I'd worry about drying them especially in bad weather.

BinarySolo Thu 07-Mar-13 15:57:12

Hehe Fl0b0t it could also be that! grin

Wincher Thu 07-Mar-13 16:01:23

Lansinoh (the stuff everyone recommends as the miracle cure for cracked nipples when BFing) claims to be totally hypoallergenic, and says that even if you're allergic to lanolin you won't be allergic to this. So even though I am sensitive to lanolin, it's not a bad sensitivity so I religiously used Lansinoh on my poor sore nipples after every feed for the first 8 weeks of DS's life. My nipples were still cracked and agony. I went to every BFing group possible, saw doctors, BFing counsellors etc. Until one day a HV suggested I could try stopping the Lansinoh and seeing if that helped. Within three days my nipples healed up and I was BFing pain-free for the first time. So beware!

kipsonline Thu 07-Mar-13 16:24:28

We are in the cloth brigade too. Used almost 100% with DS1, slightly less with DS 2... We liked mother ease one size organic extra dry (!) as lasted forever, no need to buy new sizes and held everything in that they should!!. Tended to use disposable overnight as both boys were big wee monsters. But reusables fine even when out and about.. With good bags to carry solid ones home. We dried on line in summer and rads in winter (no tumble dryer) and found it ok, despite an old slightly damp house! Would def recommend starting with disposables though for first few weeks until things settle down... Those first wet explosions are best binned!!!!!

kipsonline Thu 07-Mar-13 16:27:14

We are under family pressure to ask for gender this time despite not doing in previous 2 pgs.... You def can't win it seems! I too am v surprised people feel that it's ok to voice such strong opinions on anything pg and baby related in a way they would never dare on other matters...

kipsonline Thu 07-Mar-13 16:30:29

Ooh and am starting pg yoga at local gym next week with a school mum who is due 1 week before me, we were v excited to spot mutual bumps in the playground! Was worried third time round that wouldn't know any other local pg ladies....

BinarySolo Thu 07-Mar-13 16:31:38

I can't believe how rude some people are about name choices! Has made us think that we'll keep it to ourselves this time.

LCR77 Thu 07-Mar-13 16:38:03

Must share my culinary revelation, that I think will be my breakfast of choice throughout pg....

Peanut butter and nutella on toast...or Buttella if you will.

That is all. Enjoy!

Whyriskit Thu 07-Mar-13 16:40:29

Have no probs drying them. We do have a tumble drier but I generally dry them on the line or inside. We use motherease one size with fleece liners. I would say disposables for the first month though!

frogchops Thu 07-Mar-13 16:50:11

A friend outed her scan pic on Facebook last night. We will be at same hosp within a week!!
My boss laughed at my bump today. It's actually huge for 12 weeks. :-/

jemimahpuddleduck Thu 07-Mar-13 16:52:29

We are definately keeping our name choices to ourselves as think people would be less likely to comment once the baby is here.

Just got home to a letter with my 20 week scan date! Only had my 12 week on Mobdat! Will be on 19th April.

kipsonline Thu 07-Mar-13 16:55:25

I can confirm I shall not be calling ours after my MIL after this week!!!!!

Dorita75 Thu 07-Mar-13 16:58:52

Ha frogchops my boss said the same today! Seems to be since I told everyone on Monday it's popped out even further! It's lovely to tell people, I've had so many hugs, it's a really nice feeling. Everyone is really happy and say it's lovely news in amongst all the gloom (restructuring and uncertainty in work).

Got my down syndrome letter today, 1 in 770 so low risk, think it'll make me relax even more than I did after last week's scan, starting to enjoy things now, though just need the sickness to disappear completely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now