Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated Elderberries (thread 2)

(1000 Posts)
Cavort Sat 02-Mar-13 10:10:47

Oops, seems we ran out of room without noticing!

Alexandra6 Mon 08-Apr-13 17:49:47

How long is a reasonable time to go overdue do you think and how much does that change between early 30s and late 30s?

Glad that man brought your dog back cavort!

Alexandra6 Mon 08-Apr-13 17:50:17

I mean a reasonable time to go overdue before needing to be induced?

janey1234 Mon 08-Apr-13 17:53:49

They normally let you go up to a max of two weeks overdue. Risks only increase post 35 according to my consultant, and then at 40. So at 40 you have the sane risks of a stillbirth at 39 weeks as a 30 year old has at 42 weeks. It's weird how downhill our bodies go at 35! sad

BraveLilBear Mon 08-Apr-13 17:55:43

I know I can refuse induction, but I'm liable to feeling guilty plus OH is a bit of an authority agreer with these kinds of things...

Naughty puppy Cavort but glad you got your FTF certificate in the end. £118 plus £31 is ridiculous! <almost glad I'm not allowed to fly now> glad they only charged the £31.

And transverse babies are fun! I like it when BB kicks me on both sides at the same time grin though it now seems a bit happier being straight up - think it's gone head down a couple of times too as have been having pointy kicks in the ribs and blunter nudges further down. (But I really don't have a clue lol)

Alex sounds like the dreaded early pg bloats to me - absolute nightmare! Mine lasted til about 15 weeks, then it went, then the fat came, then bump popped properly at 21 weeks.

Ooooh check us on page 40 again already! It'll be time for thread number 3 soon!

BraveLilBear Mon 08-Apr-13 17:57:59

x-posts - it all seems a bit arbitrary doesn't it. So one day you're normal risk then the next day, wham you're higher risk. Depends where you are as to how long they let you go over - my trust has a very high induction rate (nearly 25%) whereas most places are closer to 20% so I wonder if they are a 40+10 place. Not been able to find out yet.

Alexandra6 Mon 08-Apr-13 17:59:48

I was just reading another thread about someone planning to not have a dating scan and keeping her dates to herself to avoid being induced, haven't read the whole thing properly but wonder if she knows the risks, sounds like she's being advised against it.

Was also reading another thread about NCT vs NHS classes - I'm already planning to do NCT but it sounds like you can do both?

janey1234 Mon 08-Apr-13 18:10:16

Yep you can do both. At our hospital alex they offer four free weekly classes on either tues, weds or thurs nights and say morning. Even though I'm doing NCT I'm planning to go, especially as you get a tour if the labour ward etc on one of them. Think I might go without DP to the nhs ones just because he would prob need to leave work early.

Cavort Mon 08-Apr-13 19:11:40

It says in my maternity notes schedule that IOL will be offered at 40 + 12-14 in my area. No idea what induction rates are though, how do I find out?

My friend from work who had a baby not long ago was induced at 42 weeks and she said it was fine. She slept overnight with a pessary in, then was attached to the drip in the morning. Contractions started pretty much as soon as she got on the drip and she gave birth 7 hours later having had G&A and pethidine in the meantime. Doesn't sound too bad.

HazleNutt Mon 08-Apr-13 19:29:15

that I could live with, just the description of sweeps and manually breaking waters make me feel a bit faint.

Cavort Mon 08-Apr-13 19:45:31

I will be declining any offer of a sweep (too many stories of complete agony) and I have seen waters being manually broken first hand and it looked absolutely fine to me, although the massive hook they use to do it looks quite scary.

janey1234 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:02:06

A sweep I am fine with. The drip I am not - heard too many horror stories! I think in some trusts they give you an epidural at the same time as it's so bloody painful. shock

Alexandra6 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:15:31

I have no idea what a sweep or a drip is! confused Have a lot of googling to do over the next few months!

Massive hook? <faints>
I was really late, my mum had to be induced but refused until the date had ticked over into the next star sign, the doctor must have thought she was bonkers when she said 'oh no, I'm not having a CAPRICORN baby (with cats bum face no doubt) you'll have to wait'

Cavort Mon 08-Apr-13 20:40:26

Alex this is the official explanation

However in reality they don't just "sweep a finger around your cervix," they insert their finger through it and run it around the baby's head.

I had a coil fitted once which involved my cervix getting dilated to half a cm by a thin tube which the IUD was pushed through AND IT WAS TOTAL AGONY. The Doctor fitting it had to practically peel me off the ceiling and I'm hardly even exaggerating. I nearly passed out with the pain and couldn't drive home as I felt too sick afterwards.

So based on the size of a finger (especially as the MW I have seen the last 2 times is morbidly obese and has fingers like a bunch of bananas) I will be politely declining any offer of a sweep.

This really doesn't appeal to me!

I haven't heard any bad drip stories, I must resist Googling as if I can.

Cavort Mon 08-Apr-13 20:41:57

Purple the hook itself isn't massive, it's like a little crochet hook, but it's on an unnecessarily long stick.

I don't care about it's bloody pedigree! I don't fancy ANY kind of hook thank you! Urgh I kind of thought I'd lost all dignity on Saturday night the state I was in then I thought about it and realised that at least nobody was watching me so I obviously have even more dignity to lose yet.

janey1234 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:53:55

Cavort - I've heard varying reports if a sweep, from agonising to absolutely fine. Guess it depends on if your cervix is 'favourable' - and guess they don't know that until they try to put a fat finger in it! shock

Cavort Mon 08-Apr-13 21:03:36

If the cervix is 'favourable' and effaced enough to fit a morbidly obese finger through then labour is probably on the way anyway so no need for a sweep grin I completely admit that I am a complete wuss and just too scared to have one after my horrific IUD-fitting trauma. Maybe I will change my mind at 40 weeks if I am feeling desperate to get this alien out grin

BraveLilBear Tue 09-Apr-13 09:08:20

The whole level of stuff being done to you if you go over freaks me out to high heaven. Sweeps, induction, VEs every four hours 5 minutes... honestly not a good place for me to be in mentally!

Will have to look at my notes to see if there's anything about IOL - have only seen on the 40-week check 'discuss sweep and give leaflet about IOL'.

You can see stats about hospitals here it's an amazing resource, although not every hospital is up to date - my trust seeminlgy didn't provide data to one study a couple of years ago, but this seems recent. You can get induction rates, instrumental rates, ELCS and EMCS rates and other stuff about MLUs if relevant.

Lol at Purple's mum wanting an aquarius baby - to be fair, I'd be the same wink I love aquarians. BB is due on the cusp of cancer and leo, and I honestly don't mind which it ends up as for very different reasons. Cancer babies are very loving children (especially of their mums) tho can be moody, while leo babies are extrovert and very active (which would fit in just great with us) - judging by the usual level of activity, I'd suspect there'll be a strong leo presence in BB's chart - but have promised OH not to delve into it too much for a few years so as not to unintentionally colour my views of it (was amateur astrologer in other life, not so much at the moment tho).

Cavort Tue 09-Apr-13 09:49:18

Thanks for that Brave, my hospital seems to fall at about the average for national stats. It's almost disturbing that only c. 45% of women have unassisted deliveries considering it's what our bodies have allegedly evolved to do. confused

I have so far taken the attitude that there's no point worrying about it until the time comes, but as the weeks tick along it is starting to play on my mind. I was smugly thinking any decisions would be taken out of my hands because I was destined for the easy option ELCS for breech, but now she's transverse it's occurring to me that I might have to actually give birth! shock shock

In other news, my scales think I have lost 2lbs since last week. What's that all about then? confused

Cavort Tue 09-Apr-13 09:56:16

One of the suggestions by Spinning Babies to correct a transverse lie...

"Stand on your head in a pool of warm water, such as a backyard swimming pool or a therapeutic pool at a hospital or rehabilitation center. Some hotels will let you join a swimmer’s club."

I don't know about you, but my backyard swimming pool is out of order and I suspect it may cause a few funny looks in the other places. As well as probably requiring scuba diving equipment. hmm grin

BraveLilBear Tue 09-Apr-13 10:03:00

I had a puddle in my backyard for a while... not sure it would help much!

And Cavort if junior stays transverse, you will have to have c section, there's no other way of getting it out, unlike with some forms of breech. My friend had to have a c-sec for that reason - she was actually a bit gutted as was all set for hypnobirthing!

Love the weight reduction smile last night I tipped 10stone and panicked alsightly as that would be +3 lbs in a couple of days! But this morning I was back to 9st 10ish grin

Don't know why I'm trying to avoid this inevitability - normal weight gain would take me to 11 stone minimum come the end - but we are still women after all, aren't we? wink

janey1234 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:15:41

cavort I too would love to feel I had to have an elcs for medical reasons, just because it takes the decision out of my hands! Babyjaney still transverse for fingers crossed wink TBH not sure if it is an easy option, recovery sounds horrendous for some but I'm choosing not to think about that. But given I have a 49% risk of a csection (according to my consultant, based on age, from my particular hospital stats) alone, given other interventions eg ventouse, forceps ets the odds are very much against me having a 'natural', uninterrupted vaginal birth. Argh!

Still, if BP continues to be high and protein remains in urine I guess it could well be out of my hands as she said. However I really, really do NOT want an elcs due to pre-eclampsia, too risky for us both. Just hope the consultant is being overly cautious with my now fortnightly appointments.

ELCS due to being transverse for me too please! wink

Cavort Tue 09-Apr-13 10:19:16

Brave what on earth are you doing getting on the scales at night?? Scales are definitely a morning activity when you are at your lightest and preferably after a toilet visit. Yes, I am really not looking forward to the 25-35lb weight gain which is recommended (currently gain is 16lbs).

I would definitely decline an ECV if she was breech, but I believe an ECV from transverse is much safer statistically and has a much higher success rate so I will have a quandary if she stays where she is. Although this video is enough to put anyone off!

HazleNutt Tue 09-Apr-13 10:20:39

I have a pool but it's a bit chilly at the moment. You're all welcome to come and stand on your heads in it though. grin

As for weight reduction, we're at a stage where the baby needs an extra 300 kcal or so and there's not that much room in the stomach any more, so this would explain it. Has not happened in my case, of course - scale is showing numbers it has never seen before envy

This thread is not accepting new messages.