Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated Elderberries (thread 2)

(1000 Posts)
Cavort Sat 02-Mar-13 10:10:47

Oops, seems we ran out of room without noticing!

BraveLilBear Tue 05-Mar-13 16:10:06

Oh that sounds like a nice treat janey, hope that compensates for cold a bit.

The beech thing doesn't worry me, but I'm sure someone said they were scheduled for 34 week scan for being breech at 20...

Cavort Tue 05-Mar-13 16:48:57

It might have me that said I think MW checks for breech/transverse at around 35 weeks and will discuss various options so no point worrying about it until then.

BraveLilBear Tue 05-Mar-13 17:05:18

Aah that would explain it... Remember thinking that was a bit premature smile

Laughing at the vibrating bouncer idea, has cheered my day right up, not that I'd do it - I'm not sharing my toys.
Good news on the scan Bear, seems funny that everyone else has been told what way up their baby is, they never mentioned it to me though most of my kicks seem quite low (right in the bladder quite often, I'm sure it aims) so I wonder if mine is feet first at the moment too?

janey1234 Tue 05-Mar-13 18:54:10

That's exactly where I'm getting kicked too purple, so sounds like it!

Cavort Tue 05-Mar-13 19:58:12

Yup, i'd say 90% of all my baby movement is very low down. I feel surprised if I feel something near my belly button!

HazleNutt Wed 06-Mar-13 09:23:16

Mine is kicking me all over the place, that's transverse for you.

BraveLilBear Wed 06-Mar-13 11:50:00

Most of the movement I feel is very high up - around belly button, occasionally far off to either side, which fits in with it being at the moment head up and bum down on a diagonal.

Having said that, last night I got belted so hard on the right that it woke me up! I think the anterior low-placenta is why I've not felt anything lower down. Which, I guess means my lucky bladder is getting away with any brutality, and also explains my apparent lack of needing loo breaks every five minutes like most pregnant women!

Am now worried about having a low-lying placenta though. Goddamn google.

HazleNutt Wed 06-Mar-13 13:40:06

I have one too, but doc didn't seem concerned, said it will in most cases move.

Cavort Wed 06-Mar-13 14:07:42

Birth and Beyond class this morning covered pain relief options and positions, which, along with the usual TENS, G&A and drugs, included the importance of oxytocin and endorphins and how their natural pain-relieving properties can be wiped out and labour prolonged by too much adrenaline which is produced if you get too stressed. So basically labour is likely to be faster and less painful if you stay calm.

Except now I feel stressed at the pressure to stay calm during labour! confused blush

Hormones in Labour & Birth

Ah but I wonder if anyone will dare to TELL you to 'stay calm'? I think if my OH told me to calm down when I was in labour I'd rip his face off and feed him his own ears. Actually, I could happily do that for most things he does these days.

I'm having one of those 'I hate everything and everyone in the whole world apart from possibly my cat' days today (again), it's so bad one of my colleagues went to the shops and came back with a kit kat to try to appease me. S'not working so far.

Cavort Wed 06-Mar-13 14:46:06

Yeah well this is the whole problem. If When I am in pain and therefore irrational, I will think he is being patronising (even though he probably won't be), which will wind me up. I think I will have to write him an instruction manual on how to deal with me in labour as I already know I will be a nightmare.

Kit Kat? A true friend would have got you at least a multipack. I hope your day gets better. smile

Ah but a manual wont help because you're bound to change your mind about what you wanted and the poor sod will still get it wrong i.e. you will say that you want him to gently stroke your back and offer words of encouragement and when he tries to actually attempt that at the wrong moment, I have it on good authority that you'll scream at him like a banshee to get the fuck away from you and never touch you again because it was him that did this to you grin

p.s. I'm pretty sure the kit kat was an act of self preservation on her part rather than an act of friendship!

HazleNutt Wed 06-Mar-13 14:56:28

I think it's time to watch "Coupling" again, season 4 episode 4, "Circus of the Epidurals". Have you all seen?

I agree though, knowing that stress makes it worse does not help in any way. Nor will someone helpfully suggesting that we should relax.

As for me, having a serious case of lazyness. Barely done anything at work, planning to sneak out early and don't feel like going to gym either. I can blame hormones, right?

BraveLilBear Wed 06-Mar-13 15:01:00

Purple is it bad that I actually feel a teensy bit sorry for your appeasing workmate wink

Only kidding - hope you feel better soon. I have these periodically. Last night I was having a 'what the hell am I thinking about becoming a mother' session, lying in bed, panicking that I couldn't imagine myself as a good, calm mum in the face of terrible twos, nagging 6 year-olds and arsey teenagers.

Felt very dark and dreary and couldn't sleep as a result. Then I did fall asleep and got such a whack from BB that it woke me up and snapped me out of it. Think I may have been projecting my worries because s/he wasn't very active yesterday after the scan so was very happy to have BB 'back'.

Today it's back to normal, pummeling me in every direction, possibly even a brief hiccup spell - so have decided it was just peed off at being prodded and poked yesterday morning. That or I was.

Hormones, eh.

Sending Appeasing-flavour KitKats...

As for keeping calm in labour. Well. Cos it's not stressful squeezing out something the size of a watermelon from something the size of a small plum, is it. Should be easy!

BraveLilBear Wed 06-Mar-13 15:06:51

Yes, Hazle, absolutely blame away grin

Used to watch Coupling all the time, though don't recall the episode one. Do recall the episode where they meet the Welsh fella the first time, thinking he's a gynaecologist but is actually a film director or something. Tis brilliant smile

Plus one for needing an instruction manual for OH Cavort - thing is, mine doesn't like being told what to do. Am hoping he'll let this be a one off to make all our lives easier...

In fairness, I really like the way he is with me when I'm in acutely stressful situations like in hospital - he tends to try and make jokes or funny comments about things around us to distract me. Then again, when I landed in hospital for THAT issue in week 9, he seemed stressed and withdrawn, I think because he felt out of control and didn't know for sure if everything was ok. He may also have guilty for not believing how bad it was (tho I think this is more likely my secret wish lol)...

HazleNutt Wed 06-Mar-13 15:16:47

The whole 4th season (which is otherwise unfortunately not as good as the others) is about having a baby. Very appropriate time to watch it again wink

Cavort Wed 06-Mar-13 15:25:24

I think my instruction manual might start something like...

1) Under no circumstances are you to stroke/tickle/caress me in any way unless specifically requested (very unlikely).
2) Any swearing/name calling/direct personal abuse from me is to be completely ignored and not responded to.
3) Do not eat my snacks and drink my drinks.
4) Agree with everything I say.
5) Do not say 'It will all be over soon.'
6) Do not look disappointed in me if I choose to have pethidine and/or epidural.
7) Do not complain about how tired you are feeling.

In fact, I think I could go on forever. It might be safer if DH just watches through one-way glass. grin

HazleNutt Wed 06-Mar-13 15:35:48

I'll add:
- whatever I might have said earlier that I want/don't want or you should/should not do, even if asked, is no longer valid. I'm asking now so get me the f"&#&ing epidural!!!

BraveLilBear Wed 06-Mar-13 16:48:40

Awesome Cavort and Hazle <copies and pastes into word document>

I'd also add: At no point are you allowed to complain about me hurting your fingers/ears/feet/nether regions (and simper at anyone who calls for attention)

And, one for after the birth, What happens in the delivery room, stays in the delivery room - unless I give you explicit permission to tell all.
Allayed to that, 'You will not refer to vaginal examinations as being 'fingered' (actually the phrase he uses is so so much worse that I can't even type it), and will not make reference to people putting their hands/faces/equipment in places they wouldn't normally go. It will not be funny.'

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Wed 06-Mar-13 17:31:56

I missed this fred! Marking my place.

Cavort Wed 06-Mar-13 18:07:22

Hey, nice to see you Zombies, how are you getting on?

MotherOfCleo Wed 06-Mar-13 20:27:29

ok, I have a kind of throbbing pain, well not pain as it doesnt hurt but its an odd feeling, so far ive not had any cramping at all so this is totally new, should I be worried? confused

I think all sorts of weird cramps and twinges and feelings are fairly standard as everything stretches and moves, I had horrendous cramps in the early weeks that had me doubled over in pain sometimes but it's all apparently very common.

This thread is not accepting new messages.