Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Graduated Elderberries (thread 2)

(1000 Posts)
Cavort Sat 02-Mar-13 10:10:47

Oops, seems we ran out of room without noticing!

BraveLilBear Sat 02-Mar-13 11:13:11

Haha I found you Cavort (tho my phone just called you Cavity, which seems harsh)

Lazy ish Saturday for me but need to acquire shredder to sort junk room out. Arrgh.

Was woken up at 730 this morning by OH who's away, and the sound of my phone woke baby bear too, which was funny smile

have a happy Saturday all!

How funny 'the artist formerly known as Rah' I wonder what I looked like in your subconscious!
Well I'm it a happy Monster, OH didn't come home from work until gone 10 last night, stayed I bed until 11 this morning, got up and went straight back! So I'm thinking of changing my name too, to bloody Cinders as yet again even though I'm in quite a lot of pain I've got to do all the housework, lug the washing to mums because our machine is STILL broken and deal with two mental dogs who didn't get walked last night and I can't take myself without any help at all, as bloody usual. Is there any fecking wonder I cry?

I want to swap days with Fairy!

Cavort Sat 02-Mar-13 12:39:48

Yeah apologies for the name change - I know it gets confusing but I was far too obvious with the old one.

Purple I generally struggle to remember dreams but I think you were short (as you've mentioned) with long dark hair. And you were obviously a faster runner than me even with your bad hips. grin

Boo to your OH being a workaholic and leaving you to struggle on your own. But at least he's not around for you to think he's a knob? <clutches at straws>

Yup, short legs, long dark hair, that's me! Your brain just got the running bit wrong, these little legs weren't built for running even before my hips broke.
I still think he's a knob even though he's not here, it just means I can chunter loudly about his knobishness as I clean without him hearing grin

HazleNutt Sat 02-Mar-13 15:12:42

Ah here you are, marking place.

Checking in after my wedding dress fitting - still in love with it!

My sister thought I was joking when I told her I was pregnant sad

Wish she'd just said yay congrats

HazleNutt Sat 02-Mar-13 16:01:16

why would she think that? You haven't told everybody you plan to remain child-free or anything?

Think she was just taken aback. Maybe people thought we would wait to get married first

Cavort Sat 02-Mar-13 18:23:12

When's your Wedding Fairy ? I think an unexpected surprise is a good thing.

Everyone knew TTC was on the cards for us so when we told them everyone was pleased but not surprised.

It's September 2014 and as I'm nearly 34 we didn't want to wait until after we got married to have babies!

MotherOfCleo Sat 02-Mar-13 20:38:52

what an odd reaction fairy. hmm maybe she really was suprised?

I wonder if my folks will react the same as I've always said I wanted to get married first. But I'm 30 now and my OH craps himself at the thought of marraige even after 7 years together, I didn't want to wait till he plucked up the courage to ask me so decided to go baby first, white wedding some time later.

Have to say I'm a wee bit jealous of all the married ladies.

I think she was just floored but even when people have surprised me with 'announcements' I've always pasted a smile on and said congratulations!

I am massively excited for wedding next year - gives me something to aim for to shift the baby blubber!

janey1234 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:21:28

Hello everyone - briefly lost you! Marking place...

Fairy - sure she was just taken aback with the lovely surprise grin

She better have been or I'll sack her from bridesmaid duty lol wink

MotherOfCleo Sat 02-Mar-13 22:00:48

Haha, bet shes thrilled for you. She'll probably call you tomorrow to congratulate you once shes out of shock. grin

My Mum didn't believe me either Fairy and she knew we were ttc! Think it's the shock.

BraveLilBear Sat 02-Mar-13 23:01:38

Gee thanks sis! I guess she must have been expecting wedding first, but still... Can at least say congrats!

Like you guys Fairy and Mother I'm an unmarried... Had planned traditional order but body clock persuaded us to go vice versa so you're not the only ones!

Had very unfruitful shopping trip today, no mat clothes in Next, New Look or DP and H&M only had casual stuff. Will have to venture to much bigger stores but you'd think in a city there'd be something to at least look at...

I'm not married either but we're not in any rush, tbh having a child together is a bigger commitment than marriage anyway!

Cavort Sun 03-Mar-13 00:00:00

Brave I have found it is a real struggle to find Maternity clothes off the peg anywhere except Mothercare and Mamas & Papas, which are both really expensive. My local New Look on a retail park does have a small range though but everything else has been ordered online.

I don't think you unmarried ladies have anything at all to worry about. This is not the 40's. smile I really wasn't arsed about being married before having a baby and it's only turned out that I am because we only wanted a smallish wedding with a quick turnaround. If we'd had a longer engagement I would have definitely TTC in the meantime like you lot.

I think all the talk of weddings had lulled my sister into thinking we wouldn't try for babies before next year lol. Next there's the issue of telling my parents - we don't get on....

Cavort Sun 03-Mar-13 09:27:21

Ahhh the parents. hmm I haven't got much of a relationship with my Mum so I just phoned her and told her in quite a matter-of-fact way before making up an excuse why I had to hang up quicky. It was hard enough getting used to the idea myself without her subtly trying to piss all over my chips (as is her classic style).

Sounds so familiar cavort

I honestly have no idea how my parents will react as I've not seen or spoken to them in 4 weeks!

My mother is this matriarcal type who has her own rules for everything and I've got bored of it all

HazleNutt Sun 03-Mar-13 09:33:27

mother, I've always found it interesting that a man that's "not ready yet" for marriage doesn't have any issues with TTC. Surely child is a bigger commitment? You can always get a divorce if it didn't work out, but will be connected to your DC and their other parent for the rest of your lives.

Cavort Sun 03-Mar-13 11:27:56

Ok so today's pregnancy angst is fundal height. Have any of you measured yours yet?

I was in a busy pub last night standing next to my friend who is due 12 days before me and is now looking gloriously bloomingly pregnant and as a result everyone was courteously watching they didn't knock into her and making sure she was ok. I, on the other hand, just look a bit fat and was being battered by people trying to squeeze past me and standing on my toes etc.

So I felt a bit inadequate wondered if everything was on track and measured FH this morning. It is 23cm and I am 23+4. According to Dr Google the general rule of thumb is that you should measure 1cm for every week of pregnancy in which case I am bang on target, but in my notes there is a personalised FH chart which says I should be measuring 25cm at 24 weeks and a measurement of 23cm is well below the 10th centile line on my chart.

Apparently if you are outside the 10th-90th centile lines you might get referred for a growth scan to check everything is ok. confused

This thread is not accepting new messages.