Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

BROOKING NO ARGUMENT! we will be full to bursting with Springtime graduates all preparing for their sneeze births (part 15)

(999 Posts)
NewYearNewBoo Thu 28-Feb-13 15:14:26

Thought I would do us a new thread, I have gone seasonal again, but we will be so busy welcoming our new gradustes it will soon fill up, I am Brooking No Argument

ignoring the fact I could be sneezing on this thread

Hey Sparks did you spend on new clothes??

We are a bit quiet on here aren't we??

so I had my 12week scan today. after deciding not to have nt done we were advised to have it as the sonographer noticed excess fluid. the measurement was 3.8mm. sad

Oh Cartoon what did they say/advise? I know the measurement can be backed up with a blood test.

I'm sure a brooker with more experience will be along, for now have {{{{hugs}}}}

they took my bloods now just have to wait for the results. I don't really know much about it. especially since we went in there having decided not to have it so I'm confused as why she checked the measurement anyway. I don't really know what if anything happens now.

I think she must have seen that many of them by now that if she noticed it she would want to measure it. I'm sure they will wait for the blood test results and take it from there.

I'm just a bit suprised. I have no idea whether this means it will come back as high risk or not. what is it they look at in your blood. will the fact that I'm 27 bring the risk down a bit?

Hi Cartoon, sorry to hear you're worried about the NT result. Please bear I'm mind that you shouldn't try to interpret the measurement in isolation, it should be based on your age and the blood result too, so I am brooking that the overall result will say toony is low risk. Brooking for you all!

TheLittleFriend Wed 06-Mar-13 21:22:45

Sorry you've had yet more worry Cartoon. I hope you get some reassuring advice , but sorry I have none to offer. Brooking for you though x

Withalittlesparkle Wed 06-Mar-13 21:40:01

No to the new clothes, ran out of time at work, so going to do a bit of Internet shopping at the weekend!!

face hard not to worry but you really have to try and relax! You'll be contacted if something is wrong, or if everything's ok you'll just get a letter saying your risk levels! But as already said you can't interpret the risk on thickness alone you need to wait for the blood results to come back and then they consider your age, family history etc etc

Watching one born every minute now! Day dreaming what my labour is going to be like I'm ordering a nice pain free blood free one!!!

Ooh I watched that too Sparks I would like the first birth please, 4cm to birth before the commercial break will do me nicely smilesmile

surely really with my age and no family history, either side there's a good chance it will come back as low risk.
its just this worry was the exact reason we didn't want it done. but obviously the thickness was enough she felt she had to tell us and then really didn't leave me much choice about the blood test. the way the were looking at us and speaking to us was like we were being told someone had died which makes it worse. I wish I didn't know, even though really I don't know anything yet. the fact that they've spotted something will cause me to worry the whole time now no matter what the result says, from what I've been able to find out it can be very inaccurate.
I'm a bit annoyed that I was left with no choice but to have the test done.

Withalittlesparkle Thu 07-Mar-13 07:17:12

Boo I was completely unaware that labour had commercial breaks!!

Face you'll be fine! Remember Nuchal thickness is only an indication anyway, people results vary wildly ladies on my thread have had 1 in 500, mine were 1 in 10,000! You honestly can't tell anything until you get your letter! Did she take more than one measurement?! Cus I know when they did mine they measured twice and there was quite a difference!! It'll be ok, try to focus on the fact you've reached the 12 week mark, that's a huge milestone!!

From what (limited knowledge) I know, the blood test is more accurate than the measurement, but like you said your age is also taken into account, I know it's a worry, they should be in touch with the results soon.

grin of course sparks, 3 minutes break every 20 mins or so otherwise it would be very hard work indeed wink

Lovely new non-Christmassy thread Boo. How big do they reckon Booby is going to be then?

Great birth story Olives, you did amazing! I hope DS1 is feeling bett today. Our house has been lurgiefied for a couple of weeks with one thing and another. I'm always telling DS to stop kissing DD when one of them seems snotty but it's pointless, he can't leave her alone.

Brooking for your DH and DS to get well soon Bartlet

Sorry to hear you're having to worry about the NT measurement Cartoon. I'm afraid I have no knowledge, but I do know that the measurement alone is not usually a cause for alarm. Too one of the post-grads who still posts on the post-grad thread had a high NT measurement for her DD and the full results did come back as 1 in 10 so she opted to have an amino. Obviously this was extremely worrying for her and her DH. The amino showed that the baby didn't have any problems at all so even with those results everything can still be absolutely fine. Pop over to the post-grad thread if you'd like to know more, I'm sure she'd be happy to explain anything. I don't think she reads this one any more.

thanks for all the kind words. I know I shouldn't be getting all in a state before I get my result. I think its the shock. is it usual that all they tell u there and then is the measurement?
scarlett thanks I shall post over there

BartletForTeamGB Thu 07-Mar-13 09:54:19

Oh dear, cartoon. I hope everything is okay and they get the results to you quickly.

scarlet, thanks. Both DH and DS have both recovered so it is just me and DD at home this morning, so I am enjoying a lazy morning tucked up in bed and lots of newborn snuggles.

I have an appointment this afternoon to see the screening midwife, who I should have seen yesterday. so hopefully ill get a bit more info.

Oh good luck with that cartoon write down your questions, it is so easy to get overwhelmed by information at these things that you forget everything.

Withalittlesparkle Thu 07-Mar-13 11:59:42

Face they didn't even tell me my measurement which I thought was really odd but I saw it on the screen! First thing I did when I got home was google it!!! So hard not to worry

for once Dr goggle hasn't scared me much there's a lot of positive story's. I find it strange that all she told me was a measurement. especially when I hadn't wanted this information.

Frootloopz Thu 07-Mar-13 14:27:05

cartoon ill keep my fingers crossed for your appointment today. They told me my measurement at the scan - i hadnt asked for it either but hadnt said i didnt want it. Ive seen several thresds on here where people have had a higher measurement but all has been fine but i hope you get the results to put your mind at rest soon.

Went to the midwife yesterday and minifrootz has gone breech as suspected. Still plenty of time to turn back but they are sending me to consutant tomorrow to discuss birth options anyway just in case. Anyway i have now got another worry and wonder if anyone has any thoughts - the midwife i saw yesterday is one i am not a big fan of because she tends to write total bull in my notes. So eg yesterday she wrote 'none' under Oedema even though i have had swelling in my hands and feet for months - it says so under all my other appointment notes but she took it upon herself not to bother asking and just to write that i didnt have any. She has written that head is 2/5 palpated even though baby is breech (not possible surely??) she has written 'Frootz feeling well' even though she didnt bother asking me how i was feeling and if she had the answer would have been bloody knackered. She also wrote 'labour bag packed and Frootz aware of when to call labour ward' - she didnt ask me either of these things and in fact my bag isnt packed. None of this is a huge deal but i find hugely annoying esp as i didnt read it until i left her office. Anyway, what is worryng me is when she measured fundal height she just said 'height measures fine' to me verbally. However on looking at my notes she has written 'fundal height - 33cm'. 33 cm is what i was 2 weeks ago at my 34 week app - im now 36 weeks. This to me seems wrong as surely height should have changed in two weeks?? Can anyone advise? Have got myself a bit worried now that minifrootz isnt growing!!

Withalittlesparkle Thu 07-Mar-13 14:33:08

frootz can you book an appointment with a different midwife? Just so you can get double triple checked. She shouldnt be making assumptions, not at this stage!!!

Frootloopz Thu 07-Mar-13 14:43:59

Well ive got another appointment booked in 2 weeks and i am seeing the consultant tomorrow re Breech so i figured i would ask the consultant tomorrow about the measurement thing - perhaps if she doesnt help i will call and try to speak to another mw - good idea. In future i will be reading what they write before i leave!!

Hi Froot I'm glad you have another appointment tomorrow but I would be very tempted to call her on her mistake or at very least speak to another mw and make it clear what she has done. That is shocking at this stage!

*Cartoon' hope you are ok with your appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now