Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2013 Part 7: As our miracle Alex continues to grow & the one that sees us reach TERM

(996 Posts)
toobreathless Thu 21-Feb-13 18:56:25

Over here Ladies!

As the title suggests our fore runners will almost certainly hit 37 weeks this thread.

And the wonderful little Alex will hopefully continue to go from strength to strength and edge closer to the door home with Mama

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1658011-April-2013-part-six-what-does-the-third-trimester-have-in-store

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1560543-April-2013-stats-thread

toobreathless Thu 21-Feb-13 23:15:15

Likecandy don't mind sharing, DD1 is Hazel Jane and looks like DD2 will be Celeste Joy. Wanted an earthy/nature/heavenly theme without being overly matchy. I LOVE Iris but DH felt it was too matchy with Hazel. Maybe if wd have DD3....I could name hundreds of girls but really struggled with boys for some reason.

LikeCandy Thu 21-Feb-13 23:20:55

Aww those are lovely names! We considered Iris, but it sounds a bit odd with our surname. You also have one of my and one of DHs grandmas names in there too!!
Will you shorten Celeste to anything?

toobreathless Thu 21-Feb-13 23:37:01

Not sure, I am keen to avoid DD calling it 'lestie' or 'lexi' she is just learning to talk and it sticking so we might use Essie as a nn.

MumOfTwoCats Fri 22-Feb-13 00:10:10

Oh bum posted in the old thread. I'll see if i can copy and paste on my phone ... you're moving to fast for me!

32+4

MumOfTwoCats Fri 22-Feb-13 00:15:09

I can copy but not paste! will try again tomorrow!

JaquelineHyde England Fri 22-Feb-13 01:43:16

WooHoo marking my place.

Will this be the one where we all begin popping???

Fluffeh England Fri 22-Feb-13 07:26:02

Wow probably the last April thread? I remember the first one but didn't dare post on any until I was past 12 weeks. I also remember counting the days to 12 weeks and now I'm counting the days to 39 weeks eek!
My friend is due in 11 days, its so scarily close for all if us now.

I've been washing and sorting all the baby clothes/blankets etc and there's so much! Has anyone bought beyond 0-3? We have lots of up to 1 month and 0-3 but I don't know if we should get the next size up yet as British summers are so unpredictable it may be 22 degrees or 10 degrees and obviously the clothes need to be weather suitable.
I found a fantastic pack of baby knitting patterns in the local library. Traditional cardis, dungarees and hats, mittens and bootees. They are mainly really cute so I've asked my aunt to knit us some of the cooler items in colours other than pink as I'm finding it hard to get non pink/white knit wear for a girl in the shops.

SneezySnatcher Fri 22-Feb-13 07:40:21

jj and breathless thanks for the advice. I know it's probably to be expected but it's driving me bananas! I slept badly last night (whole arm is achy) and the swollen area is bigger but I suppose it's better than whooping cough!

Off to see Girls Aloud tonight blush so that'll take my mind off it!

fluffeh we've bought a few 3-6 cute summer tomorrow with buckets and spades on for the beach and a couple of hooded all in ones for our camper an trips as it will be chillier at night. Just couldn't resit! All eBay bargains tho...

toobreathless thanks for starting the new thread. It really does feel like the home straight!!

Can't wait to meet our daughter. CS for me at 39 weeks so 31+ 3 today and 8 weeks to go!!

Mama1980 Fri 22-Feb-13 08:06:30

Found you all smile have to say the title made me teary in a good way-and because its worth saying again everyone on this thread is awesome!
Dd is gong to get to hold Alex tonight the first time he's been held by anyone but me properly she is so excited. I have to go get ready for the porter to see alex then physio but I'll update after properly

Dysgu Fri 22-Feb-13 09:34:26

mumoftocats (hope you have joined us over here but I think this is in response to s post on the old thread) the biggest issue with my GD is that it means I am almost constantly thinking about food, which is something I did not used to do! Always thinking 'when did I last eat?' 'what should I eat next?' do i need a snack?' 'what is this food going to do to my levels?' and so on.

I am eating a lot more eggs, cheese and ham as well as carrot and cucumber sticks with hummus. Bread is the only carb that I struggle to do without but I am eating more bagels or pitta bread - they take longer to chew so it feels like I am getting more even if I only have half!

My GD is totally diet controlled so they have decided I do not need growth scans and don't need to 'waste my time' sitting in the waiting room of the diabetes centre every other Thursday! My next appointment is in 4 weeks time - I will be 35 weeks by then and this baby may well have already put in an appearance....

I hope you manage to get your insulin levels sorted out.

Dysgu Fri 22-Feb-13 09:40:57

likecandy I like all of the names on your list but we are still not sure that we have found the right name - for a boy or a girl as we do not know what colour we are having!

toobreathless We like Celeste too - although might be edging towards Celestine as a first name possibility. If we go for it, I think we would shorten it to Ce-ce; but this is what puts me off using it as DD1 and DD2 call each other Siss and Sissy and I love that and don't want them to stop but it sounds too like the short version of Celestine IYKWIM!

Mama how exciting for your DD to get to hold Alex - that will be a lovely moment fr you all smile

Novia Fri 22-Feb-13 11:06:19

Marking my place!

34 weeks today and still 3 weeks of work to go - counting the seconds until I'm off. sad Finding the commute very hard work now, especially the 1 mile walk to the station in the morning. Just consoling myself that keeping active now will help with the birth!

In response to the lovely ladies looking for inspiration, we've had baby's name for a while now. We are going for a Spanish name (to match our surname) so she will be called Nerea (ne-ray-a) with a middle name of Joyce for my grandma. Nerea means 'mine' in Basque!

I also loved Rosaline, Seren and Allegra - but those are on the back-burner for the future! smile

giddypants Fri 22-Feb-13 12:20:46

Hello, just going to mark my place.

usernamegoeshere Fri 22-Feb-13 12:48:29

I really hope I get a baby on this thread, am exhausted and really bored now of feeling like a massive lump! Feel horrible for OH I'm just so tired and miserable he is being understanding but I can tell he is worried that I'm unhappy with him rather than hormones.

I can't remember who mentioned it but I'm 4/5 engaged at 32 weeks according to notes, it wasn't mentioned to me though, so I figured was normal.

Need to register with doctor here, it's scary being so pregnant without even knowing how to get to the hospital!

33 weeks today!

Ps- is term 37 weeks? Or 36?

EmpressMatilda Fri 22-Feb-13 13:16:40

Great new thread smile

I reckon this will be the most exciting of them all.

34 weeks today and marking my place.

kitkatsz23 Fri 22-Feb-13 14:08:58

Hello All, marking my place too!

Thank you for starting the new thread. I am totally behind here, this is such a busy thread but I love reading it back every time. I just wish I could memorise all the names.

I'm 30+5 weeks today, a little bit nervous as I have a scan next Friday to see if my placenta has moved or not. As it's totally covering the cervix it is very unlikely that it has shifted. Terrified of the c-section, bleeding etc...

16 days left at work..There are some lovely name options mentioned here, I'm having a girl and she will probably have an Irish name (after my DH).

Exciting times ahead for all of us! Have a good weekend!

Quick post from me, does anybody know if their is anything you can get from doctor to help you sleep. I am so exhausted but cannot seem
To sleep at all. Doesn't matter of its day or night I really struggle.....

Flosshilde Fri 22-Feb-13 15:18:40

Hi ladies, lost track of the last thread a bit so marking my place here.

34+4 for me today and baby hanging on in there. Been in and out of hospital more times than I can count now with proper contractions which then just stop dead. I can't do anything even remotely strenuous (including loading the dishwasher, fgs) without triggering another episode. It's pretty miserable tbh, I have barely left the house other than to go to hospital for weeks now.

Glad to hear Alex and mama are doing well.

angeltattoo Fri 22-Feb-13 15:50:23

Thanks toobreathless for the new thread.

Empress not forgiven you for buying a new matress? Prop the car seat up on books? Why doesn't he strap the baby to the roofrack and be done with it?! grin

I am 33 weeks today, 2 weeks and 2 days left at work! 12th March can't come quickly enough.

faithbaby I am a mostly office and clinic based nurse, work isn't too bad but the commute is killing me. I really couldn't do a ward shift without serious discomfort, you are doing really well, can you finish any earlier? I am pretty knackered and have terrible insomnia but have a feeling i'll be doing much better once I finish work and am resting/nesting. Don't push yourself too hard, you have my sympathy (and admiration)

Hope we all have lovely, restful weekends. thanks

angeltattoo Fri 22-Feb-13 15:57:09

Oh, am a novice as this is a first baby, but I love this thread, it's so great to share and comapre, I assume we'll have a post-natal one?

Cue a lot of 3am postings once our bundles start to appear!

mama you'll have to stay here until you have some company though grin and floss you tell that little one to hang on in there!

photochick Fri 22-Feb-13 18:37:43

fluffeh have to admit I have bought anything I have liked up to 18mths - we have way too many clothes blush.
feeling exhausted at the moment and crying and the drop of a hat. hoping for a restful weekend.
floss sounds like a nightmare but itd good baby is staying put.
right dragging myself off the sofa and off to an NCT sale. better be worth it, it's freezing out there!
31 weeks today

Teapig Fri 22-Feb-13 19:29:04

Yay, new thread! Thanks for setting that up toobreathless.

I'm completely exhausted after a day of making sure the house is spotless for when DH's family come tomorrow.

mama, amazing that you DD will have her first cuddle with Alex. You're both doing so well.

toobreathless Sat 23-Feb-13 00:52:55

Novia I LOVE Nerea, what a pretty but strong name.

Mama so pleased you like the thread title grin hope DD had a nice cuddle? I imagine that was a very special moment for all of you.

Floss was thinking of you the other day, great news baby remains put but it all sounds pretty miserable for you.

angel of course we will have a post natal one, we'll still be chattering away on their 18ths grin

Empress your DH sounds like he's rather anxious about the whole thing to me and is coping by making a joke and being overly casual. It must be scary for them as the changes are happening to us & men/partners can often feel out of control & slightly sidelined by the whole pregnancy and birth thing. My bet is that he is a bit like my DH who openly admits he finds babies 'boring' but adores DD, he says as soon as they get a personality they get interesting which is great as they are a baby for about 6 months then a little person for the rest of their lives!

Cheese in answer to that no, there isn't much and most Drs would be very reluctant to prescribe anything I think. Have you tried lavender essential oil? I'm pretty certain it's fine in pregnancy (check) just don't use it neat. Try a few drops in the bath. Insomnia in late pregnancy is very, very common. I always think its natures way of preparing you for life with a newborn, not that that helps you!

user 37 weeks is officially term which means that a baby born then would not be considered 'premature' most first pregnancies statistically go overdue (average 40 + 8? - I may be inventing this figure!)

34 + 1, I'm going to say I think my baby will arrive on the next thread as I doubt I'll have it before 40 weeks.

EssexWelsh Sat 23-Feb-13 08:42:28

Morning ladies,

Today is my 'fake' 30th birthday, feel like a kid too excited to sleep! I'm due the day after my real 30th so instead am home in Wales having a baby shower thrown by my best friends from school then a party in the night. All my DP's family have come over from Essex too, so after a meal out last night where they have all finally met my extended family, the fun continues today, with sight seeing (the Gower coast), lunch, rugby then 2 parties! Fingers crossed I don't need my usual power nap by midday!!

Nice to have such a happy post, not got one complaint, sorry if others still having a rotten time, just having the most fabulous weekend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now