Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2013 - roll on the second trimester!

(994 Posts)
Creamtea1 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:05:18

Last one nearly full so thought I would start a new one - new thread, new trimester!

BinarySolo Wed 20-Feb-13 20:17:41

Oh I also have a cyst on one of my ovaries. Apparently very common and nothing to worry about. Had to probe the sonographer for that information tho!

andadietcoke Wed 20-Feb-13 20:24:07

binary I had one of those at my first scan, I forgot to ask whether it was still there yesterday!

SGJ Wed 20-Feb-13 20:27:05

Uurgh, just eaten an entire trout. Feel fit to burst but baby will be a tiny genius thanks to special magic fish Omega fatty something powers (v scientific).

juniper9 Wed 20-Feb-13 20:27:33

Readytosettle maybe we saw the same doctor?!

MummyOfPrawn Wed 20-Feb-13 20:31:53

KamikazeeKid, SGJ, and Choccie, my scan is on the 22nd too.
I can't bleedin' wait! I just want reassurance that everything is ok. The earlier talk of MMCs has made me very paranoid.

They don't offer the nuchal measurement in my area. No idea why. Rather disappointed really. They do still offer the Downs Syndrome probability score from blood results but these are pretty indicative when they don't go hand in hand with nuchal tests.

TripleRock Wed 20-Feb-13 20:32:56

Goodness me, I turn my back for a few minutes and we are on page 4 of a new thread!

I've got my scan on 28th, anyone else?

flipflump Wed 20-Feb-13 20:43:31

Is anyone considering a home birth? My midwife said there's a drive in my area to encourage them, she was very convincing but DH looked horrified at the prospect of gore in the front room grinI'm quite keen as it would mean a water birth which I'm pretty keen on. Any thoughts/experience?

kimjayne Wed 20-Feb-13 20:47:48

Triplerock , myself and whyriskit are both 28th scanners I believe. Mines at 11:30am. It can't come round fast enough.

Whyriskit Wed 20-Feb-13 20:53:11

Yes, triple rock - you me and kim are all on 28th. Mine's at 11.50. Maybe I should wear the mumsnet scarf to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and see if anyone else has one on!

badguider Wed 20-Feb-13 20:53:22

I'm not considering home birth because we're in a flat and the walls are too thin!
But this is a picture of our local MLU - looks lovely grin

BinarySolo Wed 20-Feb-13 20:59:41

Would have considered a home birth withy first, but there's no way I would now as I know just how much fluid is involved. Someone told me that the midwife cleans up before she leaves.y response was 'does she have a vax?'

I'm hoping that I'll go full term this time and be able to use the birth centre.

CharlW1 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:00:11

my scans on the 28th too - a week tomorrow!! mine is at 9.30 - will be a nervous wreck!

so exciting to hear everyone's news - I think I missed a few messages - dietcoke are you expecting twins?

BinarySolo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:00:32

*my response

KamikazeeKid Wed 20-Feb-13 21:01:17

Ooo am I the first on the 22nd then!? Mines at 920am.

Pics cost £5 EACH at my hospital absolute rip off. Of course I'll buy one but id like to buy my parents and in laws one but would be forking out £20!! They don't photo copy or scan well either.

My scar tissue around my section feels weird like a plasticine sausage under the skin with a uterus attached!!

Still worried something bad will be found at scan....still one day left to endure at work....my nausea seems less however my actual vomiting is getting worse

To my fellow scan buddies how far will you be on Friday? Ill be 11+2 by my guess

Whyriskit Wed 20-Feb-13 21:03:16

Ooh, badguider, is that Simpson's? Not the bit I'll be in unfortunately. One of my friends had a lovely home birth a couple of years ago, said it was wonderful.

BinarySolo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:08:16

But they do photograph nicely, kamikazee. wink

badguider Wed 20-Feb-13 21:11:24

Whyriskit - it's the lothain birth centre at the Simpson centre at the Royal Infirmary... i've got my fingers crossed to stay low risk and non-induced to go there. I will be happy to forgo the option of an epidural to use the birth centre as it just looks so spacious and relaxing (more spacious than my flat!).

jennimoo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:19:52

TMI alert:
We had hired a pool and planned a home birth last time but no MWs, and not sure DH would agree this time around: a few drops of blood combined with being wet from pool freaked him out a bit! Hope that doesnt sound scary, it really wasn't, it was fab.

flipflump Wed 20-Feb-13 21:32:05

Binarysolo think that pretty much clears that one up then, I'm quite fond of my carpet grin

Badguider, my hospital doesn't have specific MLU, has 1 room with a beanbag on the floor and comfy chair , the other room has the pool. It's not very exciting but better than other more clinical rooms. Being at home is slightly more appealing!

andadietcoke Wed 20-Feb-13 21:48:44

Charl yep, twins. Have known since an early scan at the EPU at 7 weeks, so yesterday was a bit of a check up.

I so shouldn't have chosen tonight to watch my first ever OBEM. I feel a bit odd...

Wincher Wed 20-Feb-13 22:02:05

I'm considering a home birth - they have a great new service in my area where a special team of midwives look after you and come to your house for all your later antenatal care and for the birth and after the birth, so you get continuity of care. My midwife was really pushing it too, and i think it sounds good especespecIally as we all know how busy maternity units are going to be come September. However Dh is dead against it. I have persuaded him to come alongnto an info session next month with the homebirth team. I think he's worried about safety but we are 5 mins drive from the hospital and they transfer you at the first sign of trouble.

SGJ Wed 20-Feb-13 22:41:40

Kamikazee, photos in Colchester are £5 a pop as well, thieving gits! Though last time we got a load for free at 20 week scan as they forgot us and I sat there for half an hour with increasing bladder pressure...
I'll be 12+3 by scan day. Last time I was 13+2 and the pictures were amazingly clear... the one lovely benefit of having to wait that bit longer!

If all goes well again this time I would be a perfect candidate for a home birth, but I hate the idea of the mess and actually, as someone who is very rarely even ill, let alone admitted to hospital, I have to say I quite enjoyed the novelty of delivering at hospital!

Manoodledo Wed 20-Feb-13 22:56:03

I had DS2 in a lovely, fairly small, local maternity hospital. I hadn't even intended to stay the night if all was well, which it was, but then I thought a bit of peace might be nice, and ended up staying 2 nights, as they weren't busy or in a hurry to get rid of me and nobody at home was going to make me hot chocolate and toast at 3 a.m. because I couldn't sleep (adrenalin after the birth, baby slept all night!) Unfortunately, due to funding cuts this unit has gone to 6 hr chuck out, boo! I still think this might be preferable to home birth though. I'd have to tidy the house beforehand!

Manoodledo Wed 20-Feb-13 22:58:15

Also, can't believe you guys all had to pay for scan photos. I've always just been given one (I'm in Scotland), although only one with no possibility to get copies.

MeanMrsMustard Thu 21-Feb-13 03:47:05

How big are these scan pics that cost a fiver? I was given 4 small pics of about 2.5 inches by 4 inches. They feel like they are printed on a till receipt. Very thin! I paid £2 which was ment to be for 1. I hope the same print doesn't cost £20 at some hospitals. That would be totally outrageous!
As someone said, however, they do photograph well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now