Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2013 - roll on the second trimester!

(994 Posts)
Creamtea1 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:05:18

Last one nearly full so thought I would start a new one - new thread, new trimester!

KamikazeeKid Tue 05-Mar-13 20:11:18

Double buggies...any recommendations for these? My ds refuses to be in a buggy and is content to walk and we don't really use his pram..never have really. We bought a Quinny but more because it fit my Clio...then I bought a mummy wagon so now wish id bought a better spec pram!

Im also weary I'll have two to deal with so will need control!

For other spending...as dont need anything I guess I could start stockpiling nappies! ?! Ive bought a toddler bed for ds so think we are all set...

KamikazeeKid Tue 05-Mar-13 20:12:07

Weary? I meant wary...but I am weary too ha ha

Derpess Tue 05-Mar-13 20:15:01

Hello again. Saw the consultant and they persuaded us the screening was right and the fact there are 2 babies does not in fact affect the bloods. Not what we wanted to hear sad we decided to have the CVS as we couldn't cope with a disabled child (or children). I am very sorry if anyone disagrees and I have the greatest respect for people who do but after a lot of agonising and soul searching I know we wouldn't cope.

They did the CVS today and although it wasn't as bad as I feared I still feel pretty traumatised. They should be able to give us the results by Friday afternoon.

Nice to hear of more good scan news today and good luck to those who have them in the next few days.

Keepsmilingsunshine Tue 05-Mar-13 20:39:13

Hope all is well Derpess. Its good that they have seen you and tested you so quickly. Hope you manage plenty of rest and you and your DH look after each other over the next few days.

So lovely to read all the good scan news smile. I can't believe that there is a Nov 13 thread already and we are all around a third of the way there!

I've been grabbing loads of ebay bargains for maternity clothes over the past few days. Don't tell DH but I'm finding quite addictive!!

Girraferama Tue 05-Mar-13 21:08:25

Hi all

serg I treated myself to a baby sleeping ag in the sale at Babes RUs yesterday after we'd had out 12 week scan... Couldn't bring myself to buy anything before the scan so felt quite special o buy the first thing! Told my sister yesterday and she reeled off all the stuff she has that we can have - brilliant!

frog my symptoms eased off at about 10 weeks and have come nd gone but I'm 12+4 now and have felt totally normal for a few days

EmmaDee I found I stressed more in week 11 about MC than any other time ( even after successful scan at 7 weeks) - I think it is just the pressure of knowing the scan is any minute!

Given my sudden consultant comment yesterday can I reiterate BinarySolos question: what happens if you are consultant led? I know I'm seeing one at 20 weeks - what does that mean? And if he's nt worried do they drop it?

Hello to new ladies, welcome aboard!!

Rosyisgonnabeamummy Tue 05-Mar-13 21:10:49

Derpus - the way I see it is that if you know that the fluid test thing will increase or decrease your chances then its worth doing, especially when you have a hard decision to make. Me and hubby were on your wave length. We felt that we didn't want to bring a disabled child into the world, when we have decided to only have one. We want one which will get the best chance of life - controversial I know, but we both believe we are here to give something back to the community, and want our child to do the same. Also, without being all doom and gloom, they are only in your womb 9mths, in the 9mths post birth something could happen which could leave a healthy child disabled. Iykwim

Anyway, deep stuff aside.

We have bought a carry cot, some reusable nappies, baby gym all from eBay. Put a deposit down on Aton car seat and isofix base from m&ps - the only big purchase we will make as new. I'm relying on second hand, gumtree eBay and hand me downs

I am also cautiously expecting lots of gifts as this is the first grandchild and niece / nephew smile

SGJ Tue 05-Mar-13 21:17:35

Is anyone watching 16 kids and counting? THOSE PEOPLE ARE MENTAL. Poor kids.

SGJ Tue 05-Mar-13 21:19:33

Oh and for those wondering, Bugaboos are lovely! We started off with a M&P pliko switch (back in 2010) and whilst lovely, the thing couldn't be pushed with one hand. Eventually got rid and bought a 2nd hand Cameleon on eBay - best buy ever!! I love it and really want (but can't possibly justify) buying a brand new one which collapses all in 1 piece... ah bliss!

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Tue 05-Mar-13 21:32:04

I was consultant led last time and it just meant a couple of extra appointments. I was signed off at the end and told I could deliver on the midwife led unit, only for my blood pressure to shoot up in labour meaning I ended up on the consultant ward anyway. The only difference it made to me was that I couldn't have the water birth I wanted.

Rosyisgonnabeamummy Tue 05-Mar-13 21:40:59

Keep forgetting to say - I started a thread in post natal asking for best items to buy for a new born. Have a look.
Top items include baby sling. Lanisil cream. Breast pads.

2/3 I hadn't even thought about!!!

SGJ Tue 05-Mar-13 22:47:31

FYI - Johnsons are the best brand of breast pad, IMO. Super absorbent and moulded to the right shape!

frogchops Tue 05-Mar-13 23:16:51

Rosy... Great thread about newborn stuff! For a first timer I was feeling quite overwhelmed! Will be checking it everyday!

Been awake since 2.30am & have to be up at 5.30 to catch a flight...I was expecting sleepless nights- but thought i'd be on mat leave before I had to start dealing with that!

jennimoo Wed 06-Mar-13 07:09:23

I was awake for a couple of hours as seem to have a fluey bug sad Really needed to go to work today but really can't, and surly spreading it around is a bad idea...

Am annoyed I couldn't get hold of a flu jab and wish I'd tried harder.

As I was breastfeeding DD when I got pg, I've not been allowed lemsip for more than 3 years now and swear I miss that (and night nurse...) more than wine!

Eeeknumber3 Wed 06-Mar-13 07:10:38

Hiya giraff I shouldn't worry, I have been consultant led both times before, due to an old DVT and injury. It really doesn't mean a lot other than extra appointments, to keep an eye on you. It made no difference to me, other than I was strongly advised to give birth in a 'hospital' rather than a midwife led unit or home birth, but I was fine with that. I could still have a water birth. If it's just to do with BMI, he may well just see you once and drop you, mine was 32, and he saw me once and said he didnt need to see me again. HTH

Eeeknumber3 Wed 06-Mar-13 07:13:48

derpus really feel for you, for what it's worth, we are of exactly the same opinion as you, although as you say, each to their own. The wait must be agonising, I hope it goes fast and all is well.

BinarySolo Wed 06-Mar-13 07:26:39

I really want the new stokke carrier. It looks a bit like the one I already have but with pockets and back support and front and back carrying positions. It's £130 but should last until the baby's 3. Haven't got much else to buy other than a cot and a Moses basket (ds is only 22 months so still in the cotbed).

I've got a graco travel system. I love how sturdy it is, but wish I chosen something smaller and lighter, especially when catching a busy bus.

Kamikazee did you get sock ons for your last dc? If not I recommend investing. They're about £4 a pair but you'll never loose a sock from your baby's foot again so well worth the moderate spend!

jennimoo Wed 06-Mar-13 07:31:50

Sock ons are fab! I send them in new baby cards to friends now ;)

BinarySolo Wed 06-Mar-13 07:38:10

I'm not in any way part of the professionally offended brigade but some of the comments here about disabled babies have made me really quite angry and upset. To imply that such a child would not be able to give back to society is an ignorant view at best. There are many varying degrees of disability so I think it's very difficult (actually impossible) to judge quality of life based on a % that your child may have downs etc.

Sorry if that's offended anyone, but only fair to redress the balance of those who would abort 'non perfect' babies.

BinarySolo Wed 06-Mar-13 07:40:35

Yes jennimoo I recently sent some to Poland. My friends were amazed and very happy bunnies! You can't get sock ons over there!

Kittenkatzen Wed 06-Mar-13 07:57:45

binary whilst I personally agree wholeheartedly with your comments on the Downs/termination issue, I think it's important to remember that everyone's circumstances are different and there will always be people who hold differing views to you (us). It's a very emotive topic but I do believe that this is a place where we should all feel free to voice our opinions and look for support whatever our choices.

I don't think I've worded that very well tbh but basically what I'm trying to say is I think this is one where lots of us will just have to agree to disagree smile

BinarySolo Wed 06-Mar-13 08:07:02

It was really the 'giving back to society' comment that put my back up. That's basically saying that disabled people have less worth, ignoranteven if that's not what that poster meant that comment is sill offensive.

I chose not to have more invasive tests. Pointless for me as I would keep and love the baby no matter what. That's my choice and I don't judge others who want the tests and would abort as they feel they wouldn't cope.

Tbh I don't think any of us know what we can cope with until life throws it at us.

Derpess Wed 06-Mar-13 08:21:42

Thank you for the kind messages. Binary everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion. Don't be too harsh on the OP they were just showing me some support which I really needed and appreciated yesterday. It's very difficult to express these things carefully and at the end if the day I posted my original message for support and that's what I got. I really didnt want to start a debate about the right thing to do, that's what I did and I just needed to share it as I can't talk to people in real life yet.

I'm taking it easy for a few days now so am still in my bed! Hope you all have a good day today.

BinarySolo Wed 06-Mar-13 08:40:09

Derpess I'm not trying to start a debate or judge you. It's absolutely your choice and with twins I can see that life would be much harder if they were disabled. It's a horrible choice to have to make and I understand why you had further testing and really don't envy your position.

That said, I do feel a little like I'm being like I'm being told to shut up because my opinion is the opposite. I'm pro choice, but know that that route is not for me. I'm not judging anyone who has further screening dh and I thought long and hard about it and decided no matter what the results of the nt were furthe screening wasn't worth the risk for US. It is a personal choice.

And I'm sorry if I sound harsh but the comment about being of use to society is offensive to me and has upset me. I've been very careful with the wording of my posts as I don't wish to offend anyone, but I didn't feel that I could not comment on what that pp said.

Derpess Wed 06-Mar-13 08:50:08

Hi Binary. Sorry, I wasn't trying to tell you to shut up and I completely respect everything you say. I was just saying that even though what was said may have been ill expressed it was well intentioned as ultimately it was someone showing support for another at a difficult time.

Sorry if I have confused/misread anything, very hormonal and hyper sensitive at the moment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now