Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oct 2013 come and grab a seat on the first trimester bus!

(981 Posts)

New thread grin

Soupqueen Mon 18-Feb-13 16:42:48

sal, hope the scan gives you reassurance.

moonblues, I'm in Scotland and definitely getting a 12 (and a bit) week scan.

Got my appointments through today - booking in 7 March and scan 3 April. I'd hoped for the week before as DH and I had wanted an April Fools announcement. Waiting until April also seems like so much longer - even though it's just a few days. Exciting though!

candr Mon 18-Feb-13 16:52:41

Goodness, had forgotton how many things you had to be careful of when pg. Boo to all the morning sickness, am so hoping I don't get it as bad as last time. Can I be added to your list please? I am 34, have DS17m and EDD is 26Oct.
Think we will tell family at mothers day lunch as sister and MIL will be there. Think sister will be pleased I will only be 4months at her wedding as don't want to take attention away from the bride (or be a huge bridesamid though will be at the stage of 'is she a bit fat or is she pg' stage)
Has anyone else got the new scan machines at their hospitle? my friend was at Reading and they had just got them, apparently the picture and detail is so much clearer than the older machines.

Sephy Mon 18-Feb-13 16:53:20

At the GP this morning he didn't give me any information about a booking in appointment or a scan or anything... But then I have got to go and see an obstetrician (got kidney problems) so that might be why ?

Also I had to ask for the form for free prescriptions, it wasn't offered. Has anyone else got it or am I just being tight to demand it when u haven't yet even had a pregnancy prescription!

Soupqueen Mon 18-Feb-13 17:12:36

sephy, I got my booking and scan dates through the post - a week after seeing my GP. We don't pay prescription fees in Scotland, so can't help on that one.

roxvox Mon 18-Feb-13 17:27:10

sephy I didn't get anything either. The Dr even gave me a prescription for my pregnancy induced headaches, but no free prescription form! He told me to ask for a MW appointment on the way out and the lady at reception calculated it for when I am 7+1 (Wednesday). I thought I might have my blood taken, or my blood pressure checked or something, but I got nothing! It was frustrating at the time but now I just can't wait until Wednesday! I hope I can get a "everything is going well" confirmations from the MW.

roxvox Mon 18-Feb-13 17:28:55

Oh, and I haven't had any dates sent through for the first scan. I am hoping that the MW will arrange all of that for me on Wed. Like I said in an earlier post, if they can't do a scan in my 12th week (after which we are hoping to tell family) then we'll be looking to get a private scan that week.

HotSoupDumpling Mon 18-Feb-13 17:31:37

Sephy - you're not being tight at all - I wasn't offered the MatEx paperwork (I think that's what it's called) and am calling the GP surgery this week to request it! You also need it to claim free dental work.

I think SoupQueen is right, you'll probably get the dates separately through the post, that's what happened to us. My GP didn't mention booking/scan stuff at all (apart from to wave his hand airily at a question about c-sections, saying 'oh, ask the midwife at your booking appointment' humph) until we specifically asked him.

P.S. Hello SoupQueen! I feel like we're nickname relatives.

roofio87 Mon 18-Feb-13 17:39:57

I didn't get offered an exemption form either, but I have a medical one so I didn't push for it either!! will ask midwife at booking in though for free dental!!

Sal1977 Mon 18-Feb-13 17:49:27

I had to get a prescription on Thursday and when I handed it in, said to the girl at the counter that I'm preggers but don't have a certificate yet, she said that it was fine and to tick it any way and that I might get a letter requesting a copy in the post but might not. Didn't have to pay for the stuff so happy days!!

Iheartcrunchiebars Mon 18-Feb-13 17:54:01

Oooh a shiney new thread!

I talk to my bump all the time mainly trying to convince it to stay put!

First doctors appointment. I'm so excited!
I've got this really strong feeling its twins. Anyone else?

Rockchick1984 Mon 18-Feb-13 17:55:30

Hi all! Re telling people, I try to think up something to tell people individually so when I told my shopaholic mum, I said we need to go shopping into the city rather than just town soon, as I want to go pram shopping! Took her a minute to realise what I was on about!! My dad usually takes me, DH and DS away in December so I told him we wouldn't be able to go this year as there wouldn't be room in the car for DS's camp bed and a travel cot smile People I'm not that close to I'll probably just put a scan pic on Facebook, last time I left it til the 20 week scan though rather than 12 week.

MrsExcited Mon 18-Feb-13 18:35:25

Blimey you lot have had a busy day haven't you!! 3 Pages already!

Well feeling okish(the smell of everything is still getting me!) today, back at work after half term so shattered

A friends at work had to go home today as his wife (who was only one day less preggers than me) was bleeding heavily thinking it was an mc, that was scary!!

So frustrated at the fact there is nothing i can do to keep baby-bump, nothing i can do if things go wrong - missing being in control!!!

Having had my booking in appt on Friday, really civilized in my living room! the next thing to get organized is the scan, i have to ring when i a 8 weeks - is there any harm in me ringing just before - 8weeks is on a Sunday!!
also got my appointment with the obstetrician at 14 weeks, so need to have been scanned by then - only seeing him due to having had a gastric band fitted 7 years ago, need to ensure it will behave itself!

It all feels go go go!

Haylebop12 Mon 18-Feb-13 19:00:37

Anyone actually thrown up yet? If not then I win. Erugh it's started. Really dnt fancy a hospital admission this time and really can't have any time off work. Not financially they just need me. Hence my overtime!

Serious question... I was prescribed cyclizine when I was admitted last April due to HG. I still have some... Can I take it? I am 6 weeks today. I was 7+4 when I had it prescribed. I'm fine with taking it, desperate in fact but my mum is concerned its top early in the pregnancy. What are your th

Haylebop12 Mon 18-Feb-13 19:01:10

Thoughts?

Posted too soon!

Topslou Mon 18-Feb-13 19:10:09

Wow, can't believe we're on the second thread already. How many more do you think we'll get through before all the EDD and the real things have passed?!?!

So far we've told my mum and one of my best friends. Wasn't going to tell her but she told me she was due on 1st October so then I definitely had to tell her. It's lovely to have her and all you ladies to compare symptoms with. I don't seem to have any of the standard ones but am sharing lots of the others, insomnia, vivid dreams, super strong sense of smell, the constipation followed by the other. Just started to get the swollen sore nipples. Hoping the ms stays away a bit longer as that will be a giveaway as I run from one end of the office to the other to get the toilets!

Off to aqua fit shortly which I love but it doesn't start til 8 so trying not to sit down between now & then or I'll be fast asleep and not going anywhere!

Bronzemoth Mon 18-Feb-13 19:13:12

Juniper904 (or anyone) Could you let me know what a walk in early pregnancy clinic is - is this something your doctor does or is it somewhere else. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and have quite a few questions that I'd love to ask. The Doctor I've seen seemed to want to get rid of me in 5 mins flat and I felt too intimidated to ask all the questions I wanted to ask. The internet has been invaluable so far and for the most part reassuring.

pinkbuttons Mon 18-Feb-13 19:14:44

Not sure about cyclizine sorry hayle Ive been sick on and off or past week, twice this morning but I blame the neighbours cooking at 10 o clock bleugh. Sorry cant be more help maybe call dr to check?
I know what you mean about not being in control mrs Im wavering between not worrying because theres nothing I can do and panicking because theres nothing I can do... Makes no sense at all. Hope your friends wife is ok. Also Id definitely ring on the Friday before your 8 weeks smile A couple of days cant hurt.
Had a letter through in the post today about a research trial in pregnancy in my area. It is to do with vitamin d in pregnancy and if I was to do it would get a 4d scan which we cant afford to pay for privately... Very tempted.

Also like the idea of telling people on April fools, shame our scan is on the 2nd April! not very inventive with these things at all so keeping an eye out for ideas, some of them are lovely.

Hope everyones had a good Monday, I already cant wait till the weekend!

haylebop you dont win im afraid last week I stared being sick at 6 weeks worst had to be a full steak pie dinner in the restaurant bathroom sad really not sure about meds but I have heard its safe I would check with nhs direct/24

Haylebop12 Mon 18-Feb-13 19:18:43

Damn I never win! Will call NHS direct and see what they suggest.

terrifiednewbie Mon 18-Feb-13 19:20:09

wow this thread has moved fast-will have to scroll through and read it all at some point.

bronze-Epu are basically walk in centres gore early pregnancy/ gynae probs (definitions and cut offs vary between centres generally) where if you have a problem in early pregnancy you can go. often long waits. generally advised to reserve for more serious probs such as possible ectopic pregnancies, bleeding/possible miscarriage etc. a lot of antenatal clinics have hot lines manned by midwifes-if you have questions you would like answered, that May be a more useful option for you?

Haylebop12 Mon 18-Feb-13 19:34:03

Called nags direct who obviously said the meds should have been thrown away once is finished them. Not the answer I was looking for but awaiting a call back from my out of hours doc.

Sorry to hear that haylebop out of hours doc should write a new script. Does it stop sickness altogether? I am not so sick today myself but I know that wont last smile

Haylebop12 Mon 18-Feb-13 19:47:14

It did for me, although still felt nauseas at least I could eat and keep it down

Natalieand Mon 18-Feb-13 19:47:51

Ahh now I'm sorry to be all me me me again but I just can't read back through all the messages ATM
Had my dating scan and I thought I was 5+5

Turns out their are currently two gestational sacs and two yolk sacs but soon graphed wants to see me again in a week to check on their progress eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkk !!!!!!! Can't believe it!!!!!!! She measures me at 4-5 weeks xx

Wow natileland congrats dating is not always accurate this early on do you have twins in the family? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now